HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I may be lynching myself here, but strangely enough, I find RT: The Untold Story, more entertaining than Shadow Chronicles. I've tried to wonder why...is it the nostalgia? No, can't be that, cause I don't really have too much of that to justify my position. Can it be,,, wait, yes, only because it is Megazone 23 with a choppy-ass story and cut and paste of Southern Cross and Megazone. Even still, the Megazone footage is enough to keep me somewhat entertained. With Shadow Chronicles, seeing it just makes me want to break something.

I may be lynching myself here, but strangely enough, I find RT: The Untold Story, more entertaining than Shadow Chronicles. I've tried to wonder why...is it the nostalgia? No, can't be that, cause I don't really have too much of that to justify my position. Can it be,,, wait, yes, only because it is Megazone 23 with a choppy-ass story and cut and paste of Southern Cross and Megazone. Even still, the Megazone footage is enough to keep me somewhat entertained. With Shadow Chronicles, seeing it just makes me want to break something.

I haven't been able to make it all the way through Untold Story. Megazone was the first anime I ever watched raw, and I've seen it too many times to be able to sit through a rearranged, redubbed version of it.

That said, there was a certain loopy fun to it because I knew Megazone so well...kind of like watching Turkish Star Wars and being stunned at how they change everything around so that it all means something COMPLETELY different than it did originally.

Oh I agree that it's entertaining.

But what is painful about it is that Robotech fans and Harmony Gold talk about their work as if it's the second coming. I mean - I have no problem with a company that gets the license to a cartoon, does a cheesy dub, throws it on TV, and then the cartoon goes down the memory hole. That happens all the time.

But Harmony Gold has this habit of presenting all of its' works as milestones in the history of "anime."

I even will go so far as to say that I'm sick and tired of the platitude that Robotech was so great because it introduced mature content like "death, love etc" to a "cartoon" because that is only an "achievement" insofar as the American market is concerned, and it's certainly not solely something that Robotech did, since Transformers had Optimus Prime die and there were always cartoons that sometimes tried to attempt a more mature story line.

But it seems to me that HG talks about it as though the simple fact that some people die in Robotech is ENOUGH to make it this great masterpiece.

It's like if I wrote a story that went like this:

Bob got into his transforming robot to fight the aliens, but then he got shot and died. The End.

Is that a great literary masterpiece just because Bob dies? No. In terms of cartoons in the USA, Robotech was just part of a broader development in the market where there was a general push towards more mature content.

And let's not forget that even in the USA, mature content was present in COMIC books before it moved slowly into animated programming. I mean - in issue one of Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, there's a heck of a lot of cutting, hacking and bloody chopping ending with the Shredder being impaled, and falling to his supposed death from a roof top - and I'm sure that's just the tip of the ice berg.

So even if we forget about Japanese anime like Zambot 3 or Ideon, it's not like Robotech's "contribution" on this front of "mature content" is anything new.

BUT - insofar as it MIGHT have been a merit 20 years ago; nowadays you need a tad bit more meat in your story to make it interesting. It's not enough to say "people die!"

But then - I keep operating under the illusion that there is a story here.... I guess there is...in the novels...for better or for worse... but that's just about it.

Pete

When you think about, the death toll has been really high in the material over the years. For example, at least two generations of people died gruesomely, some for really no reason whatsoever, two alien species were almost made extinct thanks to the narration and legalities (Zentradi and the Masters, maybe), a couple of human fleets from Mars and space stations, and people on Triol (curved stomped by the Invid). If anything, Robotech revolves around unnecessary death, many of which happen because characters served their purpose and are disposable. And then there's things like Shadow Chronicles, where the crew put most of the Mospeada crew on a bus like they don't matter anymore. Oh, and that Romeo guy. Crap, he also had Kakizaki's green color scheme, didn't he? Stupid lazy homages and plagiarism.

Anyway, only Rick Macgruffin Hunter really matters.

Edited by Einherjar

Hey, just went to www.protoculturetimes.com (JT, or Zen72's site) Very interesting Random Thought podcast. Here's the summary

...It's there for all to see Kevin....This not only insults but encourages violence....you are quick to chastise fans who call your mods idiots...but how about someone that calls for the death of real people....

Double standard, thy name is Robotech.com.

Let's see if you CAN enforce your TOU.....unless of course you are the same as your mods and actually endorse this....

Speaking of which ROBOTECH'S Fric and Frac have made it "official"

Quoting one MEMO1DOMINION;

"MAV AND I PRETTY MUCH KNOW HOW HOLLYWOOD WORKS. I LIVE HERE AND SEE IT ALL THE TIME. MAV IS DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN THE SAME AREA OF PRODUCTIONS IN CANADA. SINCE HG CAN'T SPEAK WITHOUT APPROVAL, MAV AND I TRY TO AT LEAST FILL IN THOSE GAPS WITH OUR IDEAS OF WHAT "MIGHT" BE GOING ON. AND SO FAR WE BEEN RIGHT."

One feels entitled to call fans who don't agree with him misguided and have OCD

The other threatens fans with banning for calling him "narrow-minded" (which can be synonomous to misguided)

Double standard thy name....

Hope you two have good explanations (probably excuses more accurately) for the "Hollywoood workings" when and if the Live Action Movie is shelved...

LOL!....try and get away with passing off those opinions as facts OUTSIDE of Robotech.com and Robotechx.com...now that would be more entertaining than The Shadow Chronicles.

And why would I bother to post on Robotech.com my thoughts for them only to be shot down?

By the way, have you made Pizza the Hutt a moderator yet?

And thanks for stopping by Harmony Gold! I should be flattered that you guys choose to notice little ol' me...

Somehow though...I'm not impressed....

Seeya!

REVIVE FOR 25!

-JT

After reading that, it all makes me LMFAO!!! Especially this...

"MAV AND I PRETTY MUCH KNOW HOW HOLLYWOOD WORKS. I LIVE HERE AND SEE IT ALL THE TIME. MAV IS DIRECTLY INVOLVED IN THE SAME AREA OF PRODUCTIONS IN CANADA. SINCE HG CAN'T SPEAK WITHOUT APPROVAL, MAV AND I TRY TO AT LEAST FILL IN THOSE GAPS WITH OUR IDEAS OF WHAT "MIGHT" BE GOING ON. AND SO FAR WE BEEN RIGHT."

Apparently, being a RT mod means you understand how Hollywood works, and that's why if you disagree, you are banned. I'm still trying to figure out what they have been right about, when much of what they've banned people over, they've been wrong about??? Doesn't take rocket science to remember the "use of original SDF:Macross designs in new Robotech productions" fiasco, to see the erroneous claims that have been made. I wouldn't mind seeing Robotech revive in a new and ORIGINAL way (not using the pre-existing designs of MOSPEADA), but the trend and path that it's going on now, I think half, if not more than half the fanbase are not in unison. I think that in order for Robotech to come alive, it probably needs to die where it's at so that someone with vision can pick it up. Maybe that's WB's goals. While this has all been said before, the quote made me think about how highly the mods portray themselves. It's as if they feel that being a mod simply means that what they say is always right. I think that's fine for that site, but the problem is when it gets taken outside of the rt.com community, as it has several times. The more I see of the fans reading through these types of facades, the more it makes me feel that HG should keep doing what they're doing, in order to shrink the fanbase smaller than it is now.

Well Kevin did write in a thead at Robotech.com that people naysayed the Shadow Chronciles and refused to believe it had even been made before it was released - and hey presto - it did get released.

But these kind of arguments are beside the point as always.

The point is always the same: the quality of their product sucks, it is an understatement to say that they are hyperbolic whenever they DO make anything, their range of comparissons and understanding of anime is narrow and they have nothing to do with us except the ACCIDENTAL fact that Macross is part of the pile of anime that they have in their grab-bag and which they have hacked and repackaged.

Let's just say it nice and plainly:

IT IS OBVIOUS THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT MACROSS.

Macross is just one of three anime that they randomly chose. In fact, it's like Jenus' story from one page prior - which I think is what really happened - it's like "go get some cheap cartoon licenses so we don't have to fork out money on creative talent and artists and lets dub it and put it on TV."

"Ok boss - here. I got a couple of shows but none of them are long enough to syndicate."

"Screw it. Just make up some reason why the shows are connected and show it as one program."

"Ok boss."

And that's it.

This is not even the "American version of Macross" - it has nothing to do with Macross. It's an ACCIDENT.

We wouldn't even be at odds with Robotech.com and HG if not for the small accident that they happened to suck in Macross.

I think their consideration for the source material is purely from a business angle - they have about as much respect for the artistic and literary achievements of the original anime they are dealing with as bootlegers of models and other fine toys, figures and kits.

Pete

I think their consideration for the source material is purely from a business angle - they have about as much respect for the artistic and literary achievements of the original anime they are dealing with as bootlegers of models and other fine toys, figures and kits.

Yet, to this day they think they can make a franchise out of it using money, lawyers, and... ugh, being Hollywood swavy(?). They don't even have the in house assets to do anything with it.

Well Kevin did write in a thead at Robotech.com that people naysayed the Shadow Chronciles and refused to believe it had even been made before it was released - and hey presto - it did get released.

It's one thing for speculation to be wrong, however, that seems to make Kevin and the mods think that it always makes them right. But you are right, whether the movies come out or not, going by the facts from Shadow Chronicles, they're not gaining fans, just making some money off of a poorly written time wasting feature.

Even if they did - I don't care. Let them make a live action movie and let Robotech become the hottest property in the US since Transformers. Big deal.

As long as Kawamori and BW can make Macross in Japan - I'm happy. Would I like to be able to walk into a movie theatre and watch EVA 2.0 or Macross Frontier? Of course.

But you know what - it's not HG's fault that I can't. It's mainly the fault of people who don't know and don't care. [note: I don't live in the US]

Thankfully, we have the internet, and mass marketing and global re-packaging to fit regional mass demographics and tastes is no longer necessary and it doesn't matter.

I understand that people who live in the US, especially I guess in bigger metropolitan areas on the west coast where there's a bit of anime culture, it is frustrating that they can't get Macross legally in a DVD store or in a movie theatre or on cartoon network or whatever.

But at least we have Macross and can get it on the internet. Think back to the bad old days when you didn't have the internet and then you REALLY couldn't watch what you pleased - license or no license.

The only thing that is interesting to me about HG and Robotech, really, is the phenomena of Robotech fans who actually fanatically are devoted to the show.

But I guess that just proves that even in the age of the internet, the fact is, if I decided to only visit www.dumbass-views-of-the-world.org and NEVER went anywhere else or read or heard anything else, then I'd STILL be a dumbass - even though I use the internet.

Pete

I have a relative who lives there. I guess by MEMO's reasoning, she should know all about production, too. It must be that knowledge about Hollywood seeps into your brain by proximity, like radiation from nuclear waste.

I have a relative who lives there. I guess by MEMO's reasoning, she should know all about production, too. It must be that knowledge about Hollywood seeps into your brain by proximity, like radiation from nuclear waste.

In a way, it kind of does. A lot of the students in my high school were children of people who worked in television (in fact, one of my pretty good friends was René Auberjonois' daughter, and Oliver Robins, the boy from Poltergeist, was a few years ahead of me; Bruce Joel Rubin's son was also one of my friends), and I ended up learning a fair amount about how films get made just from talking to them and their parents. A couple of my friends work (or, more often, have worked) at the Disney Studios in Burbank. Also, I live in Pasadena, and there is filming going on around here ALL THE TIME ("Madmen" gets filmed down the street from the coffee shop I usually go to...and I often stop to gawk at the classic cars they bring in).

So no, you don't learn much about the higher-level decision-making going on; but if you're observant, you can learn quite a bit about how films and television shows get made.

One thing Memo's right about is that it's WAAAAY too early to say that the film is in Development Hell. If there's no forward progress in two more years, THEN we can start gloating. :D

A lot of the students in my high school were children of people who worked in television (in fact, one of my pretty good friends was René Auberjonois' daughter, and Oliver Robins,

Mental images this conveys (keep in mind we're talking about MY mind here - which is half sick and half empty):

The President of Iran's wife's daughter went to your high school along with some guy from A Christmas Carrol or some other book by Dickens...

I went to high school with Sheverdanza's son. Like his father, he liked to handcuff Russians to radiators and then threaten them with a make shift flame thrower made by spraying deodorant in front of a lit ciggarrette lighter. [Question: what does this make me an expert in?]

Anyways - as for Robotech LAM...judging by how much Don Murphey wrote about during the time leading up to the making of Transformers the movie - and I'm talking years here - I think there would be an equal amount of information and marketing with regard to Robotech if it were going anywhere.

Since there's not - then I think it's safe to say the movie is not going to be made.

The only place where it's constant buzz is here and on Robotech.com.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Mental images this conveys (keep in mind we're talking about MY mind here - which is half sick and half empty):

The President of Iran's wife's daughter went to your high school along with some guy from A Christmas Carrol or some other book by Dickens...

I name-drop so seldom that I think I can be given a little indulgence here once in a while... <_<

Anyways - as for Robotech LAM...judging by how much Don Murphey wrote about during the time leading up to the making of Transformers the movie - and I'm talking years here - I think there would be an equal amount of information and marketing with regard to Robotech if it were going anywhere.

Since there's not - then I think it's safe to say the movie is not going to be made.

The only place where it's constant buzz is here and on Robotech.com.

Pete

You're probably not wrong about that last point.

But...when was Transformers first optioned? I confess that I don't know. I suspect, however, that it would have been quite a number of years before production on it started.

EDIT: Okay, according to Wikipedia. Don Murphy wanted to do a GI Joe movie, but after the invasion of Iraq, Hasbro suggested he do Transformers instead. A treatment was written in 2003. The first draft of the script was written in 2004. A major rewrite happened in early 2005. Another rewrite was done later in 2005, after Spielberg (who joined the project in 2004) approached Michael Bay. Shooting began in April 2006.

So Robotech is moving slower than that, but not MUCH slower (so far, at least). And it doesn't have the benefit of having Spielberg involved. And it's not a household name like Transformers. For a somewhat obscure '80s cartoon property, I don't think we should be expecting any real news about it for at least another year or two.

Edited by Gubaba

I name-drop so seldom that I think I can be given a little indulgence here once in a while...

Oh no - you misunderstand me my dear Gubaba. I do not deny you your indulgence. Rather, I honest to gosh don't know who those people are, but given the context, I feel I should. Instead of just letting my ignorance lay bare, I kind of toyed with the statement :) I never heard of those people is all...

But...when was Transformers first optioned? I confess that I don't know. I suspect, however, that it would have been quite a number of years before production on it started.

EDIT: Okay, according to Wikipedia. Don Murphy wanted to do a GI Joe movie, but after the invasion of Iraq, Hasbro suggested he do Transformers instead. A treatment was written in 2003. The first draft of the script was written in 2004. A major rewrite happened in early 2005. Another rewrite was done later in 2005, after Spielberg (who joined the project in 2004) approached Michael Bay. Shooting began in April 2006.

So Robotech is moving slower than that, but not MUCH slower (so far, at least). And it doesn't have the benefit of having Spielberg involved. And it's not a household name like Transformers. For a somewhat obscure '80s cartoon property, I don't think we should be expecting any real news about it for at least another year or two.

Yep - and the thing to remember is that Don Murphy had an open-to-the-public website pretty much for like 4 years since 2003 where TF fans would post all the time and Don Murphy would update constantly about the progress of the script.

I swear I never heard of a movie being that publically discussed for such a long time WHILE in production. And it certainly wasn't Don Murphy always saying "I can't talk about that."

Instead, it was Don Murphy saying "we wrote X into the script what do you think?" and people giving their opinions. There was a lot of back and forth about what character to put in the show, what they should transform into, how to deal with the "canon" that came before.

I remember that there was plenty of arguments and pissing and moaning and back and forth and it just seemed endless.

I compare THAT experience to the media black out - imposed by HG - on Robotech LAM and am skeptical.

This is why I felt Kevin's "well that's what they complained about before TSC" post at Robotech.com to be important - it's a smokescreen.

It's a total smokescreen because it's like - they accidentally finally achieved something so now they're trying to play it off like some big plan. Like everything went as it should and the show got released and that's that and now they're working on new stuff and it'll also get released and they can't talk about it.

I don't believe that because it makes no sense. WHY wouldn't they talk about it? Don Murphy did and look how great that turned out for TFs - 4 years of shoring up fan support and generating great buzz.

That's why I would gamble that the RLAM is NOT in the works.

What IS going on is simple: Harmony Gold will do ANYTHING to keep up the impression that Robotech is this amazing breath taking show, and that their company is making stuff that is on the cutting edge of science fiction entertainment - easily up there and comparable to Star Trek and Star Wars.

This is a load of bull.

Star Trek and Star Wars are both original works that have made millions of dollars, the former spans four or five tv series and about...what...8 movies? Star Wars is possibly the most revolutionary science fiction/adventure cinematic feature of the 20th century.

And these dip sticks at HG have the nerve to compare themselves and Robotech to THAT?

Look - MACROSS doesn't compare to that.

And in fact - Macross doesn't have to because it's not live action, it's anime, and it's not exactly in the same genre as those shows - it's a different ball park.

Anyways - HG loves the fact that Tobey Macguire once said something about maybe making a Robotech movie - and they will milk this fact until cows fly and cats bark.

It is just one more "reason" to feed their deluded fans into believing that this mediocre bootleg called Robotech is worth their time.

EDIT:

Also - one of the stories I recall Don Murphy telling was how he would send the script/treatment/draft/whatever it's called of TF to studios and EVERYBODY rejected it.

And then like a week later everybody who rejected it calls up and is like "we want it!"

Why?

The way Murphy told it - the initial rejection was done by bosses who were too old to have grown up in the 80s and watched Transformers. But then younger people got word that the bosses had seen the thing and rejected it and they were like "don't do that! It'll be a mega hit! Get it back!"

Now - I HIGHLY doubt the same dynamic will be working in Robotech's favor. Robotech was no where near as popular in the 80s as Transformers and it had no where near the staying power.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Anyways - HG loves the fact that Tobey Macguire once said something about maybe making a Robotech movie - and they will milk this fact until cows fly and cats bark.

Well in that case, I have 100% ironclad solid proof that the Robotech live action movie is in production!

So they work in the adult film industry

Also imagine Robotech 7.

Well in that case, I have 100% ironclad solid proof that the Robotech live action movie is in production!

I can back that up with more 100% solid proof......

Taksraven

*sigh*

I'll be blunt: there have been many times on Macross World where I or others have corrected your "facts." Has there been a single time where it turned out that you were right and we were wrong?

If so, please show me, because I don't recall one.

In other words, check your facts BEFORE you post, and ESPECIALLY check your facts before you tell someone else to "get it straight."

If you want me to go through your post line by line, showing how it CANNOT be true, I can do that. I'd rather not, though. :)

I'm afraid the only way this will be settled and put into the grave is if Macek himself comes in and gives the facts.

Or you could do some research and confirm it yourself. It's not like you can't watch all of this stuff in its original form and you can download rips of the Robotech movie. Stop pretending something is true just because you think it happened. When I was a wee lad I used to think there was a Mega Man X anime but that was never true.

I'm afraid the only way this will be settled and put into the grave is if Macek himself comes in and gives the facts.

Robotech debuted March 4, 1985.

Megazone 23 debuted March 5, 1985.

Harmony Gold didn't buy the rights to Megazone until WELL after Robotech had finished its first airing.

You claimed that you saw a "test run," presumably BEFORE Robotech officially debuted. As you can see, it would have been impossible to edit Megazone footage into anything before Robotech debuted, since Megazone hadn't been released yet.

Additionally, Harmony Gold spent A LOT of money to remove the second moon from Southern Cross. How much more money would it have taken to make BD from Megazone look like Corg from New Generation, and then splice that doctored footage into a "test run," only to remove it for the final version?

But that's neither here nor there, really. The release dates are well-known and easily verifiable. It would have been impossible to make anything like what you're claiming.

We don't need Carl Macek to tell us that its impossible to splice in footage from an anime that HADN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET. <_<

Gubaba, this reminds me so much of all the people saying that they remember seeing a scene in Macross where they show blood in the cockpit of Roy's Valkyrie even though no scene exists. I think most of them read it in the McKinney novelizations and for some reason, it made them think that they saw the blood in the actual episode.

Gubaba, this reminds me so much of all the people saying that they remember seeing a scene in Macross where they show blood in the cockpit of Roy's Valkyrie even though no scene exists. I think most of them read it in the McKinney novelizations and for some reason, it made them think that they saw the blood in the actual episode.

But the people who claimed that they saw that gave it up after they saw the unedited Macross, right?

Well, this memory of Wanzerfan's has gone through several permutations:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry752988

#2 During the episode "Symphony of Light" Scott Bernard blew away an injured and unarmed Corg with a VR-051 Battler Plasma/Napalm mini-missle at point blank range right after the latter crashed his Royal Command Battloid in a scene that was cut for the natoinal release (I had a running war over at Robotech.com over this one, ask them). From the look on Corg's face, you knew the bastard was about to die.

Then someone said that his meory was mixed up with Rbotech the Movie, where BD died that way.

So then we got this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry753406

So that scene I saw during the test run was actually cobbled together using Mospeada footage and some alternate footage from Megazone 23. And here I thought it was a deleted Mospeada scene. Please send this info on to cyc over at Robotech.com along with my sincerest of apologies for not believing him. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Which, as I said, is impossible.

Then Frieflug88 pointed him in the direction of a youtube video of Robotech the Movie, which led to this:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry753598

I'd watch it if this place stilll didn't use freaking dial-up (up to 50kb./sec. from 26.4kb/sec., it's the freaking service and not the modem; damn, we really need to get eiher wi-fi or dsl). I was talking about the scene in the final act of Symphony of Light where they used the Megazone 23 footage, then cut to Scott firing the mini missle, not Robotech the movie. I have yet to see that one though.

Frankly, I don't know WHAT he's talking about, and I don't think anyone else does, either. It quite literally CANNOT exist.

Wanzerfan is also wrong about Carl Macek being from Texas. He's actually from Pittsburgh, according to both Wikipedia and IMDB.

Of course, memory plays tricks on all of us. I distinctly remember two Star Blazers movies (called "Derek Wildstar and the Gamilons" and "Derek Wildstar and the Comet Empire" which I desperately wanted to watch, but my parents wouldn't let me, because they were on from 7:00 to 9:00 PM, and 8:00 was my bedtime. However, there is no record of them on the internet, not even at the official Star Blazers site, so I concluded I must have mixed them up with something else. It happens. Most people give it up and move on. :)

Remember, what happened recently for Robotech is going on because of two moderators and one marginally related news article about the movie. Two mods, one fluff article. It's all their work not HG, but it is probably welcomed. They too are exploitable smokescreens while Robotech stuff tries to move along. Their credibility can take a nose dive and HG would not care since they're just volunteers and not employees. They're just supposed to be moderators for their site, something they seem to have problems following recently.

And I living very close to the Napa Wine Country must make me knowledgeable in viticulture. :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

Okay, so Macek now workes here in Houston, so sue me.

See? This is the problem. I'm honestly trying not to be offensive here, but you make quite a lot of mistakes, and when people call you on them, you either say, "so sue me," or "I guess I put my foot in my mouth again." But then you get upset when people don't believe you. Again, no offense intended...but WHY should we believe you? I've already shown that what you say is impossible.

Check out Robotech Art 1 if you don't believe me, the shot "Scott Bernard's final shot" is taken from that scene where he turns Corg into a grease spot.

Here's the thing. I don't have Robotech Art 1. But why should I go through the trouble of acquiring it, and searching through it (since you didn't provide a page number) just to find something that you claim will prove something that clearly doesn't exist?

If you want people to believe you, shouldn't YOU provide the page in question? I've already gone to the trouble of checking English Wikipedia, Japanese Wikipedia, carlmacek.com, and IMDB to show that you're mistaken. Shouldn't you do the footwork for a change?

So tell you what. Provide a link or a scan to the page from Robotech Art 1, and compare it to New Generation (and/or Mospeada) and Robotech the Movie, and show us your conclusions. Fair enough?

So they work in the adult film industry

Yeah - but not in the way you might imagine - not in the fun way. No.

Instead, their job is to scour the internet for cheap porn from Honduras and Singapour, and then DUB over it.

They just do the dubs.

Pete

Yeah - but not in the way you might imagine - not in the fun way. No.

Instead, their job is to scour the internet for cheap porn from Honduras and Singapour, and then DUB over it.

They just do the dubs.

Pete

This has nothing to do with Robotech, but I remember seeing a special on Japanese TV about Foley work (making sound effects for movies), and they showed scenes from films and had people guess what the Foley artists used to make the sounds.

One of the scenes was of eels wriggling in mud, with a squishy, wet sound. It turned out they used two pieces of Konnyaku gelatin...

post-939-1259305938_thumb.jpg

...and rubbed them together.

Then the Foley artist, laughing, said that the same sound was usually used for sex scenes in pretty much every Japanese porn film of the '70s and '80s.