Best Sci-Fi Movie 2009

VFTF1

Best Sci-Fi Movie 2009  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best Sci-Fi Movie of 2009?

• Terminator: Salvation (obviously!)
    • Transformers II: Regurgitation of the First
    • GI JOE: Rise of Cobra (without the la)
    • Megashark vs. Octopussy (or something like that)
    • Macross Frontier the False Songstress (for all you Espers who can see the future)
    • Star Wars: Clone Wars (that was this year, right?)
    • Star Trek: The Return of Spock (and Kirk)
    • The Ghastly Love of Johnny X (yes, this was a movie!)
    • Sexy Vamps from Mars will Drink Your Blood IV: The Final Battle (no, it wasn't am movie, but it should have been!)
    • EVA 2.0 (Token foriegn film for Gubaba ;-) )
    • Moon (because we like looking at men showing us their butts)
    • District 9 (sounds interesting from what I've read...)
    • Highlander (great...at this rate the Second Coming will happen and I won't know because it won't reach Poland for a couple of months..grumble, grumble...)
    • BRUNO! (Because he's a superior being from another planet silly!)

Ok, I know that 2009 is not over yet, but the summer is over, and that's when most big sci-fi films get shown anyways. District 9 and the Time Travelers Wife might turn out to be the greatest sci-fi works in Human history, thereby negating this poll's legitamicy and bringing an end to the galaxy as we know it... But somehow, I don't see that scenario realistically playing out...and it would be fun to have a vote and discuss which movie was the best.

For my part, I'm voting Terminator: Salvation. For those of you who would like to know my reasons, I invite you to the Terminator: Salvation thread, where I have spelled out in exquisit detail why I'm hard pressed to vote otherwise. The fact that I haven't actually seen any of the other movies, also makes me a tad biased...

Be that as it may, I get the feeling that the only worthwhile one I missed out on was Star Trek, which I'll probably get on DVD...or maybe not... but it was probably good. I'm totally not ever going to waste my time seeing ROTF. I liked the first movie - and I think I'll leave it at that. I will probably get GI Joe on DVD, because I would like to see it, but not terribly driven to running to the theatre to see it.

And of course, I truly do want to see the Ghastly Love of Johnny X.

But seriously - Terminator: Salvation was a great movie. First, it's Terminator, and it's been a long time since we've had a Terminator film. Especially a Terminator film that finally delivered on showing us the future. And this film was very moving and I liked it. It hit a sentimental spot. I know people complained and will complain and most of you guys will probably disagree with my vote on this one - but I for one found the film compelling. I loved the Marcus character, I loved the theme. I loved the action. And I guess I really, really love the Terminator franchise... more than any of the other ones that came out this year...so...

Still curious to see what others say

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

No, I think the Clone Wars was last year.

I haven't seen District 9, but it's on my list of things to do. I also haven't seen Moon, although it looks fantastic, because absolutely no one was showing it around here. Based on all the hype I've been hearing for probably over a year now, I'd actually put money on Avatar as being mediocre at best.

So yeah, Star Trek is the best sci-fi movie of all time.

For Pete's sake, I'll go on record as saying I did enjoy Salvation. It was just nowhere near as good as Star Trek.

I mentioned District 9 in my original post... I just...had no clue that it had ALREADY come out in theatres :o

Sorry guys. That's what I get for living in Poland, where things are always a couple months late... Will insert District 9 into the poll now.

I have also heard of Moon/read about Moon ... and again ... didn't know it had already come out.

Pete

I'm disappointed - why aren't Dragonball Evolution and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li on the polls?

Because it's a list of sci-fi films...y'know, disposable entertainment for the masses. Whereas the movies you mention transcend their genre to claim their rightful place as some of the brightest stars in the firmament of classic cinema.

What about Watchmen as SF? Certainly has a lot of SF elements.

Taksraven

I think we're all trying to forget about Watchmen, I know I am. Alan Moore should have bombed that set, and shot the cast. Except the guy who played Comedian, he did a good job. Seriously, I consider that more a superhero/action type movie. A glowing blue penis doesn't make it sci-fi.

Star Trek got my vote. It surpassed my expectations of a remake of something that I've long been a fan of. Some things could've been better, but I walked out feeling entertained and not feeling Star Trek "canon" being overtly raped.

The only other sci-fi flick I've seen on that list is Terminator Salvation. I really wanted to give that movie a chance but Salvation's take of the future war was not what I imagined it would be. I wasn't expecting to see organized, fully manned air cavalry units, large numbers of humans surviving after a supposed nuclear holocaust, only to face a "machine menace" that are so few in numbers that it is Spaceballs Ludicrous. If you saw anything like 3 active T-600s on screen then congrats. That was probably the only time you'll see that many. There are so few Terminators, HKs and such that it was a disappointment. I was really expecting to see a future war in Salvation that Kyle Reese talked about in Terminator with dread. I was expecting some of this:

. Not some random movie with a bunch of dudes with M-16s with a few cameo appearances of a Terminator here and there.

Star Trek got my vote. It surpassed my expectations of a remake of something that I've long been a fan of. Some things could've been better, but I walked out feeling entertained and not feeling Star Trek "canon" being overtly raped.

The only other sci-fi flick I've seen on that list is Terminator Salvation. I really wanted to give that movie a chance but Salvation's take of the future war was not what I imagined it would be. I wasn't expecting to see organized, fully manned air cavalry units, large numbers of humans surviving after a supposed nuclear holocaust, only to face a "machine menace" that are so few in numbers that it is Spaceballs Ludicrous. If you saw anything like 3 active T-600s on screen then congrats. That was probably the only time you'll see that many. There are so few Terminators, HKs and such that it was a disappointment. I was really expecting to see a future war in Salvation that Kyle Reese talked about in Terminator with dread. I was expecting some of this:

. Not some random movie with a bunch of dudes with M-16s with a few cameo appearances of a Terminator here and there.

Please tell me that the Govenator made an appearance in that flick.

2009 is not done yet... I don't think we should vote for it yet.

So far, Star Trek is 'summer movie' entertainment, but District 9 is much better sci-fi movie. Story is deeper and engaging.

D9 is on my top list of the sci-fi movies in recent years.

Also, Cameron's Avatar is coming in Dec... expect some good, but can't see it will be better than D9, Star Trek or even T4...