MD Geist - 1986 Original Cut - Subtitled

Area88

MDGeistLDCover.jpg

Click to Download

The original version of MD Geist includes the original voices, music and animated scenes.

Only the inferior , hacked and reanimated director's cut produced in 1996, made it to dvd.

Now finally you can see the rare MD Geist in it's original glory from 1986.

So, this is the version that I watched on VHS in 1987? Wow.

Be honest, though. It's still pretty sucky. :p

Why do you do this to people? I've heard so much about this, I almost HAVE to watch it to see if it's all true.

*clicks link*

I hold you personally responsible for any mental damage this causes.

The thing about MD Geist is...it's really, really, atrociously, horrendously average.

So you'll be just as disappointed with it if you go in with low expectations as you would if you went in with high expectations.

Hell, even if you expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, you'll be disappointed. It's THAT average.

I would rather sit and watch that other piece of garbage Roots Search, before I torture my senses again with MD Geist. Hell, I'd even sit through Manga's butchered English version of Dangaioh or Harmony Gold's Robotech Sentinels movie. Well, maybe not the Robotech movie...

The thing about MD Geist is...it's really, really, atrociously, horrendously average.

So you'll be just as disappointed with it if you go in with low expectations as you would if you went in with high expectations.

Hell, even if you expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, you'll be disappointed. It's THAT average.

wow, I'm actually intrigued by the implied mediocrity. ^_^

Except it really isn't. MD Geist falls into the category of "so bad it's good," as in it's the kind of anime you watch with some friends while sharing a couple of six packs. It's absurd, it's ridiculous, it was directed by a 24 year old mechanical designed with no directorial experience who designed the suit before he came up with the story.

There were plenty of 80s OAVs that were so unbelievably average and unremarkable you'd be hard pressed to recount any details about them a week after watching it. That probably won't be a problem with MD Geist.

Except it really isn't. MD Geist falls into the category of "so bad it's good," as in it's the kind of anime you watch with some friends while sharing a couple of six packs. It's absurd, it's ridiculous, it was directed by a 24 year old mechanical designed with no directorial experience who designed the suit before he came up with the story.

There were plenty of 80s OAVs that were so unbelievably average and unremarkable you'd be hard pressed to recount any details about them a week after watching it. That probably won't be a problem with MD Geist.

I wouldn't really call it "so bad it's good"...although, to be fair, I've never watched it drunk. Still, I remember very little about it EXCEPT that it was bad...and it's ridiculous "twist' ending (at least, I assume it was meant to be a twist...I've only seen it raw, and that was well before I learned any Japanese).

But yeah...at least it stuck with me somewhat in the 22 years since I last saw it. That's a recommendation of a sort, I suppose. ^_^

It's kind of the same way for me too, except this also scarred me for life.

Kaori's fate in Akira scarred me for life. Iczer-1 scarred me for life. Hell, the people getting ripped to shreds in Megazone Part II scarred me for life.

MD Geist just left me me kinda...restless and bored. :p

This is one of those shows that never get an unbiased review, because it's so cool to trash it. If you like old-school, trashy anime for the guns, tits, violence, and explosions, MD Geist is perfectly enjoyable. I can think of plenty old OAVs that are far worse (Crystal Triangle, Dog Soldier, Root Seach, etc).

I bought this at a garage sale without prior knowledge of it for three bucks each (the cover with Geist's armor looked cool). I learned my lesson immediately after, do freaking research.

And there was only one pair of boobs in this OVA, but the point of the show killed the mood. In fact, Geist metaphorically and literally killed it. :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

This is one of those shows that never get an unbiased review, because it's so cool to trash it. If you like old-school, trashy anime for the guns, tits, violence, and explosions, MD Geist is perfectly enjoyable. I can think of plenty old OAVs that are far worse (Crystal Triangle, Dog Soldier, Root Seach, etc).

Exactly. I'm not sure how MD Geist got the reputation it did for being "the worst," although it might have been a backlash against how hard CPM pushed it. Maybe people were just tired of seeing that stupid 3D Geist before every CPM video. Honestly, it was pretty par for the course of the ultraviolent OAVs from that era, but it must have done something right if people are still talking about it.

The main guy in Orgun is so angsty it's ridiculous. But man if that weren't a pretty show. Even had transforming mecha!!

He was the proto-Shinji! ^_^ But seriously, whenever I sit down to watch that show I totally ignore the squishy humans and focus on the uber-cool mechas. That's what 80s anime was all about, yes? :)