HG and Robotech Debates

Which is the reason why I don't buy any of the stuff, and haven't in awhile. Being a fan, and having hope is good and all, but if it's not followed by anything to support positive change, or convey a sense of urgency in fixing the problems, HG isn't gonna know what to do. I wouldn't mind seeing a good anime feature from HG (glad it'd be Macross free for the most part). Likewise, if it's a garbage show, I'm not gonna buy it. I don't buy the product, and I don't buy the movies. The problem is that there aren't enough Robotech fans who think like that though. Most will buy stuff simply cause it has a Robotech lable on it. I'm sure they'd buy poo on a stick if it had the name Robotech on it. That's why I don't think anything will change from the staff. They'll make money putting out a shoddy product, and way too many fans wanting a sense of nostalgia are gonna gobble it up. I don't waste my time with any of the new stuff at all, and a part of why I had a falling out with the staff.

Well, at least we got our Betas now and they were worth it. Unless they start comming our with Hovertanks or a really good new product, I'm happy with not buying anything. Especially since Im paying out of pocket for college now. I odnt need any "gotta havitts" right now. Only thing Im looking at right now is seasons four and five of Slayers. Even if H.G. comes out with something worthwhile, Ill have probably finished the Associates degree and be able to mop up the bachelors in sweet time. No rush for me.

I don't even think they care about stuff like Rick, a plot, or the epic they think they created anymore Seto. They're just doing it for the money. For the older fans, Rick Hunter's fate is the hook. For the newer fans, the relationship to Macross that they gloat about every single time. And everyone else, total ambiguity as long as your interest gives them money.

Well Robotech and Voltron have an established fanbase of nostalgic fans to possibly leech on. I should have more clear and stated that if some company were to make a so called "original" show today in the same vein as Robotech or Voltron were made over 20 years it would fail miserably with today's anime fans. Of course such a new show would no doubt market itself to viewers of western cartoons as Robotech did, but these days with more and more cartoon fans taking the plunge into anime fandom that business plan probably won't work too well either.

Voltron was almost stuck in the same position as Robotech, but those in charge actually put more effort into it to make it stand on its own. Like Ginrai said, they were better at keeping something alive than HG and I commend it. HG prefers to rest on old laurels and pandering to the same audience to keep Robotech alive (the cheap way). And it helps that a lot of the people that represent the franchise publicly were good in the art of BSing.

Edited by Einherjar

You live creepily close to me.

Im not that close anymore (even though, you really should clean your houseswindows more, I cant peek in!!! :lol::lol: ) . I live near Aberdeen Proving Grounds now , about an hour to an hour and a half drive from D.C. depending on Baltimore and D.C.'s traffic.

It's one of the more bizarre circumstances of the current Robotech creative staff over at Harmony Gold... they don't seem to fully realize that their core demographic is not the 13-17 year old kids they've been trying to appeal to since 2001, but rather the 30+ year old fans who've been with the show since the very beginning... people like Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION. The few 20-somethings and teenagers who crop up every now and again in the fanbase are a fairly small minority, and tend to be newly minted anime fans who quickly find something better.

This is why i think the future of Robotech is bleak. By catering only to the late 20's and 30 something fans and ignoring the potential newcomers, HG basically drove themselves into a corner. Sure, those 30 something fans will stick around for another 10 years or so, but what after? We'll be fans for eternity to our beloved franchises, whether it's Macross or Robotech, but we won't be present in this fandom forever, and a time will come when the baton must be passed on to the next batch.

And this is the sad situation of Robotech; when the time comes to pass the baton, there will be nobody to pass it on.

And this is the sad situation of Robotech; when the time comes to pass the baton, there will be nobody to pass it on

Worse yet, by that time it'll be all gooey.

Renewing request before it gets buried in current discussion:

Can someone please point me to VF5SS's review of Shadow Chronicles?

Thank you

Pete

Whoever went to all the trouble to create that post just wasted their time. But, as I was reading through the thread, Bowspearer had a couple interesting things to say. In one of his last posts, there's a key element there that everyone seemed to miss. It basically sums up that the ability for HG to use Macross designs in new derivative works moreso on the "pro" side of this argument are fan speculation. Since it's been pointed out that BW has put up (now archived) statements saying they have the IP rights, and HG only skirts the question by inserting vague statements replacing the word Macross with Robotech, it seems more that the burden of proof falls on HG. This is something they aren't going to do, simply because they don't have the rights. If BW has made their side clear, Carl Macek has made it clear, and from what HG's legal team seems to point out, HG cannot, and will not use Macross designs.

In regards to the statement that the HG staff makes "we can use everything Robotech"...Well, that isn't a lie, but to what extent? The vague statement is true if they take the original footage and use it in a commercial, or decide to use all the original footage to make some weird side story. But, that would be false if using it in the terms of being able to take those same Macross designs, and making new footage using those said designs. I'm still surprised the staff at HG still let's this divide their fandom by not just clearing the air, but somehow, I think they feel it'd hurt their fragile position. They may feel it'd let their fans know that they aren't the all in control company they think they are, and that it'd burst a lot of fan's bubbles to know that Macross isn't coming back in any production work as it was imagined back in the day.

Whoever went to all the trouble to create that post just wasted their time. But, as I was reading through the thread, Bowspearer had a couple interesting things to say. In one of his last posts, there's a key element there that everyone seemed to miss. It basically sums up that the ability for HG to use Macross designs in new derivative works moreso on the "pro" side of this argument are fan speculation. Since it's been pointed out that BW has put up (now archived) statements saying they have the IP rights, and HG only skirts the question by inserting vague statements replacing the word Macross with Robotech, it seems more that the burden of proof falls on HG. This is something they aren't going to do, simply because they don't have the rights. If BW has made their side clear, Carl Macek has made it clear, and from what HG's legal team seems to point out, HG cannot, and will not use Macross designs.

In regards to the statement that the HG staff makes "we can use everything Robotech"...Well, that isn't a lie, but to what extent? The vague statement is true if they take the original footage and use it in a commercial, or decide to use all the original footage to make some weird side story. But, that would be false if using it in the terms of being able to take those same Macross designs, and making new footage using those said designs. I'm still surprised the staff at HG still let's this divide their fandom by not just clearing the air, but somehow, I think they feel it'd hurt their fragile position. They may feel it'd let their fans know that they aren't the all in control company they think they are, and that it'd burst a lot of fan's bubbles to know that Macross isn't coming back in any production work as it was imagined back in the day.

Yeah, I never really understood why no one ever asks the natural (to me, at least) follow-up question to "We own all the rights to Robotech," i.e. "Does that mean you own all the rights to Macross?"

Although I'm sure Mr. McKeever would just say something like, "I can't make it any plainer: we own ALL the rights to Robotech" or something like that.

And regarding the thread, I'm mildly surprised Memo hasn't banned Bowspearer yet.

They make it sound like it was some feat of amazing creative genius to tie together three unrelated anime with a lame "plot" and some bad dubs, when the only instance where Harmony Gold had a chance to actually CREATE something - namely Sentinels - they couldn't get past three episodes and some story boards.

Way to go creative team.

Pete

I don't blame Harmony Gold entirely for this fiasco, blame the economy at the time. The animation company who was in charge of the animation wanted to be paid in yen. The problem was the value of the dollar sucked agianst the yen, and Harmony Gold didn't want to have anything to do with the exchange rate at the time. It also didn't help matters any when Matchbox decided to pull out entirely, effectively killing the deal for the rest of the series.

Yeah, I never really understood why no one ever asks the natural (to me, at least) follow-up question to "We own all the rights to Robotech," i.e. "Does that mean you own all the rights to Macross?"

Although I'm sure Mr. McKeever would just say something like, "I can't make it any plainer: we own ALL the rights to Robotech" or something like that.

And regarding the thread, I'm mildly surprised Memo hasn't banned Bowspearer yet.

IIRC, in the Space Station Liberty interview where that quote originated from, that situation did happen. He referred to the HG legal team about not wanting him to reveal too much, actually nothing, and repeated "We own ALL the rights to Robotech," a couple of times. That was all he was allowed to say, or wanted to say, regarding that sensitive issue. In fact, it was his general response to a few important questions asked during the interview. Everything else, after the fact, I think turned out to be lies.

The RT.com forum sure has changed since Seto and jenius got banned.

IIRC, in the Space Station Liberty interview where that quote originated from, that situation did happen. He referred to the HG legal team about not wanting him to reveal too much, actually nothing, and repeated "We own ALL the rights to Robotech," a couple of times. That was all he was allowed to say, or wanted to say, regarding that sensitive issue. In fact, it was his general response to a few important questions asked during the interview. Everything else, after the fact, I think turned out to be lies.

Really? I certainly hope Kaiba wasn't permabanned. We need a voice of reason over there in that sea of bullshit over there.

Really? I certainly hope Kaiba wasn't permabanned. We need a voice of reason over there in that sea of bullshit over there.

Nope, it's just Mr. Conflict of Interest MEMO 24/7. His ego has been running high ever since. That's why Seto hasn't responded on the thread that was posted.

Edited by Einherjar

Indeed it has... and in the eyes of MEMO1DOMINION and Maverick_LSC, the change was good... there's one less person questioning their blind, dare-I-say imbecilic faith in each other's factless arguments.

Everyone else gets it in the arse because MEMO and Maverick are too immature to cope with the fact that they were wrong.

's lookin that way, Wanz. I stepped in to a thread where MEMO's intestines were so badly backed up the poo was oozing out of his mouth and onto a keyboard and posted the facts. Maverick then accused me of "disrupting" the thread, and removed my posting privileges. It's been a month now, and Steve still hasn't responded to my initial e-mail.

Nope, it's just Mr. Conflict of Interest MEMO 24/7. His ego has been running high ever since. That's why Seto hasn't responded on the thread that was posted.

No, it's not that... believe me I'd like nothing better than to continue to out MEMO as the pathological liar that he is, but Maverick won't restore my posting privileges, and Steve has stopped responding to e-mails altogether (even from Maverick, apparently) so I am effectively banned, even though my account is still nominally active.

AFAIK Seto was banned from RT.com like almost a month ago now. I skim around the forum boards there and if i remember correctly it was in an HG rights thread were Maverick laid down the ban hammer on Seto.

Also, putting a voice of reason over there is useless, with MEMO and Maverick in control of the threads. It's likely those two will ban any one who disagree with them in a heartbeat.

Edit: whoops my reply came late :huh:

Edited by Moly_Sigang

VF5SS and Whamhammer, would two like to take that it to PM or some other area, or do I have to ban you 2?

Read the thread of insults being cast again , and make the decission. Im not interested in the sort of insults like Im getting here from this guy. I really dont have time for it. Azreal, I leave it for you to sort out. My E-mail address is in my info section. Let me know how it goes.

Read the thread of insults being cast again , and make the decission. Im not interested in the sort of insults like Im getting here from this guy. I really dont have time for it. Azreal, I leave it for you to sort out. My E-mail address is in my info section. Let me know how it goes.

or you two could you know, just ignore each other? yep, sounds like a plan to me.

No, it's not that... believe me I'd like nothing better than to continue to out MEMO as the pathological liar that he is, but Maverick won't restore my posting privileges, and Steve has stopped responding to e-mails altogether (even from Maverick, apparently) so I am effectively banned, even though my account is still nominally active.

It worked out conveniently for them leaving you and other undesirables in a Catch-22. Until then, MEMO gets to have an extended field day offering "evidence" to his agenda backed up with LSC's "analysis." With Steve, hope the company still sees value in the forum part of the website when this year's convention tour is over.

Is there any new news?

Last month on the Space Station Liberty podcast, Kevin McKeever stopped by to inform everyone, among other things, that the closing of ADV Films won't affect Robotech that much, or something. Then, in the same week, HG sent a Cease and Desist order to Piranha Games and ign.com to take down the Mechwarrior 5/Reboot trailer for the featured mecha. That's it.

Edited by Einherjar

It worked out conveniently for them leaving you and other undesirables in a Catch-22. Until then, MEMO gets to have an extended field day offering "evidence" to his agenda backed up with LSC's "analysis." With Steve, hope the company still sees value in the forum part of the website when this year's convention tour is over.

Yeah... it's a real circus over there these days... Robelwell202 just called out MEMO and Maverick for banning people for disagreeing with them... and was banned for doing so. :lol:

EDIT: Ah... I see the pathological liar patrol (Maverick and MEMO) have been here to see what we're saying about this latest development.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Yeah... it's a real circus over there these days... Robelwell202 just called out MEMO and Maverick for banning people for disagreeing with them... and was banned for doing so. :lol:

EDIT: Ah... I see the pathological liar patrol (Maverick and MEMO) have been here to see what we're saying about this latest development.

Yeah I saw that too, and I think what set memo off was the communist remark lol.. well it's true is it not?

And of course they're looking here, but they won't post anymore because they know they'll get eaten alive.

Example... all of Memos little Hit N Run stunts he pulled here, he'd post his BS then when everyone jumped on his ass he took off running.

Edited by HappyPenguins

Yeah I saw that too, and I think what set memo off was the communist remark lol.. well it's true is it not?

And of course they're looking here, but they won't post anymore because they know they'll get eaten alive.

Example... all of Memos little Hit N Run stunts he pulled here, he'd post his BS then when everyone jumped on his ass he took off running.

And Maverick is online here as I post this...although I don't think he's ever posted here, funnily enough.

When you stop to think that people like Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION, who believe in censoring any opinion other than "Harmony Gold is wonderful, Robotech is perfect", and dougbendo, who believes the best way to express his fan status is to publicly badmouth anyone who doesn't agree with him, are considered the spokesmen of the fanbase, it really gives you a clear impression of just how far Robotech has really fallen these last twenty years. In most any healthy fandom, these people would be laughed out of town as mentally unstable or just downright stupid, yet in Robotech, a franchise kept alive by a handful of fanatics who've stuck with the series as it went nowhere for 25 years, these people are held up as what a fan SHOULD be... and that's sad.

That Harmony Gold doesn't seem to give a damn how badly people like that blacken the already-reviled Robotech name just reinforces the distinct impression that Harmony Gold has washed its hands of Robotech after handing the reins over to Warner Bros.

(To me, what's REALLY revolting about this whole situation is that if I were asked which group I had more respect for, I would be able to say, with no hesitatation, that I have far more respect for dougbendo than I ever will for either Maverick_LSC or MEMO1DOMINION. At the very least, dougbendo believes in voicing your opinion, even if it pisses people off... and I can respect that.)