HG and Robotech Debates

I can't swear to it but I seem to remember rumblings of HG shutting down Robotech fan sites for various reasons. That was one of the reasons I dedicated my website to just the toys. If you're not in the HG inner circle you may find yourself facing unwarranted resistance.

Are you serious? They actually shut down fan sites?

I can't swear to it but I seem to remember rumblings of HG shutting down Robotech fan sites for various reasons. That was one of the reasons I dedicated my website to just the toys. If you're not in the HG inner circle you may find yourself facing unwarranted resistance.

I've never heard anything to that effect... I've seen a fair few Robotech websites fall apart because their webmasters stopped caring, or their community members turned on each other and tore the site to pieces tho. Most of them seem to have come down because their webmasters got sick of spending years and years for the next Robotech whatever with nothing to show for it.

I've never heard anything to that effect... I've seen a fair few Robotech websites fall apart because their webmasters stopped caring, or their community members turned on each other and tore the site to pieces tho. Most of them seem to have come down because their webmasters got sick of spending years and years for the next Robotech whatever with nothing to show for it.

Like I said, I can't swear to it. I believe the rumblings surfaced back when Robotech.com first came to be. Those were rough years for Robotech and any websites that might have been shut down might also have been acting as a portal for import or doing other obviously bad things like offering downloads. They do seem a bit more easy going these days so you're probably safe with doing the standard legal disclaimer bit. Just the same, it'd suck to invest a lot of time and effort on stuff that really ought to be on Robotech.com just to have your efforts taken down for any reason.

Maybe if we just ignored them and stopped debating with them, they would have little else to talk about other than speculate about how many decades they will have to wait for some new RT.

For them at least, nothing will probably change. Here, I'd be comfortable doing that.

EDIT - It's pretty clear that on those sites there is no TOU anymore. Mods like MEMO are the TOU.

Edited by Einherjar

Just the same, it'd suck to invest a lot of time and effort on stuff that really ought to be on Robotech.com just to have your efforts taken down for any reason.

Wouldn't matter anyway, I'm not gonna be able to start on it 'till February 2010 at the earliest.

EDIT - It's pretty clear that on those sites there is no TOU anymore. Mods like MEMO are the TOU.

Sad but true.

I think you may be reading too much into what is probably just Tommy's style of speaking. "Pretty much" is often one of those space-filler terms, like "well" or "y'know" or "basically." I don't think it was part of the official statement.

You're right, I am scrutinizing that line. But only because that line seems to be the biggest piece of documented evidence supporting MEMO's belief that, outside of Japan, Harmony Gold owns everything to SDF Macross.

I only know of one site that Harmony Gold ever shut down: www.robotech.com.

That website used to be owned by a fan, but the day after Congress passed the anti-Cybersquatting law (15 USCA § 1125), Harmony Gold's general counsel sent the owner a certified letter requesting that he give them control of the domain, pursuant the anti-Cybersquatting law. The rest is history.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

The smartest thing ever said in this thread.

Much as I've been having fun with this thread, I'm beginning to agree.

On the other hand, I think it's good that all the RT stuff is CONTAINED, rather than spilling out all over the forum the way it did years ago.

I dunno. Talking about Robotech should be allowed here, but if it's just going to devolve into gossip like "So-and-so said this over at one site, so this guy flamed him at that site" or outright falsehoods like "HG stole the name Robotech when Revell went out of business" then yeah...what's the point?

Much as I've been having fun with this thread, I'm beginning to agree.

On the other hand, I think it's good that all the RT stuff is CONTAINED, rather than spilling out all over the forum the way it did years ago.

I dunno. Talking about Robotech should be allowed here, but if it's just going to devolve into gossip like "So-and-so said this over at one site, so this guy flamed him at that site" or outright falsehoods like "HG stole the name Robotech when Revell went out of business" then yeah...what's the point?

The volume of posts on this thread never ceases to amaze me. You would think that we would have enough crap in other areas to talk about.

Taksraven

I was forwarded the link just a little while ago, and thought it was both amusing and highly illustrative of exactly what's wrong with the Robotech franchise these days. Thanks to the years of having nothing worth speaking about, and their sole, lackluster sequel, the only serious Robotech fans left are the fanatics who can't comprehend why anyone would criticize Robotech.

Shadow Rising is still in production limbo, as far as I can tell. Kevin McKeever said it was on hiatus, and then came out and tried to quell the resulting brouhaha by saying that he meant they were working on other parts of it, not that it was on hold. No release date has been announced, vague or otherwise.

Repeat after me, boys and girs...

Shitcanned, Shitcanned,

Shitcanned, Shitcanned...

As evidenced by the Flipped-Out Flyers website.

Repeat after me, boys and girs...

Shitcanned, Shitcanned,

Shitcanned, Shitcanned...

Shhh... they'll have a goddamn coronary if they ever figure that out... better that they stay ignorant.

As evidenced by the Flipped-Out Flyers website.

You gotta judge that one by different standards... it wasn't that Xake didn't want to keep it going, it's just that he didn't know HOW, because I was the one doing ALL of the behind-the-scenes work and coordination. I got busy with my own projects (the genesis of my Macross II site) and he just didn't know how to keep it running, so it fell apart.

You're right, I am scrutinizing that line. But only because that line seems to be the biggest piece of documented evidence supporting MEMO's belief that, outside of Japan, Harmony Gold owns everything to SDF Macross.

It's the ONLY piece of documented evidence that even comes CLOSE to supporting MEMO's belief that Harmony Gold owns everything from the original Macross series outside of Japan. Of course, as I illustrated previously, it does not mean quite what he believes it does.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I really hope so

I dunno...I never thought Shadow Force Chronicles would see the light of day either, but it did.

Still, they've said they're waiting for the Live Action Movie to release Shadow Rising, right? And, as HG themselves point out, live action movies can take an AWFULLY long time.

Even if it gets put on the fast track tomorrow, the LAM will probably take at least two more years to complete. That, combined with the two or three years since Shadow Chronicles came out, seems like an awfully long time to wait for another ninety-minute movie.

And I was right.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...enumber=17#post

Congratulations on achieving nothing again. After keeping a watch in these Robo-shenanigans for almost a year, I think I'm done with it. Everything is repeating itself over and over again, with different people in the similar situations saying the same damn things.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...8635&cmd=tc

It's the self-fulfilling prophesy End of the Circle eluded to, isn't it? Or Ouroboros.

Edited by Einherjar

I really hope so

I don't know, personally I'd like to see the "Shadow" series continue, regardless of the sadistic intentions I may have behind that desire. The Robotech fanbase really does need something of their own to be fans of.

And I was right.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...enumber=17#post

Congratulations on achieving nothing again. After keeping a watch in these Robo-shenanigans for almost a year, I think I'm done with it. Everything is repeating itself over and over again, with different people in the similar situations saying the same damn things.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...8635&cmd=tc

It's the self-fulfilling prophesy End of the Circle eluded to, isn't it? Or Ouroboros.

Why should I care what happens over there again...?

I don't know, personally I'd like to see the "Shadow" series continue, regardless of the sadistic intentions I may have behind that desire. The Robotech fanbase really does need something of their own to be fans of.

I hope they make another one and I hope it's awesome and it makes them a ton of money and they can really take the franchise into new directions, something unique and genuine.

I just don't get the point of wishing them ill. It's not like the money that's going to be spent was going to be spent towards better public education or it was like some sort of cosmic toss up, heads we get lasting peace in the middle east, tales we get a Robotech Sequel.

What a waste... it was clearly far too optimistic of me to think that they could put aside their fanaticism and discuss the limitations of Harmony Gold's rights to Macross rationally. Too many of the remaining Robotech.com members are entirely too willing to indulge in self-delusion to escape the impending disappointments of the live-action movie and the Shadow Rising movie. I guess it's a coping mechanism for those who've been following a franchise that's been going nowhere for the last 23 years.

I'll still be keeping an eye on the other legal thread there, at least in the short term, because I'm quite curious to see what Maverick_LSC concluded after doing his own research. Assuming, of course, that he posts it at all. From the sound of it, he was trying to support MEMO, and ended up forming the very conclusion he was arguing against. Other than that, I really have no interest in the goings-on over there anymore. There's nothing new or newsworthy happening now or in the foreseeable future, and even the flow of "ask the expert"-type questions has slowed to a trickle.

yes the fans do need something of their own, but I would rather it be something good than something cheap and half assed. :wacko:

I think there's an interesting conversation to be had about what a Robotech movie based on The Macross Saga could be. I don't feel at all that it would have to be a failure and I'm absolutely convinced that it's the perception that it would be a failure that gets all the RT fans whipped up into a furor. Well, it's that and the overwhelming disappointment they feel when they're told that the movie wouldn't be at all a faithful representation of the cartoon. I guess it that's a one-two punch that hurts:

"I want the Robotech Movie to be just like The Macross Saga."

> "Uh, actually it's going to be a complete re-imagining."

"What? That's lame.... well it better have the Zentraedi, Roy Fokker, and Minmay in it still!"

> "Uh, actually, it can't... not without some seriously big re-imagining and renaming."

"Screw you! You're wrong! I won't listen to reason! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

Why, they never seemed to care before? :)

you do have a point there, which is why I've really never bothered with anything new they came out with.

I got TSC for my birthday two years ago, worst present ever. <_<

I think there's an interesting conversation to be had about what a Robotech movie based on The Macross Saga could be. I don't feel at all that it would have to be a failure and I'm absolutely convinced that it's the perception that it would be a failure that gets all the RT fans whipped up into a furor. Well, it's that and the overwhelming disappointment they feel when they're told that the movie wouldn't be at all a faithful representation of the cartoon. I guess it that's a one-two punch that hurts:

"I want the Robotech Movie to be just like The Macross Saga."

> "Uh, actually it's going to be a complete re-imagining."

"What? That's lame.... well it better have the Zentraedi, Roy Fokker, and Minmay in it still!"

> "Uh, actually, it can't... not without some seriously big re-imagining and renaming."

"Screw you! You're wrong! I won't listen to reason! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

It does suck though, and when I discovered RT back in 97 I always thought it would be cool to see a movie based on it, and now that there is going to be a movie and it's a complete re-imagining it is kind of a slap in the face because I don't know what to expect at all. It could be good but it could also be a utter piece of crap, which I'm more afraid of. I know the facts and whole legal issues so I've accepted that, but either way I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

I'd rather see a Halo movie, at least that has a better chance of being a success and it has a bigger fanbase.

Edited by HappyPenguins

I'll never speak of it again, that's a serious promise.

Hey, if there's legitimate news on the LAM or Shadow Rising front, I think we SHOULD talk about it.

But this conversation they're having over there is just an exercise in frustration for everybody involved (and for many who are not involved). Right now, it just feels like everybody's arguing over a movie that might not even get made. Not much to do but sit back and wait. Maybe next year at ComiCon, they'll have a trailer, and THEN we'll see if it has any Macross elements in it or not. Until then, it's just going to go around in circles.

How about we just shut down this thread and stop all the talk? I mean, really, at this point people are just gossiping about other people. Its pointless.

The smartest thing ever said in this thread.

Actually it's the stupidest thing ever on this thread... this thread is here to keep the crappy inane debates in one place instead of all over the forums. If you don't like it, stay out and stop reading it.

Look at how many "members" sign up just to argue robotech. We can ban people that do that but they'll just sign up under a new name. We have enough trouble keeping trolls out of the regular forums and mass bannings will just be too much fun for this quiet old forum to handle.

If WB really wants to put the right money behind the whole project, the new "movie" would be the right opportunity to start things fresh, and could be a legitimate reason why the SC sequal has been put on hold.

Problem with the Shadow Chronicles? (aside from the obvious stuff) They couldn't use any ties to the original series. What WB has to do is the one thing HG hasn't had the nuts to do in the past 20 some odd years, hire someone to make new designs, and change some character names.

-Roy Fokker: Absolutely has to go. Likely outcome (here's one for free Yune), change his name to "Roy Hunter," and make him "Rick's" actual brother.

-Lynn Minmay: Again, absolutely has to change, anything would really do.

-Britai & Exedor: Again, absolutely needs to change, and while they're at it, just integrate the male/female alien fleet all together. Take away the Macross "Protoculture" aspect, save some screen time, etc.

-SDF-1 has be have a new classification, and is likely the main source of turmoil since they've already continued to use SDF-3. SBF-1 (Space Battle Fortress? Since they liked calling it that anyway), or anything equally inane would work. Since they never showed a hull inscription in Shadow Chronicles, they can pretend it was always changed to SBF...

-"Macross" City, Macross Island, etc, all has to go, SBF City, SBF Island etc is a workable replacement.

-SBF-1 needs to lose its transformation. Plain & simple, no other Robotech battleships transform, as such the main ship shouldn't either.

And of course the hardest workaround, replacing the Valkyries. Likely outcome? Some type of Sparta/Legioss hybrid, maybe jazzed up with modern fighter stylings. Second hardest part? Giving their new alien named threat a line of ship & mecha designs. Solution? Blend in the attackers of Southern Cross with the heroes of Macross. Done right, the most downtrodden red headed stepchild of the robotech franchise could be its savoir. Have the Robotech Masters attack to start with, looking for their own downed ship, save some time, and leave an easy jump into a re-worked Mospeada story, followed by SC.

This in my opinion would be the quickest & easiest way to get a re-worked Robotech storyline to work, without having to step on Macross's toes. Once this is done, HG can anime new SC sequals using characters & names from their new franchise beginning, solving most of the problems inherent with losing Macross.

F^ck you know what, hire me as a consultant, pay me a few hundred thousand, & I'll give you perfectly workable concepts. And as a bonus, I won't even burn down your offices, I'll just blast some good ole Fukuyama & May'n while I'm there.

Edited by Keith

If WB really wants to put the right money behind the whole project, the new "movie" would be the right opportunity to start things fresh, and could be a legitimate reason why the SC sequal has been put on hold.

Problem with the Shadow Chronicles? (aside from the obvious stuff) They couldn't use any ties to the original series. What WB has to do is the one thing HG hasn't had the nuts to do in the past 20 some odd years, hire someone to make new designs, and change some character names.

-Roy Fokker: Absolutely has to go. Likely outcome (here's one for free Yune), change his name to "Roy Hunter," and make him "Rick's" actual brother.

-Lynn Minmay: Again, absolutely has to change, anything would really do.

-Britai & Exedor: Again, absolutely needs to change, and while they're at it, just integrate the male/female alien fleet all together. Take away the Macross "Protoculture" aspect, save some screen time, etc.

-SDF-1 has be have a new classification, and is likely the main source of turmoil since they've already continued to use SDF-3. SBF-1 (Space Battle Fortress? Since they liked calling it that anyway), or anything equally inane would work. Sine they never showed a hull inscription in Shadow Chronicles, they can pretend it was always changed to SBF...

-"Macross" City, Macross Island, etc, all has to go, SBF City, SBF Island etc is a workable replacement.

-SBF-1 needs to lose its transformation. Plain & simple, no other Robotech battleships transform, as such the main ship shouldn't either.

And of course the hardest workaround, replacing the Valkyries. Likely outcome? Some type of Sparta/Legioss hybrid, maybe jazzed up with modern fighter stylings. Second hardest part? Giving their new alien named threat a line of ship & mecha designs. Solution? Blend in the attackers of Southern Cross with the heroes of Macross. Done right, the most downtrodden red headed stepchild of the robotech franchise could be its savoir. Have the Robotech Masters attack to start with, looking for their own downed ship, save some time, and leave an easy jump into a re-worked Mospeada story, followed by SC.

This in my opinion would be the quickest & easiest way to get a re-worked Robotech storyline to work, without having to step on Macross's toes. Once this is done, HG can anime new SC sequals using characters & names from their new franchise beginning, solving most of the problems inherent with losing Macross.

F^ck you know what, hire me as a consultant, pay me a few hundred thousand, & I'll give you perfectly workable concepts. And as a bonus, I won't even burn down your offices, I'll just blast some good ole Fukuyama & May'n while I'm there.

They should hire me too, I could re-design all the uniforms, and even come up with a good unique name for the zentraedi.......oh wait I already did "tjatey" stolen from my own universe but alas it could work.

on second thought, nevermind, I don't want them using anything of mine >_>

Edited by HappyPenguins

They should hire me too, I could re-design all the uniforms, and even come up with a good unique name for the zentraedi.......oh wait I already did "tjatey" stolen from my own universe but alas it could work.

The only scary part would be the feeling of walking into a "King of Kong" situation.....Billy Mitchel ::shudders::

I hope they make another one and I hope it's awesome and it makes them a ton of money and they can really take the franchise into new directions, something unique and genuine.

I just don't get the point of wishing them ill. It's not like the money that's going to be spent was going to be spent towards better public education or it was like some sort of cosmic toss up, heads we get lasting peace in the middle east, tales we get a Robotech Sequel.

I hope they make shadow rising and the RLAM and plenty of sequals to both so that they make a poo-ton of money, then they can buy up BW and spread Robotech everywhere. Then they can make even more money and buy out all the other animation studio's, then all the major Movie studio's and all the TV network,s until All media is Robotech. Then they can take over the governments and finally all life will be Robotech. :mellow:

I hope they make shadow rising and the RLAM and plenty of sequals to both so that they make a poo-ton of money, then they can buy up BW and spread Robotech everywhere. Then they can make even more money and buy out all the other animation studio's, then all the major Movie studio's and all the TV network,s until All media is Robotech. Then they can take over the governments and finally all life will be Robotech. :mellow:

*sniff*

*sniff*

Thass...thass just beautiful, man...

that's just scary *goes into hiding*