Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.6

Duke Togo

Since AmiAmi charged more than 4000 yen for shipping (before the 50% off shipping offer), how big is the package? Does it come with the poster?

the package was HUGE in comparison to the size of the actual vf-27 box. there's a separate tray for the poster which comes rolled up secured by uhm, plastic cling wrap. Then the vast majority of the ginormous box is filled with foam chips, roughly the size of potato chips but thicker. Then there's another brown box which holds the actual toy.

Mine arrived at Vancouver customs yesterday :) ...... good luck with that leaving there anytime soon...... :(....... and it still has to travel 2000+km to reach me after that. :(

I am still pumped for it even with the paint issues though.

Edited by logos

and an example of bandai's paint quality... right out of the box.

_DSC1049.jpg

gnarly. Chipped?

Mine is now in the same city (having it delivered to work). Hopefully it will get here today and not tomorrow and I'll be able to verify myself.

well, the other paint flubs are really small. On the other hand, there's lots of paint on paint places or where painted parts can rub together. So if the paint does flake off easily, there's plenty of opportunities for it to happen.

On the other hand, stuff clicks together much nicer than on the vf-25. The wing root locks on the legs for instance, snap in and out cleanly and there's little holds on the metal shoulder assembly to help keep everything in place.

No chips like Eugimon's or anywhere that I could see. A little bit oily... more of a film towards the top side back half. no noticible fingerprints. My first DX. First impression is that it's a bit smaller than I was expecting (smaller than the VF-22S) at least in surface area if not length or width. The right wing engine seems to fold up and/or not lock down as tightly, but I'll inspect it closer tonight when I get home.

Heavier than I felt it would be. Feels heavier than the Yamato VF-22S.

Well figured out how to do the clip for the gunpod. Is it supposed to be angled slightly down from the nose like that? Anyhoo, one of them shoulders was scaring me that it was going to chip like Eugimon's cause it was crooked and only way I could seemingly straighten it was to push from below, but went in fine. Love how tight it is, though the wingtips/wing engines are kinda bugging... still a great design, though. My hands do feel slightly greasy.

I know I'll probably have to get one eventually since I really prefer this sculpt to the model kit (the VF-27 kit's intakes look huge).

Are the major colored markings (just stripes and such, not the tiny surface details) engraved like on the 25? Would make repainting everything easier if it does wind up flaking off.

As it is, the paint chip Graham showed just looked very much like they tried painting something that needed primer first. Didn't even leave residue, it just chipped off, as if it was never there (technically a plus if you plan on redoing it, since it simplifies removal). That mold release agent must be killing the applications. :(

Oddly though.. the worst one I've seen so far was from a marking over a painted surface, not bare plastic. The markings printed on the rear gear doors to my Michael may as well have been printed in rubber ink the way they peeled off from finger contact. <_<

Hmmmn. I wonder if it's "super-smooth plastic", mold-release, or a combination of both.

There's little chance of them re-texturing it for Grace's and the inevitable 2nd (movie?) run of Brera's, but if it's a mold-release problem, that could be fixed. (or, maybe lavender paint just has poor adhesion--though it seems all the 1/60 DX lately have at least moderation paint issues)

White markings look like they're just painted on to me. I don't feel any groove or depression and only a very slight change in texture on any of them.

Got it. Ami Ami Rocks. I'm definitely going to order from them again.

Uxi where do you live exactly?

Near S.D. or L.A. ?

I live near Temecula, and it hasn't gotten here yet.

Waiting for BOTH AmiAmi and HLJ items and neither are here yet. . . .

Edited by DARKWIND

Stupid question:

Has anyone actually applied a napkin or something to the plastic, to confirm there actually is mold release oil on it that can be soaked up or something, vs simply FEELING greasy? (many plastics do inherently feel greasy, when they aren't really--very hard plastics especially--and those plastics seem to be used more commonly lately--I wonder if there wasn't a big batch of it sent all across China recently)

Stupid question:

Has anyone actually applied a napkin or something to the plastic, to confirm there actually is mold release oil on it that can be soaked up or something, vs simply FEELING greasy? (many plastics do inherently feel greasy, when they aren't really--very hard plastics especially--and those plastics seem to be used more commonly lately--I wonder if there wasn't a big batch of it sent all across China recently)

nope, there's an actual film on the plastic. I can actually see it, it's streaky and looks like grease on plastic and if I buff it out with tissue it comes off and the plastic feels noticeably cleaner, "squeaky" instead of greasy.

If it's mold release, I'm not surprised the paint comes off like it does, the thing is coated in it, nearly every surface has it.

I see exactly how Graham scratched his. I avoided to do it, but if you're not careful during the transformation that piece will touch to the back of the "sternum", as it were. It will let you push it back until you pull the upper torso up and over it... then it's recessed. Coming out of Battroid will be worth careful attention, too.

Well, if it's mold release, hopefully all the Japanese forums are complaining about the same thing. That's easy to remedy. Seriously though---mold release is almost "archaic" in modern injection molding. Little to none is used for most common styrene/ABS nowadays---for a large amount to be present on a newly-tooled mold is very surprising---especially considering it's *Bandai*, a company with top-tier molding/plastics technology. I'd only expect to find mold release nowadays on resin parts from rubber molds, etc. (because they really will stick)

SGV towards LA

Hey UXI thanks for showing the pics, i am expecting mine from amiami.com tomorrow . Was your VF 27 very greasy as well bro like the others here onnn the forums ?????????

Edited by HEY BOYS

The other problem area is going to the fronts of the shoulders (also the lilac, lighter against the maroon/violet base color), which touch each other in fighter mode. I have a small scratch there, now, probably from my transformation.

Pretty damned cool, toy, though. I like the heft it has to it. Not sure if the DX VF-25's are the same but much heftier than a Yamato.

I think my favorite valkyrie remains the Gamlin VF-22S, but very glad I got this. Great experience from Ami Ami, too.

Stupid question:

I know what you mean, but trust me, there is a lot of excess lubricant: you can see the rainbow light reflections and fingerprints on the polished plastic surface, it's not just how it "feels". On the shoulders the oil was actually oozing out from the seams and I wiped it off.

This is bad, because there is slight chance I can apply paint on top of this slippery oil...and chipping is already happening.

On another note, did anyone notice if the "101" lettering on the tail fins are straight or pointing "down"?

In case this wasn't posted yet. CF version is planned for June release. Unfortunately it's a Tamashii web special. :angry:

A stand for the DX series is in the works. Discussion about the VF Hi-Metal should go to the VF100s thread.

1266895057031.jpg

Edited by Vifam7

Nice, the green one was meant to come after Brera's, but the color there seems a bit more saturated than I'd have liked, but again, the actual model never looks exactly like the promotional shots, and there is a high chance that is a photoshop retouch.

Besides the "101" not correcly aligned on the tail fins, did anyone else notice they missed the darker maroon trim on the sides of the legs? It shows correctly decorated in the manual and on the shot above as well. I am talking about the piece between the intakes and the wingroots.

Great. :angry: NOW how am I supposed to get Grace's? Though I notice there's no number on the tail---do they actually intend to leave it off, or is the pic just a photoshop/early sample? ::edit:: Hmmn, photoshop seems likely, as the starboard wing marking is colored all wrong---it's still red/purple/magenta.

Also--if it's limited, then they probably won't have molded a new pilot, like they may have for a regular release. :(

(of course, they may REALLY annoy people and release a special "Grace" version 3 months later with the 102 on the tailfins, and a new pilot)

In case this wasn't posted yet. CF version is planned for June release. Unfortunately it's a Tamashii web special. :angry:

Rauuugrrrggrrauuuuuuggrrrrrrahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Of course it has to be the one I wanted!!!!!!!!

This sucks.

But hey, is that a YF-21 1/100?