Custom Glass Display Case using Ikea Detolfs!

KiriK

wow those detolfs are really stuffed! Imagine the extra figures you could stuff if you took out one of the glass sides with your detolfs side by side like that... haha

So i've been slowly taking out my collection each night from all boxes i had from moving and man it's a pain in the butt getting everything out after i spent so much time packing them up.

Since i have so much space, i wanted to display my collection nicely, but in doing so i found that i ran out of space really fast in my display cases. Le sigh... it's actually been frustrating figuring out how i want to display everything. I'll take a picture of it and show you guys soon.

wow those detolfs are really stuffed! Imagine the extra figures you could stuff if you took out one of the glass sides with your detolfs side by side like that... haha

So i've been slowly taking out my collection each night from all boxes i had from moving and man it's a pain in the butt getting everything out after i spent so much time packing them up.

Since i have so much space, i wanted to display my collection nicely, but in doing so i found that i ran out of space really fast in my display cases. Le sigh... it's actually been frustrating figuring out how i want to display everything. I'll take a picture of it and show you guys soon.

Tell me about it. Most of the toys I bought are still minty in the box since I don't enough shelf space to display them properly. Guess I should have saved up for a new apartment instead of buying toys instead. :lol:

Great job and great idea kirik. Do you think that three Detolfs can be connected together? I have a liitle niche in my wall that would fit 3 perfectly, but I'm not sure if it's possible to put three together. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the comments. I think it's possible to put 3 detolfs together, but i'm not sure how sturdy it will be. If you take out both sides of the middle detolf to open it up, it will only be supported by the thin metal frame and the front door. When you open the front door, it will supported by the frame only. However if you attached all 3 together like i did, it should help support it. I can see forsee the front top board of the middle detolf will sag down due to not having any glass support.

Also, be sure to bolt it down to the the wall to for extra support! Good luck putting them together. Post pics if you finish!

Thanks for the comments. I think it's possible to put 3 detolfs together, but i'm not sure how sturdy it will be. If you take out both sides of the middle detolf to open it up, it will only be supported by the thin metal frame and the front door. When you open the front door, it will supported by the frame only. However if you attached all 3 together like i did, it should help support it. I can see forsee the front top board of the middle detolf will sag down due to not having any glass support.

Also, be sure to bolt it down to the the wall to for extra support! Good luck putting them together. Post pics if you finish!

Thanks Kirik. I just might try that.

• 3 weeks later...

So i finally finished putting up EVERY Macross toy i own plus a few more in my display cases. here's a sneak peak at my display cases for now before i tweak things and rearrange them the way i want it...

I'm kind of torn because i want to space everything out so i have a nice display, but then i run out of room really fast. But now i feel like everything is starting to look cluttered and that's not how i wanted to display my stuff. I need to get more acrylic bases to add height for the figures on top of the detolfs, but do you guys have any other suggestions for making my display look cleaner?

2009-8-2001.jpg

2009-8-2004.jpg

Edited by KiriK

Less is more when displaying collections. As collectors we want to dispaly every single item we own, but what you end up with is a cluttered display. It's really hard for any viewer to really home in on or concentrate on any pieces you own because there is too much sensory overload. I would try to devote one or two items per shelf (For larger toys). All of the left over toys would go in the closet. Then you could swap items out every few weeks. This way all of your toys get displayed, and they would each get the attention they deserve when you have visitors marvelling at your collection. I'm trying to do this with my collection currently.

Awesome collection BTW. I wish I had as many cabinet as you.

Less is more when displaying collections. As collectors we want to dispaly every single item we own, but what you end up with is a cluttered display. It's really hard for any viewer to really home in on or concentrate on any pieces you own because there is too much sensory overload. I would try to devote one or two items per shelf (For larger toys). All of the left over toys would go in the closet. Then you could swap items out every few weeks. This way all of your toys get displayed, and they would each get the attention they deserve when you have visitors marvelling at your collection. I'm trying to do this with my collection currently.

Awesome collection BTW. I wish I had as many cabinet as you.

I suppose your right about displaying less to make it look like more... but I kind of want to have everything displayed so i don't have to keep rotating stuff every week or month or so. It took me so long to take everything out of the boxes and stuff, i wouldn't want to take the time to rearrange stuff all the time. haha.... call me lazy, but i guess i'll try to figure something out... or man, maybe even have to buy more display cases.

I haven't even began to organize the glass shelves that i stuffed with all my transformers and other collectibles.. yikes!

I suppose your right about displaying less to make it look like more... but I kind of want to have everything displayed so i don't have to keep rotating stuff every week or month or so. It took me so long to take everything out of the boxes and stuff, i wouldn't want to take the time to rearrange stuff all the time. haha.... call me lazy, but i guess i'll try to figure something out... or man, maybe even have to buy more display cases.

I haven't even began to organize the glass shelves that i stuffed with all my transformers and other collectibles.. yikes!

I hear ya. I bought my first house this March, with the intent of displaying all of toys (which is quite abit btw) and most of them are either in my garage, or in my closet still in their boxes or storage containers. My favorites are in my glass cabinets or book shelves. It is really hard to decide which ones get displayed and which ones get stored, because you always end up with toys that are worthy of display but are in the closet.

I plan to get 2 more ikea glass cabints in the near future.

i too, am too lazy and would wanna display everything.. but really better if they're presented in such a way that it doesn't look so stressful to the eyes. don't mind me though, i'm just too OC when it comes to displaying stuff. it took me two days to set up my current display, so i definitely understand how inconvenient it is to change your display from time to time. anyway, i agree on sithlord's suggestion of using risers, and as much as possible try to display all valks at the same pose/config per level/partition, that way it makes if a 'lil tidy, though i sometimes think it's kinda lame..

would also like to share my second custom cab that i'm working right now.. with budget constraints, i'm forced to set up my own display cab, just lucky my friend has all the power tools that i'll be needing to build and set up a decent cabinet..

3791307987_10f6a4eab0_m.jpg

still have to paint it black, tried the natural way and applied varnish, but i didn't like how my valks blend with it.. btw, it only cost me roughly 300USD..

Edited by MaveRick

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the completed display room!!! All my toys and everything is put up. man, i went from 1 book case of stuff a few years ago to this... and i blame most of the friends i've met from AP for encouraging me... and all the group buys..haha

2009-8-17118.jpg

2009-8-17119.jpg

2009-8-17120.jpg

2009-8-17117.jpg

2009-8-17114.jpg

2009-8-17116.jpg

If you want to see more pics of whats on each shelf, visit my collection thread on AP here: (warning, pic heavy!)

http://animepunch.net/forums/viewtopic.php...6&start=100

Edited by KiriK

KiriK, Awesome Room!!!!

Where did you get the wall shelves from? I've been planning to buy some as well. I saw some nice ones on Danny Choo's website a few weeks ago and wanted to see where he purchased his from.

KiriK, Awesome Room!!!!

Where did you get the wall shelves from? I've been planning to buy some as well. I saw some nice ones on Danny Choo's website a few weeks ago and wanted to see where he purchased his from.

Thanks! If you check out the 1st page, i have pictures of how i used the extra glass sides from my IKEA detolfs to make the wall shelves. I just bought the shelf brackets from Lowes and viola! instant glass shelves

Really impressive! I'll say again that its a very innovative and handsomely executed.

I wish I had a room the same size as yours (and the collection too!)

Hm... only thing is that the detolfs seem almost to capacity... haha... time to get at least 2 more to daisy-chain them up1

Bee, looks great. Perhaps when we get our house, my wife and I will do the same thing. The only problem is that I now have so many toys, that I'll need an extra 3 detolfs on top of the 3 I have to store it all. I can no longer walk into my extra room. If it was clean, I'd take a pic of the collection, but it's in shambles now, and everything is in a box. I like the room though, great job on keeping it nice and clean.

great job! awesome display room!... reminded me i used to have "my room" in our house before it was taken over by my kids and filled w/ their toys/junk, stuffed animals, kids table+chairs, blackboard/whiteboard etc. etc. :(:lol:

but still, great job esp. using the leftover glass... most probably tempered so hopefully it won't break and just split...

great job! awesome display room!... reminded me i used to have "my room" in our house before it was taken over by my kids and filled w/ their toys/junk, stuffed animals, kids table+chairs, blackboard/whiteboard etc. etc. :(:lol:

but still, great job esp. using the leftover glass... most probably tempered so hopefully it won't break and just split...

Ugh, don't say things like that... I'm still in denial about keeping my toys safe from my kid!

• 2 months later...

Nice case! I wish when i first bought my detolfs, i got the black ones, but i kept the same color for the rest of my cases. As for the plastic side pieces, i was still able to use them in the back 2 corners since i only cut off the edge along the groove. Are the back glass pieces overlapping the board so you can't fit the plastic piece? Can you take a picture of the of the case and the corner?

I suppose you can do without the plastic pieces, but it sure won't be as stable. I would try to modify the plastic pieces if you can't get them to fit. If you cut the board too short, the only other thing i would suggest is loosening the mending plates holding the boards together and leaving a gap so you can make up for the short boards. Then the back glass piece should have enough space to fit with the plastic.

the side glasses fit the side but with no room for me to use the plastic that connects the back piece and the side piece. So i'm trying to find an alternative to straighten out the glass. it fits ok and is stable

ahh i see. That's strange though, since you didn't modify that side of the detolf at all where the side and back glass panels meet so it should fit normally. Well, as long as it's stable and in the end, i would highly suggest bolting it to a wall like i did so it stays sturdy and doesn't move any of the pieces inside.

Good luck with finishing it and post pictures when you're done! I'm excited someone else did this too... =] As for my display cases, i've rearranged some things, but i've come to the conclusion that i have too much crap and can't display everything as nicely as i would have hoped. I can only blame myself for continuing to buy more Macross stuff though... haha

Here's a recently rearranged Macross Plus shelf plus Gamlin's VF-22s

2009-9-1014.jpg

Edited by KiriK

So here's the completed display room!!! All my toys and everything is put up. man, i went from 1 book case of stuff a few years ago to this... and i blame most of the friends i've met from AP for encouraging me... and all the group buys..haha

2009-8-17118.jpg

2009-8-17119.jpg

2009-8-17120.jpg

2009-8-17117.jpg

2009-8-17114.jpg

2009-8-17116.jpg

If you want to see more pics of whats on each shelf, visit my collection thread on AP here: (warning, pic heavy!)

http://animepunch.net/forums/viewtopic.php...6&start=100

WQW nice man cave or Man office