THE UN-OFFICIAL COLOR SCHEME THREAD

Here's my paint scheme for the VF-2SS Valkyire 2. I call this one "Saffron Thunder". I know my gradients are off moderatley but I was still getting reacquainted with Photshop. The last time I used it was two years ago in my Computer Graphics 1 class in my Junior year of HS So don't harshly criticize it OK? ;)B))

post-3657-1146343694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phalanx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask if anyone here has got a pic showing the underside of the YF-19, preferably a plan view. I really need it as I´m planning on doing a 3D model of it.

If anyone has a clear pic or knows a source for it (magazine scan, model kit instruccions, etc. ) please let me know by PM or post it here.

I would really appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Aegis!

Edited by Aegis!

• 3 weeks later...

In all honesty, I'd much rather Yamato released a 1/48 ver. of one of these sqn schemes, rather than that "Stealth" version. I just don't like that one or find it all that plausible; really, it's just trying to impose the "now" onto the "then," a current concept in aircraft technology/thinking on a 20 yr old design [a timeless and enduring one, though]. If they'd do one like these, I'd definitely be more inclined to part with the dough for a 1/48...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey guys, I havent been on here in FOREVER but I have been checkin in from time to time. Anyways...I really like what I see on this thread, especially those ^^^ up there. I have also made my own Valk "Mock ups"

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just wanted to know where the line art was for the side view of the VF-1D was? After seeing what redsun did with those, It kind of inspired me to play around with the VF-1D as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I used Photoshop 7.0 and in part the paint bucket and color replacement. I'll post the Basic blank vf 2ss I scanned from the Macross II rpg book and I had to clean it all up from the zip tones that were used I think I did a rather good job at doing that.

I just uploaded a newer Version of the the Standard colors of the Skull and here is also the Titan Armor kit

post-6361-1194891264_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1194891433_thumb.jpg

post-6361-1194891639_thumb.jpg

Mr March Im liking your work I especially love the dark VF-4 Ive always loved the dark stuff.

James thanks for giving us more stuff to colour in.

Just out of interest we need to have somewhere you can get ALL the blanks from like one place etc any ideas guys ??

Mr March Im liking your work I especially love the dark VF-4 Ive always loved the dark stuff.

James thanks for giving us more stuff to colour in.

Just out of interest we need to have somewhere you can get ALL the blanks from like one place etc any ideas guys ??

Well, back when I started this I was editing links into the first post, but then servers got switched, images got ditched, and my old HD went kablooey taking my lineart with it.

Maybe I should start scrounging for the images and start putting links on the front page again?

Mr March, great looking stuff. Very clean! I like the cel-shaded look.

big F

Thanks. One of our members, mikeszekely, really liked the idea of a VF-4 in black hull colors so I colored it for him. It turned out good, much better than the default hull colors I think :)

the white drew carey

I used a high resolution image and the multiply feature in Photoshop CS 8.0. It turned out purty :)

On the subject, I have a special wallpaper project I want to make, but I'm lacking the skills. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about some of your art, found in your signature link. Basically, I want to color three pieces of line art to create a portrait-style triptych of three mecha busts (head and shoulders). My coloring is good for simple full vehicle, but detailed close ups require a bit more detail. I'm looking at your close up of the VF-1SR on your website and wondering how you acheive the shading (both sahdow and the shading around the panel lines) and the eye detail for the head unit. If I could figure that out, it would work really well for what I have in mind.

Ok..i finally got one color scheme done using my old templates(4 years back) based on Nied's excellent VF-11 lineart. My skill seemed to have regressed quite abit since.

Went through the trouble to draw the “multi purpose” gunpod for Thunderbolt C only to find out later the whole thing isn’t much visible from side view unlike the VF-1 series. More to come later..

btw Glad to see people coming back to this ancient thread.

post-833-1195566702_thumb.jpg

post-833-1195566717_thumb.jpg

Just a suggestion james take it or leave it. Take your original scan, set it as your base layer, then set up a new layer above it and trace out the lines. This should give you a much cleaner lineart to start with and since you are mostly dealing with hard angles shouldn't prove too hard. Then of course delete your base layer, it should help with coloring it as well.

Also, if you are using photoshop. Set the Line layer to Multiply and only use blacks because white won't show. When you draw the lines, use the brush and click at one edge, then go to the next while holding shift and click again. This will give you a perfectly straight line. Do all your coloring underneath this. It helps to take areas and do them in seperate colors with the pencil tool, this way you can easily select them again with the magic wand. Then on another layer do your actual coloring and on top of this layer do your shading using black and white with the layer set to overlay or soft light. This is an easy enough way for you to paint things like this. So you know that I know what I am talking about you can see some of my work at www.tobynewell.com