Evangelion 2.0: You can (Not) Advance

wolfx

I think I can hold out till late 2013/early 2014 but not quite sure about 2015 :rolleyes:.

But anyway, crap, that's right. It's a tretralogy and not a trilogy... Well, that kinda throws a wrench in there.

Also, are the movies licensed individually or do all four movies fall under one license?

To be fiar, the cycle between the first & second films had a lot to do with the actual setting up of the new animation studio, hiring staff, etc. It's feasable to hope that the release gap between movies will shrink a bit as everyone involved gets more comfortable in their roles. At least that's my hope :)

Same goes for the licensing actually, I think a lot of what had to do with 1.0/1.01/1.11 being licensed was the weak state of the anime industry in the last few years, things do seem to be picking up a bit, and licenses are starting to pick back up.

Oh, it'll probably be out evenutally...but consider: Eva 1.0 came out in Japanese theaters in September 2007. The Japanese DVD of 1.01 came out seven months later. Followed after another year by the Blu-Ray 1.11. In late 2009, the US DVD of 1.01 came out, with the 1.11 Blu-ray coming out in April of 2010.

If that schedule holds, 2.22 will come out in the US in 2012. The third and fourth movies will probably come out in Japan in 2011, with US Blu-ray coming out in 2014.

And the boxset would probably be out in 2015.

To me, that seems like a long time to wait...but maybe I'm weird.

And western production companies then ask themselves why o why so many people go and download stuff...:)

The EVA franchise can get away with these long waits for releasing their stuff on dvd and blu ray, but i can imagine that for other products it must be a killer.

DAMN! Finally watched it. Words cannot begin to describe how awesome it was. Watching it was like a frickin religious experience. (ok part of me knows it's because i've been an Eva fan from the very beginning, and that i've been waiting too damn long for this movie, but still!). LOVED the action sequences and the battles. LOVED the new character (go maaya!). LOVED the way they reinvented the characters. LOVED how shinji continued to show the balls that he could only have dreamed about in the series. LOVED (actually more of WTF shocked to the core, in a nice way)how Rei's character developed. LOVED the redesigned angels. Also liked how they used kare kano music in several scenes, and it worked wonderfully.

Also, I was shocked that they put asuka into unit 03. Knowing what will happen in advance to my favorite eva character put me on the edge of my seat. Damn you anno for making me dread the future of a character so much. Mari took a lot of Asuka's thunder, so I hope asuka makes up for it in the later movies (i did see her with the eyepatch in the preview. how cool is that?)

Good point from Taksraven that the main characters seem to have evolved into the stereotypes of the very characters they helped popularize, but on the other hand, it's nice to see them not as fully mentally messed up as in the series. but, hey, there are still 2 movies to go, and with anno on board, who knows how much messed up they will be in the end. :p

And now for the loooong wait for the 3rd one. And hoping that someone also screens Eva 2 in a cinema here. Foreign film festivals, don't fail me now!

Edited by dreamweaver13

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed this movie. I watched it a couple of times and haven't got bored of it yet. ^^;

Lovely sequences, you got the calm sections, then the action sections and back to calm, it flows pretty well.

I loved the revamped sequences from the TV show, such as the running to the falling angel, loved it.

Mari is is pretty fun to watch for now, mysterious glasses girl, I LIKE! Her Figma is coming out too, must get lol.

Not much character development from Mari and Asuka, although, fans of the show would already know Asuka. In this movie, she feels new.

Saw a BD RoE: 1.11 at HMV, may just nab it after I get paid :3

Just watched 2.22 on bluray............ F U C K I N G E P I C ! ! !

And for those who doubted the Unit-03 scenario from the tv series

TV series ---> Touji's sister is in the hospitol in critical condition ---> Touji pilots!

2.22 ---Touji's sister makes a full recovery ---> Asuka pilots!

BAM!

Aside from that, this is probably the finest movie adaptation of a tv series (so far) that I've ever seen, even topping out Galaxy Express 999, & the 0079 Gundam movies. Though to be honest, I really can't tell if they're meant to be standalone, or follow up the TV series. Watching this film with its various nods & clues that it may in fact take place after EoE, I can't bring myself to seperate the two viewing experiences, so I can't look at this film objectively from a "what if I never watched the show" standpoint, nor do I want to, it/s just too damned good.

This film packed so much in though, I can't imagine what's left to fill two more.

Did anyone else get a serious Gunbuster vibe from the movie though? I don't know if it was just the visual style, but it felt very Gunbustery to me. At this point, I half expect Noriko to pop up.

Edited by Keith

Just watched 2.22 on bluray............ F U C K I N G E P I C ! ! !

And for those who doubted the Unit-03 scenario from the tv series

TV series ---> Touji's sister is in the hospitol in critical condition ---> Touji pilots!

2.22 ---Touji's sister makes a full recovery ---> Asuka pilots!

BAM!

Huh. I guess you can make a case for that, but it's still far from air-tight.

An English subtitled version is out now in Hong Kong.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni2540716/

When should we expect the official US release? I assume they will do an English dubbed release in the US, so I wonder how long that normally takes from the time the Japanese DVD release occurred on May 26th.

I couldn't wait for the US release, so I bought the HK one. It looks great, and the English subs are ok i.e. no Engrish (actually, it's almost word-for-word the same as the ones included with a torrent from late May).

I couldn't wait for the US release, so I bought the HK one. It looks great, and the English subs are ok i.e. no Engrish (actually, it's almost word-for-word the same as the ones included with a torrent from late May).

The HK bluray is pretty damn awesome, with only a few instances of slightly awkward english usage.

BTW, has there been any official reason yet given for Asuka's name change (from Souryu to Shikinami), probably the most mysterious difference so far.

Edited by Keith

BTW, has there been any official reason yet given for Asuka's name change (from Souryu to Shikinami), probably the most mysterious difference so far.

I wonder if it's meant to be another clue that the Rebuild movies represent

another iteration of the world after Third Impact.

You know, I also really liked their explanation for Shinji's SDAT player this time, add's a lot more relevance to it.

Yeah, that was definitely cool. When I watched 1.0, I thought, "Why didn't they update it to an iPhone or something?" But the explanation made perfect sense.

Something else I've been thinking about, in regards to the new Kowaru dialogue,

specifically him referring to either Gendo or Fuyutsuki as "father," and the "this time I'll make you happy" in regards to Shinji. It always was somewhat nebulous who Kowaru's body was cloned from, but when you combine both of those quotes, you get a high probability that his body is a clone of Gendo. Under those terms, it's easy to see him referring to Gendo as "father," as well as feeling a responsability towards Shinji's happyness, which Gendo completely neglects.

Something else I've been thinking about, in regards to the new Kowaru dialogue,

specifically him referring to either Gendo or Fuyutsuki as "father," and the "this time I'll make you happy" in regards to Shinji. It always was somewhat nebulous who Kowaru's body was cloned from, but when you combine both of those quotes, you get a high probability that his body is a clone of Gendo. Under those terms, it's easy to see him referring to Gendo as "father," as well as feeling a responsability towards Shinji's happyness, which Gendo completely neglects.

Okay, now you've COMPLETELY lost me...

Where do you get that Kaworu is a clone...?

Okay, now you've COMPLETELY lost me...

Where do you get that Kaworu is a clone...?

I don't know if

"clone"

is the correct term for it, but I thought it was hinted at in the TV series that

Rei and Kaworu are Angel/human hybrids, with Rei's human half coming from Shinji's mom.

Edited by ly000001

I don't know if

"clone"

is the correct term for it, but I thought it was hinted at in the TV series that

Rei and Kaworu are Angel/human hybrids, with Rei's human half coming from Shinji's mom.

Rei's a mix, sure...but Kaworu was the 17th Angel...not a hybrid.

Non-spoiler Eva TV 101:

Kowaru is actually Adam, the first Angel, Rei is actually Lilith the second Angel, their souls were taken from their original body's. Adam's body is the embryo Gendo implanted into his hand, Lilith's body is the Angel on the cross in Terminal Dogma. Lilith's soul was placed in a clone body of Yui Ikaru, and renamed Rei Ayanami. Adam's soul was placed in a clone body of a mystery doner, and renamed Kowaru Nagisa. Both were cuncurrently used as test data to create the dummy plug system, though for reasons which were never quite clear, Lilith's soul was splintered somehow, and half placed in Unit-00 after the death of Rei I & Naoko Akagi. Lilith/Rei regained her full self after the destruction of Rei II & Unit-00.

Yes Kowaru was classified as the 17th Angel, which only happened because Seele hastened the schedule of events to combat Gendo's alterior motives.

Now some Eva math:

Adam's Soul (Kowaru) + Adam's Body (embryo) + Lilith's soul (Rei) + Lilith's body (giant on the cross) = original first impact god Lilith. Though Gendo tried to supliment Adam's soul with his own, until Rei/Lilith rejected him.

Which takes us back to the new developements in 2.22

where again, the symetry of Rei's body coming from Yui would be perfectly complimented with Kowaru's body coming from Gendo, also strengthening the bond Kowaru feels towards Shinji.

As of yet, there's not much of anything lending itself to the theory that these are post EoE events, while possible yes, may be nothing more than a red (LCL ocean filled) herring. Evidence against this includes the Lance of Longinus being on the moon with Kowaru's Unit, since at the finale of EoE, Yui/Unit-01 took it out into space with her.

Edited by Keith

Non-spoiler Eva TV 101:

Kowaru is actually Adam, the first Angel, Rei is actually Lilith the second Angel, their souls were taken from their original body's. Adam's body is the embryo Gendo implanted into his hand, Lilith's body is the Angel on the cross in Terminal Dogma. Lilith's soul was placed in a clone body of Yui Ikaru, and renamed Rei Ayanami. Adam's soul was placed in a clone body of a mystery doner, and renamed Kowaru Nagisa. Both were cuncurrently used as test data to create the dummy plug system, though for reasons which were never quite clear, Lilith's soul was splintered somehow, and half placed in Unit-00 after the death of Rei I & Naoko Akagi. Lilith/Rei regained her full self after the destruction of Rei II & Unit-00.

Yes Kowaru was classified as the 17th Angel, which only happened because Seele hastened the schedule of events to combat Gendo's alterior motives.

Um...where in the TV show was this confirmed...?

EoE, Fuyutski's exposition, Keele's exposition, RCB, etc.

Okay...I haven't watched Eva in a while, and I don't have it with me here, so you'll have to indulge me a bit here...did they ACTUALLY come out and say that, or is there a healthy dose of speculation on your part thrown in...?

Okay...I haven't watched Eva in a while, and I don't have it with me here, so you'll have to indulge me a bit here...did they ACTUALLY come out and say that, or is there a healthy dose of speculation on your part thrown in...?

Eva Director's Cut episode 24, new scene with Kowaru surrounded by Seele:

SEELE:

And in Adam, progenitor of Angels - the true successors from the lost White Moon.

SEELE:

And whose salvaged soul resides only within you...

SEELE 01:

But whose revived body is already inside Ikari.

Pretty blunt no?

Edited by Keith

Eva Director's Cut episode 24, new scene with Kowaru surrounded by Seele:

SEELE:

And in Adam, progenitor of Angels - the true successors from the lost White Moon.

SEELE:

And whose salvaged soul resides only within you...

SEELE 01:

But whose revived body is already inside Ikari.

Pretty blunt no?

Yes it is. Point taken.

FINNALLLYY!. Just got a message from the post office saying that there's a package from Hong Kong that I can pick up on monday.

Not only will I finally be able to see Evangelion 2.22, but I'll also be able to re-read this thread AND FINALLY read the spoilers...

My self restraint has been nothing short of exemplary:D

FINNALLLYY!. Just got a message from the post office saying that there's a package from Hong Kong that I can pick up on monday.

Not only will I finally be able to see Evangelion 2.22, but I'll also be able to re-read this thread AND FINALLY read the spoilers...

My self restraint has been nothing short of exemplary:D

you sir are in for a supreme treat, though I'd also call back that post office and ask why they're not letting you pick it up today, since they should still be open, as the 4th isn't 'til tomorrow, bastards!

Thanks Gubabba! I watched the first scene this morning before getting my son ready for day care and it was totally freaking epic!!! The new character is HOT!!! and the graphics are superb!

Thanks Gubabba! I watched the first scene this morning before getting my son ready for day care and it was totally freaking epic!!! The new character is HOT!!! and the graphics are superb!

Thank you for coming at your brief review of this film like a normal human being, and not a philosophy major, which is a mistake that many people are making when reviewing this film.

Taksraven

Holy crap!!! I just watched the whole 2.22 just now and jiminy cricket was it amazing!! One of the most epic pieces of anime I have ever watched. So much emotion, such perfect visuals, really a refined evangelion, that truly goes to the next level. I love how different it is from the original series and movies. I was fully captured by the film, senses immersed. What a journey!!!

And @taksraven it is interesting what you said. Made me laugh. Also because part of me had my head spinning in the theories and plots, wanting to go through and watch the whole original series again, and the movies and all the way up to this again and read books and theories to make sense of it all. However the greater part of me decided to relax into the mystery. I can accept that I do not have to, nor would ever be able to, comprehend with certainty in a cerebral way what this is all about. Instead just enjoy the beauty of this work. Funny, I hope that does not make me sound like a philosophy major.