Evangelion 2.0: You can (Not) Advance

wolfx

There's another interesting bit Kowaru says while Gendo & Fuyutsuki try to see what's going on, on the moon. He

calls one of them "father", which is definately a new plot point. Going by what we know of what he is, in comparison of what Rei is, I'm going to make an educated guess, and say his body is a clone of Gendo's. That being the case, Kowaru's various comments about Shinji while surface could be construed as this all being post EoE, could actually be Kowaru feeling some sort of responsability as a father towards Shinji.

The wait for 3.0 is just going to be pure torture!

I hope they keep to the initial plan of releasing 3 and 4 together, but somehow I cannot imagine them keeping up that schedule.

I hope they keep to the initial plan of releasing 3 and 4 together, but somehow I cannot imagine them keeping up that schedule.

Well, since 3 and 4 are meant to be only 45 minutes each, it shouldn't be a problem. Calling 3 and 4 separate movies is like calling EoE two separate movies, since it's episodes 25' and 26'.

Totally missed that news, when was it announced?

Well, since 3 and 4 are meant to be only 45 minutes each, it shouldn't be a problem. Calling 3 and 4 separate movies is like calling EoE two separate movies, since it's episodes 25' and 26'.

Oh, I hadn't understood that bit. Excellent. That means that hopefully it shouldn't take THAT long...

I'm sure it can all be written off somehow. They'll throw enough curve balls at you and wont give any answers. Meanwhile was watching EoE, and had another "oh sh*#" moment.

post-10971-128320246305_thumb.jpg

I think there was a shot in 2.22 where there were a bunch of lances on the moon too, but that

wouldn't connect to EoE because the lances turned into lcl.

I'm sure it can all be written off somehow. They'll throw enough curve balls at you and wont give any answers. Meanwhile was watching EoE, and had another "oh sh*#" moment.

post-10971-128320246305_thumb.jpg

I think there was a shot in 2.22 where there were a bunch of lances on the moon too, but that

wouldn't connect to EoE because the lances turned into lcl.

About the lances

In Eva TV/EoE there was only one lance on the moon, and that was the original Longinus spear. Rei used it to take out an Angel in Earth's orbit, and it proceeded to land on the moon. The false spears were all career by the mass produced Eva series on Earth.

The spears on the moon in 2.22 however would seem to be there to either put a restraint on Unit-05, or Kowaru. You'll note he uses one of them to disable Unit-01's ascension to godhood.

I am really interested in seeing them make a direct connection to the original series/movies. Is this one of the possible alternate realities brought up/about in instrumentality? Will the entire world come crashing down around Shinji in the 4th movie?

In a word, not really very likely at all, and if anything would cheapen the rebuild project alltogether.

The alternate possability in Eva TV/EoE wasn't shown for the sake of being alternate, but to illustrate how hollow a false world existence would be for Shinji.

As for connecting the Rebuild's to the originals, there are several major factor's playing against that right now. The biggest, Unit-01 with the original Longinus spear left Earth to go start the life process elsewhere. The White Moon was destroyed, the Angels were destroyed, and the Black Moon was torn out of the Earth's surface, and then melded with the Lilith god. Admittedly, the blockage in Earth's admospehre does look similar to the Instrumentality process in EoE, but that could be more for the purpose of showing Second Impact's damage.

Edited by Keith

Fair enough, but there are 2 movies to go and...

Don't forget the huge blood streak on the moon. That could be anything... but they did briefly touch on alternate realities in the original show. Kaworu - "This time I will make you happy." Though, Kaworu could be referring to himself being a clone of Gendo or something out there like that.

I mean, the rebuild is already kinda cheap in a "let's charge you 4 times for the same basic story!" kind of way anywayyy... but still awesome.

Edited by Max Jenius

Fair enough, but there are 2 movies to go and...

Don't forget the huge blood streak on the moon. That could be anything... but they did briefly touch on alternate realities in the original show. Kaworu - "This time I will make you happy." Though, Kaworu could be referring to himself being a clone of Gendo or something out there like that.

I mean, the rebuild is already kinda cheap in a "let's charge you 4 times for the same basic story!" kind of way anywayyy... but still awesome.

Like I said, the alternate realities weren't there for the sake of showing differnt forms of existence. They were there to show the hollowness of not living in reality. What they taught Shinji, was that a "real" existence was a preferable existence, even if it was more painful than fantasy.

This one's been bothering me since I first saw the preview trailer for the third Rebuild movie:

4955297245_416903783b.jpg

The one on the left is, of course, AU (Alternate Universe) Ayanami from the last EVA TV episode, and the one on the right is from the trailer. Why would the one on the right be wearing AU Ayanami's uniform? Is it another clue that something fishy is going on with reality in the EVA universe? Or is it simply a red herring for people like myself who have nothing better to do than to frame advance obsessively through trailers? :)

This one's been bothering me since I first saw the preview trailer for the third Rebuild movie:

4955297245_416903783b.jpg

The one on the left is, of course, AU (Alternate Universe) Ayanami from the last EVA TV episode, and the one on the right is from the trailer. Why would the one on the right be wearing AU Ayanami's uniform? Is it another clue that something fishy is going on with reality in the EVA universe? Or is it simply a red herring for people like myself who have nothing better to do than to frame advance obsessively through trailers? smile.gif

That's a simpler one actually. In Japan, school uniforms are seasonal.

That's a simpler one actually. In Japan, school uniforms are seasonal.

Do seasons still exist in EVA? ;)

Actually, that occurred to me, too, but IIRC, seasonal uniforms at a particular school, even though they're designed for different types of weather, usually share some sort of design similarity, so that you can easily identify them as belonging to that school. Even if it is indeed their school's winter uniform, does that mean part of the third movie takes place weeks or months before/after the second movie?

Do seasons still exist in EVA? wink.gif

Actually, that occurred to me, too, but IIRC, seasonal uniforms at a particular school, even though they're designed for different types of weather, usually share some sort of design similarity, so that you can easily identify them as belonging to that school. Even if it is indeed their school's winter uniform, does that mean part of the third movie takes place weeks or months before/after the second movie?

Could be, the end of 2.22 would seem to combine

a couple events. In the TV version, this is when Shinji oversynced with Unit-01, & Misato had to coax him back to a solid form ::wink:: But now that he & Rei are there, things get a bit more tangled. I think in the TV version though, he was lost in there for a period of weeks.

Edited by Keith

Do seasons still exist in EVA? ;)

It would seem that the events of Eva TV took place throughout summer....or because of the effects of the 2nd impact, seasons ceased to exist in Tokyo 3. *shrug*

Ryoji Kaji's accent. Is that one from a particular region of Japan? Or is it just meant to sound a bit "strange"? Any Japanese speakers who can help me out?

I don't really detect any kind of dialect from him...but I'm bad at picking up pretty much anything besides cartoonish exaggerations of the Kansai and Hokkaido dialects...

Kaji's Engrish is terrible though. They have fluent English VA's for the Europeans/Russians, Kaji trying to sound cool but even I would react the same as to what he is saying as he is intelligible butchering the English language.

Oh yeah, his accent when he's speaking English is wretched. When I saw the movie in the theater, I found the Japanese subs during that scene to be easier to understand than his dialogue.

Oh yeah, his accent when he's speaking English is wretched. When I saw the movie in the theater, I found the Japanese subs during that scene to be easier to understand than his dialogue.

I still am not quite sure what it is he said!

I still am not quite sure what it is he said!

(Betania Base) Commander: Defend the Limbo Area at all costs! We cannot allow it to escape from Acheron!

Kaji: Blah-blah-blah... blah-blah. Blah-blah! (waves goodbye and leaves CIC)

Commander: (turns to Sub-commander) What did he say?

Sub-commander: Uh, I don't know, sir. I thought you were the one who understood him.

Commander: Me? I don't care what it says on his service record, not a thing has come out of his mouth that I recognize as any word in any language officially or unofficially spoken on this base. (turns to his staff) Has anyone here understood anything Inspector Kaji's said since he arrived here?

(Everybody looks blankly at each other)

Commander: Well, damn it, why did they send him here in the first place?!

(Ten minutes earlier...)

Guard: Sir? Excuse me, sir, what are you doing? That's the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, it's never supposed to leave this room.

Kaji: (smiling) Blah-blah-blah... blah-blah! :) (walks away)

Guard: Uhh... yeah, okay. Please bring it back right away when you're done with it, sir, okay?

(Betania Base) Commander: Defend the Limbo Area at all costs! We cannot allow it to escape from Acheron!

Sub-commander: Uh, I don't know, sir. I thought you were the one who understood him.

Commander: Me? I don't care what it says on his service record, not a thing has come out of his mouth that I recognize as any word in any language officially or unofficially spoken on this base. (turns to his staff) Has anyone here understood anything Inspector Kaji's said since he arrived here?

(Ten minutes earlier...)

Guard: Sir? Excuse me, sir, what are you doing? That's the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, it's never supposed to leave this room.

Guard: Uhh... yeah, okay. Please bring it back right away when you're done with it, sir, okay?

VERY funny. Well done. Made me LOL at work of all places, then everybody wonders what is funny & I can't explain it to them.

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

(Ten minutes earlier...)

Well done. I actually loled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(Ten minutes earlier...)

Hahaha, that is pretty freakin' hilarious. I also got a laugh from the "f*ck you" remark in regards to the burger and fries advertisement. I just finished watching 1.11 and 2.22 and both are pretty damn epic.

I dunno if the spoiler tags are still needed but for good measure.... Like some of you I was on the edge of my seat at the scene where Unit 01 shreds Unit 03 with Asuka still inside. I know this is a supposed remake or what have ya, but for a good while I thought they actually killed her off. I think it's interesting that they intend to quarantine Asuka and how Ritsuko talks of her as being some kind of "specimen" now that she had been contaminated. The very last shot of her in the preview makes me wonder what they have in store. During the credits, being lead to believe they were going to speed things up with the Human Instrumentality Project with the coming of the Third Impact...I asked myself "what the frak could they possibly have in store for the last two movies...especially the fourth one?" Then I saw the Lance and thought "oh...okay."

The movies are definitely awesome and I am looking forward to the last two. I can only imagine what they have in store for us all. After having read this thread I'm a little bummed to learn that the last two movies will both only be 45 mins long. On a side note, I love the music in both and I cannot get enough of the ending song (Beautiful World) from 1.11. Anyone else?

Hahaha, that is pretty freakin' hilarious. I also got a laugh from the "f*ck you" remark in regards to the burger and fries advertisement. I just finished watching 1.11 and 2.22 and both are pretty damn epic.

I dunno if the spoiler tags are still needed but for good measure.... Like some of you I was on the edge of my seat at the scene where Unit 01 shreds Unit 03 with Asuka still inside. I know this is a supposed remake or what have ya, but for a good while I thought they actually killed her off. I think it's interesting that they intend to quarantine Asuka and how Ritsuko talks of her as being some kind of "specimen" now that she had been contaminated. The very last shot of her in the preview makes me wonder what they have in store. During the credits, being lead to believe they were going to speed things up with the Human Instrumentality Project with the coming of the Third Impact...I asked myself "what the frak could they possibly have in store for the last two movies...especially the fourth one?" Then I saw the Lance and thought "oh...okay."

The movies are definitely awesome and I am looking forward to the last two. I can only imagine what they have in store for us all. After having read this thread I'm a little bummed to learn that the last two movies will both only be 45 mins long. On a side note, I love the music in both and I cannot get enough of the ending song (Beautiful World) from 1.11. Anyone else?

The length is understandable given the amount of general story content that's left to cover. Since many parts of the next two episodes that follow in the TV version of the story have already happened

Rei being absorbed into an Angel, Shinji raging on Nerv, Asuka going into a vegetative state, etc)

the only parts really left are the whole issue of Shinji interacting with Kowaru, and the EoE stuff. It'd also be nice if a couple bits about how this version of Nerv was formed, perhaps the Ritsuko's mother thing could be addressed when Seele try to hack the MAGI, and finally Yui being absorbed into Unit-01. Two 45 minut emovies would suffice in covering all of this territory.

Edited by Keith

The length is understandable given the amount of general story content that's left to cover. Since many parts of the next two episodes that follow in the TV version of the story have already happened

Rei being absorbed into an Angel, Shinji raging on Nerv, Asuka going into a vegetative state, etc)

the only parts really left are the whole issue of Shinji interacting with Kowaru, and the EoE stuff. It'd also be nice if a couple bits about how this version of Nerv was formed, perhaps the Ritsuko's mother thing could be addressed when Seele try to hack the MAGI, and finally Yui being absorbed into Unit-01. Two 45 minut emovies would suffice in covering all of this territory.

Well I had started to get the impression that they were really going to go further with this story than they had in the TV series or EoE. Moreover, if both are going to be 45 mins long...why not just combine the two into one and call it good? I wouldn't mind seeing, in the last two movies, all of which you brought up. Though, from my understanding they're going to give us a completely different ending, right?

Edited by Oihan

Well I had started to get the impression that they were really going to go further with this story than they had in the TV series or EoE. Moreover, if both are going to be 45 mins long...why not just combine the two into one and call it good?

It's an Eva tradition...Death and Rebirth was essentially two movies, as was EoE.

Hmm? I'm not sure I follow... :unsure:

I'm thinking in regards to length of time. ...The two parts/movies in EoE were about 40-45 mins both in length...these last two movies are supposed to be about 45 mins each...etc. ...Just don't worry about it. Forget I said anything.

Edited by Oihan

I'm thinking in regards to length of time. ...The two parts/movies in EoE were about 40-45 mins both in length...these last two movies are supposed to be about 45 mins each...etc. ...Just don't worry about it. Forget I said anything.

Just as I said, the last two will be the replacements for EoE. Storywise, I wouldn't expect anything fundamentally different, as everything up until now has been essential the same, just told in an awesome new way. i'd expect similar results from 3.0 & 4.0.