Evangelion 2.0: You can (Not) Advance

wolfx

Amazing. When is the 1st movie coming out on DVD/Blu-ray here?

I don't think there's any plans on releasing it. If I were running a certain company lke ADV, Genon etc, I would wait until all 4 movies were out since it takes about 1- 2 years to release 1 of these movies thus far.

New trailer is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACrzTlN8oI...feature=related

Woah...talk about ALL NEW ANIMATION! :ph34r:

Man i can't wait to see the new Sea of Durac fight.

this does look interesting. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I actually prefer the old animation and look to the new one. I preferred the original paint schemes and the new EVA-02 looks wrong (I hate the little devil horns on it's head). also I actually like the old traditional animation better, the new stuff is smoother and more fluid, but the old hand drawn animation had a much nicer visual aesthetic that the CG just lacks.

this does look interesting. I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I actually prefer the old animation and look to the new one. I preferred the original paint schemes and the new EVA-02 looks wrong (I hate the little devil horns on it's head). also I actually like the old traditional animation better, the new stuff is smoother and more fluid, but the old hand drawn animation had a much nicer visual aesthetic that the CG just lacks.

Why can't you have both? I do. :D

• 3 weeks later...

So that's what that new Revoltech thing was. It kind of looked EVA-ish... but I couldn't pin it.

I'll watch this, probably enjoy it - but like Anime52k8 said, I too prefer the original hands down. I even prefer the ending of the series to the Movie.

That said, I have been getting more into DYRL lately as opposed to SDFM TV - but I think that mainly because I have only watched DYRL like...once...up to now.

But - whatever - I think the days when you could be a "purist" on anything are long gone. I'm starting to look at the constant re-boots and re-dos the same way as I look at Shakespeare in theatre.

HUNDREDS of directors have given their own spin to Shakespeare's plays (not only, to other classics as well) with often wild results.

It's the same with anime now, I guess. Everybody wants a crack and telling "their" version of a cult classic story.

But still...yeah - the first one is always th best mainly because you have that feeling of just how new and fresh it was...

Pete

Yeah, I'm not digging this either. I think the wheels really ruin it. Then again, given the "insectical" aesthetic of the byped EVAs, I guess making this an actually mantis wouldn't have worked either.

In any event - why? What purpose does this thing have? It has a drill....? Is that a drill? Will they be drilling?

Looks bizarre.

But then again, originally so did EVA as such.

Pete

Yeah, I'm not digging this either. I think the wheels really ruin it. Then again, given the "insectical" aesthetic of the byped EVAs, I guess making this an actually mantis wouldn't have worked either.

In any event - why? What purpose does this thing have? It has a drill....? Is that a drill? Will they be drilling?

Looks bizarre.

It's a spear/drill gun thingie.

You can see it in action (driving and shooting crazy style) in a few seconds in the trailer.

I don't think she's cute. And I don't like her mecha. She's just a wanna be come lately who thinks she can muscle in on Asuka and Rei's turf. Her innocent school girl looks and quado-ped eva unit doesn't fool me for a minute.

And her flight suit thingy makes her look like she should be Cosmo's girlfriend or something...

I dunna like her...

Pete

I think the "wheels" is what ruins it, not necessarily the quadro-configuration. If they were long stalks instead of wheels (like a real insect), it would have been better and a lot more menacing looking... now it just looks like an armed handicapped EVA.

I think the "wheels" is what ruins it, not necessarily the quadro-configuration. If they were long stalks instead of wheels (like a real insect), it would have been better and a lot more menacing looking... now it just looks like an armed handicapped EVA.

That seems to the whole point behind it.

Because the Angel body (which is what inside the EVA's armor) is supposed to be humanoid right? Unless I'm missing anything here.

The trailers looks great, really looking forward to these new movies. They say they're gonna have alternate ending or a better explanation for the the story than in the TV series. Its been years since i've seen eva and i'm still confused at what the hell happened at the end and in the old movies. It was such a mind trip that left me really confused and depressed at times.

I don't see why they had to make a new character for the film series. They already got a couple who never got animated or whose story was never expanded on to bring onto the spotlight. Take for example Mana Kirishima from the Girlfriend of Steel game or Mayumi Yamagishi from the Sega Saturn game.

As for the new Eva, how are they supposed to use that in battle?

The trailers looks great, really looking forward to these new movies. They say they're gonna have alternate ending or a better explanation for the the story than in the TV series. Its been years since i've seen eva and i'm still confused at what the hell happened at the end and in the old movies. It was such a mind trip that left me really confused and depressed at times.

I think you're looking to the movies to provide something they won't/can't.

Yes, the first movie was almost the same as the TV series (until the end), but it looks like things are going to diverge in this movie, and it'll probably be almost completely different by the next.

Anyway, I don't think the endings of either the series or the old movies are THAT confusing. Nowehre near as strange as say, 8 1/2 or Finnegans Wake.

If you don't "get" it, watch it again. After six or seven viewings, The End of Evangelion can turn out to be quite comprehensible. At least, that's how it was for me.

If you don't "get" it, watch it again. After six or seven viewings, The End of Evangelion can turn out to be quite comprehensible. At least, that's how it was for me.

I understand most of the endings, its just that the first time watching them left me disappointed and i still have that same feeling even though i have a better understanding of it. I'm just hoping these knew movies won't give me that feeling if you know what i mean.

I understand most of the endings, its just that the first time watching them left me disappointed and i still have that same feeling even though i have a better understanding of it. I'm just hoping these knew movies won't give me that feeling if you know what i mean.

Ah, I gotcha.

Personally, I'm hoping for a big mindf*ck finale, since nothing screams "Eva" to me like a head-scratch-inducing finish. :D

You say that like it's a bad thing... :D

I think that's why I've avoided watching these new movie adaptations, going through it once is good enough for me. It's not that I don't like Evangelion, it's a love-hate relationship thing, but it's fraking Evangelion! Even with new hotness and mecha, the mind screw's probably not worth revisiting for my sanity.

Fool me once Hideaki Anno... :lol:

/sigh

I liked Eva as it was released. I don't plan on watching these new movies for anything more than to see the new animations. I feel they've destroyed most of what I liked about the designs and now they're pulling a George Lucas on top of that. I guess I'll have to give them a chance, but the mantis eva thing really makes me think that Anno is on crack.