Evangelion 2.0: You can (Not) Advance

wolfx

Holy crap!!! I just watched the whole 2.22 just now and jiminy cricket was it amazing!! One of the most epic pieces of anime I have ever watched. So much emotion, such perfect visuals, really a refined evangelion, that truly goes to the next level. I love how different it is from the original series and movies. I was fully captured by the film, senses immersed. What a journey!!!

And @taksraven it is interesting what you said. Made me laugh. Also because part of me had my head spinning in the theories and plots, wanting to go through and watch the whole original series again, and the movies and all the way up to this again and read books and theories to make sense of it all. However the greater part of me decided to relax into the mystery. I can accept that I do not have to, nor would ever be able to, comprehend with certainty in a cerebral way what this is all about. Instead just enjoy the beauty of this work. Funny, I hope that does not make me sound like a philosophy major.

Nah, doesn't make you sound like that. To me its just annoying that people are getting stuck into overanalysis of NGE and it often stops people from enjoying it as much as they should. Especially stuff like "the simplification of some of the characters, especially Asuka, is a betrayal of what they originally stood for". Now thats not word for word, just the general gist of one of the opinions I have read (and *no*, I am not naming names), but at the end of the day, it is simply a piece of entertainment.

And that's not trying to downgrade the accomplishment of the films. Some things in the films look like the sort of stuff that may have been originally planned but not realised the way the creators intended (see the appearance of Antarctica now, it looked brilliant, one of the most mind blowing parts of the film for me.) The extension of the "dead sea" to cover all the oceans was brilliant too, as was the stuff about the center where they were trying to restore some of the sea and its wildlife.

There I go, overanalysing again....

Taksraven

When I watched the original series at first I hated Asuka, then they brought in her background about her crazy mom that helped give provide for some sympathy and of course the character development in the original series was quite good. But in NGE 2.22 I really like what they did with Asuka, making her a bit less bitchy from the get go and got the audience to care for her in a much shorter amount of time. I love the scene where

She is about to pilot the eva unit 03 and she calls Katsuragi and really opens up, getting us to like her, only just before destroying her.

I guess there was similar development in the series but I think they did a good job here.

When I watched the original series at first I hated Asuka, then they brought in her background about her crazy mom that helped give provide for some sympathy and of course the character development in the original series was quite good. But in NGE 2.22 I really like what they did with Asuka, making her a bit less bitchy from the get go and got the audience to care for her in a much shorter amount of time. I love the scene where

She is about to pilot the eva unit 03 and she calls Katsuragi and really opens up, getting us to like her, only just before destroying her.

I guess there was similar development in the series but I think they did a good job here.

That's definately something Anno has a serious lock on as a director. I think i first noticed it during the last episodes of Kare Kanno when new characters kept popping up left & right, but he has the uncanny ability to make you care about characters in obscenely short periods of time.

Finally watched Evangelion 2.22. I have to confess that I was prepared to be a bit underwhelmed, considering all the hype surrounding the film and the lurking feeling that nothing could ever live up to the series.

Boy was I wrong!! What an epic. The visuals, the music, the action, all the new scenes ...Everything was magnificent.

I'm still in anime heave so I can't comment on specifics, but I'm sure I'll get to those soon.

And many, many thanks to whoever it was who posted that there'd be a HK release with subtitles. Experiences like the one I've today, just reinforce my conviction that waiting to watch things in a proper format i well worth it. The incredible first impression I got from 2.22 wouldn't have been the same had I watched a camrip version of it.

Finally watched Evangelion 2.22. I have to confess that I was prepared to be a bit underwhelmed, considering all the hype surrounding the film and the lurking feeling that nothing could ever live up to the series.

Boy was I wrong!! What an epic. The visuals, the music, the action, all the new scenes ...Everything was magnificent.

I'm still in anime heave so I can't comment on specifics, but I'm sure I'll get to those soon.

And many, many thanks to whoever it was who posted that there'd be a HK release with subtitles. Experiences like the one I've today, just reinforce my conviction that waiting to watch things in a proper format i well worth it. The incredible first impression I got from 2.22 wouldn't have been the same had I watched a camrip version of it.

You sir, are welcome.

Just watched it. 2.22 just took a veritably dysfunctional show and sculpted it into a masterpiece where everything clicks. For the first time in many years of Evangelion I was actually cheering for Shinji. I gotta admit where the old material(imo) was part awesome and part disgusting, 2.22 is 100% fun.

Love the music, reminds me of FLCL.

I am sure that we are all praying and hoping that they don't stuff things up with the final two films......

Does anyone know what Hideaki Anno's state of mind is nowadays??:D

Seriously now (and after cooling down from having my mind blown), there is so much potential in the story as they have done this time around, that I don't mind if they take time in the making and release of them. Just get it right!

• 3 weeks later...

2.0/2.22 has been officially announced by Funi, with a release set sometime next year, and they're going to try & do a theatrical release first. Still totally glad I got the HK BR first though, I'll definately buy the domestic, but I'd hate to have to wait until next year to see it.

2.0/2.22 has been officially announced by Funi, with a release set sometime next year, and they're going to try & do a theatrical release first.

Heh, are you kidding me. I'm going to see it at Dendy Newtown on Thursday. Yay for me.

AND Tiffany Grant + Yuko Miyamura (English/Japanese voice actors for Asuka) are going to be there!!!

ROCK ON!!!!!!

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

Heh, are you kidding me. I'm going to see it at Dendy Newtown on Thursday. Yay for me.

AND Tiffany Grant + Yuko Miyamura (English/Japanese voice actors for Asuka) are going to be there!!!

ROCK ON!!!!!!

Taksraven

If you figure out a way to get into a kinky 3 way, don't forget to record it!

ROCK ON!!!!!!

Taksraven

Seeing this movie in a cinema?? Big screen?

Me very jealous:D

Just watched Evangelion 2.22 again and just can't get over how good it is!

One would have though that the scene where the dummy plug piloted EVA unit 1 tears unit 3 apart couldn't be more of an overwhelming assault to the senses. Boy was I wrong. Asuka being the pilot instead of Suzuhara just ups the psychological impact. And the contrast between the violence on scene and the music in the background is just...impossible to describe.

I still don't really get what Mari Manikami's role is though. But I hope the 3rd film will make it clear.

Edited by Marzan

Wow..I just finished watching 2.22 blu ray ,damn what an awesome installment! and Epic in the truest sense of the word!

funny tho,One of the best things I really like about these films is that they have made Shinji actually more likable and talkative.

Ahem, major spoiler edits to your post maybe for those who haven't seen it?

Really sorry about that. Typed quote instead of spoiler. My attention span is shortening by the minute...

PM'd you. :)

PM me too!

Oh man, what can I say but I have had so much fun with this movie. As an Evangelion fan, it's fun to have them screw everything up even more than before.

I'm mad at how asuka was apparently killed & Unit 02 took a beating as usual.. but hopefully they play an important role later.

I can't believe everything that's happening, it's so enjoyable to watch after poring over tons of EVA lore over the years. To have both expanded upon & turned upside down the world they created makes it a blast to watch! (at least for me. :D)

I'm mad at how asuka was apparently killed & Unit 02 took a beating as usual.. but hopefully they play an important role later.

Well if the preview at the end of the credits can be trusted, it does seem that Asuka the pirate will come back and kick some *ss. And I hope to see some kind of interaction between Mari and the others.

Haha, yeah I saw that. I figured it wasn't permanent since there's 2 movies left. tongue.gif

That, and

they never said she was dead, just being sealed away to make sure she didn't have any Angel contamination.

I think we can all agree on how badass Unit 06 looks..

is it just me or does it somewhat make you think of the VF-27 Lucifer,maybe in the head area..

I actually think that's an intentional homage, especially given Anno's Macross roots.

I know I'm late to the party, again, but I just wanted to say that this was great entertainment to say the least. I continue to enjoy what they've done with the Angels and some of the other technical stuff. In regards to the story I've never really understood the need to tweak it but it works. My only gripe is the new Eva pilot. I mean, maybe my cheap bootleg's translations aren't doing her justice, but as far as I can tell she's been largely unnecessary and has been present only for the sake of cheap bouncy boob and panty shots. Does she, or will she have more to contribute to the story, or is she just for the sake of the date-less anime geeks?

I know I'm late to the party, again, but I just wanted to say that this was great entertainment to say the least. I continue to enjoy what they've done with the Angels and some of the other technical stuff. In regards to the story I've never really understood the need to tweak it but it works. My only gripe is the new Eva pilot. I mean, maybe my cheap bootleg's translations aren't doing her justice, but as far as I can tell she's been largely unnecessary and has been present only for the sake of cheap bouncy boob and panty shots. Does she, or will she have more to contribute to the story, or is she just for the sake of the date-less anime geeks?

The next movie preview implies that she'll play a bigger rolei n the next film. Though in general, I suspect she's taking on some of Kaji's original "f^ck around behind the scenes" role.

As Keith said it seems that she plays a larger role in the next movie. Let's hope she does live up to expectations and does more than just steal Asuka's thunder,

Having said, I think she somehow is the creators addition to appeal to a newer public that hasn't seen NGE before and needs some more recognizable traits. Hence the glasses (meganekko and all that), "fuller" figure more in accordance to today's character designs etc.

• 2 weeks later...

been holding off on watching this until earlier today, but just can't wait anymore and OMFG!!! i looveed it.

I love mari's quirky personality, and even rei is much more than a robot.

Asuka's always been my fav character and...

..when I saw what happened to her, I was like OMG, YOU DID NOT JUST KILL ASUKA!" but thankfully she's still around, I suppose this is the equivalent part in the series where she gets mind raped and gets put out of commission

for awhile. Going to be interesting what she pilots next. Her and her eva were the fighting spirit in EoE and provided

pretty much the only action. The character deserves much more than sitting around for the next 2 movies.

Shinji did a good job, and good to see Rei didn't die this time, that was such a tense moment! I'm still on my high/excitement. Hurry up funi, I want my BR!

been holding off on watching this until earlier today, but just can't wait anymore and OMFG!!! i looveed it.

I love mari's quirky personality, and even rei is much more than a robot.

Asuka's always been my fav character and...

Hurry up funi, I want my BR!

That maybe quite a wait considering how "unbelievably fast" Funimation get's its stuff on the market:D

That maybe quite a wait considering how "unbelievably fast" Funimation get's its stuff on the market:D

2.22, 2011 so Not too bad. Hopefully eva 3 will be in theaters by 2012 or less. Trying to keep

A yearly eva fix.

Now regarding post EoE...

initially I passed the preview for movie 3 as just a nod

To the series, but just watched the end of 1.11 again and koaru say,

"The third one again huh, you sure haven't changed" this is regarding

Shinji. So what do you all think? Have they met before? Did anno watch

Too much bigo?

2.22, 2011 so Not too bad. Hopefully eva 3 will be in theaters by 2012 or less. Trying to keep

A yearly eva fix.

Now regarding post EoE...

initially I passed the preview for movie 3 as just a nod

To the series, but just watched the end of 1.11 again and koaru say,

"The third one again huh, you sure haven't changed" this is regarding

Shinji. So what do you all think? Have they met before? Did anno watch

Too much bigo?

There's another interesting bit Kowaru says while Gendo & Fuyutsuki try to see what's going on, on the moon. He

calls one of them "father", which is definately a new plot point. Going by what we know of what he is, in comparison of what Rei is, I'm going to make an educated guess, and say his body is a clone of Gendo's. That being the case, Kowaru's various comments about Shinji while surface could be construed as this all being post EoE, could actually be Kowaru feeling some sort of responsability as a father towards Shinji.