New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Got an e-mail from Masei with some sizing info, colour options, cost and deposit.

Now I gotta decide which colour to go for... <_<

Same here, been awhile since I've rode so I need to get sized again. Hmmm Hikaru or Fokker???

I got the preorder info as well. Waiting on a reply for paypal info, and I'm set. I wanted to go with the purple shade from the original Yamato helmet release, but the red is my final choice. Now to start shopping to make the rest of the DYRL flight suit. Hope to have this done by MW con. And BTW, if there is a riding group, that'd be awesome to see. I'll have to join you guys.

Got my email...nice.

Pay $150 up front and the rest in August.

Now...I'm the size of Kevin Hart...around 5'3" 145 lbs. I have a size Medium on order.

Would that be the right size?

Got my email...nice.

Pay $150 up front and the rest in August.

Now...I'm the size of Kevin Hart...around 5'3" 145 lbs. I have a size Medium on order.

Would that be the right size?

Wow, we're like twins. I also opted for a medium Hikaru. Do they send a paypal invoice or something? They didn't really elaborate.

As I've done the measurements, I'm exactly in between a med and large size. For you riders out there, is it better to go with a smaller, more snug helmet, or a larger, maybe needing thicker padding?

edit:: I too, am getting a Hikaru Medium, but maybe later in the year, will get one like the Yamato purple helmet that came out before the re-release of the replica helmets, like this one:

post-582-0-22367900-1394488739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

As I've done the measurements, I'm exactly in between a med and large size. For you riders out there, is it better to go with a smaller, more snug helmet, or a larger, maybe needing thicker padding?

In general, helmets should be on the snug side. Loose helmets are no good. But it's kinda hard to tell without handling a sample. And of course fitment is more than just sizing, with head-shape having a lot to do with it. Certain brands fit better on certain people; Arai actually designs different helmets for different shapes and includes that information in its marketing.

I'm going with a large; also, what did you guys hear about color options? I didn't see any options presented, and they didn't seem to have a problem when I just asked for a Max Jenius one.

I really wish he/they would stop using the photo(s) of a Yamato helmet to represent the finished product.

I don't think the visor will look much like Yamato's at all.

Ahhh darn.. Was hoping it'd look like the Yamato one.

Not sure if I should get one now, because I don't even ride a bike, and it would probably end up as a display piece or something I wear every now and then to conventions.

• 2 weeks later...

you can always mod or replace the visor to look like the yamato one.

This is true. I've already thought of it, in case it becomes a necessity for what I'm doing. I'll probably use this more for cosplay reasons. When I did go to the helmet shop, I tried on the Arai, Shoei, and several other cheaper brands. Medium seems to be just fine on all of them, although, the Arai helmets seemed to have less space around the lower jaw for me, so I didn't like that too much. But I'm going with a medium, especially since I hadn't cut my hair in 7 months and now my hair is short again. Medium should work just fine for me, and I should have my Hikaru colored one in June/July.

although, the Arai helmets seemed to have less space around the lower jaw for me, so I didn't like that too much.

That can vary within manufacturers with the same fitment between styles; different specific styles will have varying chin bar geometry. Of course the biggest variation would be between categories - modular vs. normal vs. dual-sport - but it will also vary between models. And note that Arai specifically targets different head shapes across their models, so just because Arai model A fits superbly doesn't mean model B will do so as well. The general sizing will be consistent, but because it is designed for a different head shape, the final fitment will not be the same. This is in contrast to the other major manufacturers, who tend to have a similar shape to most (or all) of their helmets. For me, Shoei fits the best; I personally wear an RF-1100, though I could also easily wear a Qwest or X-Twelve (or of course the new RF, the RF-1200) and achieve virtually the same level of fitment I currently experience.

But this is all really getting a little off-topic and just into motorcycling gear concerns...

Got my deposit down. Yay, can't wait til August. That chest/shoulder piece thing that Jasonc posted (upper part of flight suit) is sweet. Wonder if anyone's gonna make that for sale. I was thinking of making the flight suit, but I've never made costumes before, other than a Star Wars Biker scout (bought the armor pieces, but made the boots, and all the other fabric pieces). Sculpting and vacuum forming hard pieces is beyond my abilities.

Was thinking though, maybe dying/bleaching a real flight suit white (real flight suits aren't that expensive, around 30 to 40 bucks on ebay, that's what I used for the under costume for the biker scout), would make a better looking costume. In terms of material. I've seen some macross flight suit costumes and the material didn't look right. Kinda looked like long footie pajamas made of soft cotton or something. Just seemed a little off. Anyway...I'm off to sleep, someone wake me when it's August.

Edited by ashuram

Will there be plugs to cover the screw holes shown in the pictures? Overall, I like the design. I would like to have seen the visor more rounded on the horizontal plane, like the Yamato helmet, but overall, looking very good.

Got my deposit down. Yay, can't wait til August. That chest/shoulder piece thing that Jasonc posted (upper part of flight suit) is sweet. Wonder if anyone's gonna make that for sale. I was thinking of making the flight suit, but I've never made costumes before, other than a Star Wars Biker scout (bought the armor pieces, but made the boots, and all the other fabric pieces). Sculpting and vacuum forming hard pieces is beyond my abilities.

Was thinking though, maybe dying/bleaching a real flight suit white (real flight suits aren't that expensive, around 30 to 40 bucks on ebay, that's what I used for the under costume for the biker scout), would make a better looking costume. In terms of material. I've seen some macross flight suit costumes and the material didn't look right. Kinda looked like long footie pajamas made of soft cotton or something. Just seemed a little off. Anyway...I'm off to sleep, someone wake me when it's August.

I thought about options as well. As it is more of a flight suit, I may just have one made out of a higher quality fabric, like Nomex, or some sort of proper fabric to get the right properties. As for the hard parts, I have 1/4" large styrene sheets that can be baked for 30 seconds, and then formed over a contoured piece and over whatever to make the proper shapes. The ankle pieces should be easy, but the forearm pieces will require some work. The backpack will be the easiest of the hard pieces, as well as the belt. That's probably where a wallet can go, Hahaha.

Edited by Jasonc

You may want to use that email you were given, and ask them to send you the invoice. That's how they were doing it, and then just pay once the invoice is sent. I'm on my phone now, so looking it up fr me at this moment is a bit much. Sorry. Hopefully when I get home, if no one can confirm, I might be able to help.

• 4 weeks later...

We will take some pictures of new updates of the molding tool... You can use it as motorcycle helmet, motocross helmet... as well. DOT approvd.

If you are not a biker, you can use it as display at home or store... We can take custom orders of your colors, graphics, and others... XS S M L XL XXL size...

For more information, emai us to masei_helmet @ hotmail com

Again, the ETA is August/Sept to the address listed in your paypal. We have received over 50 pre-orders and payment, so there will be no more delay. Only 300 available for this year.

We will take some pictures of new updates of the molding tool... You can use it as motorcycle helmet, motocross helmet... as well. DOT approvd.

If you are not a biker, you can use it as display at home or store... We can take custom orders of your colors, graphics, and others... XS S M L XL XXL size...

For more information, emai us to masei_helmet @ hotmail com

Again, the ETA is August/Sept to the address listed in your paypal. We have received over 50 pre-orders and payment, so there will be no more delay. Only 300 available for this year.

Thanks for the update. Are the Medium size, Hikaru helmets still going to be available by June? Also had a question about the screw holes. Will those have covers to hide them? I really can't wait to get this helmet.

fiberglass or composite?

Composite is going to be a heavy, and turbulent helmet.

Also, why no size charts? you can't go off of just L, XL, XXL ect. We need actual measurement sizes.

Too big of a helmet and you die, to small and you can't use it

NHTSA does not test helmets against the DOT standards before they can claim DOT certification; rather, each helmet manufacturer marketing their helmets for road use in the U.S. must test and self-certify the models they want to sell and then permanently affix the “DOT” emblem signifying compliance with FMVSS 218.

NHTSA enforces the standard by acquiring random samples of the product and sending them to an independent testing lab to verify compliance. Penalties to manufacturers for marketing non-compliant products can be steep—up to $5,000 per helmet.

DOT doesn't mean anything to products from other countries. I'd advise anyone buying this not to Ride with it. Nothing against Masei, but I highly doubt they have sent samples in to get approved, when they don't have to. DOT stickers are cheap, US testing is not.

Edited by skullmilitia