The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

kinda hard to tell, with all that plastic crap all over the engine bay. I hate that sh*t...

Seconded. I think it's most ironic in the current Hemi crop---many owners are proud to open their hood and show off their engine--without realizing that all they're showing you is a piece of plastic. It blows their minds when you pop it off and show them their actual engine for the first time...

On my last car, I took the cover and its mount off permanently, otherwise you couldn't see the supercharger...

The AMP Energy 500 race at Talladega last week was intense, especially during the final lap. The top two finishers (#33 Clint Bowyer and #29 Kevin Harvick) were involved in a collision in the middle of the race, but despite front-end damage on both cars, they finished 1 and 2. The race also ended with a crash that sent #43 A.J. Allmendinger airborne.

Gotta admit, it is pretty impressive, being able to get 8000+ rpms from engines using "antiquated" pushrod/ohv technology--and on a sustained basis, not just quick sprints.

While I'm not a fan of that style of racing, I still have a healthy respect for the guys who build and race the cars--particularly at the grassroots level, the racers who hold down a regular job and do it on the w'ends.

Really? Does buying their car actually make the situation any better?

post-237-128926846251_thumb.jpg

Really. "You're dumb because buy too much stupid crap you don't need, but you can be less dumb if you buy our stupid card that you don't need either."

Marketing 101: NEVER insult your customers.

Their customers are indignant, smug, a55holes that think they are of supernatural intelligence. Their customers, or potential customers wouldn't be offended by this message because they are already sure it isn't talking about anything they would do. Even if it does, they aren't aware... Kind of like what the cop says at the beginning of the Walking Dead, "she bitches about global warming all day, and can't ever turn a light off in the house."

Smart Cars. Hah!

I'll just smile to myself, as I blow by them in my 15 mpg, loud, politically incorrect, knuckle-dragging, petol-guzzling dinosaur, and let them get a whiff of my 110-octane-tainted exhaust as I floor it and think: kiss. my. entire. a$$.

But I don't wish to stay in the dark-ages forever. Eventually, I'd like to get a 5-speed to put in 'er, to make it a 19-20 mpg, loud, politically incorrect, knuckle dragging, petrol-guzzling dinosaur...

History Ch. to air American ver of Top Gear, beginning Nov 21...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/judging-an-american-top-gear-by-its-trailer/

I dunno; can this cast recreate the chemistry and offbeat humor of the original show's hosts? (Probably not)

and more: (it's from wikipedia, so it must be true <_< )

"In 2005 Discovery Channel made a pilot for an American version of the show featuring actor and IHRA driver Bruno Massel as one of the hosts, but it was not picked up by the network. A short time later Discovery Channel began airing a slightly "Americanized" version of the British Top Gear show with presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. This show featured clips of features and challenges from Series 1-5 from the BBC Two show with introduction segments recorded by Clarkson, Hammond and May at the Dunsfold Aerodrome studio especially for the US audience. Regular features like "The News" and "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" were not shown on the Discovery Channel version. The show was not a ratings success and was soon taken off the air.[citation needed]

In April 2007, the BBC was still looking to export an American produced version of Top Gear to the United States.[4] NBC announced, in January 2008, that it had ordered a pilot for an American version of the show, retitled Sixth Gear.[5] BBC Worldwide has been contracted to produce the pilot for NBC.[6] According to NBC reality chief Craig Plestis, many automakers have already shown interest in America's version of Top Gear.[7]

On June 16, 2008, NBC and BBC officially announced an American version of Top Gear, to be hosted by Adam Carolla, Tanner Foust and Eric Stromer.[8][9] The studio segments for the pilot were taped on July 26, 2008 to generally favorable reviews citing close following of the UK version's format.[10] NBC was expected to have Top Gear premiere as a mid-season replacement in 2009.[11]

On December 11, 2008, NBC reversed its decision to place the show as a mid-season replacement, citing concerns about the potential success of a car-themed show in light of the failure of Knight Rider. NBC allowed the BBC to shop it around to cable networks to possibly pick it up.[12] In February 2009 Jeremy Clarkson stated that the American version had been "canned", claiming that focus groups "... just don't understand a single word we're on about. They just don't get it really."[13]

Jay Leno, who originally turned down offers to host the show, expressed concern over whether or not a show like Top Gear could be successful in America.[14][15] In a column published by The Sunday Times, Leno expresses concern that an American version could lack the critical reviews the British version is known for.[16] The British show is produced for the BBC with public funds while the American show will air on commercial television. Leno believes that the show may have to worry about offending current and potential sponsors by giving their products poor reviews, leading to a compromise in the journalistic integrity and freedom of the original show.

On August 6, 2010, the first Top Gear trailer was published on the web, giving fans a preview on what to expect on the upcoming episodes to be broadcast on the History Channel. In this trailer, new hosts Adam Ferrara, Tanner Foust, and Rutledge Wood are seen participating in a Moonshine Challenge and Tanner Foust also takes a Dodge Viper for a test drive.[17]"

I'd have to agree with Leno's concerns; they're valid enough. Besides, I think I'm predispositioned to prefer Clarkson et al's cheeky British wit and lingo regarding all things automotive.

Edited by reddsun1

Personally, I think the question is whether the fans and History Channel are willing to give the show a chance to be successful. The first seasons of Top Gear UK was pretty crappy but over time, it developed and became a fantastic show.

I'm hoping the US version becomes a hit. We need a show like this in the US. Even if it isn't as good as the British version, it'd still likely be better than most of the crap on TV these days.

Edited by Vifam7

Honestly, I think it's the hosts, not the cars, that make the show great. Thus, American Top Gear=Fail.

I don't understand why we need an "american" version. Top Gear isn't in French or anything. We can all understand what they are saying.. Any yes, its the hosts. Look at the douche from Motor Trend that does the vignettes. That guy sucks, I wouldn't watch a show with him for anything.

I don't understand why we need an "american" version. Top Gear isn't in French or anything.

Because car culture and history in the U.S. is different from that in Britain. I'm sorry, but being American, sometimes I really don't connect with some of the British cars and topics they cover.

Because car culture and history in the U.S. is different from that in Britain. I'm sorry, but being American, sometimes I really don't connect with some of the British cars and topics they cover.

Wow, I must be British. I like everything they say, but there are some (most) american cars I don't connect with.

Wow, I must be British. I like everything they say, but there are some (most) american cars I don't connect with.

If you know more about the Morris Marina and Austin Princess than you do about the Ford Pinto and Chevrolet Vega, you are indeed British. :D

Honestly, I think it's the hosts, not the cars, that make the show great. Thus, American Top Gear=Fail.

Indeed. It would be a question of whether the hosts could build the same sort of chemistry and play off of each other successfully the way Clarkson, Hammond and May do. And they'd have to get up to speed rather quickly (hah!), since so many American shows only get a make-it-or-break-it period of about 1 season--if that.

Personally, I think the question is whether the fans and History Channel are willing to give the show a chance to be successful. The first seasons of Top Gear UK was pretty crappy but over time, it developed and became a fantastic show.

I'm hoping the US version becomes a hit. We need a show like this in the US. Even if it isn't as good as the British version, it'd still likely be better than most of the crap on TV these days.

Ah, so you're in essence hoping for a show that will give American viewers something that'll be intelligent, witty, insightful, funny and zany when it wants to be, uncompromising and honest when it should be.....nope--it wouldn't stand a chance in hell. :p

Oh noes! He's become a follower of the Prince of Darkness--Lucas Electrics! :p

LOL, I traded my lotus in for a Range Rover. Giving the RR to my Dad, and taking his Chevy Tahoe to Chicago.

I do like almost all british cars.

Lotus - Most fun cars ever

Rover - Most beautiful SUVs

Aston Martin - The best muscle car of the 70s, the most beautiful coupe today

Jaguar - "must come with a free bowl of soup... Looks good on YOU though"

If you know more about the Morris Marina and Austin Princess than you do about the Ford Pinto and Chevrolet Vega, you are indeed British. :D

Its about even.

Aston Martin - The best muscle car of the 70s, the most beautiful coupe today

hear, hear!

Aston-Martin-DBS-V12_7.jpg

Mmmm, sexy. Now, if only one could get the HP--and torque--of say, an AMG 5.5 or 6.0 biturbo, and shoehorn it into that gorgeous chassis. Heaven and hooning, all in one package. :p

As for best of the '70s? Now that one's debatable.

1976-Ford-Falcon-XB-Coupe-01-690x460.jpg

I just love the birds of prey.

hear, hear!

Mmmm, sexy. Now, if only one could get the HP--and torque--of say, an AMG 5.5 or 6.0 biturbo, and shoehorn it into that gorgeous chassis. Heaven and hooning, all in one package. :p

As for best of the '70s? Now that one's debatable.

I just love the birds of prey.

DSC_4090_flip_tail_cosmetic_vantage.jpg

I know what you are saying, I just don't think AM gets the deserved respect in this department.

I am a HUGE fan of Top Gear. I love it. IMHO--Top Gear America will fail--but hey, I'll give it a shot...

Anyway, speaking of sports cars--wanted to share this with u guys...Just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Got a great deal from a great guy outside of Houston-- 2007 Z06, fully loaded, original owner, 12K miles, garage kept. Weekend driver only....I LOVE this thing! :lol:

post-11393-128975308703_thumb.jpg

post-11393-128975309984_thumb.jpg

post-11393-12897531099_thumb.jpg

post-11393-12897531282_thumb.jpg

post-11393-128975313519_thumb.jpg

post-11393-128975315703_thumb.jpg

post-11393-1289753164_thumb.jpg

post-11393-128975317556_thumb.jpg

A South African tuning company takes the Holden Ute and supercharges the 6 liter V8 to 535 bhp and 590 lb-ft torque. The result is a staggering 0-60 acceleration of 4.5 seconds, a 1/4 mile acceleration of 12.7 seconds @ 113 mph and a top speed of 175 mph. Too bad we'll never see this hit stateside as the Chevrolet El Camino...

2011-LupiniPower-Chevrolet-SuperUte-Front-Angle-2-1920x1440.jpg

2011-LupiniPower-Chevrolet-SuperUte-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2011 LupiniPower Chevrolet Super Ute

I know most of this thread is talking about "stuff few of us will ever even touch, much less own" but I'd like to see people's general opinions on the current state of "normal" cars. I'll start with this:

Chrysler's 2011 lineup looks much improved. Across the board gains in HP, new standard V6, MUCH better interiors in many. New transmissions coming.

Ford---couple of years ago I would never have considered one, honestly. Possibly the most-improved US company. I give full credit to Mulally--note that Boeing sure went to hell after he left.

GM---2 steps back for every 1 forward. For every "new GM" improvement, I see "old GM" ruining great ideas. I'd be surprised if they're even on my list for my next car. (and really, the only thing it could possibly be would be a Holden Commodore brought over again--Australia's team seems a bit more insulated from the stupidity at GM HQ) If they killed Pontiac to save Buick, I expected much better Buicks. The new Regal GS isn't half the car the concept was, which is not a good thing for a halo car intended to reinvent the brand.

For a brief moment I convinced myself my next car would be American. Recently, with the dollar tanking in value, it seems like American cars ought to become a lot more competitive. Unfortunately, I just can't find an American car I really want. MOPAR is dead to me... every time I've been in one recently its felt like a cheap and bloated automobile. If I wanted a cheap commuter I'd look long and hard at Fords offerings. The only Chevy I'd want to test drive is the Volt and that's out of curiosity more than anything else. I think the only American car I'd really consider is a Cadillac CTS and I'm kinda "meh" on it. The CTS-V sounds nice though but I'm trying to keep myself away from gratuitous power. It's been a while since I looked at a Lincoln but I hear they're being revamped and have a ton of nice features but still dressed down in ultra conservative garb. Really though, I think a lot of manufacturers are heading in the right direction and I hope my current car lasts another three years as I suspect my choices are going to get better.