The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

At the AAA Texas 500, a car race broke out.

"He didn't bump you, he didn't tap you. He rubbed you. And rubbin', son, is racin'." - Days of Thunder (1990)

That was a real stand-up thing for Burton to do/say afterwards. I imagine J. Gordon will feel a bit like a heel if/when he ever reviews the tapes later.

For a brief moment I convinced myself my next car would be American. Recently, with the dollar tanking in value, it seems like American cars ought to become a lot more competitive. Unfortunately, I just can't find an American car I really want. MOPAR is dead to me... every time I've been in one recently its felt like a cheap and bloated automobile. If I wanted a cheap commuter I'd look long and hard at Fords offerings. The only Chevy I'd want to test drive is the Volt and that's out of curiosity more than anything else. I think the only American car I'd really consider is a Cadillac CTS and I'm kinda "meh" on it. The CTS-V sounds nice though but I'm trying to keep myself away from gratuitous power. It's been a while since I looked at a Lincoln but I hear they're being revamped and have a ton of nice features but still dressed down in ultra conservative garb. Really though, I think a lot of manufacturers are heading in the right direction and I hope my current car lasts another three years as I suspect my choices are going to get better.

Definitely following you on that, Dodge/Chrysler is dead, GM only makes a good car if it has an LS motor in it and Ford is the only true American car company showing any promise. On that note, the new F-150 finally retired the Triton V8 and moved onto all modern motors, one "ecoboost" direct injected turbo motor, the new 5.0L V8, and a more traditional 6.2L V8. Ford is also bringing the Euro style focus stateside (not sure if we'll get an RS model with the turbo motor yet), and is really strengthening their core lineup. As far as their work on Lincoln, I would give them another 5 years to get that brand together, hot off of the heels of axing Mercury, they can now really buckle down and focus on making real luxury cars with that brand. I always tell anyone interested in buying American, go buy a Ford, I've always tried to be as unbiased as i can when possible, but Ford has really stepped their game up in the past decade.

For 2012, the Nissan GT-R will undergo a few changes. The 3.8 liter VR38DETT twin-turbo V6 has been upgraded to generate 530 bhp (up from 485 bhp) and 488 lb-ft torque (up from 434 lb-ft). The front and rear ends have been redesigned, resulting in an improved drag coefficient of 0.26 cd (down from 0.27 cd). New colors have also been announced, including Deep Blue Pearl.

Prices for the new GT-R will start at US$89,950.

2012-Nissan-GTR-Studio-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Nissan-GTR-Studio-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Nissan-GTR-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Nissan-GTR-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Nissan-GTR-Gauges-1920x1440.jpg

2012-Nissan-GTR-Center-Stack-2-1920x1440.jpg

2012 Nissan GT-R

Dear Nissan,

Your performance cars deliver amazing performance at half the price of cars that perform equally (Both the GTR and 370). You should really hire others to handle the aesthetics however. Your cars are unattractive, and borderline annoying to look at, which is why until you fix this problem, I won't be buying one.

Thank you,

A1

Dear Nissan,

Your performance cars deliver amazing performance at half the price of cars that perform equally (Both the GTR and 370). You should really hire others to handle the aesthetics however. Your cars are unattractive, and borderline annoying to look at, which is why until you fix this problem, I won't be buying one.

Thank you,

A1

It's all Carlos Ghosn's fault. After Renault bought a majority of Nissan, their design teams took over. At least the GT-R isn't as hideous as the Juke. (Click at your own risk!)

It's all Carlos Ghosn's fault. After Renault bought a majority of Nissan, their design teams took over. At least the GT-R isn't as hideous as the Juke. (Click at your own risk!)

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

OMG WTF!!! :blink:

As bad as the pontiac aztek

I think the GT-R looks good. At least it's not trying to ripoff the looks of a European sportscar.

On a separate note, Top Gear USA just aired. Saw it. The studio portion needs more work. The Lamborghini piece was excellent. For a first episode, I thought the hosts had good chemistry.

Classic Recreations' latest version of their Shelby GT500CR mixes the classic Mustang body with current car technology. Under the hood is a 7 liter fuel-injected V8 that generates 545 bhp. Other modern upgrades include larger disc brakes, lightweight 17" alloy wheels and a rack-and-pinion steering mechanism. No base price has been announced yet, but options include leather interior (US$1,000), flip-out screen with DVD player (US$1,000), GPS (US$499) and right-hand-drive conversion (US$12,500).

2011-Classic-Recreations-Shelby-GT500CR-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Classic-Recreations-Shelby-GT500CR-Rear-And-Side-3-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Classic-Recreations-Shelby-GT500CR-Engine-1-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Classic-Recreations-Shelby-GT500CR-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Classic-Recreations-Shelby-GT500CR-Emblem-2-1920x1440.jpg

2011 Classic Recreations Shelby GT500CR

I watched US Top Gear today and I was puzzled by them having the Attack Helicopter chase a Sports Car and it was deja vu this is the main thing I hate about importing shows they tend to just reproduce stuff Scene for scene from the original and I'm not sure this bodes well for Top Gear US.

Top Gear UK already did Attack Helicopter VS Sports Car so unless all version of Top Gear does the Sports Car VS Helicopter this is just repetition.

Isn't their a German and Australian Version of Top Gear?

I was watching Law & order UK and they adhered so much to the Scripts they gave the producers in the UK and the plot's in them I was kind of turned off by the new show though I know it only had one Season/Series.

miles316, you could try reading your sentences first before posting them so that others can understand what you're talking about.

I was talking about Top Gear US and how the Repetition from the UK version with the Attack Helicopter was not endearing to me and than I asked a Question about other versions of Top Gear German and Australian did they do a Sports Car VS Attack Helicopter.

I talked about Law & Order UK and how they fallowed the scripts they were given during the development L&O UK as a example of how when a show is brought to another country they do not show any originality or flexibility in their writing.

Maybe they could have had a drag race between the Dodge Viper and a P-51 Mustang like how they had the Worlds fastest super car? VS the Typhoon fighter.

(I thought it was the Begoty Veron SP?)

Classic Recreations' latest version of their Shelby GT500CR mixes the classic Mustang body with current car technology. Under the hood is a 7 liter fuel-injected V8 that generates 545 bhp. Other modern upgrades include larger disc brakes, lightweight 17" alloy wheels and a rack-and-pinion steering mechanism. No base price has been announced yet, but options include leather interior (US$1,000), flip-out screen with DVD player (US$1,000), GPS (US$499) and right-hand-drive conversion (US$12,500).

I like the lines of the "originals" [hah! even though there's nothing original about this car--oh, the irony] somewhat better than the newer cars. It's like young and trim Elvis vs old and fat Elvis. But admittedly, the Eleanor body kit is becoming a bit of an automotive cliche--it's getting so there are so many, in varying colors and configurations.

I do like the '04-'09 body style, better than the latest facelift. If I could have my pick of a new musclecar, I think I'd go with the blue oval. Challenger's just too big and heavy (but here's hoping Ralph Gilles can help keep Chrysler's performance image on the upswing). GM's [new] cars are sh*t.

ed: damn, I love those "cobra" style wheels. want some of those for my own car...

Edited by reddsun1

Can't think of a more fitting insult than this:

The bums that designed that f'ugly bas***d--and anyone who buys one--ought to have to hear something like that.

Looks like there is actually hope for the Lancia brand.

Ach! I don't sprikenze deutch! :p

Very cool though. Always kinda liked the Stratos. Ironically, though, from the readup at the link it seems this car has nothing to do with Lancia. It appears to be a one-off custom by Pininfarina; much like the Ferrari P4/5 built for James Glickenhaus?

If I could have my pick of a new musclecar, I think I'd go with the blue oval. Challenger's just too big and heavy (but here's hoping Ralph Gilles can help keep Chrysler's performance image on the upswing). GM's [new] cars are sh*t.

Copy that. An '11 GT 5.0 in Grabber blue would do us just right...

Ah yes, the Gran Turismo series. Hundreds and hundreds of some of the most beautifully modelled, often redundant, mundane, uninspiring, sh*tty little cars that anyone in the world wouldn't dream of driving in real life, much less in a game. <_<

ed: the utter disappointment and ripped-off feeling I got from the bug-ridden debacle that was Gran Turismo 2 is what made me swear off console gaming to this very day...

Edited by reddsun1

I enjoyed one enough to enjoy GT2 but I found GT4 pretty boring and I hear GT5 has even less of an excitement factor. The old car enthusiast in me would probably love the tweaking but I'm sure I wouldn't play the game enough to warrant a purchase.

Do cars with automatic transmissions take longer to slow down than cars with manual transmissions when you take your foot off of the gas? I ask because I see a lot of drivers hitting their brakes when they see the cars behind them slowing down, when I usually just take my foot off of the gas and hardly ever touch the brakes.

It's been so long since I've driven a car with an automatic transmission that I can't even remember!

Yes, cars with auto transmissions are very slow to downshift and they seem to engage the clutch to coast longer. I can't swear to that last part but my autos have kept their speed much more than my manuals (but I've obviously never had an auto and a manual of the same car).