The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

I love angles, just not boxes. I prefer triangles :p

Triangles are cool, but pentagrams are cooler. \m/

I spent part of the day browsing online for used Dodge Ram vans. Been in the market for something with cargo space and people-mover abilities. Would be nice to have something different than the ubiquitous SUV.

Underground Racing has a new vehicle to work on. Ferrari 458.

http://www.undergroundracing.com/car-gallery/ferrari/195-ferrari-458-twin-turbo.html

They make some nice twin turbo Gallardos. So for anyone that wins the lottery, that is one thing you can pick up.

F458.bmp

Edited by rifleguy

Underground Racing has a new vehicle to work on. Ferrari 458.

http://www.undergroundracing.com/car-gallery/ferrari/195-ferrari-458-twin-turbo.html

They make some nice twin turbo Gallardos. So for anyone that wins the lottery, that is one thing you can pick up.

will it cost extra for them to put the bumper back on? :p

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that episode. I think Paul Newman rubbed off a bit on Cruise when they worked together back in the day, and Cruise tried his hand at hotshoeing for a while? There's some pics of him dudded up in full racing gear from back in the 80's in the bar at the Glen Motor Inn, up in Watkins Glen. Maybe the Scientologists got him to give those sorts of hazardous passtimes up to ensure a long movie career or something? :huh:

General automotive question.

Given the plethora of aftermarket intake filter mods ranging from drop-in filters to open pods with metal mesh or paper or those HKS 'mushrooms', what kind of filters (if at all) do race cars use? e.g. on The WRC cars, do they use the stock intake box, a modified box but still a 'box' like thingy or open pods? F1 cars?

General automotive question.

Given the plethora of aftermarket intake filter mods ranging from drop-in filters to open pods with metal mesh or paper or those HKS 'mushrooms', what kind of filters (if at all) do race cars use? e.g. on The WRC cars, do they use the stock intake box, a modified box but still a 'box' like thingy or open pods? F1 cars?

Not sure about newer cars, but a lot of race cars I saw/worked with up close usually ran no filter at all (but that was mostly vintage stuff).

canam1.jpg

OR, if a filter was used, it was usually a simple foam type...

airforce.jpg

IIRC, modern race engines tend to have little to no filtration, because the engines aren't expected to last very long, and/or get torn down often which will allow you to clean everything out and polish parts back to spec etc.

"Civillian" cars are intended to last for years, and hopefully never be totally torn down piece-by-piece. So they require much more filtration.

Hmm, thinking of the WRC cars which run pretty long races and in real dusty conditions. What would they use?

Hmm, makes sense. I imagine most of those would run some kind of air cleaner? I know relatively little about turbocharging on small displacement engines--but a random sampling of images of WRC cars shows most either have an airbox or some sort of filter. I take it they want the cleanest possible air charge going into the engine + turbo, considering the additional complexity/parts of such a system? That, plus what you said about all the dust, etc... ^_^

electric indigo's "Rubber" thread got me to thinking about favorite cars from the movies again. Can't believe I almost forgot about Christine. I can't think of any other movie car that can inspire at once so much admiration AND fear from just about anybody who sees one (and knows that movie). Let's face it: the '57 Fury is an awesome car (if you like the big-fin era), but I'd be just a little bit scared to drive it, if I owned a movie replica.

this is still one of my all time favorite car-movie scenes...

FU*K CGI... B))

New York City is currently looking for their next taxicab to replace the Ford Crown Victoria. Unfortunately, you're looking at minivans taking over. Sure, the new cab will be roomy and environmentally friendly, but it will never have character like the good old Checker.

Taxi of Tomorrow

So what? Taxi's are awful, anything that can make the experience slightly less awful is fine in my book.

I don't want to watch that video because I'll gnaw my fingers off with bitter jealousy. I LOVE that car...

In today's automotive world, supercars are loaded with high-tech gizmos such as sequential paddle shifters, computer-controlled brakes and electronic stability control. In the 2011 Noble M600, you'll find none of those. Instead, you get a car that weighs 2,756 lbs. and is powered by a 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 that generates 650 bhp and 604 lb-ft torque. Estimated top speed is 225 mph.

2011-Noble-M600-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Noble-M600-Side-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Noble-M600-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Noble-M600-Rear-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Noble-M600-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2011-Noble-M600-Interior-1920x1440.jpg

2011 Noble M600

In today's automotive world, supercars are loaded with high-tech gizmos such as sequential paddle shifters, computer-controlled brakes and electronic stability control. In the 2011 Noble M600, you'll find none of those. Instead, you get a car that weighs 2,756 lbs. and is powered by a 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 that generates 650 bhp and 604 lb-ft torque. Estimated top speed is 225 mph.

I totally agree!!! And as Agent ONE said that car is badass!!!