Are there any cheaper alternatives for stands?

wwkkim

Show your valks love, buy flexi stands! Also i'd get 1 of each lengths, as if your posing valks together different levels allow cooler displays.

I would if it werent so hard to find one here in Asia(online stores). HLJ does not stock them anymore. Perhaps some of you fellas know a place?

I actually found a neat way too pose a 1/60 VF-1 in Gerwalk using the bandai stands, and it doesn't compormise jack in doing so.

You take the middle size insert and you turn the piece so the sides are facing forward. Then you angle it about 70 degrees or so and insert it where the T Bar meets the underbody if that makes sense.

The stand will hold it with all the fast pack armor included in just about any angle as long as it's not downward and it looks great.

If I can maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Since the flexistands are brought up in the discussion, I have an issue I'd like to bring up: I've recently received my flexi v2 and for the life of me, I could never get the prongs to hold up tightly enough with the supplied screws - the prongs are very floppy and won't hold my Yamato 1/60 v2 Valk at all. It seems that the supplied screws are a little too big for the screw holes and hence, they can't screw in deeply enough in order to tighten the circular plate that holds the prongs together. I've tried this many times to the point that I've totally worn out the screw caps. In the end, I had to resort to getting thinner screws - the 1-inch long 6-32 type - in order to tighten the prongs securely (which works wonderfully by the way).

With that, have any of you flexi display stand owners out there experienced this before (v1 and v2)? Or is my case simply an isolated one?

Since the flexistands are brought up in the discussion, I have an issue I'd like to bring up: I've recently received my flexi v2 and for the life of me, I could never get the prongs to hold up tightly enough with the supplied screws - the prongs are very floppy and won't hold my Yamato 1/60 v2 Valk at all. It seems that the supplied screws are a little too big for the screw holes and hence, they can't screw in deeply enough in order to tighten the circular plate that holds the prongs together. I've tried this many times to the point that I've totally worn out the screw caps. In the end, I had to resort to getting thinner screws - the 1-inch long 6-32 type - in order to tighten the prongs securely (which works wonderfully by the way).

With that, have any of you flexi display stand owners out there experienced this before (v1 and v2)? Or is my case simply an isolated one?

Looks like my issues with the flexidisplay v2 are confirmed by Carlos himself, judging from his email:

1.12.09 - FlexiDisplay Announcement

It has come to our attention that the screws packaged in with the new FlexiDisplay v2 stands are not the correct size. We are not sure if this manufacturing error was made in a few cases or if it affects the whole shipment. For now we are suspending all FlexiDisplay orders. If you order is in 'Processing' status, we will ship the order out at the end of the week with replacement screws. If your order has already been shipped we will ship out replacement screws as soon as possible. If you have already received your order we advise that you wait for replacement screws to arrive before assembling the stand(s) to prevent permanent damage to the base and/or cover plate. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Carlos

Edited by todd77

Looks like my issues with the flexidisplay v2 is confirmed by Carlos himself, judging from his email:

Sorry for the error guys! I can't believe this happened. :(

If you damaged your stand in any way please let me know at carlos@laftoys.com. We will be contacting all customers individually to let them know that replacement screws are on the way.

Sorry for the error guys! I can't believe this happened. :(

If you damaged your stand in any way please let me know at carlos@laftoys.com. We will be contacting all customers individually to let them know that replacement screws are on the way.

For what it's worth, once the prongs are firmly tightened, the stand holds up beautifully.

For what it's worth, once the prongs are firmly tightened, the stand holds up beautifully.

gaddamnit!!!!! i can't find any of those 6-32 screws! :angry:

what the hell... i just used my metal cutting saw and some more sandpaper...

3193930190_eb1ea58ec1.jpg3193295195_100271e1b6.jpg

sorry for the SOC ^_^ ... just wanted to try if it could handle some heavy metal.

Edited by m0n5t3r

gaddamnit!!!!! i can't find any of those 6-32 screws! :angry:

what the hell... i just used my metal cutting saw and some more sandpaper...

sorry for the SOC ^_^ ... just wanted to try if it could handle some heavy metal.

That's an effective alternative fix. And it looks like the stand works really well too with heavy loads.

Anyway, I used these screws. Forgot to mention that they were nylon. I got them from Fry's Electronics so I assume you could find them from electronic or computer hardware stores:

post-5445-1231887094_thumb.jpg

post-5445-1231887105_thumb.jpg

And here's my contribution to the thread:

post-5445-1231887114_thumb.jpg

That's an effective alternative fix. And it looks like the stand works really well too with heavy loads.

Anyway, I used these screws. Forgot to mention that they were nylon. I got them from Fry's Electronics so I assume you could find them from electronic or computer hardware stores:

doh!?!?! :blink: nylon... guess that's why i couldn't find it in a hardware store... ^_^ anyway, thanks for the heads up, man.

What size screws are those?

If you mean their measurements, the screw cap is about 7mm in diameter and the screw tip about 3mm. The length of the screw is 1 inch. The label has a name for the screw though - it's called the 1-inch 6-32 (6-32x1). There are other variants which differ in length including a 1/2-inch 6-32. They also differ in terms of the shape of the screw cap - mine is the flatslot whereas another one has a semi-spherical cap.

Edited by todd77

• 2 weeks later...

i did buy the bandai action base

is a excelent option, i have right now a master piece and a two yamato v1 in this base, with out any problem i get the 3 for 27 dollars shipping included, maybe a half or less of the yamato expensive base cost

thanks for this post, i know some alternatives for the yamato stands

I meant to upload these in early december when they were taken. I had some spare time and I was still waiting for the flexidisplay V2s to release and get shipped to me XD. I went and made my own with spare materials around the house. The one good thing about them though is that the arm lengths are easily adjustable... Cause they're really just the chopsticks you get from takeout. Lol

post-9474-1233182843_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1233182861_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1233182946_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1233182955_thumb.jpg

Actually... The base is a synthetic hardwood floor panel. The Home Depot and other renovation stores practically give these things out as samples (for color/pattern matching. Its a small panel at least 6 inches long, and serves as a very steady base, even if the model's center of gravity is off center. The triangular piece that grips down from the top is taken from the same panel. It has a circular slot cut into it to wrap around the surface of the ball joint. The ball joint was taken from a cheap foot massage roller (like the one here http://www.blackpearlbotanicals.com/produc...massagers2.jpg). I cut out a socket for the joint in the base as well as the top triangular piece, and screwed it together.

Works pretty much exactly the same way as a flexidisplay, except with just 1 screw.

They shipped the flexis with the wrong screws I believe. I've been waiting for my stands forever from Lost and Founds Toys because they where waiting for replacement screws to arrive. They tell me that they will finally ship next week! I can't wait!

Amazing! I gotta make me some of those. What did you use for the arms?

I used this tripod for digital cameras:

30218337.jpg

Now I'm thinking to make another one using a different tripod like this one:

00004009abb.jpg

Edited by valar

isnt that more expensive to buy? The Bandai stands are so cheap.

With shipment's costs Bandai stands aren't so cheap for me...

To make this stand I spent 4,90 euros but I have found the same camera tripod in Ebay for 1,99 Euros shipped to Italy from China.

The base is made with 2 trasparent CDs that you can find in every spin box, I have probably a dozen of trasparent CDs.

The last tripot I mentioned it could be find in Ebay for about 3 euros shipped...

I don't think it's possible to find cheaper stand... :p