What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

Ok, but what was the flying f^ck that I just watched :wacko: ?

My mind is getting mental breakdown...

Check out the original manga. Available translated from ADV Manga as "Apocalypse Meow". It's an excellent Vietnam War manga. The fact that the author decided to use animals instead of humans is a stroke of pure genius (IMHO).

The new animated series is based on the sequel manga series "Cat Sh1t One '80" which takes place in Afghanistan.

Edited by Vifam7

Check out the original manga. Available translated from ADV Manga as "Apocalypse Meow". It's an excellent Vietnam War manga. The fact that the author decided to use animals instead of humans is a stroke of pure genius (IMHO).

The new animated series is based on the sequel manga series "Cat Sh1t One '80" which takes place in Afghanistan.

Not a stroke of genius. A rip off of MAUS, which used mice for the Jews and cats for the Nazis during WWII.

Not a stroke of genius. A rip off of MAUS, which used mice for the Jews and cats for the Nazis during WWII.

Alright, so the idea's not original. Still, the element works and it's a darn good manga (in terms of enjoyment, not historical accuracy).

Edited by Vifam7

Well, to be fair, anthropomorphism is a time honored storytelling device. Aesop's fables did it and more recently Orwell used the conceit with Animal Farm nearly 40 years before Maus and had the idea of different types of animals as analogs for different political parties and/or social classes.

Well, to be fair, anthropomorphism is a time honored storytelling device. Aesop's fables did it and more recently Orwell used the conceit with Animal Farm nearly 40 years before Maus and had the idea of different types of animals as analogs for different political parties and/or social classes.

Very true.

I just feel it is more direct here as we are talking about a manga about the Vietname War ripping off a graphic novel/comic book about World War II.

Edit:

To be fair, "Apocalypse Meow" may be a truly excellent manga. I don't know. I haven't read it. Just saying that the idea there isn't all that original.

Edited by RavenHawk

Very true.

I just feel it is more direct here as we are talking about a manga about the Vietname War ripping off a graphic novel/comic book about World War II.

Edit:

To be fair, "Apocalypse Meow" may be a truly excellent manga. I don't know. I haven't read it. Just saying that the idea there isn't all that original.

I get what you're saying. Personally, I don't care if an idea or even a story is recycled or retold as long as it's done well. There's one thing I've learned from my time reading old ass stories and that is there really is nothing new under the sun.

I get what you're saying. Personally, I don't care if an idea or even a story is recycled or retold as long as it's done well. There's one thing I've learned from my time reading old ass stories and that is there really is nothing new under the sun.

Well, except for Gilgamesh... maybe...

Well, except for Gilgamesh... maybe...

errr, "noah's ark" which the modern equivalent would be the myriad "progenitor" stories including our own very popular Protoculture. :p

Edited by eugimon

errr, "noah's ark" which the modern equivalent would be the myriad "progenitor" stories including our own very popular Protoculture. :p

Yes, but all of the world's flood stories seem interrelated, with Gilgamesh appearing to be the oldest, thus may be the closest to an "original" story that we know of.

Yes, but all of the world's flood stories seem interrelated, with Gilgamesh appearing to be the oldest, thus may be the closest to an "original" story that we know of.

oh, you were going in that direction. Actually it's commonly believed that Gilgamesh was based on older sumerian legends/stories. Given how prone to the rivers in that area were prone to cycles of flooding and rebuilding the basic story of game ending floods probably stretch back all the way to the beginning of civilization.

Some archeologists actually think that the legend as well as the proto-europeans, the aryans, the proto-russians, and the people in the mediterranean all originated from a civilization in the (then) black sea valley and that when the mediterranean sea flooded that valley that people group spread out (which is their explanation for why those areas all developed writing and irrigation around the same time and have similar legends/myths). The book: Noah's Flood by William Ryan and Walter Pitman describes this theory.

oh, you were going in that direction. Actually it's commonly believed that Gilgamesh was based on older sumerian legends/stories. Given how prone to the rivers in that area were prone to cycles of flooding and rebuilding the basic story of game ending floods probably stretch back all the way to the beginning of civilization.

Some archeologists actually think that the legend as well as the proto-europeans, the aryans, the proto-russians, and the people in the mediterranean all originated from a civilization in the (then) black sea valley and that when the mediterranean sea flooded that valley that people group spread out (which is their explanation for why those areas all developed writing and irrigation around the same time and have similar legends/myths). The book: Noah's Flood by William Ryan and Walter Pitman describes this theory.

All true.

Of course, if we want to make this conversation REALLY entertaining, we can start bringing in some Graham Hancock (Fingerprints of the Gods) theories...

All true.

Of course, if we want to make this conversation REALLY entertaining, we can start bringing in some Graham Hancock (Fingerprints of the Gods) theories...

Hmmm, never read the book but I have heard the basic theory laid out before... and I thought it was interesting but rather loose in the interpretation of evidence.

But anyhows... back on topic....

finally got around to watching all of samurai champloo in a marathon watching. I loved the mashup nature of it and its sense of humor.

Triple bomba! :)

I think I'm gonna watch Gurren Lagann again. As I get older, it is fast becoming my favorite anime series of all time. Still need to finally watch Getter Robo though... and Combattler V and all that...

so much stuff to watch!

Pete

Triple bomba! :)

I think I'm gonna watch Gurren Lagann again. As I get older, it is fast becoming my favorite anime series of all time. Still need to finally watch Getter Robo though... and Combattler V and all that...

so much stuff to watch!

Pete

Now as much as you're enjoying Gurren Lagann, have you already seen Gunbuster?

More madness around Haruhi Suzumiya. The socalled rerun will be followed by the second season which is technically now an extension of the first season, as confirmed by several Japanese Tv stations.

The amount of hype and trolling around this series is mental and no one dares to say if the second season is really coming this time. Only time will tell.

I gust finished watching Titania on line. I thought it was a interesting series with space combat, despotic empires callously victimizing planets, and some Oceans Eleven style capers.

Though they ended the series after

killing one of the four dukes, and they cotinuing the war ageinst titania.

More madness around Haruhi Suzumiya. The socalled rerun will be followed by the second season which is technically now an extension of the first season, as confirmed by several Japanese Tv stations.

The amount of hype and trolling around this series is mental and no one dares to say if the second season is really coming this time. Only time will tell.

They're such teases

Right now I'm currently re-watching all of Macross, beginning to end, with a friend of mine who'd never seen any of it before. I've watched SDFM, DYRL, Flashback 2012, and Macross Plus. At the moment I'm about 20 or so episodes in to Macross 7.

One thing I've noticed about M7 is that the animation is better than I remembered it being. Ja, there's lots of still frames with only the mouth moving, and the reused battle footage (with the exception of Battle 7's great transformation footage), but other than that it's well drawn and decently fluid. It's certainly not fantastic animation, but it's better than a lot of people let on. I suspect if they had made better footage for the recycled bits then the animation would be remembered more fondly.

After that, we'll be on to Dynamite 7, The 20th Anniversary Special, Macross Zero, and then Frontier. Heh, I'm wondering if we'll be finished before the Frontier movie comes out. Still, we're going through everything at about 4-8 episodes a night, four nights a week.

On my own, I just wrapped up Tytania. It's odd though, the series, since the beginning and right up to this last episode, has constantly felt like it's on the verge of something. I can't help but feel that the entire series so far basically amounts to prologue, and hope they continue on with another season. From what I understand, the book series isn't finished yet. I hope that doesn't become an issue down the road.

Right now I'm currently re-watching all of Macross, beginning to end, with a friend of mine who'd never seen any of it before. I've watched SDFM, DYRL, Flashback 2012, and Macross Plus. At the moment I'm about 20 or so episodes in to Macross 7.

One thing I've noticed about M7 is that the animation is better than I remembered it being. Ja, there's lots of still frames with only the mouth moving, and the reused battle footage (with the exception of Battle 7's great transformation footage), but other than that it's well drawn and decently fluid. It's certainly not fantastic animation, but it's better than a lot of people let on. I suspect if they had made better footage for the recycled bits then the animation would be remembered more fondly.

After that, we'll be on to Dynamite 7, The 20th Anniversary Special, Macross Zero, and then Frontier. Heh, I'm wondering if we'll be finished before the Frontier movie comes out. Still, we're going through everything at about 4-8 episodes a night, four nights a week.

Hmmm...I did it in about six or seven weeks, but that was two episodes (or a movie) a night, every night.

I take it your friend is enjoying the ride...?

On my own, I just wrapped up Tytania. It's odd though, the series, since the beginning and right up to this last episode, has constantly felt like it's on the verge of something. I can't help but feel that the entire series so far basically amounts to prologue, and hope they continue on with another season. From what I understand, the book series isn't finished yet. I hope that doesn't become an issue down the road.

Isn't finished yet is right...the third book came out (IIRC) in the early '90s.

Something tells me "abandoned" a better word for the novels.

But who knows? Maybe he'll finish the series because of the show.

K-ON, the next project by Kyoto Animation! (at least until they get off their butts to do the next Haruhi anime)

School-life comedy anime about a buncha girls who form a band in school. Same vein as Manabi Straight. I'm now a Mio fanboi. :3

Sengoku Basara looks pretty decent, wish they make the fight more intimidating or even damaging though, it's like they are just jumping, flying around with fires and lightnings and stuff.

Guin Saga starts tonight. We shall see.

Just started with Casshern Sins.....from last last season. Looks interesting. Feels kinda like Megaman X with an apocalyptical bleak world.

Does anyone know if the 'new' Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood series is actually new or just an updated version of the original (which I haven't seen yet)?

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Does anyone know if the 'new' Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood series is actually new or just an updated version of the original (which I haven't seen yet)?

New or so I heard, it's more based on the manga.

Dragon Ball Kai, on other hand, is just the enhanced version.

New or so I heard, it's more based on the manga.

Dragon Ball Kai, on other hand, is just the enhanced version.

Darn I should have commented here instead of reviving an old thread. :ph34r:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...40&start=40

Anyways

@REbirth && GRAND CANNON

According to the comments in the link below..this new FMA will be a much more faithful manga adaptation supposedly. :huh:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/04/05...ments/#comments

There are some VA changes, BTW. But look on the bright side we have "Grace O' Connor" playing the role of a villain. :D

I no idea about the manga so i don't have much issue on the 1st series except that the ending of the TV series was kinda "wtf huh?"

Anyway from the trailers for the new FMA Brotherhood, i'd say the artstyle is kinda strange and Edward looks fat now. But who am i kidding, i want more Winry. :D