Macross Frontier Series Discussion Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Rating  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, How would you rate "Macross Frontier"

• 10 (Perfect)
    • 5 (Average)
    • 1 (Absolutely horrible)

Yes, I'm aware of that, although I wondered if there was a comparison of what was in both the R2 regular DVD release vs the BluRay. I guess I better go look around the forums to see if it has been done...

Both the DVD and Blu-Ray contents are the same. The Blu-Ray version, obviously, has better the resolution.

at least for Blu-Ray, IIRC japan and the USA are in the same region (1) so a BR disc bought in japan should work just fine on an american market BR player. there may not be any english subs on said disc however. I say to hell with a US release and just order it straight from the rising sun.

but blue ray sucks, the players are expensive as hell, I'm not getting a f**king PS3 just to watch movies, and not getting english subs defeats the purpose of buying the DVD for me.

I just finished watching macross frontier tonight and I have to say its probably one of my favorite animes of all time and possibly the best modern mecha anime series to be released to date. The story and the characters development seemed to flow smoothly throughout the series... It also didn't take a hairpin turn for the worst and everybody seemed to have balanced character development. I felt like I really got to know most of the characters well but there were some I didn't really care for...

Michelle was kinda pompous and wasn't very funny IMO so when he died I was'nt at all sad or shocked... as he seemed like the perfect throwaway character that got hardly any screen time...

The origin of the vajra was never really explained well at all IMO...

my guess is that they were a creation of the protoculture race and that somehow their own creation destroyed them...

Near the end of the story I could kinda see where things were headed and it was fairly predictable but I was still satisfied with all the intense action the climax had.

I guess for me to learn more about the whole series id have to do some research on wikipedia or something because I find the plot somewhat convoluted and not explained very well.

The Vajra weren't created by the Protoculture. The final episode reveals that the Protoculture were in such awe of the Vajra that they decided to actually model quite a bit of their technologies from the Vajra. To quote Grace, "All of space is in our grasp with the power that even the Protoculture feared, adored, defied, to the extent of imitating its form. The super-dimensional life form, Vajra!".

Near the end of the story I could kinda see where things were headed and it was fairly predictable but I was still satisfied with all the intense action the climax had.

IMO, that's one of the good things about the series, everything is well foreshadowed and the series in general follows the law of conservation of detail, meaning whenever a "Chekov's gun" is shown it is "fired."

I guess for me to learn more about the whole series id have to do some research on wikipedia or something because I find the plot somewhat convoluted and not explained very well.

Grace was doing research alongside Dr. Mao Nome and Ranshe Mei. Grace has some idea to unify humanity in thought using implants and fold quartz. Mao and Ranshe disagree, meanwhile Ranka accidentally calls the Vajra (due to her mom having the V-type infection, passing the bacteria onto Ranka, but not in a lethal manner) and the Vajra, in confusion destroy the fleet. Grace cooks up some plan for revenge as she burns. Some time later, she finds Sheryl, who is now an orphan who has also has the V-type infection (whether or not these are Grace's doing is never explained). Grace, builds her up to be the idol that she becomes possibly hoping that she can replicate the effect that Ranka has on the Vajra. The Vajra were never really the object of Grace's revenge, but rather Ranshe and Mao - by achieving her goal which the two opposed, she would figuratively had her revenge and ended up as the "queen bitch of the galaxy" as well.

The destroying the Vajra bit only comes from Brera's actions in episode 9 which Grace probably ordered to keep the Frontier forces from learning more about the Vajra (as she had not yet allied/duped Leon). As for trying to kill of Sheryl, her plan at that point seemed to be to instigate war between the Vajra and Frontier and while research on hacking into the Vajra network (sans Ranka) was still ongoing. Finding Ranka was simply a bonus, allowing her to proceed at an accelerated pace.

Edited by d3v

I have just watched the final episode, and voted "perfect" in this poll.

Those of you who have taken time to read my posts in particular episode threads know that I tend to go on, and on and on and on...and...umm...on...and...on...

But I'm really at a loss for words here. The series speaks for itself. I am surprised that so many people gave it a nine. Insofar as its' "predictability" is a shortcoming, that is kind of like saying that the dialectical system of Hegel which lets you see the end when you're at the beginning is a shortcoming: it's not - it just makes everything more beautiful.

The one thing I would note here is that this series pretty clearly demonstrates Kawamori's obsession with the problem of technology as opposed to nature; and the fact that the protoculture seemed to be jealous of the achievements of a species in nature and attempt to replicate what they can do through technological means is a good sign of this... but...I promised not to go on and on...

Maybe I need to take a breath or something - this series is just so full of content - there is so much to discuss; so many angles to approach...

And such a semi-NGE ending; with the "mental discussion" bits at least...

In any event - this is the best Macross series in my mind: better than any of the previous ones - but only because it draws on the strengths of all of the previous while having none of their weaknesses AND managing a unique direction all at the same time.

A marvelous achievement.

Pete

But I'm really at a loss for words here. The series speaks for itself. I am surprised that so many people gave it a nine. Insofar as its' "predictability" is a shortcoming, that is kind of like saying that the dialectical system of Hegel which lets you see the end when you're at the beginning is a shortcoming: it's not - it just makes everything more beautiful.

IMO, what some people see as predictable is simply Kawamori and co. sticking to the principle of "Chekov's gun."

so...what makes the Vajra blow up? they are essentially just big bugs, if they get stabbed they bleed, but if they get shot they blow up, small green, medium yellow and the big red lobsters... oh yes, don't forget, if you cut one of their sharp tails and throw it at them they blow up too... :huh:

any reason? or is this just the hollywood syndrome that everything that gets turn over or shot HAS to blow up?

so...what makes the Vajra blow up? they are essentially just big bugs, if they get stabbed they bleed, but if they get shot they blow up, small green, medium yellow and the big red lobsters... oh yes, don't forget, if you cut one of their sharp tails and throw it at them they blow up too... :huh:

any reason? or is this just the hollywood syndrome that everything that gets turn over or shot HAS to blow up?

if you had paid attention to the analysis Leon gave on one of the red lobsters, you would have learned that the average vajra combat types are very similar in terms of capabilities to a valkyrie - even going so far as growing their own ammunition, organs that serve as fold drives etc. thats a whole lot of energy capacity, and it certainly doesnt surprise me that if they take damage in the wrong place they can go boom just like a valk.

lol... didnt you watch starship troopers? bugs can go boom too ^^.

Edited by Shaka_Z

if you had paid attention to the analysis Leon gave on one of the red lobsters, you would have learned that the average vajra combat types are very similar in terms of capabilities to a valkyrie - even going so far as growing their own ammunition, organs that serve as fold drives etc. thats a whole lot of energy capacity, and it certainly doesnt surprise me that if they take damage in the wrong place they can go boom just like a valk.

lol... didnt you watch starship troopers? bugs can go boom too ^^.

or to put it simply, if you have all that firepower inside you, it's bound to go BOOM if you get hit. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I just made this up, but Macross F (fifth letter of the alphabet) is probable mean the fifth story in Macross Universe (SDF:M, M:Plus, M7, M0 and M-II). The number 25 is also noticeable on the series for marking the 25th anniversary of Macross franchise.

Alto VF-25 is marked as SMS-007, which probably mean Alto as a womanizer (Bond?) and he ended up with two girls.

:huh:

Maybe I just made this up, but Macross F (fifth letter of the alphabet) is probable mean the fifth story in Macross Universe (SDF:M, M:Plus, M7, M0 and M-II). The number 25 is also noticeable on the series for marking the 25th anniversary of Macross franchise.

Alto VF-25 is marked as SMS-007, which probably mean Alto as a womanizer (Bond?) and he ended up with two girls.

:huh:

While translating the Sheryl page in the Chronicle, I noticed another 25 reference...Fold Quartz.

Or am I just reaching...? :unsure:

While translating the Sheryl page in the Chronicle, I noticed another 25 reference...Fold Quartz.

Or am I just reaching...? :unsure:

I don't get it. Unless you're punning to quarts, and that just makes me wonder if the milk carton conversation is leaking into this thread. And that still would be 4 rather than 5 unless you're mixing US quarts and Imperial gallons, so maybe I'm the one reaching. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
The Vajra weren't created by the Protoculture. The final episode reveals that the Protoculture were in such awe of the Vajra that they decided to actually model quite a bit of their technologies from the Vajra. To quote Grace, "All of space is in our grasp with the power that even the Protoculture feared, adored, defied, to the extent of imitating its form. The super-dimensional life form, Vajra!".

Reading your Grace quote, that line makes a lot more sense now. Which sub did you watch? Personally, I thought Lunar's subs were pretty subpar but I didn't know any other group had finished subbing the entire series.

Yippee! :)

Returning from a romantic weekend holiday with my Misa Hayese look-alike (aka girlfriend), I opened up my laptop and set about watching the later episodes of Macross Frontier - from 18 onward (18 being the one where Alto is compelled by circumstances to sneak back into his father's mansion where he confronts Sheryl).

My exhausted girlfriend had fallen asleep, so I figured there would be no harm in me watching some anime... a few minutes into the episode, I notice that far from being asleep, her eyes are open - albeit ever so vaguely (as though she was trying to fake sleeping - thinking "I can't let him SEE that I'm watching this").

She wasn't getting any sound, since I had earphones, but she was reading the subtitles. I partially think she did it just as a way of "checking" her english reading comprehension skills (since english is her second language), but also I know her well enough, that if she TOTALLY hated it, she wouldn't bother watching it :)

Anyways; she watched episodes 18 and 19 with me and then dozed back to sleep.

This now makes three Macross episodes (17 Pineapple Salad from SDF M TV and 18 + 19 from Frontier) that she has watched along with me.

Yay.

Pete

This now makes three Macross episodes (17 Pineapple Salad from SDF M TV and 18 + 19 from Frontier) that she has watched along with me.

Yay.

Pete

She must think that Macross is entirely about guys who eat pineapple-related food and then get serious injuries that cause a lot of blood loss...

She must think that Macross is entirely about guys who eat pineapple-related food and then get serious injuries that cause a lot of blood loss...

Heh heh :) Actually, you're right - I didn't think of that, but for a total newbie to only be exposed to two episodes from two different shows that basically amount to people eating pine salad and getting shot, one could have such a bizarre interpretation :)

Ah - I love when Macross World puts a smile on my face.

I plan on asking her about her impressions towards the end of the week; since she usually can't talk about such "firvolous" things during the work week :)

Pete

Very late post, but I finally had the time to watch the entire series.

I was wondering what is basis for your rating guys?

This is mine:

10 means better than SDF:M or at least the same level, SDF:M should be an standard for 10

8 means it was great and watchable repeteadly, but not as good as SDFM

6 means it was just good, to be watched once in a while

4 means it was bad, but fun, you know like "it is so bad its fun"

2 = craptastic

So I gave the series an 8.

What was good for me:

The mechas, its great to see the Koening Monster again.

The scrambles have never been better.

The music, great as always

The Vajras, they are really badasses

Grace kicks ass, great villain. :ph34r:

KlanKlan and Nanase :rolleyes:

The Zentradis playing a role in a war, with their Queadluun-Raus. totally awesome. B))

The Zentradi Mall. :lol:

The connection with Macross Zero is great, is it just me or the Macross Zero logo is what the Vajras have somehow tattued on their shells?, also the way Grace binds with the queen resembles how a human can bind with the AFOS, besides, I think some scientist named Nome was in that 117th fleet, maybe related to the Macross Zero's Nome family?, I cant tell until getting better subs...:

WHat was bad;

It was a "happy" Macross, kind of like M7 without the goofiness, I was expecting a darker Macross, like SDF:M or M+

The highschool thing, I really hate that. I know Hikaru and Max were teenagers but they didnt use those ridiculous ties. :angry:

Too many homages ( whats with the Misa Hayase, Whritai, Exsedol and Kamjin clones anyway?). <_<

Lack of more rogue Zentradis, taking revenge over what happened to that Zentradi fleet.

Lack of more information regarding the Galaxy fleet, who lives inside Grace? The Whole galaxy population?

Ranka is not as cute as Mylene.

There are still no flying cars in 2059 :lol:

In summary, Macross Frontier is a great series to watch. I would place it second behind SDFM, besides M+.

Yep... I have problems with Northern Cross as well.

Thanks alot, ntsan!

If only they'd release a dvd of the live concert! But with each passing day my hopes dim :(

Hmm that strange, Northern Cross played well on my computer.. what software do you guys use for playing flv file? I use flv player 2.05 btw

And yeah the car is so 80's style in year 2059

Edited by ntsan

Hmm that strange, Northern Cross played well on my computer.. what software do you guys use for playing flv file? I use flv player 2.05 btw

I used the all purpose VLC media player.

I think the problem is with the file when extracted. It's supposed to be 12,435 KBs extracted but it's only showing up as 12,144. The missing bits are screwing it up I think.

The connection with Macross Zero is great, is it just me or the Macross Zero logo is what the Vajras have somehow tattued on their shells?, also the way Grace binds with the queen resembles how a human can bind with the AFOS, besides, I think some scientist named Nome was in that 117th fleet, maybe related to the Macross Zero's Nome family?, I cant tell until getting better subs...:

Since you prefer to keep it in spoiler tags:

the scientist named Nome from the 117th fleet was none other than Mao from Macross Zero, whose granddaughter by the way is Sheryl

Edited by d3v

Seems for some reason VLC can't play Northern Cross, although it can play all the other files fine. I downloaded VLC Player, though, and it can play all the files, including the actual rip that ntsan sent me. Thanks!