Macross Frontier Series Discussion Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Rating  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, How would you rate "Macross Frontier"

• 10 (Perfect)
    • 5 (Average)
    • 1 (Absolutely horrible)

but if you don't understand a race being as individual and there's a 'something' that's an individual itself that interests you but yet, you don't understand either, why "individually" choose to save "one" thing instead of destroying everything to rescue that "only" for your collective... hmmm...

and also...is Ai Kun an individual also?

but if you don't understand a race being as individual and there's a 'something' that's an individual itself that interests you but yet, you don't understand either, why "individually" choose to save "one" thing instead of destroying everything to rescue that "only" for your collective... hmmm...

and also...is Ai Kun an individual also?

Huh? If an ant colony came in the middle of the night and stole your baby, would you feel badly about wiping out the colony to get your baby back?

And Ranka wasn't a "something" to the vajra, she was a queen.

Except they were apparently making nice with Mao and company

i never got the notion that they were making nice with anybody at the time. i mean, the 117th had a queen trapped in test tubes, that alone should be enough for them to want to wipe out the 117th fleet.

i never got the notion that they were making nice with anybody at the time. i mean, the 117th had a queen trapped in test tubes, that alone should be enough for them to want to wipe out the 117th fleet.

part of me wonders if it's not that simple. maybe they had samples before you know the smaller vajra, and grace captured and attempted to experiment on a queen which would add weight to the argument in the lab between grace and ranshe mei

Huh? If an ant colony came in the middle of the night and stole your baby, would you feel badly about wiping out the colony to get your baby back?

And Ranka wasn't a "something" to the vajra, she was a queen.

but Ranka was never with the Vajra

interesting, why would the Vajra consider a human/vajra hybrid their queen!?? it's not like the Vajra plan it...it's something that just happened with Ranka's mother being infected with the V-type virus while impregnate with her, hmmm... come to think about it, Kawamori took a lot more from Aliens that just "big ass queen laying eggs", remember Aliens 3, that the clone Ripley had cross DNA with a queen and the aliens ignored her... hmm....

by the way, was the v-type virus ever explained as in why it happened??

man, that frontier movie better not be a reteling like DYRL, a LOT of stuff to explain

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I really like how the series went and ended. THe ending was somewhat open with the triangle never really being resolved, they left it up to the viewer, but it also left it open to a sequel, how you say? Well a sequel series or movie is definitely possible, the rest of Galaxy Anonymous is still out there, Grace's allies, and there are still some unanswered questions that a sequel would resolve.

if i understand it the Vajra are all interconnected and thanks to the v type virus Ranka was connected too.

Yup, ranka didn't have to be "with" the Vajra for them to be able to identify her as one of them. They have a distributed consciousness with instantaneous communication.... which was explained numerous times and was the whole reason why Grace was interested in them in the first place.

then how come ranka didn't feel this connection??? it has to work to both ways around... and don't come with the 'she lost her memory bid' cause still as a child she didn't know, then if the vajra were interconnected to them and fold waves has no time and space limit, why didn't they just contacted her instantly, they didn't need to know where she was or be near her to do so...

what about sheryl? ranka basicly made her like herself by making the virus live in her stomach, is sheryl a queen now too?

...Who voted 2??! Why?!

Edit: I don't know how many of you visit or find Anime News Network reliable...but this is how Frontier is rated over there. Thought I'd mention it.

As of October 1, 2008:

User Ratings: 318 ratings have been given [details]

Masterpiece: 103 votes (sub:99, dub:3, raw:1)

Excellent: 108 votes (sub:103, dub:2, Por.sub:1, Spa.sub:1, raw:1)

Very good: 51 votes (sub:47, Spa.sub:1, dub:1, edit.dub:1, raw:1)

Good: 27 votes (sub:25, raw:1, dub:1)

Decent: 5 votes (sub:5)

So-so: 7 votes (sub:7)

Not really good: 7 votes (sub:7)

Weak: 3 votes (sub:3)

Bad: 2 votes (sub:2)

Awful: 3 votes (sub:3)

Worst ever: 2 votes (sub:2)

Seen in part or in whole by 767 users, rank: #626

Median rating: Excellent

Arithmetic mean: 8.5817 (Excellent-.41), std. dev.: 1.9158, rank: #119

Weighted mean: 8.389 (Very good+.38), rank: #143

Bayesian estimate: 8.36891 (Very good+.36), rank: #70

Edited by Oihan

then how come ranka didn't feel this connection??? it has to work to both ways around... and don't come with the 'she lost her memory bid' cause still as a child she didn't know, then if the vajra were interconnected to them and fold waves has no time and space limit, why didn't they just contacted her instantly, they didn't need to know where she was or be near her to do so...

what about sheryl? ranka basicly made her like herself by making the virus live in her stomach, is sheryl a queen now too?

Well...the connection was rather muffled, but she certainly felt it when the Vajra were being hurt or killed...

And Sheryl was always a queen and will always be a queen...and so will Bobby. ^_^

the whole point is the Vajra were unable to understand humans and visa versa and as bobby mentioned they have no need to communicate

as for ranka's connection it manifest more than once through the series and ranka felt it usually followed by ranka clutching her gut.

it should also be of note that the connection is not on 24/7 most likely something to do with Ranka's emotional state or her resturant jingle would of set them off. i think as she became more emotionally centered the connection grew. look at ranka's emotional state at the begining: a terminally shy girl outside her immediate friends and family, desperately wanting to sing her heart out and be counted as they say. by the end she has shed much of that shyness and is a different person

which is then reflected in the ability to connect to the vajra helping to free them from grace.

...Who voted 2??! Why?!

Edit: I don't know how many of you visit or find Anime News Network reliable...but this is how Frontier is rated over there. Thought I'd mention it.

As of October 1, 2008:

User Ratings: 318 ratings have been given [details]

Masterpiece: 103 votes (sub:99, dub:3, raw:1)

Excellent: 108 votes (sub:103, dub:2, Por.sub:1, Spa.sub:1, raw:1)

Very good: 51 votes (sub:47, Spa.sub:1, dub:1, edit.dub:1, raw:1)

Good: 27 votes (sub:25, raw:1, dub:1)

Decent: 5 votes (sub:5)

So-so: 7 votes (sub:7)

Not really good: 7 votes (sub:7)

Weak: 3 votes (sub:3)

Bad: 2 votes (sub:2)

Awful: 3 votes (sub:3)

Worst ever: 2 votes (sub:2)

Seen in part or in whole by 767 users, rank: #626

Median rating: Excellent

Arithmetic mean: 8.5817 (Excellent-.41), std. dev.: 1.9158, rank: #119

Weighted mean: 8.389 (Very good+.38), rank: #143

Bayesian estimate: 8.36891 (Very good+.36), rank: #70

Wow, Frontier has done well on ANN. I check ANN all the time for information and I always look at the votes. Often those votes can be really harsh, but Frontier seems to have really won everyone over. Impressive.

The show also made it pretty clear that the virus in ranka was dormant and that it was only activated after intense emotions from Ranka. And the show DID make it clear that the vajra was trying to communicate with Ranka.. think back to the numerous times ranka was overcome with grief when vajra were being destroyed.

And yes... making Sheryl able to communicate effectively with the vajra was a major plot point in the finale.

still noone has answered my many questions... mostly one, why is Ranka a queen for the Vajra??

Who knows, maybe it's because they have a singular consciousness and only queens have distinct consciousness that are manifested through the group link... like how a hive of bees acts as one but each hive is distinct. Or maybe it's because the particular strain of virus in ranka and sheryl was taken from a queen.

But what does it matter? Ultimately, the show was about Alto, Ranka and Sheryll finding themselves and deciding who they are... it's not a discovery channel show on vajra biology.

Edited by eugimon

To Ozma - dude, Fire Bomber had their last live concert twelve YEARS ago. Get over it! :p

Mark

Uh wait a minute... twelve years ago... Punch in the calculator.

That doesn't sound right...

Mylene just turned legal like... 5 years ago?

But that...

But... mid twenty? So wait, when I was watching Macross 7, but...

I'll go sit in the corner.

Crusader of THAT Animeblog has posted some of his thoughts on the series. I though it might be relevant to the topic here. :D

http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/10/01/ma...es-and-verdict/

Yeah, he raises some good points including a few observations that some of us may have missed.

The whole Ranka as a criticism of moe is an angle worth looking into IMO.

bloody hell, good read but the author really has a hardon for Sheryl/alto. article would of been better without all the shipper thrown in.

If you've read his earlier posts on Frontier, Crusader started out neutral but however ended up not liking Ranka after her seeming lack of development as well as a few of her questionable actions later on.

Edited by d3v

Alto HAS chosen Sheryl. Ranka's words at the end do translate as "I will try to steal him from you". Good luck [

I didn't see it quite that way at all. In fact, it seemed pretty open ended to me...

(I still hope some enlighted person on Frontier sends her the bill for all she has caused).

...Such as? Saving Frontier and Island 1? Helping to bring peace and understanding between the Vajra and humans? For saving Sheryl? Yes, that's absolutely horrible. How dare she.

At worst she was used by Grace, and Sheryl's fate would have been no different if she hadn't found Ranka instead. Any harm done was purely unintentional (in fact, it was encouraged by those in command of Frontier, Alto and Sheryl... they're as much to blame as pointed out in previous threads...) and all because of a misunderstanding of just what 'power' she really had over the Vajra.

Alto HAS chosen Sheryl. Ranka's words at the end do translate as "I will try to steal him from you". Good luck (I still hope some enlighted person on Frontier sends her the bill for all she has caused).

your intepretation or word by word translation of the text?

your intepretation or word by word translation of the text?

actual mental translation of what was said (i.e. what they really meant), ergo:

Ranka: "I won't give up in song, or in love."

what she really means: "I am gonna steal him from you bit#h."

Sheryl: "I accept your challenge."

what she really means: "oh, daamn, bring it on, bit#h!"

Sheryl's "kira" sign

what it really means: Gang sign for "death to boy-stealing bit#hes"

it was really simple enough to translate if anyone paid any attention at all. :lol::p

Final word is, the true competition is now begin (watch the Movie.... ^_^ ). So far Ranka has confessed to Alto and Sheryl also confess it with her kiss.

So the Frontier finale is good for me, Ozma with Cathy, Ranka-Sheryl true competition begin, Elmo survive which mean we will see seven-colored carrot in the future.

Several question, did Mao survive the 177th fleet massacre? What/who did Brera saw in the ending (it appears like a Mayan spear).

Also we didn't have the chance to see the conclusion of Alto vs Brera dogfight, so far Brera is much more superior in term of piloting skill and have a better VF.

So, best pilot in Frontier goes to....Brera Sterne B))

So, best pilot in Frontier goes to....Brera Sterne B))

But, but, alto wasn't inside his plane when he was shot down. and he wasn't even using his valk-of-choice, the VF25, and alto was distracted because of the giant ranka, and... and...

sigh. is it so obvious that i just want Alto to be the better pilot? haha. :p

oh well, screw that, she got the girls anyway. :lol:

But, but, alto wasn't inside his plane when he was shot down. and he wasn't even using his valk-of-choice, the VF25, and alto was distracted because of the giant ranka, and... and...

sigh. is it so obvious that i just want Alto to be the better pilot? haha. :p

oh well, screw that, she got the girls anyway. :lol:

I actually like the fact that he's not the better pilot... Hikaru sure as hell wasn't better than Max, and he turned out just fine.

I actually like the fact that he's not the better pilot... Hikaru sure as hell wasn't better than Max, and he turned out just fine.

same here. alto already got to kiss sheryl (or at least kissed by), and if he turned out to also be the best pilot, i'd probably hate him! :p

this is why i think brera is one of the best, right up there with max. swooping in like a bird of prey to clear the path for alto.

post-6173-1223026379_thumb.jpg

you can't compare anyone in frontier to max... c'mon, the guy in an underperforming VF-1A beat millia in her Q-Rau!!

Alto was crap on the VF-17EX, and I'm sure if you take Brera from his uber valk super high G he'll be crap too...

Ozma was the best pilot in the series...

Edited by Valkyrie addict

The most important thing that I want to find out (either the movie or whatever other media or sequel) is who does Klan go out with?

Im betting that Klan turns lesbian.

Nooo, that would fulfill MisaForever wet dream :ph34r: