Macross Frontier Episode 23 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 23  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Sheryl is getting drunk. Giggity!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Are we done yet? Are we done yet? Are we done yet?...)

Don't forget, Ai Kun also destroyed Alto's paper airplane in a previous episode.

I was confused, didn't people say earlier in this thread that Alto picked Ranka in this episode? I watched it and Alto says he's going to protect Frontier and those he loves even if he has to kill Ranka to do it. Then Klan says something about his love, Sheryl is crying, and I'm just friggin' confused but to me that seems like he's picking Sheryl. I'm guessing there were some hard to translate and vague statements in that last conversation.

Don't forget, Ai Kun also destroyed Alto's paper airplane in a previous episode.

I was confused, didn't people say earlier in this thread that Alto picked Ranka in this episode? I watched it and Alto says he's going to protect Frontier and those he loves even if he has to kill Ranka to do it. Then Klan says something about his love, Sheryl is crying, and I'm just friggin' confused but to me that seems like he's picking Sheryl. I'm guessing there were some hard to translate and vague statements in that last conversation.

Its like when people say that if you truly love someone you're willing to let them go to make them happy. Well, he's willing to Kill Ranka to fix all the problems because he knows that she would want everyone to be happy.

Alto's (paper) plane design is one that soars pretty far without flying fast. I've got a book somewhere that lists it as a soarer, IIRC.

Sheryl's plane is a simpler one that usually flies pretty fast, but when folded out of the right type of paper it may happily recover from a stall and land softly. Crumpled paper will of course impede its flight abilities a bit, but if the paper's light enough it should still fly decently.

Personally I prefer Sheryl's design, because it flies well even when thrown too hard. Soarers tend to plummet to the ground when thrown hard, and don't work too well if there's a lot of wind.

Obviously I've folded and thrown way too many paper airplanes out of windows when I was younger... :lol:

Generally when I make Sheryl's type it will go fast straight and then take a turn that is almost completely random. Usually ends up either hitting the ground and crumpling enough that I can only get one more flight out of it. I think I have seen one good landing so far.

I made Alto's last night, and IMHO it sucks. Seems to be VERY unpredictable, and generally has two options:

1. Nose dive right to the ground.

2. Make an immediate loop. Practically a boomerang, comes right back.

I got ONE decent flight out of it.

I guess that just means...... you FAIL? :D

I made Alto's last night, and IMHO it sucks. Seems to be VERY unpredictable, and generally has two options:

1. Nose dive right to the ground.

2. Make an immediate loop. Practically a boomerang, comes right back.

I got ONE decent flight out of it.

You obviously need Alto to come and help you straighten it out a bit.

I'm shocked that nobody noticed that the plot for the final episodes is written on Sheryl's paperplane...

It's probably the Read-Me file for Adobe Illustrator or Acrobat again. I would bet serious money there is nothing at all coherent written on that page that at all relates to the series or says anything comprehensible.. It's a read me or it's gobblety gook.

Edited by RF-26AAC

why all the fuss about sheryl's plane going down? i've always thought that it was just done as a proper segue to northern cross, since that ED does have valkyries doing nose dives while may'n sings.

(yup, that's me as the ultimate optimist.life is good.sheryl will live and be loved.) :D

and YES, sheryl is so frackin cute when she was drunk!! good thing they didn't do a "misato" drunk, coz that would be so old by now. :)

So where is the scene with Grace fondling her..... assets? :blink:

I like Grace fondling her assets. Yummy cyber bad girl. Can't get better than that. If Grace had been fondling her assets earlier in the series I think that she would have had more fanboys drooling and saying that maybe she wasn't evil. :lol:

Taksraven

I like Grace fondling her assets. Yummy cyber bad girl. Can't get better than that. If Grace had been fondling her assets earlier in the series I think that she would have had more fanboys drooling and saying that maybe she wasn't evil. :lol:

Taksraven

seriously, the scene with grace fondling her assets really looked like it was taken from bible black or dragon pink or some other hentai.

she was like, this close to doing something nasty to herself and simultaneously raping ranka, somehow.

Edited by RF-26AAC

Well, I think that's sorta been true of Frontier as a whole. The pacing's been pretty fast, with a lot of rapid cutting, even episodes that don't move the plot anywhere. This hasn't been a series that spends a lot of time dwelling on, say, a shot of the WTF-1. I wish they'd linger more on some scenes, but I guess that's the reality of storytelling in the television medium.

This does worry me a little bit when it comes to episodes 24 and 25. I'm afraid they're going to blow their production budget on the mecha pr0n, like they've done twice already back in episodes 7 and 14. I mean, this is the finale and all. However, long action sequences eat up exposition time. I'm convinced we'll get all the answers, but maybe not in as much detail as I'd like. Then again, I always thought they did a wonderful job combining plot and action back in episode 27 of SDFM, so maybe it's not completely impossible. :)

The pacing of this series has always been a concern of mine. It like with Macross Zero when you had the penultimate episode consisting of a lot of stuffing around and time-wasting to the extent that the last episode was extremely rushed. (I know that the start of the second last episode of Zero was great, but it slowed down pretty quickly after that.)

With Frontier I am just concerned that they are not leaving themselves enough time to wrap up the series properly and tie up all the loose ends. But then again, I feel that the final battle in any series should probably be stretched over a number of episodes rather than compressed into the last one, in other words, the final battle should have probably already begun.

Its going so slow I feel like we will never reach the fireworks factory! :lol:

Taksraven

We could have a 2 hour special final episode, you know? ^_^

I would love that, esp. if it was like End of Evangelion.

Actually I am expecting an ending like Gundam 0083, where nobody really wins or loses, things just don't work out.

Taksraven

seriously, the scene with grace fondling her assets really looked like it was taken from bible black or dragon pink or some other hentai.

she was like, this close to doing something nasty to herself and simultaneously raping ranka, somehow.

i wonder.... if some did a LARP of that segment, acting, what kind of reaction would one have? To me, clearly Grace was seriously horny/getting off at SUCCESS. She did get lead to the bug homeworld after all. so my question is this:

Are we gonna see the Macross Galaxy suddenly showing up to take the spoils from what ever survives the Varja/MF battle to come?

and YES, sheryl is so frackin cute when she was drunk!! good thing they didn't do a "misato" drunk, coz that would be so old by now. :)

Arr, except she wasn't drunk! It wasn't alcoholic!

I've been racking my brain over what she was, then, if not drunk. Alto warned her not to gulp her drink down. Maybe she's just having a tummy ache? Maybe she's just faking it. Maybe she just wishes she were drunk. Or maybe it's a symptom that something's eating her brain?

I've been racking my brain over what she was, then, if not drunk. Alto warned her not to gulp her drink down. Maybe she's just having a tummy ache? Maybe she's just faking it. Maybe she just wishes she were drunk. Or maybe it's a symptom that something's eating her brain?

huh? what gave you the idea that it wasn't alcoholic? did i miss something? :wacko:

Going by the Lunar Subs, the Frontier is jumping to the Vajra homeworld, using the last of its energy reserves. That being the case, if they lose this fight, then there is no running away. It s all or nothing.

When he puts her to bed, he realizes why she was acting giddy and wanting attention, the pills on her nightstand. Either she quit taking them or she started taking them again.

When he says it's not alcohol while she's chugging her drink.

Although you could argue that she's convinced herself it's alcohol and that she's drunk.

really? he said that? ok MUST WATCH SUBS now.

jeez. what a cop-out. feels like a public service reminder. "ok keeds, sheryl may be acting a little drunk, but remember, she's not really drinking any alcohol, and neither should you! just pretend you're drunk and it'll be just the same. wink wink."

but i still think she's a bit intoxicated somehow. those drinks maybe still has some kick in them, even just a little.

Edited by dreamweaver13

GG:

"Hey, even though i said it's not alcohol, that's...."

Lunar:

"Hey, even if that isn't alcohol it's..."

Whatever it is, Alto knows it's capable of getting Sheryl drunk. That's why after she gets drunk and passes out he says "Just as I predicted"

thanks! that clears it up.:)

y'know, if it were any other guy, i'd say that he intentionally lied about the alcoholic content to get the girl drunk! but... this is alto we're talking about...guess not. :lol: