Gundam Plamodel Thread III

Ok - sorry for the..well...triple post .... but...

I've been looking over the instruction booklet for Exia. I don't know why I didn't catch this yesterday when I was reading it (side note: do you guys like to read the instruction booklet for your kits? I do. Long before I start building, I always study the instructions for the kits to get a feel of what awaits me)...

Anyways - I noticed something disheartening about Exia, namely...does he even HAVE an internal frame?

I mean - it just looks like there are policap joints with...well...not armor...but...components...all over. Am I to understand that Exia effectively has no armor, and that the Gundam in OO are just basically walking internal frames?

I guess this semi makes sense since arguably if you can build them from durable armor that is streamlined, then why cover them with amor... but I somehow prefer the Mobile Suite Gundam mecha where you have a clear and distinct inner frame will all the do-das and do-hickies and over that you have an armored shell.

Anyways... the lack of an internal frame vs. external armor does indeed make the Exia seem somewhat...well..impoverished.

I hasten to wonder out loud what the difference between the MG and the NG 1/100 is, beyond the batteries and flashing lights and possibility to build the battle damaged kit?

I mean..seriously - I see no place where you can strip the armor to reveal components, hydraulics and electrnics.

Certainly I see no where near the complexity of a build that my Force Impulse Gundam entailed.

Hm.

Heck - even my Turn-A Gundam was more complex than this...

No...what am I saying...

My RX-78-2 seems to have a more complex and detailed inner frame and mechanics than what I can gather from the instructions...

Damn.

I'll sleep on this.

Pete

1. Dont worry the Exia has a wonderfully complex internal Frame. What sucks on it is that the side hip covers and hardpoints are not designed well enough to hold the Mini Buster Swords. Go ahead and build it. BTW to me the Turn A is better mech in esthetics and translates very well into the MG.

2. What a goof! So nice I got it from ebay last night. Cant wait for it. Rich in color and cool action poses. NEEDS! PANEL LINING THO.

Finished the Destiny last night. Why so fast it seems bandai used the same letter sequencing for all their seed sprues so basically i knew which part was onthe sprue. Since im on schedule and my Noir, Dom, Freedom and Astry did not arrive yet (I was expecting them for sure today) I decided to panel line my older stuff and Sword Impulse. I panel lined my Destiny after the build last night. Tonight the arduous job of decaling.

Just to tell you about Destiny....WOW. Pictures cannot translate how nice this figure is in the full burst mode. The other who normally doesnt appreciate robots unless they are transformers in their vehicle modes even made a positive comment that its "pretty".

DSC03529.jpg

DSC03532.jpg

DSC03533.jpg

DSC0vg3530.jpg

Not to take away any of the Full Burst's dignity - but the thing with SEED mecha is that the Gundam frame on just about all of them is the same one over and over. It's like - same Gundam, different backpack just about. With minor differences in the chest and shoulders at times.

I know it's the same for the Zaku and Gouf pretty much... but dag... the little differences make a world of difference to me. Like clearly the Gouf is a melee combat mecha, where the Zaku II is more a long range fighter (relative long range). Zaku II uses things like a bazooka and a machine gun, whereas Gouf, although it has the machine gun fingers, mainly has weapons making it ideal for close-range combat.

Meanwhile all of the SEED Gundams just seem to have variations on the back-pack with guns and wings theme, which gets kind of repetative.

So - I DO love my Force Impulse, but I'm in no rush to get more SEED mecha - and the fact that I'm getting something completely different in the Astray soon is testimony to me liking my Gundams to be diverse.

That's because it would be very easy to amass Gundams which all pretty much look the same and don't stick out. I remember that was one thing that prevented me from getting into Gundam modeling for a long time - every time I would check them out, it would be like...they all look the same pretty much...what's the fun in that? Then I discovered things like Turn-A and Wing Zero, and even Unicorn with its' unique psycho-frame transformation.

The mecha from MSG are thankfully distinct enough from one another to also not get boring. This is one thing I didn't like about SEED and didn't really like about what little of OO I saw either - Gundams, large amounts of Gundams running round.

I much prefer MSG where there's ONE menacing mecha called Gundam, and the rest are lesser mobile suits. And then, in the end, there's an entire mass production run of GMs based on the Gundam, thereby effectively making the prototype obsolete. I like that. It adds to the uniqueness of the mecha...

Um...anyways...

Yeah...I'm still contemplating Guncannon...but...no...sadly no. No way to get it on a gundam stand...I guess it'll have to be Exia...but...I dunno...I don't think I'll start today...I think I'm going to put this off...I can feel it....

Edit - oh and panel lining...I dunno...I panel lined my Zaku II with a pencil and that came out well. But I actually think panel lining with a marker is bad - it would require painting over the whole piece since the contrast between the panel line and the bland white they use on these things doesn't sit well with me... But I'm in no rush to panel line the MSG mecha because I think that with panel lines they look less anime accurate...

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Not to take away any of the Full Burst's dignity - but the thing with SEED mecha is that the Gundam frame on just about all of them is the same one over and over. It's like - same Gundam, different backpack just about. With minor differences in the chest and shoulders at times.

I know it's the same for the Zaku and Gouf pretty much... but dag... the little differences make a world of difference to me. Like clearly the Gouf is a melee combat mecha, where the Zaku II is more a long range fighter (relative long range). Zaku II uses things like a bazooka and a machine gun, whereas Gouf, although it has the machine gun fingers, mainly has weapons making it ideal for close-range combat.

Meanwhile all of the SEED Gundams just seem to have variations on the back-pack with guns and wings theme, which gets kind of repetative.

So - I DO love my Force Impulse, but I'm in no rush to get more SEED mecha - and the fact that I'm getting something completely different in the Astray soon is testimony to me liking my Gundams to be diverse.

That's because it would be very easy to amass Gundams which all pretty much look the same and don't stick out. I remember that was one thing that prevented me from getting into Gundam modeling for a long time - every time I would check them out, it would be like...they all look the same pretty much...what's the fun in that? Then I discovered things like Turn-A and Wing Zero, and even Unicorn with its' unique psycho-frame transformation.

The mecha from MSG are thankfully distinct enough from one another to also not get boring. This is one thing I didn't like about SEED and didn't really like about what little of OO I saw either - Gundams, large amounts of Gundams running round.

getting

I much prefer MSG where there's ONE menacing mecha called Gundam, and the rest are lesser mobile suits. And then, in the end, there's an entire mass production run of GMs based on the Gundam, thereby effectively making the prototype obsolete. I like that. It adds to the uniqueness of the mecha...

Um...anyways...

Yeah...I'm still contemplating Guncannon...but...no...sadly no. No way to get it on a gundam stand...I guess it'll have to be Exia...but...I dunno...I don't think I'll start today...I think I'm going to put this off...I can feel it....

Edit - oh and panel lining...I dunno...I panel lined my Zaku II with a pencil and that came out well. But I actually think panel lining with a marker is bad - it would require painting over the whole piece since the contrast between the panel line and the bland white they use on these things doesn't sit well with me... But I'm in no rush to panel line the MSG mecha because I think that with panel lines they look less anime accurate...

Pete

Um ok Its your hobby but forgive me for being obtuse. Since we are all Plastic ADDICTS HERE....All gundams are generic ALL Hero gundams

and baddies. In seed, yes their inner frames may be the same but the choice of armor and flight pack armaments make them completely different

I mean one has a jet up his ass. Isnt the that the same as the rx-78??.

The justice and destiny may share similar inner frames but my god what a world of difference. In look and function. The justice is a combination of distance offence and melle Perfect in my opinion all around good mech. The Destiny has a very powerful flight pack I guess used to initiate thrust to cut gundams in half. Looking at the two you see they are nothing alike. Same can be said for all the zaku's and rx-78 clones. Sharing the same inner frame but with modifications made to the armor can be very different. Yes I understand that you preference for one over another but to say because they all look the same um no. Even the wing packs are different. The justice has a flight pack that can act as a Drone/ghost(macross blasphemy) getting more support if needed to attack from 2 points rather than one.

And personally I like more than one super gundam. Convergence of overall technological advancement occurs globally so their should be similarities of design when gundams are involved. I like several super gundams from varying parties and what improvement that each does to be successful in battles.

Ok Pete thanks for the pictures I cant wait for my GOOF!!!!

and in regards to the PG 00 Design I mean wow just wow. I think this will be the best dam PG ever built. I dont know how on earth they can make the design any better but im stupid and not an engineer so i guess the japs will find a way!

Cant wait to get this thing....also does anyone thing they will release a flight pack for the PG Astray ??

Thanks for explaining about the differences between the SEED Gundams. I will admit that pictures NEVER do justice to the complex workings of Gundam models - if you JUST look at the picture, you never get as good an idea of the thing as you do from building it.

That said - I have already built the main body and head for Exia :)

First impressions are very positive. The one complaint I have it the neck. It's just a solid piece with a ball joint. Baaad. The RX-78-2 has hydraulics in his neck, as does the GM. The Exia's neck is a little too simple.

But other than that - I'm very pleased with it...particularly those transluscent parts...I was not expecting them to look like that. Very nice. And the swords - with the titanium coating...very nice :) And the GN Drive storage unit with the little 1:100 scale stairs...very nice :)

It's certainly a unique design for a Gundam. It's more traditional than Turn-A, but still different enough to be in a class of its' own. However, I do think the ultimate Mastergrade Gundam from OO will be Virtue - I expect Bandai to PUT Nadleeh INTO Virtue - and make it very easy to remove Virtue's armor to reveal Nadleeh.

Will be looking forward to that one :)

Anyways - please post more pictures of SEED Gundams doing their interesting things if you can.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for explaining about the differences between the SEED Gundams. I will admit that pictures NEVER do justice to the complex workings of Gundam models - if you JUST look at the picture, you never get as good an idea of the thing as you do from building it.

That said - I have already built the main body and head for Exia :)

First impressions are very positive. The one complaint I have it the neck. It's just a solid piece with a ball joint. Baaad. The RX-78-2 has hydraulics in his neck, as does the GM. The Exia's neck is a little too simple.

But other than that - I'm very pleased with it...particularly those transluscent parts...I was not expecting them to look like that. Very nice. And the swords - with the titanium coating...very nice :) And the GN Drive storage unit with the little 1:100 scale stairs...very nice :)

It's certainly a unique design for a Gundam. It's more traditional than Turn-A, but still different enough to be in a class of its' own. However, I do think the ultimate Mastergrade Gundam from OO will be Virtue - I expect Bandai to PUT Nadleeh INTO Virtue - and make it very easy to remove Virtue's armor to reveal Nadleeh.

Will be looking forward to that one :)

Anyways - please post more pictures of SEED Gundams doing their interesting things if you can.

Thanks,

Pete

Cool... i like the Nadleeh. I would be interested to see how they make into a MG. Hopefully they do the Sniper one too.

Well, I actually would prefer it if they did the ACD O Gundam as a Mastergrade before the sniper and all those others. Virtue/Nadleeh combo I'd just like to see them pull it off, but aesthetically speaking, the ACD O Gundam is probably top on my list in terms of OO mecha.

Oh - and Graham's union flag - if for no other reason than I really want to believe that the Flags are more complex than the extreme simplicity of the HG kits...

we'll see.

Off to bed! Will try to finish EXIA tomorrow after work...

Pete

Ngee Khiong reports that Bandai will soon be launching a new Gunpla line.

My Japanese sites tell me it will come in July 2010.

I wonder what this new line will have that the current HG, MG, and PG kits don't offer...

Perhaps they will offer another scale size?

Edited by Vifam7

Well, I actually would prefer it if they did the ACD O Gundam as a Mastergrade before the sniper and all those others. Virtue/Nadleeh combo I'd just like to see them pull it off, but aesthetically speaking, the ACD O Gundam is probably top on my list in terms of OO mecha.

I totally agree with you, a few month ago Bandai did announce a Metal Fix O Gundam but I think they cancelled it in favor of the Gundam Unicorn.

Still wishing for a 1/100 HG O Gundam at least.

Ngee Khiong reports that Bandai will soon be launching a new Gunpla line.

My Japanese sites tell me it will come in July 2010.

I wonder what this new line will have that the current HG, MG, and PG kits don't offer...

Perhaps they will offer another scale size?

There is a couple of possibilities here:

- a 1/72 scale line, popular with modelers but absolutely not covered by Gundam

- a line for all the space-/battleships

- and maybe a line for all the mobile armors

In other news, MG GN-X has been announced as well as a 1/48 RX-78-2 Gundam

which equates to a whopping 37.5cm in height! For pics look here -> Ngee Khiong

While I am OK with the mix-up Bandai does in MG line, I am also a bit annoyed at this latest release.

GN-X has been in existence for what, 2 years? And it's getting a release already. The Jegan and Doga have existed since '88 and still nothing!

I'm getting to the point where I think MG line has to split and have something separate like MGUC and MG.

As for the 1/48 Gundam, wow, but it's RX-78 so I'm not really interested.

I'm still waiting for my PG RX-93 Nu Gundam Bandai!!!

I totally agree with you, a few month ago Bandai did announce a Metal Fix O Gundam but I think they cancelled it in favor of the Gundam Unicorn.

Still wishing for a 1/100 HG O Gundam at least.

I could swear I saw a pic of the Metal Fix Gundam 0 last week somewhere. So I don't think they have dropped it.

Perhaps the new line will blend in more electronics - flashing lights, movable parts, thruster light effects :p into a 1/100 scale gunpla. :p Which would be an awesome opponent for my cat... but my cat is like Neu Ziel and the gunpla like a generic cannon-fodder mech.

Hm. Electronics you say...?

For a moment, I had a terrible vision of Transformers with their electronics impairing all attempts at accuracy. But then I remembered we're talking about Bandai here. After all, the MG Exia incorporates electronics and in no way does so to the diminishment of acuracy - so why not? Besides, doesn't one of the PG Gundams also use electronics? The Wing Zero?

But I'm guessing it'll be something different altogether, since nothing in the MG line prevents them from using electronics NOW anyways - and as we've seen them go back and do updated MG versions, what would stop them from doing updates again, only this time with electronics (if they wanted to).

As for the 1/72 scale - that would be crap for Gundams... I dunno...why bother. I mean - it would have to be more expensive then, but they still wouldn't be as big as the PG...but bigger than the MG? Wierd...

I'm really stumped. A new line of Gundams? Hm... beats me...

Pete

Hm. Electronics you say...?

For a moment, I had a terrible vision of Transformers with their electronics impairing all attempts at accuracy. But then I remembered we're talking about Bandai here. After all, the MG Exia incorporates electronics and in no way does so to the diminishment of acuracy - so why not? Besides, doesn't one of the PG Gundams also use electronics? The Wing Zero?

But I'm guessing it'll be something different altogether, since nothing in the MG line prevents them from using electronics NOW anyways - and as we've seen them go back and do updated MG versions, what would stop them from doing updates again, only this time with electronics (if they wanted to).

As for the 1/72 scale - that would be crap for Gundams... I dunno...why bother. I mean - it would have to be more expensive then, but they still wouldn't be as big as the PG...but bigger than the MG? Wierd...

I'm really stumped. A new line of Gundams? Hm... beats me...

Pete

All PG's have electronics to a degree. They all have LED's. Anyhow, 1/72 would suck. G-system offers some Gundam 1/72 kits. If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's either MG style action figures (Like SHCM in 1/100) or I for one would love to see a reboot of the 12" DX stuff (1/60), updated with more features.

GRIPE MOMENT

Goddamit to hell this goddam dry transfers. Man i miss the old wet transfers. I have ruined my my new justice. I had to take a hobby knife and scratch it off ruining the plastic sigh

No matter how careful you are they JUST SUCK!

Slightest movement and its all messed up. Why cant they stick to stickers!!!!!!

WHY!

Wet transfers were great why change to something more difficult!

one more time GODDAMIT

I guess now i have to spend an extra 15 bucks to buy the stickers and make one more attempt to hide the ugliness that is now there GODDAMIT

Edited by nugundamII

GRIPE MOMENT

Goddamit to hell this goddam dry transfers. Man i miss the old wet transfers. I have ruined my my new justice. I had to take a hobby knife and scratch it off ruining the plastic sigh

No matter how careful you are they JUST SUCK!

Slightest movement and its all messed up. Why cant they stick to stickers!!!!!!

WHY!

Wet transfers were great why change to something more difficult!

one more time GODDAMIT

I guess now i have to spend an extra 15 bucks to buy the stickers and make one more attempt to hide the ugliness that is now there GODDAMIT

I normally use (good) tape to hold the dry transfer in place while I rub away, I do it until my arm hurts :p ...it is possible to carefully peel the tape just a little back to see if it rubbed if not to carefully drop it back in place.... which the tape should assist with. (Wait, until you try and dry-transfer onto a painted surface, then the frustration fun begins).

Look at the bright side, now your Justice is weathered!

As for the 1/48 Gundam, wow, but it's RX-78 so I'm not really interested.

I'm still waiting for my PG RX-93 Nu Gundam Bandai!!!

Not intersted in 1/48 RX-78?

Maybe oneday Bandai will do a 1/48 Nu-Gundam... one model at a time.

I can see that happen if this line has enough support! Hope it is not too expensive.

4121704186_fbd7219dd9_o.jpg

News from Toysdaily...

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-114885-1-1.html

What show is the GNX from? It looks like Gundam OO...vaguely...

as for this:

I normally use (good) tape to hold the dry transfer in place while I rub away, I do it until my arm hurts tongue.gif ...it is possible to carefully peel the tape just a little back to see if it rubbed if not to carefully drop it back in place.... which the tape should assist with. (Wait, until you try and dry-transfer onto a painted surface, then the frustration fun begins).

Look at the bright side, now your Justice is weathered!

Yeah - me too. I don't really run into trouble with dry transfers. In fact, I ran into trouble with wet transfers especially if the sticker was really big. I don't have seven hands to properly hold it on every side so it doesn't shrivel up and die...

Dry transfers meanwhile just require regular scotch tape to hold them in place and then rub it all with the blunt end of a nail clipper and hey presto you're fine.

You don't even have to "lift" the tape every so often to see if it all came off right because to me it's always visible that it's no longer on the sheet. But yeah - accidents do happen if you're dealing with small stickers in tricky spots...

Pete

All PG's have electronics to a degree. They all have LED's. Anyhow, 1/72 would suck. G-system offers some Gundam 1/72 kits. If I were to take a guess, I'd say it's either MG style action figures (Like SHCM in 1/100) or I for one would love to see a reboot of the 12" DX stuff (1/60), updated with more features.

Bandai did make 1:72 Rx-78-2 and Zaku in the 80's, they were cut away display model if I remember right. I might have had one, but I don't remember any more.

1/48 scale Gundam is tempting, but a bit extravagant... I don't own very much 1/48 stuff, so it isn't all that necessary. The 1/60 is great because there's alot of 1/60 mecha stuff out there, and the Jumbo Grade 1/35s are great because they can display alongside the wealth of 1/35 stuff out there, including people figures and tank models. 1/48's good for airplane modelers, but not really for mecha, besides the Yamato offerings.

Of all the choices they could have picked for the next MG they go with a rather dull and unremarkable MS, I would have preferred yet another Zaku milking over this. I'd say that if they wanted to do a 00 non-Gundam MS the Flag would have been a better choice.

Yes, here is the one.

bandai-meg00001L.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Almost bought one on ebay, but passed. Not enough there to impress me, cool idea though, kind of like a predecessor to PG clear parts.

I have this kit on the way:

m115_01.jpg

Been wanting to get it for over a year but kept postponing it. Hope it arrives before thanksgiving break so I can work on it over the vacation in between turkey.

Noice, Good Choice. Not a big fan of zaku's but this looks big and intimidating. Like a war Machine!!!! My MG Goof V2 (thanks to Pete) is on the way. I have a PG Char's Zaku with special weapons set and my MG Kampfer More than enough zakus for me thank you

But I am looking forward to this new MG GN-X II. Looks imposing and a tough machine for war!

As you can tell i like machines that look like it could kick ass ... ie you have a Strike ISWP coming at you i guarantee you your panties will be soiled.

As for dry transfers. My set of Infinite justice is on the way. Hopefully I dont fu c it up the second time around. And no i havent used tape. I know i should but im kinda of lazy that way and I thought i could do without it. This time around Mr. Scotch will be my friend!

Also I am so sick of all the dam Rx-78s out there. Enough already. The PG was good enough. The GFFMC version Ka was good enough, then you have V2 MG

then you have the 1/35 GFFMC and now this COME ONE ALREADY

OVER - KILL

Also I am so sick of all the dam Rx-78s out there. Enough already. The PG was good enough. The GFFMC version Ka was good enough, then you have V2 MG

then you have the 1/35 GFFMC and now this COME ONE ALREADY

OVER - KILL

Agreed the design is thirty year old, thats why IMO they should make more O Gundam merchandise now :) .

Well in all fairness the overkill is a result of the design being 30 years old and them making a big deal of the 30th anniversary of the original Gundam. I personally am happy with it since I just watched MSG this year for the first time, liked it, and get a slew of MSG models that are all much better than previous years' offerings. So - good timing on my part.

Besides, I'm not in favor of Bandai rushing things. I like their slow pace. The MG Exia comes to us 2 years after Gundam OO premiered. That's a long time - an eternity in normal marketing terms. But Bandai has a great brand, and brands transcend marketing cycles - so they can take their sweet time to give us something special...

As for the "new" series of Gunpla in 2010 - based on someone asking about it offhand elsewhere, I suddenly got the idea that maybe Bandai will offer intricate models of the ships in Gundam? Mastergrade Ships?

I dunno. Those might be fun. Or they might be boring. It all depends :)

I'd certainly like a White Base.

Pete

Well in all fairness the overkill is a result of the design being 30 years old and them making a big deal of the 30th anniversary of the original Gundam. I personally am happy with it since I just watched MSG this year for the first time, liked it, and get a slew of MSG models that are all much better than previous years' offerings. So - good timing on my part.

Besides, I'm not in favor of Bandai rushing things. I like their slow pace. The MG Exia comes to us 2 years after Gundam OO premiered. That's a long time - an eternity in normal marketing terms. But Bandai has a great brand, and brands transcend marketing cycles - so they can take their sweet time to give us something special...

As for the "new" series of Gunpla in 2010 - based on someone asking about it offhand elsewhere, I suddenly got the idea that maybe Bandai will offer intricate models of the ships in Gundam? Mastergrade Ships?

I dunno. Those might be fun. Or they might be boring. It all depends :)

I'd certainly like a White Base.

Pete

um no we have almost 37% of the MG line comprised of Zakus and the like.

Out of the hero gundams we have 28% of rx-78 and their close relatives. This is only the MG line discounting the Specials and exclusives and and GFFMC and all other variations.

MGs have been made for almost 15 years. With a majority of the bad guys being zakus and their cousins that % is almost high 90s. I would say thats a LONG stretch for a anniversary line already. No need to make anymore zakus. I do understand that this is still a big revenue source but with gundam being so varied in styles it could offer a little more diversity. And to sound duplistic.....why in the hell dont we have a zaku flight type in MG!

teehee

Edited by nugundamII

Sure you can have your 2.0 Guncannon AFTER they have done

- Nu Gundam 2.0

- V2 Gundam

- Xi Gundam

- Penelope Gundam

- Gundam Mk.III

- NT-1 Alex 2.0

- GP01/02/03 2.0

- Double Zeta 2.0

- Sazabi 2.0