Gundam Plamodel Thread III

and to digress even further off topic

Bad guy gundams vs Hero Gundams Visual electronics design

Why would the baddies insist on using a mono eye. The two eye design with rear camera makes so much sense.

According to the MS08 Team the Gouf would have to continually sweep back and forth to refresh its cockpit image.

I always got the idea that the red eye was just a special targeting sensor, and there are other cameras providing a regular view. I know the scene you're talking about. As the eye swept over the picture, a white box went across the image, it looked like it was searching for a target. There's all those scenes where someone is ambushed by a Zaku, and a its eye suddenly lights up. It would be kind of pointless for him to be sitting there with his cameras turned off if he wants to be able to see anything.

Ok, after seeing this video I take back what I’ve said about the PG 00. Those are some fine gimmicks.

The GN drive condenser aren’t there to look pretty, they lock the position of the joints. That’s 8 joints that can hold their pose, even when some heavy weight is applied.

The head following the arm movement gimmick also looks great. The design does deserve the PG name.

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/11/pg-...t-campaign.html

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/11/pg-...r-gimmicks.html

Too bad the wing binders cannot rotate to point forwards or backwards like in the HG kit to make dashing/striking poses. Maybe it can be moded.

Still, I’m pre-ordering this beast

Uf. Finally had the heart to finish assembling this guy. Yeah - you read that right. Depressing weather has, of late...been depressing. I've been trying to fight depression by going to the gym, and I know that building Gundams also helps. Lately going to the gym has been easier than building Gundams, which demands more patience than working out and is only rewarding in the long run... anyways - finally managed to do it today... and viola. As usual, I still have to build the weapons.

I was on the fence - to panel line or not to panel line - but I decided ultimately against it because in the anime, he wasn't very "panel lined" anyways - more often than not the robot was pretty smooth imo...

2njv6fr.jpg

Some thoughts on the version 2.0:

I clearly prefer the inner frame on this guy to anything that has come before, particularly the KA which as far as Mastergrades go did not deserve the name. It was a joke. Pretty much NO inner frame - or at least a fear of giving him an inner frame because you had to fit the core fighter somewhere.

This new inner frame, which is also used on the JIM version 2.0 just kicks ass. It's really clever; the hydraulics on the shoulders and on the feet are wonderfully complex, and they even managed to make the knee mechanisms interesting. Double jointed hydraulic elbows are also a big win.

That said, the model does suffer from some delicacy issues which is a shame because it's such a simple design that I was hoping it would allow for rougher handling - kind of like my Zaku II and JIM do. But the Gundam's core fighter has pretty loose wings and the sliding plate/hatch on the main body which can open to reveal the internal core fighter cock pit basically has only gravity holding it down. This is a bummer because if you wanted to pose your Gundam doing a back flip...the hatch would give you trouble.

But whatever. Finally an RX-78-2 that LOOKS like the freaking anime model rather than being some kind of departure from it towards "less embarrassing" interpretations. I'm a big fan of the version 2.0s on this score. The "industrial" looking KA version was not really Gundam. The vents on the chest were totally innacurate to the anime, and the knees were all wrong, not to mention the shield. The four rocket packs rather than the simple two that the real Gundam has also sucked.

This guy I like because he looks exactly like the animation model. And I EVEN kind of like the fact that the GYM is more durable than he is, since Gundam is, after all, just a prototype...

Anyways, tomorrow I'll build the weapons...

Then it's on the new new Gouf version 2.0! Really looking forward to that one.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Uf. Finally had the heart to finish assembling this guy. Yeah - you read that right. Depressing weather has, of late...been depressing. I've been trying to fight depression by going to the gym, and I know that building Gundams also helps. Lately going to the gym has been easier than building Gundams, which demands more patience than working out and is only rewarding in the long run... anyways - finally managed to do it today... and viola. As usual, I still have to build the weapons.

I was on the fence - to panel line or not to panel line - but I decided ultimately against it because in the anime, he wasn't very "panel lined" anyways - more often than not the robot was pretty smooth imo...

2njv6fr.jpg

Some thoughts on the version 2.0:

I clearly prefer the inner frame on this guy to anything that has come before, particularly the KA which as far as Mastergrades go did not deserve the name. It was a joke. Pretty much NO inner frame - or at least a fear of giving him an inner frame because you had to fit the core fighter somewhere.

This new inner frame, which is also used on the JIM version 2.0 just kicks ass. It's really clever; the hydraulics on the shoulders and on the feet are wonderfully complex, and they even managed to make the knee mechanisms interesting. Double jointed hydraulic elbows are also a big win.

That said, the model does suffer from some delicacy issues which is a shame because it's such a simple design that I was hoping it would allow for rougher handling - kind of like my Zaku II and JIM do. But the Gundam's core fighter has pretty loose wings and the sliding plate/hatch on the main body which can open to reveal the internal core fighter cock pit basically has only gravity holding it down. This is a bummer because if you wanted to pose your Gundam doing a back flip...the hatch would give you trouble.

But whatever. Finally an RX-78-2 that LOOKS like the freaking anime model rather than being some kind of departure from it towards "less embarrassing" interpretations. I'm a big fan of the version 2.0s on this score. The "industrial" looking KA version was not really Gundam. The vents on the chest were totally innacurate to the anime, and the knees were all wrong, not to mention the shield. The four rocket packs rather than the simple two that the real Gundam has also sucked.

This guy I like because he looks exactly like the animation model. And I EVEN kind of like the fact that the GYM is more durable than he is, since Gundam is, after all, just a prototype...

Anyways, tomorrow I'll build the weapons...

Then it's on the new new Gouf version 2.0! Really looking forward to that one.

Pete

ugh

plane in spain stays mainly on the plain

I dont think any amount of panel lining can save that.

You need a GFFMC Ka Version my friend.

You mean this one? : http://www.goodpen.com.tw/merchandise/3/Ba...1004_155672.htm

I had the MG kit of that and, as I noted above in the review of the 2.0 - I just didn't like it. Got nothing against KA - heck, I love his Unicorn Gundam...although the non-poseable knees get annoying... but in terms of the RX-78-2...I just prefer it to look like what I see in the anime :)

Maybe it's not as super advanced and complex as later Gundam designs - but personally - I think it's really neato.

Pete

I've only got the 2.0 GM, and that's not getting a standard "shoot me I'm a GM!" colour scheme. My main sticking points with the 2.0 Gundam and GM are basically the feet and backpacks. I'm more "used" to the later versions of the items.

But I love the look of the 2.0 Zaku II. Eventually I'm going to build my two.

Hm. But the feet and backpacks are anime accurate - and the feet are so amazingly poseable. The Zaku II 2.0 also has super poseable feet. I dunno. I'm very happy with the 2.0s. Can't wait to build my Gouf.

Pete

Yeah, it's me again. Got the particle beam rifle and the shield done today... I also love the mace, but I'm a bit sick and so shouldn't model too much for fear of botching things...anyways...really love Gundam.

dlgqj6.jpg

I love how those hydraulics are visible as his ankles, and I like how everything is so smooth and seemless. It really makes you appreciate the design all that much more when the model does not have to be fudged, changed, "updated" or modified because the design was "unrealistic." This model does an excellent job of showing just how realistic the original design was. The legs in particular are - like legs in all future Gundams - real works of art. But since this is the first Gundam, then the legs get special recognition here.

I'm so happy to finally have Gundam in my collection...2 years after starting to build kits!

Bout time :)

Pete

I haven't But for aesthetics i prefer the Ver Ka. The Full cloth version reminds me too much of the sniper gundam in gundam 0 and the Gundam Scythe

They are small tho. I know the version Ka is supposed compliment the Harrison or blue version of the F91. If its anything like the F91 then ya go for it.

Ill refer you mr Dalong's website for a very nice review and you could always google Youtube for a video review

BTW there are so many gundams that could and I think SHOULD be given the MG treatment

How come Bandai totally skipped Wing??????????

That is a pretty pivotal show. Gundam 00 seemed to mimic it. I so desire a Full Arms MG gundam. Those huge double barreled beam cannons on both arms along with the missile packs come on that's SCREAMING MG!!!!!!!! ALong with the clown face that machine is a machine of WAR!

Also a Scythe Gundam Custom would be nice!

and to digress even further off topic

Bad guy gundams vs Hero Gundams Visual electronics design

Why would the baddies insist on using a mono eye. The two eye design with rear camera makes so much sense.

According to the MS08 Team the Gouf would have to continually sweep back and forth to refresh its cockpit image.

Thanks, I prefer the Ver. Ka too, I just like it better. Thanks for the heads up on Youtube, I'd forgotten about that resource. Are there any recent (say from 06 on) master grade kits that aren't good? VFTF1 your pics of the RX-78 2.0 are really tempting me! I loved the design in the anime, but never really liked it in model/toy form. Those pics make it look really good!

If there is anything more annoying in this world than pieces falling off your MG gundams and lost forever than please tell me.

The stupid little red piece on top of the chest of my rather expensive Exia Ignition Burst is now either in my vacuum or somewhere cause i cant remember when it did fall off. pisses me off to the point i want to smash it! or Someone.

You pay so much money for these farting things and pieces fall off. I should have known better and Superglued the motherfarter!

Now added to my list of growing defective MGs

First My f91 Harrison.

The rear bazooka clamp could never hold the bazooka. then as i tried fiddling with it i snapped off one of the clamps arms ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR fart! i had to dismantle it and glue the clamp shut and as much as i like this mech the thought always creeps up that the farting clamp is glued shut!!!!

Next

Unicorn. I love this mech so much. Too bad its design doesnt work well in a kit

Having two modes means sometimes you want to convert it. BIG fartING mistake there. the whole farting thing snaps here and there parts come off, everything becomes a loosey goosey. I ended up throwing all the armor bits in the garbage. now im left with the skeleton. Which is cool. The bazooka never stayed in the backpack in fact the piece that went in the slot broke off. I tried to fashion a piece for it but the nub is too short to hold the weight of the bazooka (design flaw-should have been deeper and the nub wider to hold the weight) and it ended up at the feet of the kit all the time. The waist is a loose piece of plastic. It now sits in zillion pieces. Thinking how I can salvage 70 bucks of dissembled plastic.

and now my seven sword exia. I love this mech too. Now its not complete and show accurate. Should i try to paint some red there or try to fashion a piece???????????Goddamit if VFTF1 tries to convince me that these things are better than transformers im going to throw my YF 19 at him :p

Again transformers dont break Kits do and Yammies too

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

im so mad right now

Why cant bandai expand their cash cow to SOC !!!!!!! damit

Does bandai provide replacement parts for kits

sigh im going to bed im too upset

This is where glue comes in handy. All the parts that are supposed to stay together and not move, always gets glue when I build my gundams.

Despite the fact that gundams are snap together, I still glue them. Piece of mind.

They have tried (chogokin toy years ago) but fail (people perfer cheaper and better looking model-kit).

And your closest choice would be GFF Metal Composite serie.

Edited by macrossnake

Having two modes means sometimes you want to convert it. BIG fartING mistake there. the whole farting thing snaps here and there parts come off, everything becomes a loosey goosey.

Well in all fairness to the Unicorn design team - note that the instructions EXPLICITLY show that you have to take the Gundam apart before transforming it. That is, the instructions recommend that you remove the head, legs, and arms and then seperate the waste and upper body. Then, the instructions ask you to transform each individual portion and put it all back together.

Transforming Unicorn when the whole thing is together is indeed delicate business and usually doesn't work out too well.

As for pieces coming off - yes, this happens sometimes. Heck, my new RX-78-2 v.2 likes to shed the "stomach" part that slides open to reveal the cockpit sometimes.

But it doesn't really bother me because these aren't toys - you shouldn't go running outside with them to play. That said, they ARE PERFECT for making photo comics because they LOOK great and they are extremely poseable and well detailed. And in the confines of a safe environment - so what if something falls off? You just put it back on.

As for Exia ignition mode - haven't built it yet, so I'll join you in whining when I do probably...

but generally - don't vacume before making sure there's nothing important on the floor :)

Anyways... for my part...

I have decided NOT to build Guncannon. I'm going to hope against hope that we will get a version two, what with the new Gundam and the new Guntank, then for goodness sakes there must be a new and improved Guncannon on the way too, no?

Pete

Best thing to use when you want a piece to stay on but you don't want it to be glued-in permanently -> Elmer's white glue or any other generic white glue commonly used by grade school kids.

Comes off easy and doesn't hurt the plastic underneath.

If there is anything more annoying in this world than pieces falling off your MG gundams and lost forever than please tell me.

The stupid little red piece on top of the chest of my rather expensive Exia Ignition Burst is now either in my vacuum or somewhere cause i cant remember when it did fall off. pisses me off to the point i want to smash it! or Someone.

You pay so much money for these farting things and pieces fall off. I should have known better and Superglued the motherfarter!

Now added to my list of growing defective MGs

First My f91 Harrison.

The rear bazooka clamp could never hold the bazooka. then as i tried fiddling with it i snapped off one of the clamps arms ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR fart! i had to dismantle it and glue the clamp shut and as much as i like this mech the thought always creeps up that the farting clamp is glued shut!!!!

Next

Unicorn. I love this mech so much. Too bad its design doesnt work well in a kit

Having two modes means sometimes you want to convert it. BIG fartING mistake there. the whole farting thing snaps here and there parts come off, everything becomes a loosey goosey. I ended up throwing all the armor bits in the garbage. now im left with the skeleton. Which is cool. The bazooka never stayed in the backpack in fact the piece that went in the slot broke off. I tried to fashion a piece for it but the nub is too short to hold the weight of the bazooka (design flaw-should have been deeper and the nub wider to hold the weight) and it ended up at the feet of the kit all the time. The waist is a loose piece of plastic. It now sits in zillion pieces. Thinking how I can salvage 70 bucks of dissembled plastic.

and now my seven sword exia. I love this mech too. Now its not complete and show accurate. Should i try to paint some red there or try to fashion a piece???????????Goddamit if VFTF1 tries to convince me that these things are better than transformers im going to throw my YF 19 at him :p

Again transformers dont break Kits do and Yammies too

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

im so mad right now

Well after sifting through my vacuum

a ugly ugly job ,,,, Mike Rowe moment I found it . And it was a blue piece. Crazy glued it on..... whew

that poo is nasty. You think dust is clean. Anyway. Learned my lesson. Even if they say it isnt so it is so Glue will be my best friend for MG kits

:)

Just got my MG Justice and Sword impluse. I will finish by Wed. and Take pictures

Heh - I almost fear you taking picks of the Sword Impulse Gundam...even though it's just a pink Force Impulse (must keep telling myself that) I'm sad I won't be able to come into possession of it for a long long time...but dag it does look lovely!

Anyways.

Here's my RX-78-2 version 2.0 ...again. This time he's happily got a clamp shoved between his legs and jammed into a stand: the heavenly dream of ALL mecha:

33bcvtw.jpg

I STILL need to finish his staff and his ball and chain and his bazooka. I swear - I HATE building weapons for Gundams. It's like...once the robot is done, I just want to move on to the next one... and that's what I'm going to do in this case. But I know that eventually I'll have to come back and build the remaining weapons. It's just - for now the laser swords, shield and rigle are enough I think.

Very impressive Gundam IMO.

And yes, I love to just call it GUNDAM. That's one of the things I so love about MSG. It's just GUNDAM. Nobody calls it RX-78-2. That only happens after so many different Gundams come out through the different series that you need to call them all by their number. But in MSG - it's just GUNDAM. And best of all - it's just a prototype! wooo! :)

Pete

Ho hum

Kids kept me from completing the Sword Impulse. The Justice is just a fantastic mech. Much better MG than Exia

I hate the show not a seed fan at all but the mechs are wow !

I hope they make some more seed that hasnt been made into MG

Still have the destiny which I hope to finish

I wont panel line and decal and clear coat them until the Noir, Freedom J Burst, MG Astray Blue, Rick Dom

DSC03517.jpg

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03514.jpg

I have decided NOT to build Guncannon. I'm going to hope against hope that we will get a version two, what with the new Gundam and the new Guntank, then for goodness sakes there must be a new and improved Guncannon on the way too, no?

Pete

Really? When I built the Guncannon, I was thoroughly impressed with the design of the kit. Almost no seams were visible (just the standard head seam), and it's flexible as hell, despite how the kit looks when finished. The little Core fighter is pretty good too.

Heck, my Guncannon got me second place at IMPS Capcon Ottawa in the Sci-Fi ground robots competition.

Kids kept me from completing the Sword Impulse. The Justice is just a fantastic mech. Much better MG than Exia

I hate the show not a seed fan at all but the mechs are wow !

Yeah... I got the same notion into my head when I was building Force Impulse - the mecha is amazing... too bad the show isn't :) Anyway, nice Sword Impulse. My next SEED Gundam will be the Blue Frame Astray.

Interesting you say the Justice is better than Exia. I have many times passed up the chance to have Justice, but I think I'm going to build Exia....

Can you elaborate as to why you think Justice is better? Also - I have noticed that the more recent a kit, the more advanced it tends to be - and so hearing Justice is better than Exia also sounds to me like "old kit better than newer kit." I'm curious - it this just on account of the Justice itself being more complex and compelling, or are their technical, design issues that are better despite the kit being older than the Exia?

When I built the Guncannon, I was thoroughly impressed with the design of the kit. Almost no seams were visible (just the standard head seam), and it's flexible as hell, despite how the kit looks when finished. The little Core fighter is pretty good too.

Interesting - please tell me more.

See - what influenced my decision was the RX-78-2 Katoki version, which I previously built and was thoroughly dissapointed with due to the cop-out of an inner frame that it had - or really didn't have. Simply because they needed to fit the core fighter in there, the inner frame for the upper body was pretty much non-existant. I guess I just got scared that the inner frame of the Guncannon was equally unelaborate.

Since it's the 30th anniversary of Gundam, and we've gotten v 2.0 Zaku, Gouf, Gundam, GM, and a new Guntank...I guess I'm hoping that we'll be graced with a Guncannon 2.0 as well...

Pete

Well, the Guncannon is able to do many poses that the TV show has it do. It comes with extra hands so that it can get on its knees and fire the cannons from a "down on all fours" pose, and the neck is flexible enough so that the head can actually look straight ahead when the 'suit is lying down on the ground. It also comes with grenades that go into the lower leg (with a matching pivoting hatch to boot). I also liked the design of the knees and shoulders. The shoulders are three pieces (externally) so that it replicates the sliding armour of the original design. The knees have these extra armour pieces that slide up as the knee rotates, to protect the mechanics underneath.

Like I said, it doesn't look like much, but I really appreciate the overall package of the kit.

As they say in 4chan, picture related. It's mine!

post-122-1258562682_thumb.jpg

Also, I'm really fond of the GM Custom design (have that one too). Wrong feet and all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I also did away with the stickers and dry transfers, and used waterslide decals on the kit. Shame Bandai doesn't always include them. At least they're cheap at 400 yen a pop.

Edited by VF-19

Yeah... I got the same notion into my head when I was building Force Impulse - the mecha is amazing... too bad the show isn't :) Anyway, nice Sword Impulse. My next SEED Gundam will be the Blue Frame Astray.

Interesting you say the Justice is better than Exia. I have many times passed up the chance to have Justice, but I think I'm going to build Exia....

Can you elaborate as to why you think Justice is better? Also - I have noticed that the more recent a kit, the more advanced it tends to be - and so hearing Justice is better than Exia also sounds to me like "old kit better than newer kit." I'm curious - it this just on account of the Justice itself being more complex and compelling, or are their technical, design issues that are better despite the kit being older than the Exia?

Interesting - please tell me more.

Ok I like the look and design of the Exia. It has a good construction but it does have flaws. Its hip buster sword holsters are weak. The hard point for the buster swords is only slotted into one side of the hip cover. That means the slightest movement it falls apart. You have to CG the cover plate but I have added nail-polish to the hard-point because it just falls off. So it becomes a useless gimmick and the risk of things being lost.

Also I understand its a melee mech. I dont like that concept. Since its a bipedal machine close combat doesnt make much sense since if your leg get lobbed off It needs some distance offensive weapons. And that bring me to the next thing about MG Exia Ignition Mode (IM). The gun/GN sword attachment is pretty flimsy. If you move it slightly it falls fromt the arm slot and then you need to realign the hand slot and try at the same time to get the part of the GUN sword into the bottom part of the Gun groove and the arm groove too. If you have the GN sword stored, you cant have it posed cause it interferes with the Shoulder beam swords.

The Justice just seems more solid and you can play with it and pose it. Its offensive weaponry makes sense. Also gundams with flight packs are too DAM cool. TO me the inner frame designs in seed work better. It has the feel of a toy. Same can be said for the Sword Impluse. As you can see by the picture im still not finished. No other Gundam has exhausted me in the build so much. And I still have the Noir, Destiny is next tonight, then I will finish my MG Astray Blue Frame and lastly I plan on finishing the MG Rick Dom on Sunday. So next week i can concentrate on Decals, Detailing painting, and Panel Lining which is the most time consuming and finish MG Strike Freedom Burst Next week.

Here in the picture is the Special Stand I got for the Exia. I have it that pose from the First scene in the Season 1 as it approaches earth for battle.

I think the only Gundam that would translate well into an MG would be the Sniper one. Dont remember the name. The rest have designs good enough for PG. Hope that answers your question

DSC03527.jpg

Edited by nugundamII

Yeah, that answers my questions - thanks :) I admire the tempo with which you crank these out. I usually can only sit still for 30 minutes per day tops, and sometimes even shorter - unless I'm feeling really mellow, which sometimes happens...then I can do one Gundam after another...

I have to do the Gouf version 2.0 next, but after that it'll likely be Exia. Nice special stand by the way.

Asfor Guncannon...

You know - I'm really on the ropes about that one. I mean - I'll be kicking myself if I build it and Bandai goes and releases a version 2.0 in 2010...

Then again - if they were going to do it, wouldn't this year have made more sense, what with the 30th anniversary?

Anyways, Gouf, Zaku and Gundam got a v. 2.0 ... why not this guy?

I dunno. Ultimately - I leave these kind of decisions up to my market. If I sell out of Guncannon before I can decide to build him - then I guess I wasn't meant to! :)

Pete

Yeah, that answers my questions - thanks :) I admire the tempo with which you crank these out. I usually can only sit still for 30 minutes per day tops, and sometimes even shorter - unless I'm feeling really mellow, which sometimes happens...then I can do one Gundam after another...

I have to do the Gouf version 2.0 next, but after that it'll likely be Exia. Nice special stand by the way.

Asfor Guncannon...

You know - I'm really on the ropes about that one. I mean - I'll be kicking myself if I build it and Bandai goes and releases a version 2.0 in 2010...

Then again - if they were going to do it, wouldn't this year have made more sense, what with the 30th anniversary?

Anyways, Gouf, Zaku and Gundam got a v. 2.0 ... why not this guy?

I dunno. Ultimately - I leave these kind of decisions up to my market. If I sell out of Guncannon before I can decide to build him - then I guess I wasn't meant to! :)

Pete

I like the Gouf (love the name sounds like Goof-Hey you goof, what me or my gundam...haha)

Please give me your thoughts on it cause i have been contemplating getting this one.

I like the Gouf (love the name sounds like Goof-Hey you goof, what me or my gundam...haha)

Please give me your thoughts on it cause i have been contemplating getting this one.

Well - I can give you my thoughts :)

I was so inspired by your model building pace, that I went and tried to be like you. I have finished the head and main body. I quit for now, but maybe tomorrow morning I'll be able to finish the rest.

As for the name Gouf - HLJ's president pointed the same thing you speak of [Gouf = goof/goofy in english] to some Japanese guys from Bandai, but if it amused them or phased them in any way...one did not notice.

Anyways - as is pretty much well known, or at least it's no secret, that one of the big cool things about the version 2.0 Gouf is the innovative way that Bandai has made it easier for builders to get all the tube armor parts around the tubes.

Well - I report that it does indeed work just like Bandai demonstrated and said it would. Good job Bandai. It sure is a lot easier to build those tubes now - so that is a big plus.

As for everything else... the Gouf's inner frame is not as complex as the Zaku II because the Zaku II's cockpit pivotes from left to right (for reasons I don't understand) and you can open the cockpit from either the left side of the mecha or the right. Gouf's cockpit is a solid piece (with windows even) that just opens straight up to reveal the pilot - thus there's less need for mechanics in there. The shoulders are also less advanced than the Zaku II.

That said, just as with every single Gundam produced in 2009 that I have built from Bandai - the colors are really awesomely vibrant.

I mean - finally they have made the colors so vibrant that seriously - I see no reason to add paint to enhance the colors. I remember building my old Wing Zero custom and thinking the coloring to be a bit bland - no more. Every single model from 2009 could just as well have been painted.

Gouf is no exception, the different shades of blue are really awesome.

And of course, I love the simplicity of the MSG mecha; but it is just enhanced at MG scale. This is because under that simple, smooth armor there is great technical detail and a complex inner frame - and suddenly it becomes so obvious WHY it's not necessary for the outside to look complex. Armor SHOULD be smooth - there shouldn't be panels, creases, buttons, blinking lights etc etc on the outside - what use would it be - just simple straight forward armor - and that's what I like about the 70s robot aesthetic in general and these Mobile Suits in particular...

Anyways, Gouf is not as complicated as Gundam, and MSG models are generally certainly no where NEAR as time consuming as SEED models...for better or for worse.

Anyways - hopefully tomorrow I'll finish this guy up and move on to Exia...

Pete

Well - I can give you my thoughts :)

I was so inspired by your model building pace, that I went and tried to be like you. I have finished the head and main body. I quit for now, but maybe tomorrow morning I'll be able to finish the rest.

As for the name Gouf - HLJ's president pointed the same thing you speak of [Gouf = goof/goofy in english] to some Japanese guys from Bandai, but if it amused them or phased them in any way...one did not notice.

Anyways - as is pretty much well known, or at least it's no secret, that one of the big cool things about the version 2.0 Gouf is the innovative way that Bandai has made it easier for builders to get all the tube armor parts around the tubes.

Well - I report that it does indeed work just like Bandai demonstrated and said it would. Good job Bandai. It sure is a lot easier to build those tubes now - so that is a big plus.

As for everything else... the Gouf's inner frame is not as complex as the Zaku II because the Zaku II's cockpit pivotes from left to right (for reasons I don't understand) and you can open the cockpit from either the left side of the mecha or the right. Gouf's cockpit is a solid piece (with windows even) that just opens straight up to reveal the pilot - thus there's less need for mechanics in there. The shoulders are also less advanced than the Zaku II.

That said, just as with every single Gundam produced in 2009 that I have built from Bandai - the colors are really awesomely vibrant.

I mean - finally they have made the colors so vibrant that seriously - I see no reason to add paint to enhance the colors. I remember building my old Wing Zero custom and thinking the coloring to be a bit bland - no more. Every single model from 2009 could just as well have been painted.

Gouf is no exception, the different shades of blue are really awesome.

And of course, I love the simplicity of the MSG mecha; but it is just enhanced at MG scale. This is because under that simple, smooth armor there is great technical detail and a complex inner frame - and suddenly it becomes so obvious WHY it's not necessary for the outside to look complex. Armor SHOULD be smooth - there shouldn't be panels, creases, buttons, blinking lights etc etc on the outside - what use would it be - just simple straight forward armor - and that's what I like about the 70s robot aesthetic in general and these Mobile Suits in particular...

Anyways, Gouf is not as complicated as Gundam, and MSG models are generally certainly no where NEAR as time consuming as SEED models...for better or for worse.

Anyways - hopefully tomorrow I'll finish this guy up and move on to Exia...

Pete

cool im sold

going to be buying one from ebay tonight

On Dalongs site the colors are amazing. The only painting required are touch ups

Metallic Aluminum for shocks, gold for inner boosters and so forth

Decals need a thin layer of Nail polish so they dont scratch off

Otherwise Dalong and you have sold me on the purchase thanks

The trick to speed building is looking at it as a Work Package. PM terminology

Legs first and waist so the thing can stand

Legs take the longest so do those first. Then head then weapons body

Then arms at a leisurely pace

Also optional ...frame gets built first then armor. I know the instructions have their order.

Also I like to memorize my Sprues so I automatically choose the correct sprue for the part i need

I usely cut away the weapons sprues clean and get rid of those so not to add to clutter

good luck

post a pick when its done!!!!!!

And since you like th UC line get the MG guntank Really good !!!

Well, to quote Ramba Ral: "This is no Zaku, boy!" (ザクとは違うのだよザクとは!) :p:)

But actually the model kit is pretty similar to the Zaku 2.0. The inner frame and joints are pretty much the same.

The only thing I personally do not like is the given color. I don't like the turquoise-like light blue given. It's a kit I'd have to consider giving a paint job.

post a pick when its done!!!!!!

And since you like th UC line get the MG guntank Really good !!!

Yeah - hopefully tomorrow. I just got done building the legs. All I have left now are the waiste and the arms. The "snake" whip is very cool -I haven't built it, but looked in the instructions about how to build it. The legs are awesome too.

But no more building for today...I'm beat...

Guntank I'll probably get some time early next year...

Pete

As promised - here he is:

1433z4i.jpg

nobhh2.jpg

Now I need to think real hard...Guncannon...or Exia...

What am I saying? I'm NOT going to build the Guncannon - no way. You know why? Because just like RX-78-2 KA, it will NOT fit on a Gundam stand - I'm sure of it. The MSG models just don't fit on the Gundam stands - they are not built for them. I tried and tried and it didn't fit. That wasn't the only reason I got rid of it (mainly because it didn't look like Gundam from the anime) - but I'm sure Guncannon will have the same problem. And I don't want Gundams that can't fit on stands.

Now of course somebody is going to make a fool out of me by posting a Guncannon on a stand...

Pete

Ok - sorry for the..well...triple post .... but...

I've been looking over the instruction booklet for Exia. I don't know why I didn't catch this yesterday when I was reading it (side note: do you guys like to read the instruction booklet for your kits? I do. Long before I start building, I always study the instructions for the kits to get a feel of what awaits me)...

Anyways - I noticed something disheartening about Exia, namely...does he even HAVE an internal frame?

I mean - it just looks like there are policap joints with...well...not armor...but...components...all over. Am I to understand that Exia effectively has no armor, and that the Gundam in OO are just basically walking internal frames?

I guess this semi makes sense since arguably if you can build them from durable armor that is streamlined, then why cover them with amor... but I somehow prefer the Mobile Suite Gundam mecha where you have a clear and distinct inner frame will all the do-das and do-hickies and over that you have an armored shell.

Anyways... the lack of an internal frame vs. external armor does indeed make the Exia seem somewhat...well..impoverished.

I hasten to wonder out loud what the difference between the MG and the NG 1/100 is, beyond the batteries and flashing lights and possibility to build the battle damaged kit?

I mean..seriously - I see no place where you can strip the armor to reveal components, hydraulics and electrnics.

Certainly I see no where near the complexity of a build that my Force Impulse Gundam entailed.

Hm.

Heck - even my Turn-A Gundam was more complex than this...

No...what am I saying...

My RX-78-2 seems to have a more complex and detailed inner frame and mechanics than what I can gather from the instructions...

Damn.

I'll sleep on this.

Pete

Ok - sorry for the..well...triple post .... but...

I've been looking over the instruction booklet for Exia. I don't know why I didn't catch this yesterday when I was reading it (side note: do you guys like to read the instruction booklet for your kits? I do. Long before I start building, I always study the instructions for the kits to get a feel of what awaits me)...

Anyways - I noticed something disheartening about Exia, namely...does he even HAVE an internal frame?

I mean - it just looks like there are policap joints with...well...not armor...but...components...all over. Am I to understand that Exia effectively has no armor, and that the Gundam in OO are just basically walking internal frames?

I guess this semi makes sense since arguably if you can build them from durable armor that is streamlined, then why cover them with amor... but I somehow prefer the Mobile Suite Gundam mecha where you have a clear and distinct inner frame will all the do-das and do-hickies and over that you have an armored shell.

Anyways... the lack of an internal frame vs. external armor does indeed make the Exia seem somewhat...well..impoverished.

I hasten to wonder out loud what the difference between the MG and the NG 1/100 is, beyond the batteries and flashing lights and possibility to build the battle damaged kit?

I mean..seriously - I see no place where you can strip the armor to reveal components, hydraulics and electrnics.

Certainly I see no where near the complexity of a build that my Force Impulse Gundam entailed.

Hm.

Heck - even my Turn-A Gundam was more complex than this...

No...what am I saying...

My RX-78-2 seems to have a more complex and detailed inner frame and mechanics than what I can gather from the instructions...

Damn.

I'll sleep on this.

Pete

Well, IMO that's mainly because the Gundam 00 designs are meant to look more futuristic than the more industrial looking classic Gundams with all their pistons. The holographic strips do the work of the hydraulics and electronics.

Just looks at the GN condensers; you take them away those high-tech looking gadgets and you have huge holes in the frame.

Here are some build ups of the PG 00. You can see that there's not a single piston even at that huge scale (though it's filled with the holographic strips); just circular themes and a aseptic/sterile finish.

http://plaview.blog76.fc2.com/blog-entry-31.html#more

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ossan-obahan1-2/e/ed...e79748672262447

http://pramo296.blog114.fc2.com/blog-entry-130.html#more

The radical new direction that the designs took with there more self contained looking parts is one of the main reasons I like the Gundams form 00 a lot.