Macross Frontier Episode 20 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 20  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! WHY!!?????)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I want everyone to DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!)

Seems to me Sheryl's slap is partly or hugely due to that frustration. Between the slapper and her victim, the person who's more hurt is actually the slapper (Sheryl). :ph34r:

I'd be frustrated too if the one person (I thought) could save everyone was sitting in the corner blubbering because I hugged (or was being held up by) some guy she liked lol. :ph34r: That slap was, dare I say it, GAR. :lol:

Edited by Raptor One

There's something bothering me about this episode though.

If the Vajra had already become impervious to conventional weapons, how come we still see them being blown to bits by Alto, Michel, Quarter, Canaria, et al? Shouldn't the Macross fleet be massacred by now?

Unless...the Vajra that they're fighting now are from a different hive altogether. A hive that hasn't been updated of the battle data that the Vajra of previous encounters had accumulated.

But then, what about those that just folded in? Where did THEY come from if not from the main hives? THEY were still being blown to bits.

I smell plot devices at work here...

While it would be cool to see Kuran Kuran piloting his VF-25 there is one major problem. In Miclone form she's child sized. Won't reach the controls.

Luca isn't a giant himself (although, in ep2, he only appears to be a few inches shorter than Mikhail, versus a full head or so for Klan). Perhaps the Ex-Gear can compensate - after all, it is most of the control interface. Worst case is that she might have a little trouble reaching some buttons, but again I believe the Ex-Gear should be able to compensate for the length of her arms while in command couch mode. The U.S. Army doesn't custom-tailor BDUs, so I don't see why SMS wouldn't have at least one small-size Ex-Gear sitting around (or if they were fully adjustable to the height of the wearer). But perhaps this is suited to the technology thread.

Fellas. Michael's death was done pretty damn well.

I agree. Now in the next episode we have something far more dangerous. A pissed of Meltron who is gonna stop at nothing to kill every flying Lobster she sees. Alot of power armor action in the next episode. And if she bites the dust then well....another great episode after that.

And So when Ranka sings....was she designed to control the Vajara? Cuz she starting singing and they came in swarms like Locus

By the way did anyone feel like this was a episode of Blue Gender?

If the Vajra had already become impervious to conventional weapons, how come we still see them being blown to bits by Alto, Michel, Quarter, Canaria, et al? Shouldn't the Macross fleet be massacred by now?

Unless...the Vajra that they're fighting now are from a different hive altogether. A hive that hasn't been updated of the battle data that the Vajra of previous encounters had accumulated.

But then, what about those that just folded in? Where did THEY come from if not from the main hives? THEY were still being blown to bits.

Probably there's no way to create a miniaturised version of the ECA which makes things in Macross impervious to conventional weapons. I wouldn't think too hard about it.

And as for the Vajra, they probably locked on to Ranka's "song of death" despite the Frontier jumping in a safe zone where the Vajra won't follow them to or the Vajra on the Frontier relayed the location to the reinforcements. Why they can be shot....shrug.

I loved the episode, but just like you, this is what bothered me the most about it. I could possibly understand the small Vajra not being able to adapt and just being cannon fodder. Just a less complex life form. Its the big red ones that I think adapt and none of the others. In the past episodes the yellow ones would get blown to bits but the red ones always survived and evolved. Now I know they were mass producing some dimension eater rounds, but those would have a different effect/animation than conventional weapons right? It looked like they were just killing the red lobsters in the space battle with regular ammo. Consistency! This episode would have been perfect had they done that...

Funny how the past 2 episodes took place all in one day. Parade for the memorial Aimo day celebrating escaping the Vajra, benefit concert, then interruption by a Vajra attack. So much for Ranka's holiday! ha! Also it was this same episode they were talking about making the DE rounds... don't think they would have been produced and fitted for use within hours...

Edited by condiment king

nah... these vajra are obviously not fully grown yet, so i'd expect the baby or kiddy vajra to be much weaker than adult types, and so they would probably have weaker armor and weapons.

snapshot20080822232645wk8.th.jpg snapshot20080822230333bw3.th.jpg snapshot20080822230941qt9.th.jpg snapshot20080822231037jh5.th.jpg snapshot20080822231835xc3.th.jpg snapshot20080822232335ab4.th.jpg snapshot20080822235146cw1.th.jpg snapshot20080822235201na7.th.jpg

seems like there could more more than one variation of this second evolutionary type vajra?

wings: white wings, green wings, no wings

legs: 2 legged, 6-legged

tailed and non-tailed

granted they have more or less similar shapes esp the main body, so maybe they can chose to "retract" those parts, or perhaps they are slightly different in stages of growth.

Edited by Shun

I was just left speechless at how wonderful this episode was. Not because they killed off someone I wanted dead (wishing it was Nanase <_< I still have hope tho! :rolleyes: ) but for the effect it left on me when it ended (yes tears were involved). So much that when I played DC first thing this morning in my car, I got moved again remembering it and got lil teary eyed AGAIN!. Still moved AGAIN when I saw the Youtube clip an hour ago. Very well done and I hate to love it. This just took my favorite episode spot from episode 6 (it had a touching ending). So yah...

Back to lurking... :ph34r:

nah... these vajra are obviously not fully grown yet, so i'd expect the baby or kiddy vajra to be much weaker than adult types, and so they would probably have weaker armor and weapons.

snapshot20080822232645wk8.th.jpg snapshot20080822230333bw3.th.jpg snapshot20080822230941qt9.th.jpg snapshot20080822231037jh5.th.jpg snapshot20080822231835xc3.th.jpg snapshot20080822232335ab4.th.jpg

seems like there could more more than one variation of this second evolutionary type vajra?

tailed and non-tailed

granted they might be more or less similar shape esp the body, so maybe they can chose to "retract" those parts, or perhaps they are slightly different in stages of growth.

yes but it still doesnt explain how the fully grown red ones that folded in were blown up so easily...

I was just left speechless at how wonderful this episode was. Not because they killed off someone I wanted dead (wishing it was Nanase <_< I still have hope tho! :rolleyes: ) but for the effect it left on me when it ended (yes tears were involved). So much that when I played DC first thing this morning in my car, I got moved again remembering it and got lil teary eyed AGAIN!. Still moved AGAIN when I saw the Youtube clip an hour ago. Very well done and I hate to love it. This just took my favorite episode spot from episode 6 (it had a touching ending). So yah...

Back to lurking... :ph34r:

don't worry, i'm sure more deaths are coming, esp berserk KK... :ph34r:

/runs

yes but it still doesnt explain how the fully grown red ones that folded in were blown up so easily...

I don't think they weren't the ones that Frontier left behind after the ultra long distance fold, but another swarm.

The series characterized Vajra as almost mindless drones that follow orders of a queen (which is embedded with a lot of fold crystals to control its own swarm). When they die, the send a message to their own queen. Probably the upgrades aren't shared to other swarms, because they are dependent on a queen.

FV

snapshot20080822232645wk8.th.jpg snapshot20080822230333bw3.th.jpg snapshot20080822230941qt9.th.jpg snapshot20080822231037jh5.th.jpg snapshot20080822231835xc3.th.jpg snapshot20080822232335ab4.th.jpg snapshot20080822235146cw1.th.jpg snapshot20080822235201na7.th.jpg

tailed and non-tailed

granted they have more or less similar shapes esp the main body, so maybe they can chose to "retract" those parts, or perhaps they are slightly different in stages of growth.

Condiment King said it: what about the "fully evolved" lobster Vajras that folded in?

But something struck me though: The Vajra are continuously evolving creatures correct? What if the trigger for their evolution is not simply due to their reaction to weapons, but to emotions in general?

For example, when Ranka was dreaming, she was dreaming about how she missed her mother. Aimo felt that emotion and was forced to evolve...into something (that we haven't seen yet). When Ranka sings, she also sends out her emotions through the fold waves incorporated into her singing (through the fold crystals in her stomach or whatever that is), and the Vajra are affected by it. Hence, when she sang the Aimo OC in this episode with pain in her heart, the Vajra used that pain to evolve into a different form/s reflecting that emotion.

You might ask: so how come the Vajra were affected differently before during the earlier times she sang Aimo OC?

Well, Ranka was more or less confused at this time. Aimo OC was certainly a huge departure from the original tone of her song. So it makes sense that the emotions she feels when singing it is that of confusion and doubt: something that the Vajra exhibited during Ranka Attack.

But then later on, Ranka sang with more conviction, with a desire to protect her friends and Frontier in general. Again you see here the different reaction of the Vajra. While most of them were still confused, this particular one red lobster latched on to Canaria's Koenig. What was it doing? It certainly didn't look to be trying to destroy the Koenig. Was it trying to protect Ranka inside?

I've been getting the vibe since the earlier episodes that the key to "defeating" the Vajra is through emotions, particularly peaceful and happy ones. It certainly fits Kawamori-san's themes of peaceful resolutions of conflict.

How do we resolve conflicts that are borne out of hatred? The people of Macross Frontier who have lost loved ones will certainly feel a lot of hatred towards the Vajra. But this hate would only make the Vajra stronger, and would make the conflict last longer.

I wouldn't be surprised that this is the ultimate message being sent to us by Kawamori-san and is certainly in keeping with the issues that we have in real life.

Hate begets hate. Love begets love.

And what better medium to convey the emotion of love than through singing?

Elmo perhaps, said it best: "If only we could have reconciled through song from the start, rather than through the violence of the First Interstellar War."

So yes, singing will once again save the day in Macross F. ^_^

well... I do have to say it stung somewhat, but lets face it guys, while easily among the most GAR ways to go out, it is simply because it is so GAR that I could not shed a tear for Michel. especially when one considers it next to Gurren Lagann's ending... that brought me to tears, and still does every time I see it.

michel died the death of a true warrior - successfully protecting his love and comrades (now I get broken up while writing this... talk about delayed reaction). Simon was the greater tragedy, as while he saved the world, and his love, he ultimately lost her by saving her - a loss so great that he was driven to disappear from the lives of everyone he knew - save boota - for what seems to be at least 10 years, with no end in sight. a greater Kobayashi Maru there cannot be (well... maybe, but it's damn hard to beat).

Michel's end however does rival Kamina's... I felt that loss as well. all in all I tend to be affected more by endings like Gurren Lagann's, the original Gunbuster, or heroic age... Glory really made me cry, as did Apollo 13.

Edited by Shaka_Z

I don't think they weren't the ones that Frontier left behind after the ultra long distance fold, but another swarm.

The series characterized Vajra as almost mindless drones that follow orders of a queen (which is embedded with a lot of fold crystals to control its own swarm). When they die, the send a message to their own queen. Probably the upgrades aren't shared to other swarms, because they are dependent on a queen.

FV

Good point. I was actually considering this myself. Its safe to assume that there are different Vajra queens controlling different swarms or hives in different parts of the galaxy. So it is possible that the Vajra that folded in are from a different swarm that are not yet impervious to conventional weapons.

But then, are the Vajra in Frontier also from this swarm? Or are they from somewhere else? More importantly, WHO and WHERE is their queen?

I don't see why this is a problem.

RESISTANCE to a weapon is not the same thing as IMMUNITY to a weapon.

Reaction warheads for example still vaporize yellow drones post 'evolution'.

The cannon fodder VF-25's weapons work on both yellows and lobsters as of episode 20

No armor is impenetrable, if you shoot it enough times in the same place, it WILL break.

For a real world example even the neigh indestructible M1A2 tank can be crippled through repeated attacks on its weak points (treads, rear engine, and turret ring).

I don't see why this is a problem.

RESISTANCE to a weapon is not the same thing as IMMUNITY to a weapon.

Reaction warheads for example still vaporize yellow drones post 'evolution'.

The cannon fodder VF-25's weapons work on both yellows and lobsters as of episode 20

No armor is impenetrable, if you shoot it enough times in the same place, it WILL break.

For a real world example even the neigh indestructible M1A2 tank can be crippled through repeated attacks on its weak points (treads, rear engine, and turret ring).

Uhm, I didn't see the Vajra eventually exploding when the Nuns, Alto and Co were continuously raining bullets on them last two episodes.

Only Brera's, Quarter's and Battle Frontier's Heavy Quantum Beams had any effect on them in those instances.

Which is why in this episode, the fact that the Vajra were being killed by conventional weapons stands out as odd, to say the least, and is a legitimate point of interest and discussion.

In the shelter, that kid, Eddy and his dad ... were they the son and husband of Canaria :o ?

Yes. Eddie questions, "Will we be all right?" and his father reassures him, "Don't worry, Eddie. Mother and the others will definitely - definitely - protect us."

"But I'm still scared, Papa..." "Don't cry. If it comes down to it, I'll give my life to protect you."

Edited by veffidas

and like I said earlier, until Ranka regains the ability to communicate with the vajra on a higher level than mere empathy - like she apparently could when she was a child before the 117th massacre - the vajra are going to continue this behavior. they can sense her emotional state as it is, and when they sense her pain, they act to protect her - note they were completely passive while she was on stage (and ecstatically happy), and did not become aggressive until after she got over the initial shock of the scene on the roof and started wishing herself (or everybody) dead. when she started singing after sheryl slapped her back to reality, she was still in pain, and the song acted as a beacon for the vajra to home in on - THAT is why Michel died I hate to say... if they had left Ranka somewhere to sing, all the vajra on frontier would have made a beeline to her, and things would have been controllable (Ranka was in no danger whatsoever), but of course, there is no way for anyone (even Grace) to have known this.

as a hive mind, the vajra dont have any idea that those kinds of feelings shouldnt be taken literally (they are reacting exactly like a beehive or ant colony, and they see her as a queen, to be obeyed and protected at all costs). this lack of understanding of the way humanoids think and feel is probably what led directly to the destruction of the 117th fleet... ie the vajra acted to protect ranka in reaction to a temper tantrum on her part, not understanding it for what it was.

thats my thoughts anyway...

Edited by Shaka_Z

not to mention,

Leon had the upper hand on Glass, and was able to set a trap - he won't have that advantage against ozma and cathy

still though this ep makes me seriously wonder what the hell LAI was thinking when they designed the ex-gear. it provides absolutely NO protection for the user's abdominals and thighs. granted, it was probably never intended to be more than a control interface and survival system for downed pilots... certainly not a frontline infantry combat suit.

It's not like we are in Mass Effect dude. Macross wars are fought with VF not armors. Macross definitely lacks a space marine style of combat unlike Mass Effect. After all, this is what you get from thinking with big guns and Michel paid for that.

Well Sheryl did get a chance to pilot the Blue VF-25 and that didn't turn out so well. I don't think she's gonna be piloting anything. She's in the same school, but not in SMS. I think she remembered her calling in this episode and is gonna go back to singing for the people. As for her slapping Ranka, it was a get a grip girl slap. A Minmay Slap. Hikaru did it to Minmay to shock her into listening. Too bad it didn't work to well with Ranka, but she did stop bawling and heard what Sheryl had to say to her. Remember it was Sheryl that encouraged Ranka to follow her desire to sing. I kinda saw Sheryl as Ranka's big sister/mentor even? Yeah she got jealous, but seriously who wouldn't after all the spotlights and your own manager shifted away from you to this girl you pushed forward into the light.

As much as I keep toying with the idea of Mikhail being saved, i do believe he's toast. Seeing the previews of the next episode makes me think that somehow the tide turns against the Vajra, the Cayeenes are cleaning house with the flame throwers (Aliens on a huge scale) and man....see that body count? People are mourning, mini-KK (post fight) needs alone time in Mikhail's fighter so she doesn't bite it in the next episode. I think those raging eyes of hers will occur early in the episode after she finish macronizing (is that even a word?).

You know I was just thinking Mikhail was a womanizer like Roy. Yes Roy was loyal to Claudia (sorry to use the RT name), but he was caught looking at Minmay's butt in SDFM. And they both kinda declared their love to their true love (Roy to Claudia (indirectly) and Mikhail to KK directly although he got cut off at the end of his I Love You declaration by the vacuum). His death scene was perfect, fight, life flashing before his eyes, declaration of love, and only a momento of him left. What great direction and voice acting. Speaking of voice acting...Man...can you hear the english voice dubbs? *Cringe* So yeah Mikhail's dead....sigh...I think I need a few days for greiving.... :blink:

I think Grace DOES knows a fair bit about Ranka's ability to empathically control (or at least influence) the Vajra through her singing. She deliberately changed the tone of Aimo into a battle song after all.

But yes, she did say in this episode that the situation was not as she expected. But both she and Leon looked to be VERY MUCH in control of it regardless.

I posted in the Episode 19 talk back thread that I was curious as to how Leon could justify to the populace his taking over the leadership of Frontier. Now I know. :mellow:

This is definitely the best overall Macross Frontier Episode so far.

Sheryl Nome has shown us that her strength is deep and true. Nothing like a bitch slap to beat some sense into a little girl who is lagging in the mental and emotional maturity department. Sheryl Nome has a supposedly terminal disease and her life's work on the career of her dreams has all but evaporated, yet she finds the strength to do all the right things a mature adult and professional should do given her exact situation.

Despite so many claims of Ranka being "loli", from my POV she is just a very young petite teenager. Loli? What's the deal with that? She might be really kiddy like in behavior and so on, but based on what I see so far her body is no child.

Hell Hath no Fury like a Heartbroken Meltran!

The only thing that isn't too manly about Alto is his hairstyle, and that's where it all ends. We are talking about a guy even the MAN Ozma thought was too reckless on the battlefield. RIP Michael Blanc (assuming he's 100% dead), he died the GLORIOUSLY in BATTLE, protecting the one woman he truly loves. This fits with both the Macross AND Klingon ideal of the perfect way to die. The gates of Valhalla and Stovokor are both open to him.

As someone pointed out, it could take over a minute to die a cold, slow and agonizing death in space. Since Michael had a hole through his abdomen, there's the problem of accelerated blood loss. The urban myth about people bursting up and dying in space within seconds simply defies the laws of physics. An average healthy human (reference species) has a BP of 110/70mmHg to 120/80mmHg, which frankly isn't THAT much (it's less than 1 bar), so there's no way a human would just balloon and pop within seconds, with human collagen as string as it is. In reality, human BP can SPIKE to extremes like 300mmHg for just over a second in EXTREMELY strenuous activity such as weightlifting hundreds of kilos, yet there is practically no real danger.

With Michael dead, then who is going to tell the rest of the young guys about the whole truth when the time comes? Possibly Klan-Klan? Her current emotional state might mean that the secrets die along with her too, unfortunately.

The Vajra attacks all reminded me of one thing: Zerg Rush.

It is now very unlikely that Michael could have somehow survived, though not 100% impossible. In Gamlin's case, all we saw was a surprise Kamikaze and a big explosion, and nothing else. Michael was impaled through his abdomen and spat blood, indicating that major internal damage must have occurred. If all major organs and blood vessels were missed, which does occur in real life, that would not have occurred.

Still wondering what Grace forced Brera to do.

It's not like we are in Mass Effect dude. Macross wars are fought with VF not armors. Macross definitely lacks a space marine style of combat unlike Mass Effect. After all, this is what you get from thinking with big guns and Michel paid for that.

T-Crush armors seemed more tougher than Ex-gears. Then again they were developed by a bunch of UN Spacy insurrectionist Zentradi/Protodevlin collaborators. (Macross 7 Trash)

at the very least, michel got punctured through a lung, which would easily explain all by itself his coughing up that much blood so quickly, yet still maintaining the ability to move and speak.

gah missed page 18 ownership by 1 post!!! :ph34r:

Edited by Shaka_Z

I was going to argue with you, but come to think of it, you're right.

It *is* Ranka's fault Michael is dead, because SHE kept the Vajra larva as a pet, her emotionless singing incited the Vajra to be MORE agressive, and while she is not directly responsible for Michael's death she did at least have a card to play in it.

Don't forget to blame Alto and Sheryl as well then. They were the one's who pushed her to start singing during the attack. I still don't get why there is so much Ranka-hatred. The writers/character designers obviously did not have it in mind for the viewer to hate her. Many of the criticisms leveled against Ranka have been seen in other characters, but nobody ever mentions a thing about it. Maybe it has something to do with mo-e hatred, but that says more about the viewer than the character...

don't worry, i'm sure more deaths are coming, esp berserk KK... :ph34r:

/runs

What? I never wished that on her but I so expect it now since her love died! But than his death would be in vain if she did that too! Atleast Nanase is out of the picture for now (I hope) which is where I like her! ^_^

And I saw a post a while on this thread about since Ozma has to go underground that would make Alto Skull Leader....I hope he gets some replacements because all he would have left is....Luca.... :huh:

I was kinda hoping too that Sheryl would become a pilot in Skull Squadron, but now shes back into singing and singing while piloting has already been done...so...I don't see that anymore.

Damnit let me go back to lurking! :ph34r:

Edited by Legend of TSXer

Don't forget to blame Alto and Sheryl as well then. They were the one's who pushed her to start singing during the attack. I still don't get why there is so much Ranka-hatred. The writers/character designers obviously did not have it in mind for the viewer to hate her. Many of the criticisms leveled against Ranka have been seen in other characters, but nobody ever mentions a thing about it. Maybe it has something to do with mo-e hatred, but that says more about the viewer than the character...

well... I dont hate her. I just know that the power she has over the vajra isn't quite what everybody onscreen thinks it is, and it isnt her fault that she's a vajra magnet - it is the fault of everyone around her (in her anti-vajra role) for not realizing it. that said, I dont see an Alto/Ranka pairing at all, as I see her having to lead the vajra away at some point - in a way making her own noble sacrifice.

Edited by Shaka_Z

I was kinda hoping too that Sheryl would become a pilot in Skull Squadron, but now shes back into singing and singing while piloting has already been done...so...I don't see that anymore.

maybe not a pilot herself, but if somehow she manages to become effective against the vajra she might find herself riding SIO (Song Interception Officer) on Alto's VF-25... now THAT would work - I think Alto would be damn near untouchable with her singing shotgun. she has the strength of will to keep singing under battle conditions, that much is for certain.

Edited by Shaka_Z

T-Crush armors seemed more tougher than Ex-gears. Then again they were developed by a bunch of UN Spacy insurrectionist Zentradi/Protodevlin collaborators. (Macross 7 Trash)

Thanks for the info. I did not know about that. Reading mangas is obvisously not my cup of tea. One thing : Do you know what happened with those armors because I never saw them on screen?

well... I dont hate her. I just know that the power she has over the vajra isn't quite what everybody onscreen thinks it is. that said, I dont see an Alto/Ranka pairing at all, as I see her having to lead the vajra away at some point - in a way making her own noble sacrifice.

I kind of see that as well. Ranka has obviously been sheltered her entire life, and in mo-e fashion, people like Ozma, Nanase, Alto, and Brera feel protective of her. Her development would be to gain some psychological strength (which she has shown on occasion), and reverse roles to become the protector instead. I think that Sheryl has been largely sheltered as well, after being found by Grace. However, I imagine she was probably "raised" by Grace, which could not have been very fun, but would probably have required her to grow up (and build barriers) real fast.

maybe not a pilot herself, but if somehow she manages to become effective against the vajra she might find herself riding SIO (Song Interception Officer) on Alto's VF-25... now THAT would work - I think Alto would be damn near untouchable with her singing shotgun. she has the strength of will to keep singing under battle conditions, that much is for certain.

That would be a hot coupling, right there.

how's that for a Triangler ending? Partners in bed and in the cockpit!? XD

While Michael's death wasn't Ranka's fault totally she had a little to do with it, but earlier posters are right, it's their own fault for not realizing exactly how Ranka's voice affects the Vajra and how it works. Like a kid playing with a loaded gun.

Edited by RF-26AAC

Deal with it, Michael is dead, and nothing short of major interference with the space-time continuum via time travel is going to bring him back. The End.

Yes, it sucks, but there it is.

-Kyp

If this is the case, expect to see the Enterprise-D with Picard saying "remodulate the deflector at frequency 234.7 to emit a bust of tachyon particles on Macross Frontier". :p

Edited by Macross007