Macross Frontier Episode 20 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 20  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! WHY!!?????)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I want everyone to DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!)

Just watched the episode but am I understanding it correctly and the only reason thousands of people are dieing/dead is because ranka got all pissed at alto for hugging sheryl... and the vajra have responded to her emotions before so... the last episode will be ranka growing up and not being such a child :huh:

poor Mikhail if only klan hadn't kissed him and confessed love he woulda lived longer :p

Edited by bob joe mac

I was always under the imppression that Kaifun's mother was Minmay's mother's sister, making them first cousins, and making the kiss more wrong.

Officially, there's no blood relation.

Which, of course, means Kaifun is adopted or one of his parents had a kid with an undefined third party.

Both Minmay and Kaifun are Linns. So IF japanese naming conventions for marriages follow western ones* , that means their FATHERS are the blood relatives, since the wives would both take their husbands' names.

But there's not a lot of background on that issue. Just a note in Kaifun's bio that he's not a blood relative.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Linn_Kaifun_%28Lynn_Kaifunn%29

*All I have to go on is Misa Ichijo and Millia Jenius. It's a bit of a stretch to take a pair of "near-future" cartoon marriages and apply that as the standard rule.

Grace 2.0 was reconstructed in Frontier, so It would be safe to say that such facilities are available in Frontier.

Can we stop arguing whether Michel will be back or not and just accept that he's in GARhalla now ^_^

I got Starship Trooper vibes when I watch Frontier troops fighting the bugs and got hugged/crushed by it.

I got Starship Trooper vibes when Michel got impaled like What's-her-name from the movie, after which Casper van Dien goes, "Aw, shucks. At least we got to knocking boots last night."

Or something to that effect.

The scene was quite similar, with the difference being that it wasn't the pining person who bit it, but the one who'd been pined for.

I think it's like the royal family JBO. Maybe the elite don't want to breed with the lower stock so in order to make sure the bloodline is preserved....it's like normal for them. :p

My theory is that brera was once raped by Ranka since Ranka is a zentradi and has a stronger body. Now keep in mind that scene early on when alto ranka and sheryl were all locked together inside some emergency underground room and they couldn't get out. Ranka couldn't let go of Alto and thought he was a beautiful woman. She was sexually harassing the princess alto and alto kept saying "no! no!" "Stop touching me!" But she enjoyed touching him and hoping to have sex there and then.

And so Brera also fell under this control and sexual manipulation on macross galaxy but it was FAR worse. And ranka, similar to what happened with guld in macross plus, forgot about the incident because she realised she had almost raped someone.

The bug weren't what caused her trauma. It was her physical strength and sexual agression. She may act all innocent now..but how do you know she isn't an agressive loli who rapes people?

I think what happened then was brera knew he had no control and demanded to be given a cyborg body so it would never happen again. You see with a cyborg body he feels no pain. That is the origin of how brera become a cyborg. He wanted to forget almost being taken advantage of by a stronger girl.

This is like what happened to miriya who wanted to die after being beaten down by a wimpy looking human guy with glasses. It was so humiliating to miria to be beaten by max that she couldn't live with the shame. So er yeah. Brera is like the new miriya. Even though brera was traumatised, perhaps he likes the idea of preserving Ranka's life and watching over her so that one day when her memory comes back he can show her who is the stronger one?

So what do you think of my theory? Yes my posts are all semi-jokes but macross you have to admit likes to play around with the hero archetypes and swap them around a lot. (ie singing girls defeating the tough war-hardened aliens, people with glasses being the most accurate shots, big-boobed glasses girls who traditionally are supposed to be the shy quiet and reserved characters being more sexy than the confident females, the main pilots all having long hair or hair that isn't practical etc)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah but there were tough zentradi women in macross 7.

Look at the drummer of basara's band? I bet she could beat the crap out of any of the male humans easily.

Ranka probably has war-like fighting instincts and after being rejcted by Alto, she wanted to take him by force.

The war-gene makes ranka stronger than a human. Guld almost raped myung macross plus. So Ranka tried something on Brera Stern. Brera can't live normally anymore since that day, and pretends to be tough by deiding to get a cybrog enhanced body; totally obsessed with the need to have 'control'.

..Just like Guld who needed to be in control of his valkyrie so he would never lose it (control) again like he did when he almost raped myung and hurt her.

Cool twist eh? SK had floating rocks. Come on. My idea isn't any more crazy than that is it?

Ranka lost her memory when her powers went out of control and destroyed all the inhabitants of macross galaxy. Just like that "Teresa" girl in space battleship yamato who had to live with the pain that her powers were too dangerous. All the experiments by the scientists on mayan island were possibly to try to control the birdhuman monster in the sea so they could tap into its power. She must have had some kind of power to cause all the bugs to destroy the ship which the corporations were experimenting on to see if they could use the beasts as weapons under their control. Maybe sheryl is linked to it. But since they found a stronger singer in Ranka (maybe they have anima spiritua instruments to measure the level of power coming out?) they can kill her now and destroy any evidence of the secret project they had which was to tap into the powers for use as weapons. Sheryl is now expendable.

Ranka is the queen, the monsters listen to her. If the secret mad scientists on galaxy wish for monsters to kill people they just get her to sing at the concert, plant some eggs. Destroy a nest to make the ants angry. Then get the singer to sing a song to lead the angry ants to the ship (because the fold crystals provide a signal for them to home in on) and destroy it. Biological weapons like the T virus in resident evil are probably their way of fighting since if they can breed the weapons it's cheap for them.

New UN spacy uses valks.

New Anti-UN uses bugs because they are outnumbered and need swarms of cheap 'soldiers'.

Arms researchers get rich selling newer versions of the weapons to either side. (maybe anti-un buys from the bad guys and nun buys from the good guys or they are both neutral and sell to both good guys and bad guys?)

There may be good songs (ones from ranka) which stop the bugs, and bad ones (like the song of destruction in macross zero) but either way, bugs are just the tools of the humans using them. When humans use violent attacks the bug use violent attacks. If humans sing a song about love, the bugs grow faster and 'heal' from the song energy we learnt of in macross 7 and macross zero where sara sang a song to make plants grow faster.

Get the idea? The ants would not have grown so fast if her healing song wasn't so powerful. So I bet ranka's singing just accelerated their growth. This is why the cybrog woman didn't expect it. she is only insterested in how the music can be used to counter the beasts (like a counter weapon) or lead them to the ship to guide them to where they need to fly to. Just as the music in macross plus was used by the AI to hypnotise people and put them under a spell.

Music can be used to manipulate (hypnotise like at the sharon apple concert to put people under a spell) or break the manipulation. (minmay's song, basaras awakening of the zombies etc) But remember that the feeling behind the song is projected from the singer to the listeners. So it's not just sounds but love, hate, sorrow, etc If the person's intent is to do harm then the monster probably responds to that like that Sara BirdHuman mecha in macross zero which had all kinds of destructive weapons.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Been a little behind on episodes and just watched this one. Gotta say I am absolutely sick of the stereotypical die as soon as love is confessed theme. It has been played out. I lost a lot of respect for the show and writers with that scene. Why don't they take a lesson from One Piece and have everyone live that's a "good guy". That'd be pretty different in a modern anime show.

The only way they can change my mind about that scene is if Brera picks him up in his fighter from space (b/c it was being remote piloted and thus had an open cockpit to pick someone up in). That would be different from the norm.

Been a little behind on episodes and just watched this one. Gotta say I am absolutely sick of the stereotypical die as soon as love is confessed theme. It has been played out. I lost a lot of respect for the show and writers with that scene. Why don't they take a lesson from One Piece and have everyone live that's a "good guy". That'd be pretty different in a modern anime show.

The only way they can change my mind about that scene is if Brera picks him up in his fighter from space (b/c it was being remote piloted and thus had an open cockpit to pick someone up in). That would be different from the norm.

Sorry, but he had a pretty big hole in him. And hard vacuum doesn't do nice things to people under the best of circumstances.

There's no believable way to bring him back.

The only way he survived is if they upload his brain to a new body, a la Grace.

Lacking any evidence that he was a cyborg in the first place(on the contrary, Frontier outlawed cybernetics), he's dead.

Certainly, the timing was cliche, but... it's been an incredibly fierce war. People die. Even the good ones.

At least Klan didn't go Romeo and Juliet on us.

Sorry, but he had a pretty big hole in him. And hard vacuum doesn't do nice things to people under the best of circumstances.

There's no believable way to bring him back.

The only way he survived is if they upload his brain to a new body, a la Grace.

Lacking any evidence that he was a cyborg in the first place(on the contrary, Frontier outlawed cybernetics), he's dead.

Certainly, the timing was cliche, but... it's been an incredibly fierce war. People die. Even the good ones.

At least Klan didn't go Romeo and Juliet on us.

The Klan Fanboy Rage if that ever happened would be EPIC. :ph34r: SK would certainly have to find the deepest hole where he can hide from the Klan Fanboy Rage. :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982