Poll: Is your v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?

miriya

Yamato v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Broken or Perfect? Lets see the numbers.

• Mine is Perfect! Thank you Yamato!
    • Mine is Broken! Thanks for nothing!
    • Mine is not broken or perfect but I have complaints.

DA---let us know if your replacement hinge has a smaller-diameter pin in it.

PS--do you need to take pics? I thought about it, but there's nowhere to attach them on Overdrive's "Macross parts request form".

I'm in no real rush to fix it just yet since I normally display/not play with my toys. I might just wait for the new shoulders, depends on if the crack enlarges or not.

Hey everyone, Im brand new here, so I guess this is also a howdy to the boards.

Anyway, I just recently learned about these new 1/60 VF-1 releases so I was thinking about getting back into collecting Macross figures again. However, with all this talk of the pins causing shoulder breakage ive been worried. My favorite Macross design is Roy Fokker's VF-1S, and since this was the first release its guaranteed to have its shoulders break if i purchase one.

I was wondering if there was any news of an improved rerelease or any way to fix the shoulder issue myself if i order one. I dont want to order replacement parts if they are just going to break too.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Ryan

Edited by Muzzy

Yeah...I think I might have messed up transforming somehow. I have no idea exactly what the eff I did, though.

But how did that happen? I mean, even on the V.2 1/60, that area is pretty much straightforward close back hatch, pull the backpack down and lock to the legs; transforming to fighter mode. Sorry that yours broke though.

But how did that happen? I mean, even on the V.2 1/60, that area is pretty much straightforward close back hatch, pull the backpack down and lock to the legs; transforming to fighter mode. Sorry that yours broke though.

IMG_1362.jpg

Somehow, those two bits got wedged up against each other. I think there was a teeny bit of pressure, and it got weakened by sitting in fighter mode for a week. Still...wtf. I didn't use any undue force or anything.

IMG_1362.jpg

Somehow, those two bits got wedged up against each other. I think there was a teeny bit of pressure, and it got weakened by sitting in fighter mode for a week. Still...wtf. I didn't use any undue force or anything.

I took a good look at the backpack of my VF1D (Don't have the VF1S) and found that the socket part of yours that broke has very little or very thin plastic that cup around that flap. The thing is, you're suppose to make a little adjustment - during transformation to fighter - when that hinge part bumps into the clamps underneath that hold the arms, you're suppose to lift the back pack a little so the hinge will fill into the a little gap behind the clamp. But still, I'm shocked to discover so little plastic on a part that is moving, that also has to endure accidental knocks like that. :blink:

got a question i wana ask u guys. does the 1/48 models have the same joint problem?

No. The only persistent breakage problem on the 1/48 toys is a part of the backpack called "BP-8" that can easily break under the weight of fastpacks, and even then it isn't a problem on all of them. Other than that it's pretty much a hearty beast.

No. The only persistent breakage problem on the 1/48 toys is a part of the backpack called "BP-8" that can easily break under the weight of fastpacks, and even then it isn't a problem on all of them. Other than that it's pretty much a hearty beast.

I would add that the hip joints (that hold the ball) are often broken on 1/48s although many people don't even realize it so it's not a big deal. If that piece of plastic breaks the legs just tend to move a hole lot easier than they ought to but usually they'll still hold poses just fine.

I would add that the hip joints (that hold the ball) are often broken on 1/48s although many people don't even realize it so it's not a big deal. If that piece of plastic breaks the legs just tend to move a hole lot easier than they ought to but usually they'll still hold poses just fine.

You mean those ring things? I thought they were meant to be like that? Or something else?

Pete

You mean those ring things? I thought they were meant to be like that? Or something else?

Pete

I'm wondering that, too. I've never heard of broken hip joints, and those rings have been cleanly split in half on every 1/48 I've had. Joints have always been nice and tight there, too.

Add me to the list of people with broken 1S Roy's, after months, after loosening the shoulders as soon as I got mine last fall, and bracing the hinges during posing, mine gave out, and I have been Yamatoed. The left shoulder hinge has a crack and it's cracked to the point where it's only held due to the bottom ring not cracking.

$140 for this thing(srp+EMS & HLJ 10% discount), and now a broken hinge.

I hope Overdrive gets the hinges with smaller diameter pins soon for replacements

No I am not one of the guys that throws mine across the room to test the strength of the pins nor did I try to reinact the scene where Hikaru and Kamujin fought to a draw. Nor was I recreating Roy's death from DYRL or Hikaru's descent into earth during "force of arms".

I handled mine a lot, it is a very, very durable toy except for those hinges. It is a highly playable collectors toy, it's disappointing that the hinges are the achilles heel of an otherwise sturdy toy. Yamato has been making strides towards higher durability, from the Destroids, to the relatively qc problem free SV-51 Nora and YF-21, both much more complicated designs than the v2 1/60 VF-1.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

My replacement roy shoulders arrived today both of them were already broken in the bag making me a saaaad panda.

Edit. Ok, so all four of my roy shoulders are broken on the burred end of the pin. If anybody has a roy with intact shoulders (don't think it won't happen to you - it will) I seriously suggest you remove the pins and sand the burrs off. You can't count on your replacement parts being any good so the "if it breaks I'll just get a replacement" mindset isn't really effective in this case.

Edited by Desty_Nova

My replacement roy shoulders arrived today both of them were already broken in the bag making me a saaaad panda.

Edit. Ok, so all four of my roy shoulders are broken on the burred end of the pin. If anybody has a roy with intact shoulders (don't think it won't happen to you - it will) I seriously suggest you remove the pins and sand the burrs off. You can't count on your replacement parts being any good so the "if it breaks I'll just get a replacement" mindset isn't really effective in this case.

That's it, I'm waiting until the hinges are fixed for sure before going for replacement parts. The whole point of replacement parts is to rectify being Yamatoed, not for it to happen again.

Hey guys,

A generic question but I have the Vf-0A with ghost and the thing came with 3 of the gun pods for the top of the plane and only 1 for the wings. I sent for the overdrive replacement thing. Sound like something they will cover? Oh and its suppose to come with 2 and 2.

I recently had my VF-1A's right shoulder hinge broken. I already glued the crack but the shoulder moves way too loosely now, so i'll probably need a new one. I'd take pictures but I don't really have a decent camera and it'd be hard to see the crack now that its glued anyway.

Transformed mine to gerwalk this morning and noticed cracks a both shoulder pins. No way to retract my perfect vote. Oh well, still a cool toy nonetheless.

:angry: that sucks man. Wait...which valk do you speak of? I have yet to transform my 1D into anything. The only problems I have heard of with this guy so far is the cockpit staying closed and I'm all good on that one. Have you gotten your 1D yet?

:angry: that sucks man. Wait...which valk do you speak of? I have yet to transform my 1D into anything. The only problems I have heard of with this guy so far is the cockpit staying closed and I'm all good on that one. Have you gotten your 1D yet?

This was Roy's VF-1S. Not sure if it was part of the first release or not. It's that big of deal though. I plan on seeing if I can get replacements from Overdrive. The 1D should be fine as I think it got the fixes probably before it went into production. My 1D is finally being processed by customs. It had been inbound into customs since April 3rd, but I learned from my wait on the TV Max that they can be slow sometimes. Guess I'll have to be patient until next week.

I'm going to wait till I know for sure that Overdrive is using the newly designed shoulders before I ask them for a replacement.

I have cracks in both shoulders and I've only transformed it into Gerwalk mode a few times while being careful.

Definitely not gonna buy any that have been made from the 1D and before. The new improved shoulders are supposed to be in all Valks made after the 1D.

David, take away my perfect vote too. Thanks.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

This was Roy's VF-1S. Not sure if it was part of the first release or not. It's that big of deal though. I plan on seeing if I can get replacements from Overdrive. The 1D should be fine as I think it got the fixes probably before it went into production. My 1D is finally being processed by customs. It had been inbound into customs since April 3rd, but I learned from my wait on the TV Max that they can be slow sometimes. Guess I'll have to be patient until next week.

Well, it's sad to say. But, I'm not surprised it was Roys 1S.

Cool deal and thanks.

That is a great idea David.