Poll: Is your v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?

miriya

Yamato v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Broken or Perfect? Lets see the numbers.

• Mine is Perfect! Thank you Yamato!
    • Mine is Broken! Thanks for nothing!
    • Mine is not broken or perfect but I have complaints.

Just ask for the shoulder hinges from overdrive and spiecify exactly what valk you have (ie. 1/60 Vf-1S Roy F...). I just got my new "shoulder" hinges and this is what they actually send you. Note that I removed the shoulder pads so that I could loosen the screws a bit.

Now I will have extra arms (minus hands) if I ever break them.

post-9075-1234368511_thumb.jpg

Edited by logos

Some people have been saying a week or two but for me it took about a month. Also cost me $18US with shipping to get them ($3/part and $12 shipping EMS). The longest part was waiting for them to get back to me and tell me they had the part and could ship it. Once I gave them my credit card info. it only took a week to get it. Check out the "Overdrive now offering replacement parts for Yamato" thread at the top of the toys forum.

Edited by logos

• 3 weeks later...
Have I mentioned that I never move the arms on any of them unless I'm also holding the "box" shoulder hing firmly?

This might help for those of you who are moving the arm on the joint without securing the box hinge - thereby taking that pressure off of it.

It doesn't help that much, that was one of the first methods suggested, as well as loosening the shoulder screws.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm very familiar with this thread, and I knew the danger of the parts and always handled my shoulders with extreme care, and upon my latest picture shoot with the VF-1D I finally developed the crack on one of my shoulders (and you better believe I'll be updating my review of the Focker this weekend). If anyone is keeping track my vote can be changed from perfect to "broken, thanks for nothing." Of course, I'm not all that upset. I immediately put in my request to Overdrive and am hoping for the best. My 1J and 1D are definitely amongst my favorite VF-1 toys still and I'm pretty sure it was just the Focker 1S that was the bad apple (although others might not yet have been perfect apples). My appreciation of the 1/48 did just creep up a tiny bit, I'm loving my Max TV-1A.

Edited by jenius

just keep playing with it while handling the hinges with care. Order some parts from overdrive and just mess around with the broken hinges to see how durable they are while cracked. That's what I'm doing and I'm having a blast. This way I'll know how to handle the other version 2's I get.

Well, I'm very familiar with this thread, and I knew the danger of the parts and always handled my shoulders with extreme care, and upon my latest picture shoot with the VF-1D I finally developed the crack on one of my shoulders (and you better believe I'll be updating my review of the Focker this weekend). If anyone is keeping track my vote can be changed from perfect to "broken, thanks for nothing." Of course, I'm not all that upset. I immediately put in my request to Overdrive and am hoping for the best. My 1J and 1D are definitely amongst my favorite VF-1 toys still and I'm pretty sure it was just the Focker 1S that was the bad apple (although others might not yet have been perfect apples). My appreciation of the 1/48 did just creep up a tiny bit, I'm loving my Max TV-1A.

So you got a crack on your D? Man that sucks. Means I'll probably/eventually be having to order shoulders of my D and my J....... :angry: ........ :mellow:....here's hoping I don't! :(

Edited by logos

Well I finally got my first V.2 1/60 yamato VF-1. It is not an S type but I thought to add here that my VF-1D is perfect and extremely tight and solid. I am very happy with it.

I am so sorry for those of you who are having problems with yours. That really blows. The the amount of money these cost they should not break so easity.

So you got a crack on your D? Man that sucks. Means I'll probably/eventually be having to order shoulders of my D and my J....... :angry: ........ :mellow:....here's hoping I don't! :(

Read his post again :

I'm pretty sure it was just the Focker 1S that was the bad apple

He's talking about his Roy 1S.

-Kyp

Yeah but he says this.

upon my latest picture shoot with the VF-1D I finally developed the crack on one of my shoulders

That's why my post was a question as it was a bit ambiguous. My J and D seem fine right now (except for my D shipping with a broken hip/nose cover :angry:) but Overdrive has gotten back to me and they will be shipping a new part. Shipping the whole Valk back from Canada to Japan is a bad idea financially and I can replace the part myself.

Edited by logos

I thought he meant the 1D at first too, but I'm pretty sure he meant the Roy because he mentioned he was going to update the Roy review. He probably had Roy out for some comparison shots with the 1D and noticed Roy's crack.

Perhaps Yamato purposely engineered this defect into Roy as a nod to his death? :p

Yeah but he says this.

That's why my post was a question as it was a bit ambiguous.

I know, I thought the same thing you did till I read the part that I quoted and re-read the whole thing again. It does make people think that it's the 1D he's talking about unless they read it carefully.

-Kyp

I don't know man, but it's painfully obvious that at least 50% of all the Roy 1S's that were released have this problem.

-Kyp

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was higher than that. There are a lot of people who keep their valks in the box or never transform them, so maybe they haven't noticed yet. It pains me a bit to think that the one I sold probably ended up breaking on the person I sold it to. It's a really unfortunate problem caused by (presumably) such a tiny, tiny mistake - inserting the pin the wrong way. Since that mistake is so easy to make it does make me a little afraid of every 1/60 V2 release because it could happen to any one of them. I think Yamato should re-think the shoulder piece completely to avoid all the stress that gets put on it, but that will only happen if sales and complaints they recieve warrant it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage was higher than that. There are a lot of people who keep their valks in the box or never transform them, so maybe they haven't noticed yet. It pains me a bit to think that the one I sold probably ended up breaking on the person I sold it to. It's a really unfortunate problem caused by (presumably) such a tiny, tiny mistake - inserting the pin the wrong way. Since that mistake is so easy to make it does make me a little afraid of every 1/60 V2 release because it could happen to any one of them. I think Yamato should re-think the shoulder piece completely to avoid all the stress that gets put on it, but that will only happen if sales and complaints they recieve warrant it.

If only they'd either make the pins smaller in diameter, or just make that hinge piece out of diecast, the problem would be solved.

-Kyp

Yeah but making it out of diecast would cause other problems. Like I said my J and D appear to be fine compared to my S (well here's hoping) which where supposed to have some fixes. Still doesn't mean I don't baby them but I am happy with my purchases none the less.

If only they'd either make the pins smaller in diameter, or just make that hinge piece out of diecast, the problem would be solved.

-Kyp

Again, Graham has already indicated somewhere (probably on the same VF-11 post) that Yamato will be using smaller pins on the shoulders after the VF-1D, which will hopefully resolve the shoulder problems.

-Kyp

Well, steel or aluminum anyways. Diecast maybe be hard and strong but it's also pretty brittle.

Well, steel or aluminum anyways. Diecast maybe be hard and strong but it's also pretty brittle.

You're right, I didn't think about that, aluminum would be best since it's also cheap.

Again, Graham has already indicated somewhere (probably on the same VF-11 post) that Yamato will be using smaller pins on the shoulders after the VF-1D, which will hopefully resolve the shoulder problems.

Awesome to know! That should pretty much wind up the shoulder problems then.

-Kyp

yep, it's "after the 1D" ... Graham's post - http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...0&start=560

Edited by m0n5t3r

...and noticed Roy's crack.

LOL... Roy has a "crack"??? :lol:

on a serious note... i'm pretty sure that the smaller diameter pin will solve the problem based on my manhandling of my Roy 1S after i modded the pins... i did notice some small lines/micro fractures on the sloped part of the hinge when i looked closer using a magnifying loupe, but it never developed into a crack that goes all the way though no matter how rough i handle it now... :)

My Roy (1st edition) :o hv a crack line on left hinge & a small broken piece off the right hinge. Same as Mon5t3r, my prblm did not extend all the way on entire hinge, so both hinges still functioning well, tough guy! Anyway getting the replacements fm Overdrive just in case.

i did notice some small lines/micro fractures on the sloped part of the hinge when i looked closer using a magnifying loupe, but it never developed into a crack that goes all the way though no matter how rough i handle it now...
Was that before your mod?
I've updated my previous 1/60 posts to include that picture.

That's how the left shoulder hinge is starting to look like on mine too.