Poll: Is your v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?

miriya

Yamato v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Broken or Perfect? Lets see the numbers.

• Mine is Perfect! Thank you Yamato!
    • Mine is Broken! Thanks for nothing!
    • Mine is not broken or perfect but I have complaints.

I got it when this thing was first released. Before the re-issue. It's only recently that I opened it up.

Whether it's a "first production" or a "re-issue" has nothing to do with it if I'm not mistaken. Graham has already stated that Yamato have not made any changes in the method of construction of the shoulder part in ANY of the VF-1 1/60 version 2s.

ALL they have done, according to our annointed blessed leader of Macrossworld The One, is "tell the factory workers to be more careful when inserting the pin."

However - considering that the 1Js and 1As and a large (70-80%) portion of the 1Ss were all perfect, I think this "be careful inserting the pin" thing is also kind of moot.

I have no clue what could possibly have caused some of the 1Ss shoulders to crack like that except for a design flaw - but it's not happening on 4 of my 5 fighters and the fifth was epoxied (hairline crack) and is fine.

Feel like a broken record sometimes :)

Pete

Whether it's a "first production" or a "re-issue" has nothing to do with it if I'm not mistaken. Graham has already stated that Yamato have not made any changes in the method of construction of the shoulder part in ANY of the VF-1 1/60 version 2s.

Pete

Seeing as the majority of the complaints come from the first production run, I'd say it definitely has something to do with it. After that production run, the story goes, Yamato instructed the factory workers to be more gentle with the shoulder and since then the failure rate has gone way down. Yamato's thinking is that the shoulders are breaking because the pin was being hastily installed and flexing/damaging the plastic around it.

Not enough hands on testing to utterly decimate the problems before production.

Actually - now that I think about it - it's something even more simple.

A HUGE amount of people who had crack, had it out of the box. I have also had crack out of the box.

Literally - you just spread the legs and there's the crack.

Don't need to transform anything.

So - the deduction from this is that they were not careful when just simply checking that the product that was being packed into the box was not crack.

?

Pete

So - the deduction from this is that they were not careful when just simply checking that the product that was being packed into the box was not crack.

A problem which could have been easily avoided through thorough testing and handling. If it was such a simple matter as to just being careful when inserting the pins at the factory, it is such a simple, yet costly mistake that could have easily been avoided.

well Roy lost the the right arm today

the right arm did not have a sign of crack like the left arm .... but it broke

:(

well will need to get replacement parts for both side for me

The V2 is a faillure for me in term of durability and I will not get anymore...

1/48 Forever

I have seven and all are perfect

Literally - you just spread the legs and there's the crack.

Dude. I was lucky I wasn't drinking anything while reading your post. :blink::blink::rolleyes:

Anyhow, did anyone try filing down the pin before replacement? I'm ok with mine since I tend to leave it in fighter -- my preferred mode, so beyond the initial superglue on the first cracked shoulder, I didn't do much on it.

EDIT: Anyhow, the theory's not quite correct. One of my shoulders cracked first, then the other, and there was a gap of a few months between the two. I'm sure that both didn't crack together because I inspected both shoulders carefully when the first crack developed.

It could be bad handling at the factory causing a weakness, but frankly it smells more of too-tight tolerances.

Edited by Lynx7725

since my hinge broke and I'm currently waiting for my over drive replacement that are stuck in customs for eternity, I've been manhandling and transforming the hell out of my VF-1S Roy and the hip joints have become a bit loose, it still stands with no problem, but I'd like them to be tighter, any ideas on how to tighten this??

I tryed tightening the screw near it like the YF-19 trick but it's not the same...

Good Gosh guys...

Whenever I come into this topic, I feel like I've just entered the Cancer Ward or a Morgue! I have 5 beautiful version 2 VF-1s behind me as I write and all of them are doing fine, even shoulder hairline cracked Roy. No further breakages have developed, and all of them are angry that one of my 1Js got to play with Minmey and they didn't...

Pete

This IS the thread to complain about broken VF-1s afterall. Besides, its not like m0n5t3r or theApeiron threw their toys against the wall or dropped it against the floor and it broke-- their toys are getting worn down or broken in normal play. Loose hip joints should be expected, I guess, but a broken foot is a no-no in the durability department.

Even if Yamato repairs the issue or not, the problem is so minuscule and so easily corrected, it’s not even an issue compared to what other companies are releasing these days…

The VF-25 DX have ultra tight shoulders which break, leaving half of the screw embedded within the broken piece – making any repair attempts impossible.

The 1/60s on the other hand only have a hairline crack which is easily fixed with some super glue, even if it breaks apart – hardly any cause for alarm. If one does encounter the crack, just hold onto the piece while moving the arm and nothing can happen.

Both my 1st issue Roy and Hikaru have been transformed multiple times (Roy nearly 80 times – 3 to 5 times a day) with no crack in sight.

Bring on the Vermilion squadron! B))

This problem is not miniscule to me. I had wanted to get a version 2 1/60 VF1 for the longest time now but was not confident until I read up on improvements made to this hinge problem... what surprises me instead is how you guys are actually okay with the breakage. So I guess I won't be buying any for the foreseeable future.

The 1/60s on the other hand only have a hairline crack which is easily fixed with some super glue, even if it breaks apart – hardly any cause for alarm. If one does encounter the crack, just hold onto the piece while moving the arm and nothing can happen.

No. Bracing the arm does not prevent breakage. Not sure if you knew this, but I was one of the ones advocating loosening the shoulder screws, in hopes of preventing breakages, way back in fall. If the superglue was such an easy fix that wasn't a band aid and actually worked, then none of us would be so vocal about the breakages.

The VF-25 DX have ultra tight shoulders which break, leaving half of the screw embedded within the broken piece – making any repair attempts impossible.

Not a widespread problem. Is it bad? Yes. Is it easier to fix as a whole? Yes. There is one guy on here that just used a screw from an older toy and it was all a matter of changing out the screw.

Both my 1st issue Roy and Hikaru have been transformed multiple times (Roy nearly 80 times – 3 to 5 times a day) with no crack in sight.

Good for you. I've transformed mine more and mine has a crack.

what surprises me instead is how you guys are actually okay with the breakage. So I guess I won't be buying any for the foreseeable future.

This isn't an insult to MacrossWorld, but look where you're at. It's not surprising that people are okay with it. People here are content with buying potentially broken figures(or figures that will inevitably break) for the sake of anime accuracy(or something close). They can live with it, and are happy with it.

what surprises me instead is how you guys are actually okay with the breakage.

No body is ok with breakage. I've had 3 Yamato Valkyrie come with a defect out of the box over the entire span of collecting them. Each time, I was not "ok" with it, and I would prefer it if this kind of thing didn't happen to me or other people.

That said, I think the problem is over-exaggerated. If you only buy one Yamato fighter every once a blue moon, and you happen to get a broken one, I can see how that would convince you that it's not worth "risking" to get more.

But - I have a relatively large collection of very well built, durable and beautiful Yamato pieces, so the risk I run is low relative to what I already have.

I mean - am I going to suddenly stop collecting these things if, once every 7 or 8 Yamato fighters, I get a dud?

No.

I'm gonna be annoyed, peeved, and go find a non-dud and that's it.

And I'm not anti-Bandai either. I have a ton of their products. I'm just anti-DX because I think it is a big let down for reasons already mentioned at numerous times.

For those who fear the v.2 1/60 line - my advise is: DON'T! It's worth getting.

Pete

The sad part is that the design and the small parts used will break anyday

in addition the movement allowed by V2 on the arm will for sure generate cracks and the arm will just break

the arm does not lock into place

sorry but buying a valk and being forced to be extra carefull is not really acceptable

V2 owners can not recommand this bird really... it is non sense to recommand a toy that has almost 20% of chance of being broken in early stage

and this rate is getting bigger with time

the scary thing is that I know a person that owns 2 and both are broken

sorry sorry but the figures talk by themself here

Edited by Ghostkiller

That said, I think the problem is over-exaggerated. If you only buy one Yamato fighter every once a blue moon, and you happen to get a broken one, I can see how that would convince you that it's not worth "risking" to get more.

I've long argued that the fragility of Yamato's toys is far exaggerated, but this shoulder hinge issue is ridiculous. You mean to tell me that exponentially complex figures such as the SV-51 Nora and YF-21 can come out of the factory problem free, but that Yamato didn't take the time to find out if the VF-1 shoulder hinges would break before releasing it? A tiny pin that probably doesn't even cost a dollar can ruin a $100+ toy? Really?

For those who fear the v.2 1/60 line - my advise is: DON'T! It's worth getting.

My advice is to buy at your own risk and wait until the fixes are implemented; if they will be implemented.

They do

The sad part is that the design and the small parts used will break anyday

in addition the movement allowed by V2 on the arm will for sure generate cracks and the arm will just break

the arm does not lock into place

sorry but buying a valk and being forced to be extra carefull is not really acceptable

V2 owners can not recommand this bird really... it is non sense to recommand a toy that has almost 20% of chance of being broken in early stage

and this rate is getting bigger with time

the scary thing is that I know a person that owns 2 and both are broken

In general I agree with your post. But given that not everyone's 1s strike broke and even among those that did break the actual breakage was random, some on top, some on the bottom some left and some right. And then given that the later releases have been more or less problem free... I'm not sold on the the idea the problem is 100% design/materials based and not manufacturing based as claimed by yamato.

All I know is the the other shoulder on my 1s strike is fine and the shoulders on my 1j are fine.

without any real numbers or tests, all we're doing is running speculation based on anecdotal evidence but I can't blame us, after all, it's Yamato's own tainted record that lends credibility to these theories.

Urgh....i transformed my 1/60 Roy once....and after hearing reports of the weak hinge, i never dared to touch it again and left it on display. I decided to check up on Roy today and voila....crack visible in left shoulder. :(

So uhhh....which page of this thread shows me how to temporarily fix this or at least how to replace it after I get parts from overdrive?

I forgot if the page is here or in a separate thread, but m0n5t3r's fix was to remove the pins from the hinges, sand down the burr edges, then reinsert the pins. Before doing so, apply super glue to the crack, and let it dry.

Shoulders ruined? Yeah. Broke is broke.

oooh, good point. Some of the 1st run broke. Now we're 4 issues in and few if any reports of breakages. So, I guess not broke is not broke. :rolleyes:

This reeks of BP8, some problems only afflicting a few valks, couple of people moaning about it for years.

Edited by eugimon

Reading all these is what keeps me from buying a Yamato, well also the price and the plastic they use, although I always wanted the VF-1D and might buy it since it's not that expensive. I guess it's all about the nostalgia for the first series and Bandai toys.