Mass Effect

I'm not sure the planets had enough going on to make them worth adding special gravity effects to each one (even if there were only say 4-5 different settings). To really make the gravity thing pay off, the planets would have needed to be much more varied both in terms of layout, and what you could actually do on them. I liked being able to actually explore all the planets in ME1 so those features would have been great, but from a practical standpoint I can understand why Bioware didn't go that route.

Just bought ME2 recently and ran through my first play. Bothered to go through Firewalker and Overlord, mainly to level before the "point of no return" missions. Good grief I hate the Hammerhead missions. Give me a good infantry crawl any day (with my Widow in hand! :lol: ) over a Hammerhead mission.

Fantastic, thanks for letting me know for certain. I was ready to do New Game + as a Soldier on ME1. Managed to get to level 57 using all achievements in Mass Effect 1, but that was as a Paragon. I imagine as a Renegade you might be able to reach level 58 in one play-through, but it appears as though BioWare has deliberately prevented a person from reaching level 60 in a single game, even including the experience bonuses that come with the achievements and the ME1 DLC. I've never even played through as a soldier on the first game even though I have all of the achievements, but the bonuses for the soldier on the second game sound worth trying.

I look forward to playing Mass Effect 2. Many times. I hope BioWare has good luck with their movie ventures. I know I'm eager to find out what they come up with.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake

It's nigh-impossible to hit 60 on a single new game+, you have to plot every encounter, use every trick like getting out of the Mako etc and may just BARELY get it during the final battle. Many people (including me) can hit 58, 59----but 60? Usually takes another half-game or so, due to how the exp scales.

no word on ME3, even an official announcement. I think the next ME game is supposed to be some sort of multiplayer combat type game that takes place in the ME-verse but isn't focused on the Shepard storyline.

If that's what it turns out to be, I'm pretty ambivalent on it. The combat in ME2 was much improved from the first game but it's not good enough for me to pay 60 bucks just for more of that.

What would a prequel even entail with Human characters? About all you could do is the first contact war with the Turians, and as I recall there wasn't much conflict past the initial ass whooping the Turians gave.

As for the multiplayer theory...I can honestly say that, at least right now, if it isn't about Shep and it isn't ME2 dlc or ME3 then I just dont care.

Making ME even LESS of an RPG would kill any interest I have in it. A pure action/shooter set in ME universe? Utter pass. With how rare biotics are, especially pre-ME1, it'd pretty much be limited to soldier/sniper.

And you know, it's not like we need yet another Halo clone to go shoot aliens with high-tech-armored space Marines...

Exactly, they already strayed a bit too much away from the RPG thing in ME2. I liked it, but it was just missing certain things that I really enjoyed in 1. In any case, if they move more more away from the RPG elements, that will just kill it for me. Though I could probably be suckered into 3 to finish Shep's story. I have faith they'll keep ME3 at least in the RPG category.

I like what I'm seeing. I had no problem with the streamlined gameplay in me2 and I wouldn't mind at all if me3 continues at that level though I would like to see more armor customization. The idea of total war on earth is great though.

I felt the combat was a little too streamlined. One of the joys of the first game, or any RPG for that matter, is levelling up your character and mowing down tones of level 1 critters that gave you nightmares at the start. In ME1, I started off poorly with the sniper rifle but rationed my XP properly and by the end I could put a bead on any geth I desired at range in a windstorm. That sense of progression was missing from ME2, and I miss that.

I felt the combat was a little too streamlined. One of the joys of the first game, or any RPG for that matter, is levelling up your character and mowing down tones of level 1 critters that gave you nightmares at the start. In ME1, I started off poorly with the sniper rifle but rationed my XP properly and by the end I could put a bead on any geth I desired at range in a windstorm. That sense of progression was missing from ME2, and I miss that.

Really? I had just the opposite reaction. I've always felt bioware's only fault as a developer was that by the end of their games your character was just too obscenely powerful.

ME was woefully balanced. By the end of the game your pistol had more firepower than the MAKO's heavy gun and biotics like Singularity could suck an entire warehouse full of bad guys to their doom. Playing at higher levels of difficulty did nothing to help this since it just meant that now the enemy had ridiculous levels of armor and could spot you from way beyond visual range.

ME2 fixed this by still having cannon fodder for a high lvl character to mow through (husks) while introducing progressively more powerful enemies into the mix as the story progressed. So it kept the gameplay challenging while still allowing you to feel badass as you vaporized hoards of mindless husks with a well timed shockwave.

ME2 also made the various types of guns actually useful as they affected different stats, armor, shields, biotics. And while in ME a handgun could snipe nearly as well as an actual sniper rifle, ME2 had actually had (some) consideration into range and accuracy (of course they ruined this with the weapons pack and the uber handgun of uberness).

And you're not wrong on any of your points. My big beef was the lack of skilled progression. As I said, in ME1 I started off with the sniper scope bouncing around like a demented five-year-old on a trampoline, and by the end of it my character was rock-steady in aim. That's what I missed when I transitioned to ME2.

ME2 fixed this by still having cannon fodder for a high lvl character to mow through (husks) while introducing progressively more powerful enemies into the mix as the story progressed.

Sez you. I hate husks. Hate hate hate hate hate. :lol:

I found ME2 bosses easier to deal with than the mooks. Mostly because I use the stealth class, which meant I stack damage upon damage with cloak and warp ammo. That I focussed quickly to unlock Assassin Cloak meant I was able to deal with big bosses very quickly, but had poorer ability against mooks.

Generally speaking I found earlier combat in ME2 challenging, since nothing in the arsenal save for heavy weapons had one-shot take down ability (even with cloak -- warp ammo had to wait till Jack unlocked it). Once the Widow became available though, it became so obscene that I switched to Tempest SMG as my main weapon, and started lugging the Cain.

Never found the uber handgun great, but that's just me (and my Widow. :) ). It was very useful in the "shoot tubes" scenario though.

Actually there was a difference in ME2 between a starting sniper and a maxed out sniper -- the "slowdown" time span while scoped in is very much lengthened when you max out the sniper skills. This makes it much easier to snipe moving enemies, especially for headshots which stacks even more damage.

Well, I was wrong. I just hope it doesn't focus solely on Earth and turn into a shooter with a few RPG elements. I also hope that my decision to save the Rachni back in the first game will have a significant outcome in the 3rd game. At least show them as part of the combined fleet, ya know?

Another question for you lads. I still haven't started ME2, but is the Soldier as effective with the sniper rifle as the pure Sniper class is? Will I be able to max out Sniper Rifles AND Assault Rifles, or has the point system changed dramatically from the first game. I want to try out the soldier because of that time-slowing ability, whatever the heck it is called.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake

Another question for you lads. I still haven't started ME2, but is the Soldier as effective with the sniper rifle as the pure Sniper class is? Will I be able to max out Sniper Rifles AND Assault Rifles, or has the point system changed dramatically from the first game. I want to try out the soldier because of that time-slowing ability, whatever the heck it is called.

I didn't play with a Soldier on my first pass, I did the Infiltrator route. I think it's a no, as a maxed sniper can evolve the basic cloaking into some serious snipe bonuses. The ability to scope out from far away with time-dilation makes a maxed sniper VERY good at killing mini-bosses and stripping bosses.

That's not to say the Soldier won't be effective with a sniper rifle, I understand a maxed Soldier with its key class skill selected would still make a pretty mess with it... but I suspect a Soldier would make a prettier mess with an assault rifle/ LMG.

EDIT: To note, the skill changes from ME1 and 2 appears significant by your question. The skill with weapons is more tied to the class and one in-game choice. Once you unlocks the ability to use a weapon there's really not much skill increases, just tech increases. I stuck with the Infilitrator class and choice all the way, so it got pretty messy quick (for the enemy), but always did suffered from an inability to crowd control, which the Soldier would be able to do better IMO.

Edited by Lynx7725

Well, I was wrong. I just hope it doesn't focus solely on Earth and turn into a shooter with a few RPG elements. I also hope that my decision to save the Rachni back in the first game will have a significant outcome in the 3rd game. At least show them as part of the combined fleet, ya know?

You no longer add points to the weapon skills to become better with them. You just get a better gun

The only thing ME3 doesn't need is a new "gather the squad" theme. It was fine in the first game, and worked surprisingly well (and against my expectations) in the second, but doing it a third time would be just a touch much. They already have enough characters and plotlines and romances and cheating and backstabbing to deal with as it is. Wrap them up, give us a good send-off with the existing cast, and save any new characters for another game.

The only thing ME3 doesn't need is a new "gather the squad" theme. It was fine in the first game, and worked surprisingly well (and against my expectations) in the second, but doing it a third time would be just a touch much. They already have enough characters and plotlines and romances and cheating and backstabbing to deal with as it is. Wrap them up, give us a good send-off with the existing cast, and save any new characters for another game.

I agree. So far, by the looks of it, we might be gathering fleets instead of companions this time. I just want Wrex back.

We really shouldn't NEED to gather fleets, in ME2 you could essentially have entire races pledge their allegiance and resources to you. I mean, we might have to do a little traveling to call in all the favors and promises given, but we shouldn't need to do much for many of the games primary races.

I do find it curious that they chose Earth for the end of the game seeing as how well...nothing has taken place on Earth (at least that the player participates in). Still I'm looking forward to this and I really cant wait to see how they wrap it all up.

I would like to see less ME2 and more ME in this final installment. I want a few more traditional RPG elements put back, bring the level cap up higher and give us a happy medium between ME and ME2s inventories.

We really shouldn't NEED to gather fleets, in ME2 you could essentially have entire races pledge their allegiance and resources to you. I mean, we might have to do a little traveling to call in all the favors and promises given, but we shouldn't need to do much for many of the games primary races.

I do find it curious that they chose Earth for the end of the game seeing as how well...nothing has taken place on Earth (at least that the player participates in). Still I'm looking forward to this and I really cant wait to see how they wrap it all up.

I would like to see less ME2 and more ME in this final installment. I want a few more traditional RPG elements put back, bring the level cap up higher and give us a happy medium between ME and ME2s inventories.

Well, the state of those fleets and the specific composition of them could be really different and a bunch of those races REALLY don't like each other, so there's a lot of story to mine there.

And more Ashley. I also dream of a catfight between Ashley and Miranda, but hope does spring eternal... ;)

This might be pretty obvious but I'm thinking that your choices in ME1&2 will dictate how badly Earth is scorched (duuuuuuuur), and how big the "Allied fleet" is going to be.

- If you saved the Rachnids you will get support from the creepy crawlers

- Of course saving the Council will bring the Asari, Turian, and Salarian space navies.

- Wrex not dying, ensuring that Grunt survives, and curing the Genophage (presumably in the third game) will unite all the Krogan clans for some insane infantry shock troop support.

- If you slept with anything & everyone Shepard will die of Space-AIDS before the final battle.

A "gather the fleet" game would be possible, but it seems to be out of place. Shepard has usually been about commando action, not full blown military... most of the time he had to buy his own gun.

As for ME3 taking place on Earth... well, seems like Shepard ticked them off fierce. And really, when a Reaper fleet is loose in the galaxy, it really doesn't matter whether it's Earth or Illum or Tuchanka, everyone's getting crapped upon.

Maybe a "Road to Earth" kind of approach. Start from the Citadel, then fight your way to Earth, only to turn around and head back to the Citadel as the Reapers return there...

I'm on my 2nd runthrough of ME2. Truth to be told, with less combat and more RPG, the game is probably not as replayable. I find myself skipping a lot of the RPG dialog option and going to the combat for replayability. I think the ME2 balance between action and RPG is about right.. just spare me two things, the mining and the vehicle exploration (which unfortunately both seems to be back in ME3).

Oh yeah. You guys think Reapers are bad? Every system Shep has pass through was left depleted of resources. Reapers might kill everyone outright, but Shepard leaves them to rot and starve by stripmining everything from a planet... :lol:

I was originally waiting for the PS3 release of the second game to experience this series for myself, though thanks to a random decision to buy an Xbox 360 this week, i did just that with a copy of the first game. Been playing for a few days, and easily having one of the best gaming experiences of my life. Bioware sure do deliver.

Did we somehow all miss this?

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/MESS/ME2ColoringBook.pdf So many references/in-jokes.

Oh my, how incredible. So printing this out. :p