Macross Frontier Episode 13 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 13 rating  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 13 Rating

• Positive (OMG!!!!! MACROSS!!!!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Talk about Jumping the Shark...)

*waves arms frantically up and down* BUT I CAN'T EVEN TOUCH MY CHICK CAUSE SHE'S A LOLI!!!! ;_;

Even if she wasn't a loli miclone, in that context we all like her a lot more in macronized form. ;)

With epi. 14 coming, I want to say Rest In Peace Global, you're debut in MF surely makes us shock/grief/anger and its probably one of the best WTF scheme in Macross franchise. May your ruin find eternal peace inside the dimension eater guts.

Actually the ruin was destroyed when the Vajra Mothership/Hive rised... :unsure:

Wow, you love her for all the wrong reasons :lol:

If I had that gif of Klan slapping Michel's valk I'd say you would deserve that for saying such of Klan. Meanwhile I love Klan for all reasons right or wrong.

Well...watched this finally. Lunar subs. My thoughts:

1. Wow! Diamond Crevise just started playing on my computer as I sat down to write this! How appropriate :)

2. Err... actually really number one in terms of thoughts... : The pace has suddenly switched gears into lightspeed! Sure, Leon hinted that the planet was "important," but episode 12 seemed to be more of a nostalgic romp and one really had no clue things would develop as they did. Albeit; I guess sending the 33rd Marines there WAS, as some pointed out, meant to lure the singers to the planet. And now it's obvious that Grace has been poisoning Sheryl, hoping she'd collapse and therefore necessitating the coming of Ranka - although, to be perfectly honest...it all went a little bit TOO according to plan! I mean - things just fell so perfectly into place that it's strange.

3. So, Leon is a total stooge; a spy, a double agent serving not his President, but his puppet masters. And Cathy is a complete and under idiot. She is the stupidest character in this entire series. Sorry to say it so harshly - but how could she NOT have noticed Leon was a stooge? I mean; she sleeps with the guy, dates the guy, is on personal terms with the guy - and she doesn't ever at all - not once - suspect that something is wrong? And honestly, I don't think her recent "loss of interest" in Leon has anything to do with suspicions - it was rather because of Ozma being wounded in episode 3 - she suddenly felt a pang of emotion and upon seeing him next time...and again and again - that emotion remained. So she kind of edges off of Leon because her emotions for Ozma are still there - not because she's become suspicious of Leon. She has failed in her role as a military officer, as a daughter and as a woman. She sleeps with a creep, who steals and lies and decieves her government, she treats her exboyfriend who is a cool guy like dirt AND she doesn't do anything but throw up during the battle with the Vajra. Cathy is a beautiful, but ultimately totally weak woman who would make a good housewife - but she clearly can't handle her life as it is now. Ok - maybe she's not an idiot; maybe she's a victim of circumstance... :(

4. Speaking of idiots and victims of circumstance...Sheryl...so "smart," so "sly," such a gifted "manipulator" - and she gets totally pawned by Grace. Happens to the best of us I guess.

5. Speaking of Grace - her "entrence" as a double agent was certainly abrupt and totally "unexpected" - very sudden. Sure, some hints and theories came up earlier - but here she just breaks out into demon mode. But...did she "die?" Or was she folded away along with the planet? And where did they fold to? My guess: They are out to FINALLY FIND THE PROTOCULTURE AND TAKE THEIR TECHNOLOGY.

6. Alto ONLY NOW realized how Ranka felt?! Jeeeeeez! To quote the bridge bunnies from SDF M TV "He's a little dense?" .... :)

7. Mikhael and Sheryl?? Anybody going for it!? I am! The two work perfectly together! Sure, Mikheal is just a womanizer and a flirt, so it's not that he's hitting on Sheryl as such - just on "another girl" - still - it's fun to watch! In fact - I now believe that Mikhael had an ulterior motive for proding Alto to open himself up to Ranka... what a sly fox! He was just waiting to move in on Sheryl :) Somebody should finally sic Klan Klan on this dude :)

8. Err...so...where is this Journal of Gloval? Talk about throwing a curve ball!

I interpret this episode as the end of the mild "character building" and "getting to know everybody" segment of the series and the beginning of a focus on larger plot points. A pity - as I liked the former; albeit the latter is necessary and fun.

Did anyone catch the Ivanov homage in Alto's lines spoken to Brera Stern during their dogfight? Not only that - but a Shin Homage with the Cobra Maneuver! Cooool!

Things are picking up! Let's see where it goes!

The Aliens homage was - thankfully - limited to egg crapping - which is fine. I was afraid that we'd get a full on Aliens thing going; but they didn't do that in episode 7, and thankfully didn't do that here. Macross homages are one thing - those make sense - but "ripping off" of other franchises I don't like - I want my Macross fairly unique. But ok - one egg crapper does not a ruinous event make.

Bomba!

VFTF1

If I had that gif of Klan slapping Michel's valk I'd say you would deserve that for saying such of Klan. Meanwhile I love Klan for all reasons right or wrong.

:ph34r: Oh yeah...And the fact that she is also a smoking hot meltran has noting to do with it too...... ;):lol:

Sooo....you're into corpses? Cool. Cool.

VFTF1

Pah! I said preferED :p this show's much more bout your tastes than mine :ph34r:

Wow this really went to a place that........wow....just ....wow... :mellow:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

And Cathy is a complete and under idiot. She is the stupidest character in this entire series. Sorry to say it so harshly - but how could she NOT have noticed Leon was a stooge?

Cathy spends all of episode 11 asking people about Gallia 4 and the 33rd Marine Unit, and you don't think she suspects Leon?

She suspects him, alright. She wouldn't have approached Klan Klan about the 33rd Marine Unit if she didn't. But it takes more than mere suspicions to prove that something's actually wrong. He's highly placed in the military and works closely with the President. She can't do anything without some actual proof of what he's doing and what he's up to. And since she doesn't know what he's up to, she needs to figure it out first.

And I suspect that she's had an inkling that something was wrong since at least episode 8 when he discounted Alto's report of Brera's VF-27.

Episode 13 “Memory of Global” Review

As this episode starts off, we have a short review of the cliff hangar from episode 12 that finds Alto and Ranka discovering a Macross ship abandoned in the wilds of Gallia 4. Brera Sterne in his VF-27 is shown observing their crash. The Zentradi garrison is shown detecting the D-pulse responsible for bringing down Alto's VF-25 Messiah. Elsewhere at the base, Grace is nursing Sheryl while Mikhail looks on before the d-pulse kills the power. Alto and Ranka make their way slowly toward the Macross ship, but the powerful jamming from the Macross forces them to continue on foot. Ranka has more flashbacks about her past and Alto tells her to avoid thinking about them. The two walk toward a glade. Back at the base Mikhail tells Sheryl the fold booster sitting in orbit hasn’t been used and they assume something’s happened to Alto. After Grace has left, Mikhail suspects the pills are bad and avoids giving them to Sheryl. Back in the glade, Alto and Ranka share some personal time and false alarm puts them in an awkward position. After that Ranka is separated from Alto and snatched by the Vajra. Back at the Macross Quarter, Ozuma blames himself for failing to send enough personel to protect Sheryl and Ranka on Gallia 4. At the NUNS headquarters Lucas is chastised for his insubordinate decision to load the LAI fold booster to Mikhail. A brief sequence shows Nanase lamenting for Ranka and Ranka’s pet is shown with new limbs. Back on Gallia 4, Mikhail and Sheryl decide to go searching for Alto and Ranka, Sheryl now clearly feeling better without the pills. Alto, equipped in his EX-Gear discovers the Macross is the 04 Global attached to the 117th Research Fleet. He heads straight to it as Brera discusses the next move with Grace, indicating the capture of Ranka should be a secondary priority. Grace meanwhile is shown leaping around a cliff overlooking the Zentradi base, clear revealing her inhuman abilities.

Back at the 04 Global, Alto searches inside the derelict, finding the computer recently erased and a Vajra specimen as well as picture of Ranka and her former family. Brera makes his way inside some cavern, pondering why Ranka is so important to him. Flashbacks seem to indacte Brera is Ranka’s sibling. Ranka now awakes inside a Vajra hive, likely where Brera is headed. Just then Alto also locates a path to the hive and comes in radio contact with Ranka. As Ranka screams at the approach of the Vajra Queen, Alto bolts toward her position. Brera arrives first and fends off the queen and small Vajra units. Alto arrives to resuce Ranka, but the Queen has erected a shell around her with Alto can’t get to. After a stray shot from Brera injures the queen, the whole hive begins to shake. Brera and Alto flee and as they do the 04 Globabl shatters as a Vajra Mothership and an entire fleet of Vajra ships emerge from underground. Alto gets back into his VF-25 and pursues. Menawhile, Grace takes this time to unveal a bomb labeled with the LAI logo. Alto pursues the fleet and is intercepted by Brera; the two fight, Breara gets the upper hand, but Mikhail saves him with a long sniper shot destroying Brera’s gun. Alto tells Mikhail that Ranka is aboard the Vajra mothership and needs to be rescued. Just then Brera gets behind Alto but breaks off at Grace’s command. As the Vajra fleet, Alto and Brera leave the surface, Grace activates her Dimension Eater and unleashes a destructive spherical anomaly that is destroying the planet. The Zentradi are annihilated and Grace herself is killed in the event. As the Vajra fleet fold out, Mikhail and Sheryl hitch a ride with them into Fold Space. Alto charges out of the atmosphere and we’re left to wonder if he’ll survive the Dimension Eater bomb engulfing Gallia 4.

This is a very strong episode that begins to reveal much more about the nature of the war. Grace and her cohorts are clearly on their own side and have been manipulating the both the NUNS/SMS and the Vajra. It’s apparent Grace is responsible for destroying Gallia 4 and the Zentradi garrison, but no one else except Brera knows this. With Alto, Ranka, Sheryl and Mikhail the only survivors of the Gallia 4 incident, it’s clear that blame for this will fall upon the Vajra. From the Vajra’s eyes, they likely blame the NUNS/SMS for an attack upon their hive and thus the tragedy continues to play out. We’ll have to see where this goes, but next episode seems to show a big battle so it’s likely Grace has succeeded in manipulating everyone again.

Aside from all the wonderful intrigue, battles and epic animation, this episode was another opportunity for some character development between Ranka and Alto. While searching for the 04 Global, the two seemed to bond and Ranka seemed almost ready to tell Alto her feelings for him. For Alto’s part, he’s becoming more impressed with Ranka as she begins to assert herself more and mature. The seeds of a relationship are now growing between the two, but how will it end? Mikhail now begins to suspect Grace, the first one to do so, but with her death it might be too little too late. As far as plot, character and action, this is a near perfect episode. This episode has all the elements of Macross in just the right dosage and also begins to pay us viewers dividends on the investment we’ve made in the show so far. It’s looking great and feels like more goodness is on the way.

Episode 14 is next. Deculture!

Edited by Mr March

Okay I'm definately confused I just got done watching both eps 12 and 13 of Macross Frontier and at the end of eps 12 I see the MAcross looking the way it did when it landed back on Earth after the final battle with the main Bodolza fleet only it has the ARMD 01 and 02 carriers attached, and Alto knows it to be a first generation ship. But on episode 13 (Memories of Global) as Alto gets closer to the ship in which I persume should still on Earth and unable to fold to it's present location I see the name Macross Q4 Fleet Global 117th on the bridge that was part of that research team that was destroyed by the Vajra. All I want to know after seeing Mac 1.2 as I will call itfor now, is was this a copy of the original ship built for research purposes, cause after watching 13 episode so far there was never any mention of it leaving Earth and then dissappearing after the battle with the Vajra.