About the Macross Chronicles

Or - accept that it is a revisioning of Macross II to better correlate it with the rest of the various Macross series. It's probably the best way to keep one's head from exploding (see Mr.March and the Factory Satellite). Or look at it as an alternative information source. Who knows, there may be some juicy new backstore embelishment to the VF-2S or something. Like, aside from the date, have you actually read the article? If I were you, I'd reserve judgement until after reading the article.

Somehow, that makes me feel worse, not better... my eyes nearly rolled clean out of my skull when I saw Macross Ace had included Macross II in the timeline at 2090... I very much doubt that there will be any kind of backstory embellishment (if they wanted to do that, they'd need only reference the official sources... plenty there to work from). It's a decent-enough source of lineart, but they're omitting so much from the text that they might as well toss the print out altogether and just call it an artbook... that's why I'm frustrated.

Yeah. I think Seto just has a colorful way of expressing himself. :p

There's just no appreciation for theatrics in this world anymore... too many twits addicted to reality television...

And yes, Seto's right. Macross II has gotten short shrift. But so has Macross 7: The Galaxy Is Calling Me. And the differences between the OVA and Movie versions of Macross Plus aren't even really being addressed. But that's to be expected.

I wouldn't say that yet... I'm sure we'll get a decently detailed mechanics sheet for the Zola Patrol's VF-19P... but having virtually nothing for main character mecha like they've done for the SNN Valkyrie, the Gigamesh, the Macross Cannon, and the Heracles, it doesn't seem fair. The only place where Chronicle has given Macross II fair treatment has been in the character sheets (which are frankly more informative than some of the ones from the main timeline's cast... boggles the mind, doesn't it?)

Hehehe, I would think so. But try explaining that to this audience :)

Just wait until the mudslinging. Oh, yes, MW has been too quiet. I was more right than I could know :wub:

<_< Good god, if they think I'm bad NOW, they should see some of the things I've said about Macross 7... that'll stir up a storm of controversy that'll keep us all busy for weeks.

Kinda sounds like fun... *reaches for the "new thread" button*

C'mon, people...let's move on.

Does anyone actually HAVE Chronicle #21 yet? As I said before, mine was delayed thanks to Golden Week.

What's the Timeline Sheet like? And what's the new binder breakdown?

Haven't got it yet... I'm looking forward to it like most people look forward to complex dental surgery... it's slated to show up on my doorstep on May 2.

EDIT: Spelling, grammar... what a mess

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Just for fun... some random machine translations!

"Well... I'm contemplating violence..." becomes:

"Well, … I am considering violence. " http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

"Well, … I am considering violence. " http://honyaku.nifty.com/

"Well… I' M where violence is looked…" http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

"Well ... I think I have a violent ..." http://www.google.co.jp/language_tools?hl=ja

"By the way... I think about violence..." http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_japanese.html

et naseaum -_-

the point: it only takes a couple of bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us. <_<

Nevertheless, Saito Kaiba, kudos for toning down the "colourful language". I also feel your pain. I'd like it to be as complete as possible, but it looks like that's beyond the scope of their mandate (for example, I've yet to see a reference to the AMM-1 missile, which is pretty much standard for the VF-1 in SDF:M, in any of the VF-1 sheets. I'm hoping for a page devoted to missiles now, but even that hope is waning.)

As for issue #21... Golden Week vacation started yesterday, so I was no where near my usual bookstore(s). The ones I went to (I'll label them as being off in the boonies) didn't have them >.< . If I have the time later today, I'll go out of my way to where I usually get them... with luck, there'll be a brand spanking new binder waiting along side it.

Gah... 3 binders... :(

:p @ westfall.

Picked up #21 today. Alas, no binders in the two bookstores near my workplace. I'll try Animate when I get the chance - it's the only other place that I spotted binders last time. Anyhow, contents runover:

stickers - sweet. And there bottom has a sticker for "08" with the text next to it reading "please affix this to the top of Issue 14 pg 31" (that's 14-31 if you've already removed the pages - you know, the mistake I pointed out a while ago.) Glad that they're fixing it this way, and not reprinting the whole page like last time...

VF-2SS - quick glance: based off of the VF-XX. Remote drones are named "Squires", and the gun pod is... gun pod/Nekkusu's (gun pod).

Fz-109 - an A sheet (what? No Tenjin painting for it?) The exciting stuff is on the reverse, with an extra report on the VF-14 Nightmare; which contains line art for the M3 game AND screen captures from the M7+ animation!!!

VF-25S - B sheet. Lots of hard stats; from the model kit box???

gah... running out of time, quicky of the rest:

history sheet jumps forward massively: Minmei's farewell concert, Megaroad-01 launch, discovery of Eden, Megaroad 13, 2nd Macross city (something), Release of DYRL (in series) - 2012.08 to 2031 on one sheet!!!

SMS worldguide: thumbs up

Variable Fighter tech sheet - 1G. That's G, not C, D, E, or F!) 4 pages of Full Armour VF, yeah baby yeah! (plus a bit of armoured gerwalk and VB-6 luv in the lower right corner).

Next issue: Tenjin painted VF-25F. Sweet.

Fz-109 - an A sheet (what? No Tenjin painting for it?) The exciting stuff is on the reverse, with an extra report on the VF-14 Nightmare; which contains line art for the M3 game AND screen captures from the M7+ animation!!!

You mean the Vampire. So are we getting clarification finally on both so called VF-14 Vampires. Maybe...Just maybe the M7 Plus one is the VA-14.

No gun pod page. Known since http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=738254

Yuppers on the VF-14 Vampire (or Bampaia) - there's no mention in the subsection regarding the design change. Maybe it's like the Klingons in ST:TOS vs ST:TNG... a design change that everyone ignores (until Enterprise, but that's a decade or two after the fact).

I also have got to get my eyes checked, the Fz-109 is a B sheet. Looks like we might be getting a Hidetaka Tenjin painting (fingers crossed for fighter mode).

Glancing at the VF-25S sheet, I noticed "ASWAG". Which has been defined as "the stronger 2nd generation form of energy conversion armour". There's also "Harmaggedon mode" mentioned, and I think that's defined as when all weapons (missiles?) are launched at the same time. There's some more info (printed missile numbers of all things!) but that'll have to wait till after this quick rundown part deux is finished.

The character sheets are unremarkable (as in, there's nothing that I wasn't expecting). Skimming and scanning I didn't notice Claudia's name on Edger's sheet, or vice versa. Maybe there is something... as I did miss the mention of multiple copy ships on the Megaroad-05 sheet... also, Claudia's sheet, as well as the bridge bunnies, are the DYRL versions. So, I wouldn't say that these sheets are the final word on their relationship.

The B sheet for the M7 Mass Communications people is... interesting. (As in, do we really need it, interesting.)

SMS sheet (have time, examining closely): front text description of civilian military providers and a paragraph on Richard B.. Rear starts with "the merits and demerits of entering S.M.S" (the two captioned pictures are of the trio of H/S kids in EX gear and the other is the funeral - which, IMHO, sums up the merits and demerits). There's small paragraphs on the SMS facilities (briefing room, micronization chamber, living space), as well as the role of SMS (partaking in the filming of "BIRD HUMAN" and anti-Vajra fighting). The remainder are a collection of paragraphs and small pictures on the main staff (characters) and the equipment of S.M.S.

The ad for next issue, in addition to Hidetaka Tenjin's painting of a VF-25F battroid mode, are screen caps of Aruto, Exodol, and the Macross Galaxy surrounded by AA firing Vajra motherships.

The back cover is an explanation on how to arrange the binders. Their recommendation is:

Binder 1: mechanic sheets

Binder 2: Character, Timeline and History sheets

Binder 3: Technology, worldguide, and Special (gallery, song, goods, making & extra) sheets.

history sheet jumps forward massively: Minmei's farewell concert, Megaroad-01 launch, discovery of Eden, Megaroad 13, 2nd Macross city (something), Release of DYRL (in series) - 2012.08 to 2031 on one sheet!!!

Talk about compression. Guess we'll be moving on to M+'s timeline real soon then.

The back cover is an explanation on how to arrange the binders. Their recommendation is:

Binder 3: Technology, worldguide, and Special (gallery, song, goods, making & extra) sheets.

They could save this for the end of the publication instead of doing this now...For all we know, we might end up with 6 binders worth of stuff.

The character sheets are unremarkable (as in, there's nothing that I wasn't expecting). Skimming and scanning I didn't notice Claudia's name on Edger's sheet, or vice versa. Maybe there is something... as I did miss the mention of multiple copy ships on the Megaroad-05 sheet... also, Claudia's sheet, as well as the bridge bunnies, are the DYRL versions. So, I wouldn't say that these sheets are the final word on their relationship.

Hmmm...DYRL Claudia is was expecting, but the Bridge Bunnies, too? And I here was expecting to put Sheet Number 06 away for the Tv Series U.N. Spacy characters...

The B sheet for the M7 Mass Communications people is... interesting. (As in, do we really need it, interesting.)

Yeah, they've already had Macross 7's own diva, "Honey" Suzuki...do they really need anyone else? :p

Something tells me that, if it IS going to be only fifty issues, Timeline and History will be together in Binder 3, Technology and World Guide will be crammed together in Binder 4, and everything else is going to separate...

The Timeline Sheet sounds like it was more or less what I was expecting. They rushed through "The Lost Two Years" between SDFM episodes 27 and 28, too. <_< I was hoping they'd spend at least two or three sheets detailing the time between 2012 and 2040.

I'm *ahem* gonna, umm...kill, uh, someone over this.

Nope. I can't make my threats sound convincing, can I? I guess I'm just too nice. :p

Edited by Gubaba

Go Gubaba, you bad man you :p;)

I have to ditto Graham's enthusiasm about what they have to say for the gun pods in Issue #22. It would be great if we got some new technology jargon and statistics for them. I'd love to see ammunition counts as well. They are the star of the show (after missiles) so it would be nice to get a little more detail.

Edited by Mr March

Sorry to be off topic, but Gubaba's gold. I can't stop laughing every time I read his... uhhh... 'threats'. :lol:

BTW, wish to see the internal mechanism of the gunpod, personally. As a future engineer (and a mecha geek), these things always make me feels excited.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

Someone that won't let things go...

Can that be considered a bad apple too?

I believe the correct term for someone who won't let a completely pointless subject go is "Harmony Gold employee".

You do make one point... MAKE BETTER TRANSLATION ENGINES.

If I had the time or inclination, I could probably do that... someone wanna fund it?

VF-2SS - quick glance: based off of the VF-XX. Remote drones are named "Squires", and the gun pod is... gun pod/Nekkusu's (gun pod).

So in short, nothing new or remotely interesting... fabulous...

I have to ditto Graham's enthusiasm about what they have to say for the gun pods in Issue #22. It would be great if we got some new technology jargon and statistics for them. I'd love to see ammunition counts as well. They are the star of the show (after missiles) so it would be nice to get a little more detail.

I'd love to see ammunition counts for the gunpods of the main timeline... I'm particularly interested to know where the GU-17A is keeping its ammunition, since the whole damn thing is barrel. I have this unpleasant feeling that we're going to have to stick to the established Hirano-esque answer "They're all cosmoguns that hold a million billion rounds and only run out when it's dramatic".

BTW, wish to see the internal mechanism of the gunpod, personally. As a future engineer (and a mecha geek), these things always make me feels excited.

I can't imagine there's going to be anything remarkable about them... the GU-11 was a bog-standard gatling cannon with a helical feed, practically the same thing that's built into most fighters and attack planes these days... the only difference is that the drum's wrapped around the barrel instead of separate.

Now, if they sat down and sorted out how the beam rifles from Macross II and Macross Frontier work, they'd have my undivided attention...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

They could save this for the end of the publication instead of doing this now...For all we know, we might end up with 6 binders worth of stuff.

Actually, I prefer they do it this way, every ten issues. It's not a big deal rearranging the pages once every 5 months.

Graham

Okay...I ust got the issue, and Seto, your cynicism seems unwarranted, at least partially.

The VF-2SS page, yes, says 2090...but you've got to read the whole sentence: "The VF-2SS and the VF-2JA are the two main types of U.N. Spacy aircraft before and after 2090." The Sylvie Gena page says "2091," same as the People of the Mardook page.

Oh, and the VF-2SS's gunpod is a railgun.

No, the bit that makes me worry is the Technology Sheet...Sheet 01G? G?!? Will we get Sheets C through F at some other time, or is it a misprint?

Okay...I just got the issue, and Seto, your cynicism seems unwarranted, at least partially.

The jury's still out on that one... at least until my copy arrives in a day or so...

The VF-2SS page, yes, says 2090...but you've got to read the whole sentence: "The VF-2SS and the VF-2JA are the two main types of U.N. Spacy aircraft before and after 2090." The Sylvie Gena page says "2091," same as the People of the Mardook page.

Okay... they get points for the most obtuse and useless sentence I've read this year... well, maybe not the most useless, I've read some internal memos from Ford...

Still, Macross II isn't set in 2091... so I'm hoping these continual references to 2091 are either errors or "before the war" style introductions. Since Chronicle is really spreading out its work on Macross II, I haven't started working on anything since the Macross Cannon... I've been more focused on Animage Vol.161 No.11 and other publications released back when Macross II first came out.

Okay, that's not at all unexpected... if they identified Nex's gunpod as a beam rifle, and the big cannon on the backpack as a beam cannon, I may be forced to concede that Chronicle's writers aren't completely half-assing the Macross II pages.

Okay... they get points for the most obtuse and useless sentence I've read this year... well, maybe not the most useless, I've read some internal memos from Ford...

It reads fine in Japanese, so blame it on my literal translation.

It reads fine in Japanese, so blame it on my literal translation.

It's not your translation, or how the sentence is written... it's the content.

Man, you are fiercely determined to dislike this page, aren't you? :p

Actually, just by identifying the VF-2SS's standard gunpod as a railgun, the page has already exceeded my expectations... unfortunately my copy won't be here for at least another day. Some kind of foulup happened at HMV, and it didn't ship on time.

Funny story... I remember being told by my parents that they named me Mike because they thought the kid in the Life cereal commercials was cute. <_<

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Okay...I ust got the issue, and Seto, your cynicism seems unwarranted, at least partially.

No, the bit that makes me worry is the Technology Sheet...Sheet 01G? G?!? Will we get Sheets C through F at some other time, or is it a misprint?

Doesn't sound too bad. It's good to see the rail gun confirmed. I hope there are some other goodies in there.

Doesn't sound too bad. It's good to see the rail gun confirmed. I hope there are some other goodies in there.

There might be...but I don't know if I'll be getting around to translating this page anytime soon.

I will DEFINITELY do the VF-25S page (since I promised I would do it before; indeed, I've already started on it), but apart from that, "Dreaming Prelude~My Fair Minmay" is taking up all my translation time.

There might be...but I don't know if I'll be getting around to translating this page anytime soon.

I will DEFINITELY do the VF-25S page (since I promised I would do it before; indeed, I've already started on it), but apart from that, "Dreaming Prelude~My Fair Minmay" is taking up all my translation time.

Thanks Gubaba. We really appreciate it. I'm definitely looking forward to that armor translation.

I have another fella that is helping with translations as well. Not sure how it's going to go, but we'll see. The more the merrier :)

I'd love to see ammunition counts for the gunpods of the main timeline... I'm particularly interested to know where the GU-17A is keeping its ammunition, since the whole damn thing is barrel. I have this unpleasant feeling that we're going to have to stick to the established Hirano-esque answer "They're all cosmoguns that hold a million billion rounds and only run out when it's dramatic".

I think Macross has been pretty good at ammunition. They cheat like any action series would, but at least they show ammunition limits and reloading. I'd love ammo counts though. I may even hold out hope for some muzzle velocities :)

Hit up another pair of bookshops today - no luck on the binder. I'll try another few spots in the next day or three, but it's looking like they're all sold out and bookstores aren't carrying them anymore. Looks like we'll have to start buying them from the manufacturer.

In semi-related news, there's a new Shirow Masamune book out, "Pieces 1", containing a variety of art covering his whole career, at least one series showing his work in progress, and the 3 short stories collected from Exon Depot. Thumbs up if you're a Shirow fan. The hard cover is also nice, though it raises the price a fair bit. There's also a new Macross F manga collection out: "Macross F Comic Anthology". Basically a collection of short stories by a variety of authors.

Hit up another pair of bookshops today - no luck on the binder. I'll try another few spots in the next day or three, but it's looking like they're all sold out and bookstores aren't carrying them anymore. Looks like we'll have to start buying them from the manufacturer.

In semi-related news, there's a new Shirow Masamune book out, "Pieces 1", containing a variety of art covering his whole career, at least one series showing his work in progress, and the 3 short stories collected from Exon Depot. Thumbs up if you're a Shirow fan. The hard cover is also nice, though it raises the price a fair bit. There's also a new Macross F manga collection out: "Macross F Comic Anthology". Basically a collection of short stories by a variety of authors.

My binder hasn't arrived either, and I ordered it weeks ago... <_<

As for Shirow, the man pissed me off severely when he casually mentioned in "Ballistics" that he wouldn't be finishing Appleseed. I wanted to scream, "Then stop painting pictures of naked girls in robots and FINISH YOUR DAMN STORY ALREADY!" Still, if it's got the Exon Depot stories, I might check it out.

I think after he walked away from Appleseed bk 5, he went on to Dominion Tank Police: no more noise, and then back to Ghost in the Shell.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lost all of his notes in the Great Hanshin Earthquake... which may be way he never returned to Appleseed.

Anyhow, in either Ballistics or Bullets he mentioned his conversion from manga artist to manga-like artist... so I'm guessing that we'll never see another manga from him. Shame... but not too much, his female characters were getting a little too stylized in GiTS 2.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if the lack of MC binders has to do with Goldenweek, or that the stores have only been selling excess stock from the start up until now... or if I've arrived at the bookstores too late (usually I get MC in the afternoon on the day they are released. But, as it's Golden Week, I wasn't able to get it until more than 30 hours after I usually get it... will try and find a binder in Kawaramachi tomorrow.

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but Sketchley's incomplete translation provided some invaluable information for me that has made me seriously reevaluate my opinion of Chronicle.

It looks like Chronicle's writers aren't nearly as ignorant of the Macross II source materials as previous sheets had led me to believe... the fact that the Tachikahoff/Takachihoff (I've seen it spelled both ways) corporation is even mentioned means they HAVE to be using more than just TIAS #5 and EB51... as neither book mentions the company. It was also an interesting turn to see a piece of data only mentioned in Super Robot Chronicles confirmed.

I'll have to wait and see when my copy gets here, but it looks like the "Warren RG-022 Railgun" is the big cannon on the SAP pack, not the gunpod. That indicates that they're following the TIAS/EB line on the mecha armaments, rather than what's indicated in B-Club interviews and the animation itself. An interesting conundrum. It looks to me like Sketchley's partial translation is missing information on the standard equipment though, or there were omissions on the part of Chronicle's writers...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but Sketchley's incomplete translation provided some invaluable information for me that has made me seriously reevaluate my opinion of Chronicle.

It looks like Chronicle's writers aren't nearly as ignorant of the Macross II source materials as previous sheets had led me to believe... the fact that the Tachikahoff/Takachihoff (I've seen it spelled both ways) corporation is even mentioned means they HAVE to be using more than just TIAS #5 and EB51... as neither book mentions the company. It was also an interesting turn to see a piece of data only mentioned in Super Robot Chronicles confirmed.

I'll have to wait and see when my copy gets here, but it looks like the "Warren RG-022 Railgun" is the big cannon on the SAP pack, not the gunpod. That indicates that they're following the TIAS/EB line on the mecha armaments, rather than what's indicated in B-Club interviews and the animation itself. An interesting conundrum. It looks to me like Sketchley's partial translation is missing information on the standard equipment though, or there were omissions on the part of Chronicle's writers...

Wow, we were just talking about Tachikahoff Corporation last week. Weirdness. :)

Well, this is good news. I'm glad the Chronicle is sourcing several materials. It's also interesting that the 19.1 ton figure (which we were also talking about a couple weeks back) seems to be confirmed now. But they call it "full weight" rather than just an ambiguous figure.

At least the rail gun is confirmed. That's been a staple of the SAP translations for years. It's great that it's finally confirmed in the Chronicle.

(...) Tachikahoff/Takachihoff (I've seen it spelled both ways) corporation

(...) It looks to me like Sketchley's partial translation is missing information on the standard equipment though, or there were omissions on the part of Chronicle's writers...

タカチホフ (takachihofu) is how it's written in the article.

I translated the data only on the front page. There is more (such as Gubaba's already mentioned gun pods are rail guns - gah! Palladium books was right all along on that!), so there *may* be more.

I translated the data only on the front page. There is more (such as Gubaba's already mentioned gun pods are rail guns - gah! Palladium books was right all along on that!), so there *may* be more.

Considering that the founder of Studio Nue (and creator of Crusher Joe and Dirty Pair) is named Haruka Takachiho, I would think that "Takachihoff" would be the correct version...

I've actually talked to Palladium at length about their sources for the RPG, and they DID actually do their homework fairly thoroughly... though they did take quite a few liberties in the name of gameplay balance... I haven't had a chance to look through issue 21 yet, but I'd wait labeling the gunpods as anything... they've never been conclusively identified in any previous sources, and the preview for the page didn't have any valuable description next to them either... just the same unhelpful "this is a gunpod" sort of label they had in EB51.

As far as the good doctor's name, I've seen it spelled タチカホフ and タカチホフ in different sources. Admittedly, I think that Gubaba probably has a point that the Dr H. Takachihoff/Tachikahoff was probably a homage to Haruka Takachiho, esp. in light of the technological achievements the character is credited with.

... they've never been conclusively identified in any previous sources,

I'll have to check my copy, but I'm pretty sure the line art published in B-Club magazine back in June 1992 identified them as rail guns. Thought this was common knowledge?

I'll have to check my copy, but I'm pretty sure the line art published in B-Club magazine back in June 1992 identified them as rail guns. Thought this was common knowledge?

Problem is, B-Club can't seem to make up its mind whether the gunpods are railguns or beam rifles, and the official artbooks remain mysteriously mute on the subject, leaving the four (technically five) models of gunpod identified only as "gunpod". It doesn't help that the animation makes most of the gunpods out to be beam rifles, and the SAP pack's big cannon as a converging beam cannon rather than the railgun most sources say it is. I'll spare you guys the breakdown of what all the sources say, since it's too long for me to comfortably retype in the time available to me.

(Fortunately, this sort of confusion is limited solely to the gunpods, the SAP pack's big cannon, and the main mounts on the Defender EX, everything else is well accounted for and consistent across all sources)

EDIT: My copy of Macross Chronicle #21 should've arrived today, so I'll leap right in and sort this out right away.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Problem is, B-Club can't seem to make up its mind whether the gunpods are railguns or beam rifles, and the official artbooks remain mysteriously mute on the subject, leaving the four (technically five) models of gunpod identified only as "gunpod". It doesn't help that the animation makes most of the gunpods out to be beam rifles, and the SAP pack's big cannon as a converging beam cannon rather than the railgun most sources say it is. I'll spare you guys the breakdown of what all the sources say, since it's too long for me to comfortably retype in the time available to me.

(Fortunately, this sort of confusion is limited solely to the gunpods, the SAP pack's big cannon, and the main mounts on the Defender EX, everything else is well accounted for and consistent across all sources)

EDIT: My copy of Macross Chronicle #21 should've arrived today, so I'll leap right in and sort this out right away.

Vol. 21 includes a sticker with the number 08 to use in the Cospa T-shirt page that was released with volume 14 (it has 01 originally). I guess they decided it was not worth printing again...