There's been talk of doing a Buck Rogers film before and after the TV show, but that's all it's amounted to.

The property is so old and forgotten by most people that I'm afraid they'd use the late 70's/early 80's TV series as the basis for a new movie... and that show was about as far removed from the old comic strip as the last Flash Gordon movie was from the Flash Gordon comic strips, too.

Ignorance is a big tool that's used to promote and develop mediocre films and TV shows instead of being creative and doing something new, or at least creating a film that tries to honor its source material.

You are pretty much right about that on most counts. Buck Rogers is becoming pretty obscure these days (But not in MY sig) and as a result I am sure that it is not high on the list to be remade or 'reinvented' (which is hollywood jargon for 'we are TOTALLY going to make this up without looking at any original source materials' - see the Sci-fi channel Flash Gordon remake for a good example of this attitude)

I understand that Hollywood mentality that a lot of heroes don't ever really go out of fashion, and this is especially true with comic superheroes, but I think that some hero's are from such a different era that there is no way to adapt them to modern sensibilities without changing the fundamental concepts of the characters. Heroes like Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, The Shadow (which is rumoured to be in development for ANOTHER modern film, why bother) and MAYBE even characters like Judge Dredd just cannot be related well to the world we live in now. This is the reason why we have not seen live-action films based on more obscure characters like Dan Dare.

Its fair enough to bring back some old heroes but I think that its also fair to say that we need new ones as well. I think that the Neo character in the Matrix was a good step in the right direction.

You are also right in what you say about ignorance being a big tool used to develop projects being based upon old TV shows and movies. The classic example had to be the film The Avengers. I was sitting in the cinema watching this film and I thought to myself "Has anybody involved in this production even SEEN the original series that this is supposed to be based upon." Clearly they were ignoring the source material when they made this film, it seemed to be based on perceptions of what people thought the show was about without having seen it.

It would be easy to think that this attitude stems from people not seeing the source material but ultimately I have to believe that it is deliberate. Writers, producers and execs clearly believe that they do know better than everybody else (and this often includes a shows creators) and so they just do what they want.

There was a time when I was excited about the prospect of a new film based on the old series "The Prisoner" being made, but now, with hollywoods track record, I hope it is never done.

Taksraven

It would be easy to think that this attitude stems from people not seeing the source material but ultimately I have to believe that it is deliberate. Writers, producers and execs clearly believe that they do know better than everybody else (and this often includes a shows creators) and so they just do what they want.

I think it falls back on the talent of the writer (and the support of the studio). If the producers stick to the original too much, you end up basically with a piece of fan-fiction (see also: the Trek movies). I was a big fan of the original Galactica in my youth and I love the new series all the more, because they ignored all the fandom and developed an original update to modern day (ok they also happened to get some capable actors and brilliant CGI).

Some established heroes also get a well-needed kick in the a$$ within their own media (Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight" Batman and Howard Chaykin's "The Shadow" come to mind) and I expect no less from movie remakes.

Edited by electric indigo

I was a big fan of the original Galactica in my youth and I love the new series all the more, because they ignored all the fandom and developed an original update to modern day (ok they also happened to get some capable actors and brilliant CGI).

The new Galactica is, of course, one of the biggest exceptions to the remake rule and I think that you have pretty much summed up the main reasons why this was the case, and by not being a total slave to the fandom of the original series it has surpassed the original series easily.

Star Trek has been one of the worst examples of pandering to the fans ever since TNG started, but I do have hopes that the new film can break some of the rules (and the expectations of many die-hard trekkies) because if it does, it could be truly successful. (And I don't just mean successful economically)

Taksraven

Gee, the media has noticed that there are a lot of remakes around at the moment. WHAT A SHOCK!!!!!!!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Zm7UtEMRs

Seems strange that they single out sf though and I am not sure about classifying the new Trek film as a 'remake'.

Taksraven.

LOL and that was the Fox 7 news syndicate if Im correct. Since they are owned by News Corp who also own 20th century fox and half the worlds media companies you'd think they'd know already that next years schedule is full of remakes.

Good find though :0

LOL and that was the Fox 7 news syndicate if Im correct. Since they are owned by News Corp who also own 20th century fox and half the worlds media companies you'd think they'd know already that next years schedule is full of remakes.

Good find though :0

It was on the local news here in Aus, gives you some idea of the number of recycled OS news reports we have to put up with.

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

Remake news has been quiet for a while, so here is a new one we can expect to see. A remake of the George Romero classic, starring Australia's own borefest, Radha Mitchell, I give you.....

The Crazies.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news09/090112i.php

Taksraven

Meh, let's face it--pretty much EVERY movie that comes out is to some degree either influenced by, or is a rehash of a movie that's been made before... <_<

For example: Into the Blue (2005), w/Jessica Alba + Paul Walker; previews gave me the impression it was just a remake of The Deep (1977), w/Jacqueline Bisset + Nick Nolte; which was pretty much a remake of Underwater! (1955), w/Jane Russell + Johnny Gray...

Event Horizon (1997) w/Laurence Fishburne + Sam Neill? Think: The Black Hole (1979) w/Robert Forster + Maximilian Schell, only cranked way-up on the intensity, and not just-for-kids fare. The number of examples are endless...

I'm just a bit disgusted with Hollywood's efforts in recent years, to the point that I rarely--if ever--feel the urge to actually go to a theater and pay somebody money to see their sh*t.

It's like nobody even tries to make an effort at putting any creativity or originality in the movies they're making; like it's swung to the extreme end of the spectrum [between: mere influence/homage, OR out-and-out copy/hacking somebody else's stuff], and the movies have just degenerated into poorly written re-hashes, no one even trying to come up with their own stuff--they just take what's been done before, "just pump up all the action scenes, make the explosions like crazy bigger than the first movie, let's fry some retinas..."

Event Horizon (1997) w/Laurence Fishburne + Sam Neill? Think: The Black Hole (1979) w/Robert Forster + Maximilian Schell, only cranked way-up on the intensity, and not just-for-kids fare. The number of examples are endless...

I would dispute the claim that The Black Hole is a just-for-kids film. Especially with the fate that Anthony Perkins character meets.

Taksraven

I would dispute the claim that The Black Hole is a just-for-kids film. Especially with the fate that Anthony Perkins character meets.

Taksraven

True dat. It was in fact, Disney's first PG-rated film. To their credit, the scene you mention was done quite tastefully--rather tame by today's standards. When Maximillian dispatches the poor, naive Dr. Durant, we only see shreds of paper flying; no blood, no shredded flesh, no gaping chest cavities or other such gore that seems to be par for the course in movies today.

P.S. but yes--I'm sure it was enough to give a lot of average 10-year olds the willies, when they'd first see that sort of thing...

Edited by reddsun1

True dat. It was in fact, Disney's first PG-rated film. To their credit, the scene you mention was done quite tastefully--rather tame by today's standards. When Maximillian dispatches the poor, naive Dr. Durant, we only see shreds of paper flying; no blood, no shredded flesh, no gaping chest cavities or other such gore that seems to be par for the course in movies today.

P.S. but yes--I'm sure it was enough to give a lot of average 10-year olds the willies, when they'd first see that sort of thing...

That's a good point, about that scene. These days, before the doctor drops to the floor, I'm sure we'd got a shot looking through the hole in his torso, with ragged bits of organs twitching at the edges.

Sometimes, it's better to leave things to the imagination.

That's a good point, about that scene. These days, before the doctor drops to the floor, I'm sure we'd got a shot looking through the hole in his torso, with ragged bits of organs twitching at the edges.

Sometimes, it's better to leave things to the imagination.

Yeah, going back to what started this tangent, it would look like event horizon if they did it now.

Taksraven

While he doesn't have even close to the right voice for it, I honestly can't say I hate the idea of Keanu Reeves playing Spike. I'd be more concerned with who they'd cast as Faye & Ed at this point, fearing token big fake titted starlet actress, and Dakota Fanning, or sometihng equally as inane. It's just too bad we don't have a young Gary Oldman, or type casted Heath Ledger to play vicious at this point. Mark Walburg might have been interesting as Spike, but he's getting on in years too. And f^ck it, at this point, why not go full assed cheese, and have Samual Jackson as Jet.

All I'd really want from this movie, is an accurate recreation of the Grenbird scene where Spike & Vicious fly through the stained glass window. That'd be absolute trailer gold. And why not Liv Tyler as Faye, she's got the right build, and isn't too skinny.

Edited by Keith

ADV went broke, so that's long since dead.

So essentially the project made it as far as some concept art (which counts for nothing) and then died. Probably for the best. Prefer the new anime version.

Taksraven

• 2 weeks later...

A "reboot" of Predator might be on the way. Not really a remake maybe, but I'll mention it here...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15106

Get this though, a team of commando's up against a "team" of predators. Looks like they are missing the point of the original already. I always thought that one of the best aspects of the original film was that it was a team of commando's being wiped out by ONE Predator.

Taksraven

A "reboot" of Predator might be on the way. Not really a remake maybe, but I'll mention it here...

Get this though, a team of commando's up against a "team" of predators. Looks like they are missing the point of the original already. I always thought that one of the best aspects of the original film was that it was a team of commando's being wiped out by ONE Predator.

Taksraven

You nailed it. One of the high points of the original Predator was that even Ah-nold was no match for the Predator and only barely defeated him using brains rather than brute force.

You nailed it. One of the high points of the original Predator was that even Ah-nold was no match for the Predator and only barely defeated him using brains rather than brute force.

Correct, even though when he did kill the Predator in the end, I think it came down more to luck than skill or intelligence. ( I know it was using a trap he built in a way that it was not really intended, but still, he was lucky thats where he ended up after the thrashing the Predator gave him.)

Taksraven

Taksraven

No, no...I can see how they could do it. You spend two hours getting to know the commandos...their dreams, their fears, the women they left behind, stuff like that. Then the team of Predators moves in and you get three minutes of commandos being eviscerated. The end.

No, no...I can see how they could do it. You spend two hours getting to know the commandos...their dreams, their fears, the women they left behind, stuff like that. Then the team of Predators moves in and you get three minutes of commandos being eviscerated. The end.

You.....stay away from my sci-fi classics. Kthxbi. :angry: