MacF Feature in "Animation Note" magazine

Renato

Mods, please move or merge this thread as you see fit. I can understand if there are too many Frontier threads at the moment, but I have a ton of stuff to upload so I need to keep these in the same place for the time being as I cannot put them all up in one night. I thought about putting this in the Frontier News thread but if I post them sparsely they'd just get buried.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the Arihiro Hase thread, earlier this week I was browsing in the library and I came across a few interesting materials.

This one here is the latest (April 2008) issue of Animation Note magazine, it's a (mostly) no-nonsense quarterly mag dedicated to the animation industry for pros and amateurs. This season's special feature is on mecha design with a whopping 20-odd pages on MacF alone. There's some never-before-seen stuff in here so I hope you enjoy it. And yeah I rushed the scans so some are wonky or upside-down. I don't really have the time, so if you could fix them yourselves...

Here goes:

post-1318-1211121468_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1211121494_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1211121514_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1211121543_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1211121570_thumb.jpg

Vajra Regult?! O_O DO WANT! Bandai, please make models of these, k, thanks.

Looks like the Vajra are controlled by pilots afterall.. The uniform looks very similar to the "shape" of the energy spike within one of them in Episode 5, where Ranka was singing "'Bout My Star"(?).

Vajra Regult?! O_O DO WANT! Bandai, please make models of these, k, thanks.

Looks like the Vajra are controlled by pilots afterall.. The uniform looks very similar to the "shape" of the energy spike within one of them in Episode 5, where Ranka was singing "'Bout My Star"(?).

Well, we don't know. A bunch of these could have been pre-production concept designs. That's why we need a translation.

Well, we don't know. A bunch of these could have been pre-production concept designs. That's why we need a translation.

I think you guys are reading it upside down (as Renato said). The only things I see are the paper-to-CG VF-25, the Vajra red lobster and scenery.... <_<

Most of these are pre-production design sketches that later evolved into the current designs we saw on Frontier. That humanoid with the gunpod is the early design for the Ex=Gear.

What's interesting is that the Zentradi Regults were supposed to be organic originally with bug like wings!

Most of these are pre-production design sketches that later evolved into the current designs we saw on Frontier. That humanoid with the gunpod is the early design for the Ex=Gear.

What's interesting is that the Zentradi Regults were supposed to be organic originally with bug like wings!

That's what I thought. Thanks. :)

Look at the logo designs at the lower left corner. Are any of these on that mystery VF27?

I think they all say either 'Frontier' or 'Galaxy'. So most likely these are sample logos intended for the two colony fleets.

Though it's a bit hard to read the word on the lower-left logo on the first sheet of paper.

I think they all say either 'Frontier' or 'Galaxy'. So most likely these are sample logos intended for the two colony fleets.

Though it's a bit hard to read the word on the lower-left logo on the first sheet of paper.

Here is an image of the logos:

2502498367_0c8c26e089_o.jpg

Renato, can you do a scan of the cover please, so I know what to look for. I've neaver heard of this magazione before, but want to try to find a copy.

Graham

I remember seeing one with Soul Eater as the cover, I might be mistaken tough. :huh:

Err... the Vajra Regult actually seems like some Vajra unit that is deployed from a hive like structure... it seems to fly by deploying some sort of wings (like the red large Vajra type unit) and then folds those wings while in the "Regult" mode...

If this is ever used in the show... it will mean one thing... Protoculture!

Edited by Kronnang Dunn