First vf-1 Recommendations

see_kay

Hey guys, I use to watch the original macross/robotech years ago when I was growing up (like around when i was 4) and have since followed the series from macross plus,

macross zero and now macross frontier.

I've been playing around with the idea of getting a transforming VF-1S for some time now and starting to lean closer to getting it. Question is which one should i get ?

I really loved macross when I was growing up so choosing one with the best details etc. is high priority but I'm not looking at spending to much on it, around the

$100 usd price range. Any suggestions for that price range ? Or closest to it . I would prefer to buy from an online retailer.

Edited by see_kay

Hey guys, I use to watch the original macross/robotech years ago when I was growing up (like around when i was 4) and have since followed the series from macross plus,

macross zero and now macross frontier.

I've been playing around with the idea of getting a transforming VF-1S for some time now and starting to lean closer to getting it. Question is which one should i get ?

I really loved macross when I was growing up so choosing one with the best details etc. is high priority but I'm not looking at spending to much on it, around the

$100 usd price range. Any suggestions for that price range ? Or closest to it . I would prefer to buy from an online retailer.

I think you're going to get 2 kinds of replies here, so I guess I'll do my best to present either point of view.

1. You could buy the 1/48 Yamato has been putting out. These toys are probably the most durable transforming planes of this scale and detail, but this doesn't mean you can treat it like a toy from Transformers Armada. The size and play value are surprisingly great. Lots of neat parts, like detachable nose cone, moving flaps, air brake, landing gear, etc. You'll love it. Kinda costly, though, and you WILL lose 10 years off your life each time you try to attach the FAST packs. It's THAT scary. They will cost you about $120-$150 each. And these seem to be obsolete at the moment because.......

2. There are new 1/60 VF-1 toys due out. 90% of the board is convinced that these new guys are way superior to the 1/48s, and the other 10% (myself included) feel that the improvements over the 1/48 are there, certainly, but it isn't worth buying another VF-1. There certainly are improvements, like more posability in the arms, shorter nose cone-wang in robot mode, better FAST pack placement, in the same scale with the rest of Yamato's products, etc. I'm not sure how much these cost, but it seems that they do cost less than the 1/48, but many people seem to be disappointed that it doesn't cost that much less. In other words, you do save, but not a lot. If you never had a 1/48 Yamato, I would almost 100% recommend that you skip the 1/48s and get the 1/60s right off the bat, EXCEPT....

If you're in a rush to get the new 1/60s, be aware that it'll be a first-run of this model. I'm aware of Yamato's assurances that the quality control will be good. I'm aware that there is a new QC guy. But Yamato's track record with first-release toys is, well, awful. I'm afraid to touch my first-run VF-0S, and from what I hear, the first run of the YF-19 isn't exactly a Powermaster Prime in terms of stability. If you buy the new 1/60, be aware that you're buying a first-run product from a company that always tries to placate problematic first-runs by promising to fix it for the next production run.

So to summarize, the way I see it, the pros and cons are:

1/48 scale: Great all around. This model has been out for years, so you can be comfortable with the knowledge that your 1/48 Valkyrie probably won't have any strange breakages or QC problems. While the 1/60 does have better proportions in robot mode, I insist that the 1/48 isn't too darn shabby either. And the 1/48 has a better plane mode.

1/60 scale: Great all around. First-production run, meaning you risk getting a floppy/malfunctioning/breakable product. Improved robot mode, more posable, FAST packs won't give you a heart attack (I'm guessing), and (in my opinion) inferior plane mode. And please be aware that the new 1/60 model is what you get. There's an old 1/60 model out there that was OK for its time, but (in retrospect) doesn't really look all that great compared to either the 1/48 or the new 1/60, and (yuck) requires that you detach the legs to transform.

My personal recommendation? Get the 1/48 VF-1. My opinion is that the improvements made to the 1/60 Valkyrie simply isn't enough to convince me to buy. I'm also not comfortable getting any first-release from Yamato anymore. If you're in a rush to get a VF-1S, you won't go wrong with the 1/48 scale.

Edited by Lord of Tetris

Get a chunky. Its the takatoku/bandai 1/55. Durable. Timeless. A toy that looked great 20 years ago and still looks great now. The most durable valkyrie toy ever made, and can be transformed in seconds. Looks well, and plays well. Yamato has steady new releases, so there will be a lot to go around for those. You can wait on Yamatos. Start with what started it all, the chunky monkey.

That's true. I have the VF-1J Max Chunky-Monkey as a b-day gift from my best friend 2 years ago and the thing still rocks!

Trivia: I accidentally dropped it on my foot last year while cleaning and it gave me some bruises that lasted a few days. Nothing was broken on the toy and that is the power of die-cast!

Get a chunky. Its the takatoku/bandai 1/55. Durable. Timeless. A toy that looked great 20 years ago and still looks great now. The most durable valkyrie toy ever made, and can be transformed in seconds. Looks well, and plays well. Yamato has steady new releases, so there will be a lot to go around for those. You can wait on Yamatos. Start with what started it all, the chunky monkey.

I have to agree with Shin Densetsu and misterryno above. IMHO, for your first Valkyrie toy, the Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 is the one to get. Especially if you intend to play with your Valkyrie toy.

Considering your budget, the Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 is perfect. For $100 you could get an 1/55 with fast packs (the extra booster/armor option parts) included. A 1/48 Yamato will cost you double if you want the fast packs. If you're considering the upcoming 1/60 Yamato (which costs around $110-$120), you might want to wait for reviews to pour in before you spend your money. First editions of Yamato toys sometimes have niggling issues that you might not want to deal with.

I personally think you would be wasting a hundred bucks on a chunky, when you can have a Yammie for not too much more.

With all due respect to the Chunky - it's just not that good.

My advice would be to FORGET ABOUT THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN BUDGET ANYTHING. Throw it out the window.

The 1/48 is very durable - true - but if you've never handled a Yamato figure before - there's a 25% chance you'll break it anyways .

Therefore expect to be having to buy a new one - because more often then not - the breakage happens because you pushed and pulled where you shouldn't have.

I always assume that 1/4 of what I get from Yamato will break - and it does - and I buy a new one - and it doesn't break.

The QC issues are annoying - but as some have said, Yamato is working on them.

It shows with the SV-51, the YF-19 - and in fairness the 1/48 is a very good plane QC wise.

I think your best option would be to sell half your transformers collection - and if you don't have stuff like that to sell, then try maybe hocking your kidney on ebay.

If all else fails - you can always sell yourself into slavery or sell your kidney or something :)

VFTF1

25% chance to break the 1/48? come on man.

I do agree on you throwing the budgetting out the window though. Good call! :)

But yeh -

If you like fighter mode, get the 1/48 in your fav colour/hero type.

If you prefer battroid mode, get the 1/60 new line coming out.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

My first valkyrie was a 1/48 VF-1S and I have to say I loved it and still do. I dont know about the 1/60 scale though I have a 1/60 scale VF-0S and a YF-19 and I do have to say the proportions are slightly better with a smaller build and all. But for me size is better and although its more expensive I like the oversized look of the 1/48s.

With all due respect to the Chunky - it's just not that good.

No, it is that good. What transforming robot toy was that articulated in the 80's, and looked good in the process with no obvious indication that it could transform? The closest thing is the G1 Starscream, and thats laughable in comparison. Even for now, it looks balanced in all modes, with no mode seemingly getting preference over the other. A battroide mode with no skinny limbs. A sleek fighter mode. Tight ratchets all over. A slick gloss paint coat. Diecast done right without loosening limbs over time. The reissues are an affordable way to buying a classic toy. No need to pay vintage prices. The new stuff is everywhere, he can wait on those. Besides Yamato isn't known to knock things out the ball park on their first go. You may bring up the latest Nora SV-51, but they've been making valkyries for 8 years now, and their qc has been hit or miss. With the chunky you already know what you're getting into, and it can only get better from there, with regards to detail/aesthetic if he so chooses....

I personally think you would be wasting a hundred bucks on a chunky, when you can have a Yammie for not too much more.

The only good alternatives are the 1/48 and new 1/60. The 1/48 is $140+ depending on where you go, and the new 1/60 hasn't been released yet, and we know how Yamato is with 1st releases.

The 1/48 is very durable - true - but if you've never handled a Yamato figure before - there's a 25% chance you'll break it anyways .

Go chunky!

My advice would be to FORGET ABOUT THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN BUDGET ANYTHING. Throw it out the window.

Yeah but this guy is new, this is his first valk, if he is not satisfied and pays a lot for a Yamato, he will be dissapointed.

The QC issues are annoying - but as some have said, Yamato is working on them.

I've been part of this forum for 7-8 years and you know what? Yamato always says that. They do have a new guy on board who we can say is responsible for the Nora SV-51 being good. Yet why wasn't there someone like this when the VF-0 arms were breaking for a reason no one could pinpoint for a while, or when the first run of Ivanov SV-51's came out, or when the Tab B happened 8 years ago, or the VF-11 bust-a-hips 7 years ago? No excuses. Its good they got a new guy now who is stricter, but it took them long enough.

I suggest getting a bandai first. Yamato's are readily available now and for the forseable future. I encourage getting a yamato at some point(either a 1/48 or new 1/60), but to start with, a chunky is a good way to go.

Its also one of the rare toys that will break your kids rather than your kids breaking it.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

I've been part of this forum for 7-8 years and you know what? Yamato always says that. They do have a new guy on board who we can say is responsible for the Nora SV-51 being good. Yet why wasn't there someone like this when the VF-0 arms were breaking for a reason no one could pinpoint for a while, or when the first run of Ivanov SV-51's came out, or when the Tab B happened 8 years ago, or the VF-11 bust-a-hips 7 years ago? No excuses. Its good they got a new guy now who is stricter, but it took them long enough.

I suggest getting a bandai first. Yamato's are readily available now and for the forseable future. I encourage getting a yamato at some point(either a 1/48 or new 1/60), but to start with, a chunky is a good way to go.

Its also one of the rare toys that will break your kids rather than your kids breaking it.

What Yamato badly need for QC guys are murderers, corpse-rapists & torturers looking for a fresh perspective to their career. Humaniod monsters in supervisory roles that kill people even for sneezing at a wrong volume. Strictness without disciplinary action is akin to a toothless tiger. When it growls, a good tummy rub will bring smiles to it again - and we're back at zero.

Edited by Beware of Blast

I say get the ultimate iconic Macross toy. A 1/55 bandai super VF-1S. Some will say "ewwwww chunky monkey", but it's a great piece of nostalgia, still floors most of todays stuff in terms of craftsmanship, and the 2002 reissue box kicks ass and looks great displayed. Wish I had the 02 reissue.

25% chance to break the 1/48? come on man.

No no - 25% chance to break a Yamato Valkyrie - but that includes everything else beyond the 1/48.

The 1/48 is indeed top notch sturdy durable good stuff - although I am stil l delicate with it.

The more I read this thread - they more I generally agree about the chunky monkeys.

True - from the point of view of 80s transforming toys - this thing was great....

It's a tried and true tradition that continues up till today. Take any of the "newest" incarnations of Transformers; even the "cool" ones like...umm...hmm...trying to think of a realistic...ah yes - Masterpiece Starscream....

Someone noted that the VF transformation was way simplistic compared to MP Starscream - but actually - that is kind of the point. The whole idea behind the VF was that it could transform without killing the pilot.

If someone was flying MP Starscream he would no doubt die a be diced to pieces during the transformation (I mean - the front of the cockpit folds up into where the pilot is sitting :) ... even if it somehow misses the pilot -the fact that the things comes apart, exposing the pilot at MACH whatever the speed is to a de-pressurized atmosphere...

Well - you get the point :)

The VF is "simple" - but that is what makes it elegent and realistic... and ...umm...

Back to the point - I really would get myself a Chunky - but my budget - (the one I advise other people not to have) is just too tight at the moment.

So much good stuff coming out.

No TF Aniamted and no Chunky Munkys for me.

Focusing on G1, Yammie, Gundam, (MF eventually), Revoltech and SOC.

sadly - I don't have the funds to expand that list :)

VFTF1

I'd say get the NEW Yamato 1/60 scale VF-1. It looks set to be a major improvement in almost every way over our beloved Yamato 1/48 VF-1, which was already a great toy. I'm going to be getting a new Yamato 1/60.

I will say go for the 1/48 VF-1 it is a great toy and QC free ^_^

I have 7 and I really like them :p

in term of design it is the best VF-1 out

we will see how it goes for the new 1/60 soon

And in 1/48 the vf-1 has a really good and nice size to play with and for display IMO

You can wait to for the 1/60 VF1 as yamato line is based now on 1/60

so sticking with the 1/60 is a good idea but seriously a 1/60 VF-1 standing next to a SV-51 or a VF-0 will look funny in term of display

a 1/48 next to recents 1/60 looks fine for me

I have no issue displaying a 1/48 with 1/60 see below but this is another discussion

if you go with yamato 1/48 or new 1/60 you can not be wrong

dsc02945ab9.jpg

Wait and see how durable the new 1/60 VF-1 is. On the 1/48, you need to be careful not to stress or break the backpack hinge (the infamous BP8 piece). I figure that the new 1/60 backpack hinge would have been beefed up a bit, but I don't know. Hence the wait and see.

Besides, the 1/60 VF-1 standing next to the other 1/60 scale valkyries would be correctly sized. The VF-1 is a smaller fighter than the YF/VF-19, YF-21/VF-22, VF-0, and SV-51. The other valkyries are similar sized to the VF-1 I believe (in particular the VF-4 and VF-11).

Wait and see how durable the new 1/60 VF-1 is. On the 1/48, you need to be careful not to stress or break the backpack hinge (the infamous BP8 piece). I figure that the new 1/60 backpack hinge would have been beefed up a bit, but I don't know. Hence the wait and see.

Besides, the 1/60 VF-1 standing next to the other 1/60 scale valkyries would be correctly sized. The VF-1 is a smaller fighter than the YF/VF-19, YF-21/VF-22, VF-0, and SV-51. The other valkyries are similar sized to the VF-1 I believe (in particular the VF-4 and VF-11).

I agree......if you don't mind waiting a couple of months I would go for the v2 1/60. Of course if your looking to get one now. Then you should go for the CHUNKY!!! :D

:ph34r:

I agree......if you don't mind waiting a couple of months I would go for the v2 1/60. Of course if your looking to get one now. Then you should go for the CHUNKY!!! :D

Feh, the guy says he wants to get a vf-1, not something that resembles a vf-1. :p

1/48 is the only vf-1 toy out of all the vf-1 toys around that actually looks like the line art. It has all the gimmicks (like an opening canopy, a pilot, missiles, and a gunpod that stows properly) that other people heavily modify a "chunky" to get and it's not a floppy POS like the MPC.

chuny vf-1 is very robust for playing daily (if you reall do so)

1/48 vf-1s is my personal top recommendation, especially the 1st/2nd version (dont remember where to get the info saying that the plastic used for the later version is with poor quality). Three modes are so~~~~ perfect. See the attached pic.

post-6149-1210690974_thumb.jpg

hehehe! now everybody is fighting here. chill guys. everybody likes macross here.

ok in my opinion... the best valk out there is 1/60 VF 0S(i know its not a VF 1S). in terms of quality and details he's the man... thats for good guys.

you might as well get a 1/60 SV 51. Nova or Ivanov type it does not matter, but i like the ivanov better. I think that this one is one bad dude. i find myself just staring at it sometimes. just get the simple VF 0S without the ghost booster.

I think that yamato toys are for playing. they are built so that the joints and hinges would stay as sturdy as the day you bought them.

Bandai items on the other hand are more like collectibles to me. they are masterpieces that i would like to admire behind my glass cabinets. =) they rust and turn yellow when proper sunblock is not applied. =)

Feh, the guy says he wants to get a vf-1, not something that resembles a vf-1. tongue.gif

Hush you! ^_^ 1/55 is a classic. It still looks good now. Telling someone not to buy that is like telling a Transformers fan not to buy G1 Optimus Prime, only the chunky is way more articulated FTW. Besides, Chuck Norris got a 1/48, and upon looking at it, the Bp8 broke. He bought a 1/55, and it broke him.

hehehe! now everybody is fighting here. chill guys. everybody likes macross here.

ok in my opinion... the best valk out there is 1/60 VF 0S(i know its not a VF 1S). in terms of quality and details he's the man... thats for good guys.

you might as well get a 1/60 SV 51. Nova or Ivanov type it does not matter, but i like the ivanov better. I think that this one is one bad dude. i find myself just staring at it sometimes. just get the simple VF 0S without the ghost booster.

I think that yamato toys are for playing. they are built so that the joints and hinges would stay as sturdy as the day you bought them.

Bandai items on the other hand are more like collectibles to me. they are masterpieces that i would like to admire behind my glass cabinets. =) they rust and turn yellow when proper sunblock is not applied. =)

He said he wants a VF-1. Built for playing? The Bandai will outlast the Yamato in that regard. Yamatos yellow worse, my old 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru is yellowed like hell!

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Hush you! ^_^ 1/55 is a classic. It still looks good now. Telling someone not to buy that is like telling a Transformers fan not to buy G1 Optimus Prime, only the chunky is way more articulated FTW. Besides, Chuck Norris got a 1/48, and upon looking at it, the Bp8 broke. He bought a 1/55, and it broke him.

He said he wants a VF-1. Built for playing? The Bandai will outlast the Yamato in that regard. Yamatos yellow worse, my old 1/60 VF-1A Hikaru is yellowed like hell!

:lol: The 1/55 is all powerful. More people will understand this eventually.

Purchase a 1/48 and the new 1/60 V.2, try them both out and see which you like best. Whichever of the two loses then off to e-bay it goes!!!

I personally like the 1/48 mostly because of size and availability to allow it to be customized. Even though the 1/60 v.2 is supposed to be perfect transformation, it really is far from it.