Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Haven't tried Lunar's releases yet.

I usually download Gattai, AiA and Shinsen.

Gattai, cus' they're usually the fastest (although AiA beat them this week with ep 8), then AiA, cus' I like their subs, then Shisen, cus' I can burn them onto DVD and they will play on my stand alone DVD player and TV.

I've had no problem getting Gattai's, AiA's or Shinsen's releases to play on my laptop using VLC and/or Media Player Classic.

The only Frontier dub that has given my trouble, was G.G. ep 8 (first one of theirs I tried), which had the subs and audio completely out of sync and lagging behind the video.

And yeah, this is the also the first time I've ever downloaded so many versions of the same anime.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Gattai are going to stop subbing Frontier. I hope it's not true as it would be a shame.

Graham

Is Gattai getting out of the game? Saw an updated Ep 8 that they just released today, comments as follows:

#

# All the conditions have been cleared; this is our last release. Final release has BONUS audio & script! ...

Would post a link, but I don't want to get spanked by the mods. :D I know there were a few members here from various subbing groups (Shinsen and AiA, I think) ... does anyone in the community know more about this? I can't say I blame them if they are: There's no shortage of groups rushing to sub Frontier, so many I haven't bothered to check maybe half their efforts.

If they're quitting, I'll miss them. They were the first kids of the block to get their subs out for the most part, much appreciated for rabid fans (me) who understand just enough words of Japanese to catch every 10th word (i.e., just enough to infer what's going on, but a complete lack of details ... maddening!).

Edit in: Doh! Must have missed it, but Graham already mentioned this above. Yep, looks like ep 8 is Gattai's last one after all. Bummer.

Edited by Batou

Yeah, I'd heard they were leaving the game because gg were releasing their subs before Gattai and it's pointless for a speedsub group to keep on releasing when they're being outsped by a normal group.

But even then, Gattai's translations made more sense than some of the bigger groups, they had the best encodes along with Aone&Menclave, so even if they're not doing their job as speedsubbers, I think they should just stay in the game as a regular sub group. The fact that they don't really bother with kareoke is nice too, as much as I enjoy nice looking kareoke, it's nice that they softsub it so you can get a HQ RAW with nothing in the way at any given time.

Or seeing as they have had some talks with gg abbout including their subs in the current release, they could even join for the rest of Macross Frontier, with Gattai doing the encoding and things would be pretty perfect. gg's kareoke isn't big and doesn't really get in the way like a lot of other groups, which is much more preferable to kareoke that takes up half of the screen.

Shinsen episode 6 is out. :D

at long last! :lol:

just a thought, when I tried AIA subs I noticed that the sound wasn't that good compared to those of shinsen and gattai.. it seemed bland.. unlike the much more refined sound of those from shinsen and gattae.. anyone noticed this? or am i just imagining things?

ah, i see. i was kinda hoping gg would update their ep7 release. oh well..

just watched shinsen ep6. great as usual. just thought the dramatic scene between alto and sheryl was handled better in the other subs.

now i'm eagerly waiting for ep7 ^_^

edit: nah, i take that back. for the most part shinsen best handled the conversation between alto and sheryl. just that gattai talked a bit more about sheryl not remembering her mom's face but that at least she had the earring as a memento. and when alto leaves, he says he's "taking" the charm with him and sheryl clarifies that it's just a loan and that he HAS to get back and return it (other subs had alto already borrowing it from the start). nice touches, i thought

Edited by Major Focker

Someone in the Ep#9 thread implied that Gattai was dropping the series. Do we know that for a fact, because they were my faves - big clear picture and okay subs.

They did indeed drop the series.

That's ashame. Who else can we get that has a 1280x720 picture and coherent non swearing subs? The only other group I know that did all 8 eps so far is AiA and they are in low-rez.

EDIT: What about Lunar Anime? Anybody like them?

Edited by DestroidDefender

Lunar's releases are quite good. All the songs are translated, which made some scenes rather busy with text, and I am sure my old P4 box cannot handle those scenes. One extra thing they do is they use a filter to reduce the semi-transparent TV station logo on the upper right. My only complain is they use "Galactic Nymph" instead of "Galactic Fairy".

Speed subs definitely have a place, even if they aren't the most readable, and I'm very thankful for the effort Gattai and now GG put forth to get them out quickly. Of course, when all is said and done, I go with the more "full bodied" subs, like Shinsen and AiA-IZ. But each has their role to play.

AiA as I said is not full rez. Shinsen is fine but they have only done up to #6.

MKVs -

I'm having trouble with MKVs on my pc - sound is 4-5 seconds ahead of the picture. Same with all my players. My "cccp" codec says it's the current one. The MKVs play fine on my mac with Quicktime so wtf.

Episode 9 reveals the whole Mikhail/Michel discrepancy (well at least to us :rolleyes: ).

The Japanese VA pronounciation of Micheal sounds like Mikhail (or Meekail), where as his nickname is Michel and only his friends call him that. At the end of episode 9 Alto refers to him as Michel for the first time in the cemetary.

AiA as I said is not full rez. Shinsen is fine but they have only done up to #6.

MKVs -

I'm having trouble with MKVs on my pc - sound is 4-5 seconds ahead of the picture. Same with all my players. My "cccp" codec says it's the current one. The MKVs play fine on my mac with Quicktime so wtf.

Windows Media Player seems to have problems syncing up the codecs. I have the same issue. But with the VLC player they sync up perfectly....go figure... :rolleyes:

Well, about Gattai, this is the subject of their IRC channel

BY THE WAY, WE'RE DONE as a speedsub group

So, hopefully they're back in the game, but as a normal sub group, rather than speedsubbers. Which can only be a good thing.

I have found I have to use both VLC and MPC depending on which codecs or encoding is used. I recently downloaded SDF-Macross with both sub and dubs and MPC won't recognize that it has dual audio so I have to use VLC.

MKVs on the whole are pretty stable IF you have a good player and the right codecs, but if you continually have issues with them, uninstall all your players and codecs, download the CCCP or k-lite packs and let those packs install the players for you so you know they all the right versions and are all compatible.

As for Gattai quitting, it sucks because I am quite impatient and they were doing a pretty good job of keeping me satisfied. lol

Edited by Chewie

It seems like AiA/I-Z have stepped up their game speed-wise, which I'm kind of happy about, but...

For some reason ep. 1 (not Deculture) and now 9 by them give me an "Invalid Public Atom" error when I open them in QuickTime (I'm on a Mac); VLC will open them fine but I can't play them on PS3 either. Anyone have a similar issue or know if there's a re-encode they did? My PS3 library just won't look right with episodes missing. :(

It seems like AiA/I-Z have stepped up their game speed-wise, which I'm kind of happy about, but...

For some reason ep. 1 (not Deculture) and now 9 by them give me an "Invalid Public Atom" error when I open them in QuickTime (I'm on a Mac); VLC will open them fine but I can't play them on PS3 either. Anyone have a similar issue or know if there's a re-encode they did? My PS3 library just won't look right with episodes missing. :(

I got it too...

:-(

Same here. Same problems. I prefer watching it on my TV(over PS3) then watching it on my computer. I like AiA/I-Z encodes but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the Shinsen version this time.

I have found I have to use both VLC and MPC depending on which codecs or encoding is used. I recently downloaded SDF-Macross with both sub and dubs and MPC won't recognize that it has dual audio so I have to use VLC.

Morgan stream switcher can help you ;)

FV

My personal hope is that once the DVDs start coming out, the subbers will do second versions of their subs. Those would probably be the keepers, and maybe your problems would be fixed. Maybe.

right now i'm watching the AiA, Shinsen and Lunar subs. Lunar for their high quality picture and okay subs. AiA because they usually come out pretty quick and their subs are okay. I like Shinsen subs the best overall but get all 3 so I have an excuse to watch an episode multiple times ^_^ Chihiro seems to be a new group doing Macross Frontier and I found their subs to be okay and downloaded their episode 9 because it was the first sub available.

Chihiro seems to be a new group doing Macross Frontier and I found their subs to be okay and downloaded their episode 9 because it was the first sub available.

Chihiro only subbed episode 9 to piss off the head of GG. So I would put their commitment in question for the moment.