Macross Frontier News Thread II *Read 1st post*

azrael

Speaking of popularity polls. Someone at the Animesuki forums has posted a scan from the June issue of Animage with character polls.

a14051364a9687cea3cc2bfib7.th.jpg

Seems that the Princess and the Queen recieved the same amount of votes

Only 43??? That's lame.

I'm left to wonder how Gundam 00 could possibly beat out Macross Frontier (by one ranking position).

SEED and SEED Destiny, despite their flaws, revitalized Gundam's popolarity in Japan. In terms of rating Gundam 00 was around 4/5% of share. Plus the first series of Gundam 00 is already ended, and the last episodes obviously have a lot of climatic fights, memorable deaths and what else. It will take a while to beat that.

FV

Yeah, but the Gundam 00 series itself had a lot of issues, imo. As spectacular as the last couple of episodes were, the rest of the series wasn't very good and the plot had a lot of problems.

What kinda problems? :unsure:

Besides Gundam vs Macross in terms of popularity? No contest....for now.

Can someone please explain me this? I just read it in the Macross Compendium episode 10 preview summary:

"*Notes*

- There will be a one-week break after this episode..."

:blink: ¿?

I heard that the TV station will have to give way to a broadcast of the Olympics.

EDIT: My source isn't reliable, so it may not be the reason. Besides, the Olympics start in August.

Edited by mike_s_6

Yeah, but the Gundam 00 series itself had a lot of issues, imo. As spectacular as the last couple of episodes were, the rest of the series wasn't very good and the plot had a lot of problems.

I think these days if you have an all male squad it pays off due to female viewers.

FV

That's just your opinion, and because of that, it doesn't mean that it's strange or wrong that Gundam 00 is ranked higher in popularity than Frontier. Story aside, as others have mentioned, 00 already finished half its run, while Frontier hasn't even hit double digit episodes yet.

I don't know why people are arguing about the popularity of Gundam shows, I mean c'mon there's no correlation between popularity and quality. Also think of the name of the magazine... "Newtype". Gundam 00 also just finished up 9-10 weeks ago and has the second half on the way in October so of course it's still going to be in the forefront of peoples minds. Now whether Gundam 00 will be able to hang around for years after it finishes airing like SEED, Eva and Geass (was still dominating polls well after the first series ended) have done is another question. Will it be out of site = out of mind for 00? It wouldn't surprise me if SEED is still polling well in 2011 and 00 is nowhere to be seen.

Also Frontier just started 9 weeks ago... this June issue was printed.. um 3-4 weeks ago? So these positions are based on what... the first 4 episodes? First 5? Sheryl should push for top 5 in the next mag especially after episodes 5-8. Frontier should leap frog 00 too, but it ain't touching Code Geass, just like Sheryl isn't going to go past C.C and Kallen. Code Geass, Lelouch, C.C and Kallen have had a stranglehold on these Newtype polls for the last 1.5 years.

Also for whoever was surprised at Eva being there the first rebuild movie sold 219k in it's first week a few weeks ago...

*rant. you've been warned*

I really hate these polls-of-the-moment. It's like reading MSN or some vapid pop music publication like NME. They try to pat me on the back or offer me approval based on their own benchmark for "pop culture cool" just because I'm watching something I enjoy. I like seeing Macross in the press as much as the next fan, but I want to see it for the right reasons; for being a good show with good characters and boundary breaking animation. Popularity for the sake of popularity is not my idea of a quality show deserving of recognition.

If any of these top shows/characters have any virtues other that being what's currently on the air and/or popular, I'm not seeing it. As much as I'm loving Macross Frontier and virtually everything about it, I'll preclude the series/characters from any "best of" list until the show is complete and has proved itself worthy of being labeled a great anime series.

... I mean c'mon there's no correlation between popularity and quality ...

As any casual stroll through FM radio or prime time network tv will demonstrate clearly. :D

Mediocrity is the great common denominator in most entertainment, I'm afraid.

What kinda problems? :unsure:

I'm on a mailing list full of Gundam fans (or was... it crashed a few of months ago, and the list admin apparently walked away a couple of years ago so most of the lurkers got lost when we set the new one up), and one of the guys there posted (paraphrase), "Why exactly am I rooting for the protagonists?"

This is a Macross forum and not a Gundam forum, so I don't want to start discussions over what is or isn't problematic about Gundam 00. But imo there are a number of issues with the series, pretty much all related to the plot, that keep it from being one of the better mecha series out there. The series has its moments, and I like some of the characters (Soma and Sergei, and Graham up until the stupidity in the series finale). But overall it's flat, imo.

For all who are interested, I have a photobucket account where I constantly add new fan pics from MacrossF, mainly of Klan Klan. You may notice that the Clan of Klan thread is closed so you may go here to view some nice pics (no nudity/sex/stuff). :)

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/mgwach/MacrossF/

Can't you just start another Klan thread and give a stern warning in the first post...?

Can't you just start another Klan thread and give a stern warning in the first post...?

Well, that would be up to the mods. I don't want to just start a new thread as they may think that I'm trying to get around them.

Mod Talk:

Limits where pushed and went over it. It was either to be closed or posting rights would being taken away.

Offending party knew it was a wrong yet had to just share it. A real good lapse of Judgement there. Next time don't share things like that.

To make it worst those that posted about how wrong it was also hit the quote post function. Resulting in the link being repeatedly re-posted.

I think you all need a little break from that topic. Chances are when and if things return it will be under a generic all characters from Frontier image topic.

That incident showed that these topics require special attention. Easier to keep track of one risque image topic instead of several.

Now don't anyone go on there own that start a topic or start re-posting images (even the cleaner ones). Rights were abused and everyone gets break. If a member decides to end that break before it offically happens they will get a specialized break of their own.

I'm on a mailing list full of Gundam fans (or was... it crashed a few of months ago, and the list admin apparently walked away a couple of years ago so most of the lurkers got lost when we set the new one up), and one of the guys there posted (paraphrase), "Why exactly am I rooting for the protagonists?"

Then your Gundam fans are not true gundam fans. I'm not saying i am one though since i prefer Macross.

Anyway, the point the guy made in that forum that i bolded....Gundam doesn't make a clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys. Traditionally it has always been an anime laced with anti-war sentiments and Gundam always has a story that proves it takes both sides to wage war, and both sides are at fault. Same goes for 00.

Mod Talk:

Limits where pushed and went over it. It was either to be closed or posting rights would being taken away.

Offending party knew it was a wrong yet had to just share it. A real good lapse of Judgement there. Next time don't share things like that.

To make it worst those that posted about how wrong it was also hit the quote post function. Resulting in the link being repeatedly re-posted.

I think you all need a little break from that topic. Chances are when and if things return it will be under a generic all characters from Frontier image topic.

That incident showed that these topics require special attention. Easier to keep track of one risque image topic instead of several.

Now don't anyone go on there own that start a topic or start re-posting images (even the cleaner ones). Rights were abused and everyone gets break. If a member decides to end that break before it offically happens they will get a specialized break of their own.

I think guidelines need to be set on what is deemed ok and what is deemed risque. I for one thought that the image itself is harmless and quite funny although the topic it touches on is kinda "birds and the bees" kinda thing and nothing explicit. Mods got culture shocked perhaps. :lol:

I don't think my post warranted overzealous moderating action as to close down the whole thread, but at least i wasn't banned without warning or anything so I'm not complaining much. I think a gentle warning and possibly a deletion of the offending post would suffice. Well since what's done is done, I suggest the mods put down a set of rules or guidelines for the imageshare topics before reopening it.

Sorry to all Klan fans. :(

What exactly happened with imagesharing, and where are "suspended rights"/break type rules posted so I know when such judgments are made and don't inadvertently break one?

Hopefully this doesn't come off as sarcastic or anything, I'm just genuinely confused.

What exactly happened with imagesharing, and where are "suspended rights"/break type rules posted so I know when such judgments are made and don't inadvertently break one?

Hopefully this doesn't come off as sarcastic or anything, I'm just genuinely confused.

I posted some guidelines in the B.O.I.N.G. thread that I think are pretty fair...and although I didn't get a "Yea" or "Nay," I noticed one of the mods checking the thread. So I guess that if he had anything to add, he would have.

OT, but what mailing list is this? Would this be the old GML? I used to post there years ago before I lost my taste for Gundam.

Then your Gundam fans are not true gundam fans. I'm not saying i am one though since i prefer Macross.

Anyway, the point the guy made in that forum that i bolded....Gundam doesn't make a clear distinction between the good guys and bad guys. Traditionally it has always been an anime laced with anti-war sentiments and Gundam always has a story that proves it takes both sides to wage war, and both sides are at fault. Same goes for 00.

If you knew them then you'd know that the first statement doesn't apply.

:p

They discuss new model releases, and the various side story things that have come out (to a certain extent). They enjoy for varying reasons just about every series from MS to Turn A to G. The major exception so far has been SEED Destiny, and now possibly 00. But the latter is still ongoing.

In most Gundam series, even if you're not entirely sure about the side that the protagonists are fighting for (i.e. Atlantic Federation in SEED), you can at least root for the protaganists' desire to survive or stay alive or persevere or whatever. Dumping the protaganists in a situation in which they have to fight or die (followed by the discovery that one of them just happens to be an amazing mobile suit pilot - though it doesn't always work that way) at leasts let you root for the protaganists in the hope that they make it out alive.

00 doesn't do that. Instead

we've got a group of volunteers following some vague plan that we don't really know much about that was supposedly crafted by some guy who died 300 years ago and that will, by blowing a bunch of stuff up, bring about world peace. Oh, and a LOT of innocent people are going to die (specifically stated in one episode early on). And right before he died, one character realized that the stated goal of the plan (i.e. World Peace) was potentially a lie.

There's some good "blow stuff up" episodes (though not nearly as pretty as the ones in Macross Frontier). But the plot is a huge mess in pretty much every sense of the word.

And that's why I question how high it is in the survey.

If you knew them then you'd know that the first statement doesn't apply.

:p

They discuss new model releases, and the various side story things that have come out (to a certain extent). They enjoy for varying reasons just about every series from MS to Turn A to G. The major exception so far has been SEED Destiny, and now possibly 00. But the latter is still ongoing.

In most Gundam series, even if you're not entirely sure about the side that the protagonists are fighting for (i.e. Atlantic Federation in SEED), you can at least root for the protaganists' desire to survive or stay alive or persevere or whatever. Dumping the protaganists in a situation in which they have to fight or die (followed by the discovery that one of them just happens to be an amazing mobile suit pilot - though it doesn't always work that way) at leasts let you root for the protaganists in the hope that they make it out alive.

00 doesn't do that. Instead

we've got a group of volunteers following some vague plan that we don't really know much about that was supposedly crafted by some guy who died 300 years ago and that will, by blowing a bunch of stuff up, bring about world peace. Oh, and a LOT of innocent people are going to die (specifically stated in one episode early on). And right before he died, one character realized that the stated goal of the plan (i.e. World Peace) was potentially a lie.

There's some good "blow stuff up" episodes (though not nearly as pretty as the ones in Macross Frontier). But the plot is a huge mess in pretty much every sense of the word.

And that's why I question how high it is in the survey.

I don't see how the stuff in spoiler tags proves your point about protagonists who don't know which side they are fighting for....but i say we bring this to the Gundam 00 thread.

OT, but what mailing list is this? Would this be the old GML? I used to post there years ago before I lost my taste for Gundam.

Yeah. Several years ago it switched over to the GML Mk. 2 as we called it (iirc, it was due to spam problems on the original list, but I don't remember). The guy who maintained the list actually disappeared from the list a couple of years ago, and it continued on auto-pilot until just a few months ago. It suddenly stopped one day, and no one could contact the old list maintainer. We managed to dredge up the names of some of the people who had posted recently and got a new list of sorts going (though it's pretty quiet at the moment - other than an occasional post about new model releases, the only thing discussed since Gundam 00 went into hiatus is the off-topic Macross Frontier), but all of the lurkers are gone as is anyone who hadn't posted in a while.