Macross Frontier Episode 3 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 3 Rating  

176 members have voted

1. 1. How was Epsiode 3 (Rating)

• Positive (Shelters are a great place to get to know girls)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I don't like jailbait or the Britney-wannabe)

`

Very nice very nice. How close were you on Triangler?

I nabbed the Triangler fan-transcription from gabrielarobin.com and fixed that as best as I could. So after I fixed that, there were about 5-6 errors compared to the official lyrics. It's mostly specific words and one entire sentence.

I really like Gattai's releases, they're clean clean clean.

I checked out a couple others, and hardsubbed karaoke and/or lyric translations are going to be a problem when there is singing in the middle of a wicked battle (and you just know it's going to happen!).

There are a lot of sites out there that are dedicated to anime lyrics, I just don't see the point in having them clutter up half the screen. :blink:

Either way, I find myself downloading AiA and Gattai's releases. AiA for compatibility, Gattai for archive; and I cross reference any dodgy looking translations. Big ups to both groups.

Edited by Sketch

(Mostly it involved changing things like "Micron" to "Miclone," so that it fits better with Animeigo's subs, keeping Zentradi-language dialogue intact if there is no corresponding Japanese subtitle, making Kaifun Minamy's cousin again...that sort of thing.)

But I think Kaifun IS Minmay's brother in DYRL... I know in SDF she says he's "like" a brother, but in DYRL he is never described as such and his character synopsis in the TIAS book says "Minmay's brother and manager". Don't want to ruin your party or anything, though..

But I think Kaifun IS Minmay's brother in DYRL... I know in SDF she says he's "like" a brother, but in DYRL he is never described as such and his character synopsis in the TIAS book says "Minmay's brother and manager". Don't want to ruin your party or anything, though..

Yeah...I've heard that, too. I'm not sure I buy it, though...I would say that they wouldn't change the relationships between characters that much, but considering they turned Laplamiz's fleet from working under Bodolzaa into his mortal enemies...well, I guess anything's possible.

Keeping it "cousin," however, does make it less confusing for people who have seen the TV show, and certainly there's nothing in the movie itself that contradicts it...she calls him "Niichan" in both the series and the movie.

So yeah...just another one of those little judgment calls that ensure that no sub will be "perfect."

I nabbed the Triangler fan-transcription from gabrielarobin.com and fixed that as best as I could. So after I fixed that, there were about 5-6 errors compared to the official lyrics. It's mostly specific words and one entire sentence.

Not too shabby. I wouldn't want to have to transcribe some of my favorite songs, let alone one in another language.

So far this series has done a great job paying homage to all the previous series, but also being stunning on its own. Did you catch the shot of the Monster? And how about that preview with Milia's red unit, and that signature Miss Macross yellow dress?

So far this series has done a great job paying homage to all the previous series, but also being stunning on its own. Did you catch the shot of the Monster? And how about that preview with Milia's red unit, and that signature Miss Macross yellow dress?

Red unit? Are you referrring to the Q-Raus?

Episode 3 was pretty sweet. I liked the little break in action and seeing more character development and other tidbits. The shelter scene was a nice homage to SDFM and DYRL and the jokes and back in forth between Altoh and Sheryl had me laughing. I hope to see Ranka belt out some Minmay classics in the Miss Macross competition. Little Monster tease and the Q-rau tease at the next episode preview have me wanting more.

I find Leon, the President's aide to be very shady. I just get that vibe from him.

Big thanks to AiA for the sub I downloaded this week. Ranka's completely loveable, Alto's growing on me, jury's still out on Sheryl, need to see more of the supporting cast, and...

Does anyone else feel like having some Tuna Buns right now?

One of the many things that’s really impressing me about this series so far is the extremely high level of detail that they are putting not just into the mecha, but also into the backgrounds and spaceships.

Some of the exterior spaceship shots in episode 3 really blew me away.

Graham

I'm a little behind all of you, waiting for crunchyroll to put up the episodes, but I'm also loving this series so far. As someone said, it's nicely rolling everything that came before it, all into one, plus more. It would be an incredible shame if this series doesn't get licensed here, and at this point, I'm hoping Funi picking up Aquarion is a preview of things to come.

:lol:

Anyways....I nominate Random Curiosity for "BEST SCREENSHOT OF AN ANIME" :ph34r:

t1708675_MacrossFrontier03Large20.jpg

Click on pic for larger version. :ph34r:

No sir...it would have to be this....i just wanna print this out and with a pair scissors and..... :ph34r:

post-1640-1208760164_thumb.jpg

No sir...it would have to be this....i just wanna print this out and with a pair scissors and..... :ph34r:

Getting ready for a B.J.?? :ph34r:

WTF!!!? Wait a minute I thought Macross was a mecha anime show and not some hentai stuff. :wacko:

Anyways lets just agree that BOTH scenes are quite disturbing because of the amount of detail. :D

Edited by grss1982

I guess that 2am timeslot DOES have its benefits...

...BTW. Anyone else expecting a second love triangle in:

Leon - Cathy - Ozma

Raises Right Hand. B))

But I'm having doubts about this though, since some MWers have commented that Leon seems to a be shady character. For all we know he could be a Varja spy or something. :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

One of the many things that’s really impressing me about this series so far is the extremely high level of detail that they are putting not just into the mecha, but also into the backgrounds and spaceships.

Some of the exterior spaceship shots in episode 3 really blew me away.

Graham

Yeah, the greebles on the 3D ships is spectacular, makes me wonder what are those tubes anyway.

Getting ready for a B.J.?? :ph34r:

WTF!!!? Wait a minute I thought Macross was a mecha anime show and not some hentai stuff. :wacko:

Anyways lets just agree that BOTH scenes are quite disturbing because of the amount of detail. :D

Must be the reason why they choose to broadcast Macross:F in the midnight slot, this show is definitely not for kids <_<

I really am enjoying this show so far. As I said before, AT LAST THERE IS SOMETHING INTERESTING TO WATCH ON JAPANESE TV.

Just feel I need to play devil's advocate for a little while, though.

Some questions still remain unanswered: Why did the President order the shell to fully open in the first episode, when in the exact same situation in Macross 7, Max ordered "Shell Down"? (Maybe I misheard, but it was obvious that the shell was never lowered).

Why does Mikhael have two names??

Why does the vajra survive getting its head blown off when it is killed by a tiny knife in the previous episode?

And the thing which is really beginning to bother me is this: at what point does all this stop being fan-oriented homages which we all enjoy, and start becoming just a re-hash? I don't think we are there yet, but I would like to have the show go off on its own tangent already. Yes, I like the original show and I love that the snuck in things like the litter robot thing, and the Minmay rescue thing redux was cool, but as I posted loast week, I certainly had a bad feeling that they're going a bit too far down this road.

Now we've had the scene where they were all trapped together. Normally in Macross this is used so tht the characters can relate to one another and open up a bit more, but they hardly had the time to do that here. I'm not sure what good it served the story to have them trapped together since it was only a few minutes, other than showing Sheryl's "I didn't get to where I am by just standing around!" attitude. Next week we've got "Miss Macross" and it seems Ranka is wearing that yellow Minmay dress. Hmm.... I'm torn between the Macross fan in me enjoying these "updates" and the critic in me saying "oh, here we go again.."

Here's hoping it gets genuinely original soon. Having said all that, I am really optimistic that after a while this series will get genuinely exciting and unpredictable. I'm waiting for that white-haired guy (Ypsilon from Votoms?) to show up. Oh, and chunky Konig Monster goodness.

And the thing which is really beginning to bother me is this: at what point does all this stop being fan-oriented homages which we all enjoy, and start becoming just a re-hash? I don't think we are there yet, but I would like to have the show go off on its own tangent already. Yes, I like the original show and I love that the snuck in things like the litter robot thing, and the Minmay rescue thing redux was cool, but as I posted loast week, I certainly had a bad feeling that they're going a bit too far down this road.

Now we've had the scene where they were all trapped together. Normally in Macross this is used so tht the characters can relate to one another and open up a bit more, but they hardly had the time to do that here. I'm not sure what good it served the story to have them trapped together since it was only a few minutes, other than showing Sheryl's "I didn't get to where I am by just standing around!" attitude. Next week we've got "Miss Macross" and it seems Ranka is wearing that yellow Minmay dress. Hmm.... I'm torn between the Macross fan in me enjoying these "updates" and the critic in me saying "oh, here we go again.."

Here's hoping it gets genuinely original soon. Having said all that, I am really optimistic that after a while this series will get genuinely exciting and unpredictable. I'm waiting for that white-haired guy (Ypsilon from Votoms?) to show up. Oh, and chunky Konig Monster goodness.

Clearly, they're treading a fine line. I enjoy the homages, and it doesn't yet feel like a remake of the original series to me. I think it has two original things going for it...the characters and the Vajra. Alto is deinfitely not Hikaru, Ranka is very different from pre-fame Minmay, and Sheryl is nothing like post-fame Minmay. Kathy Glass LOOKS like Misa, but doesn't really act like her. So, it stands to reason, if you put them in the same situations their counterparts faced, they'll make different choices (unless it's something obvious like rescuing the girl), which will spin the story out of the SDFM orbit.

Also, the Vajra are most assuredly NOT the Zentradi. Different enemies means different ways of dealing with them....and I doubt culture shock won't work with them (to say nothing of Anima Spiritia).

Yes, there are a lot of references to previous Macross stories, but I think this will be its own series by the time it finishes.

If it's not, I'll be the first to register my disgust...(well, maybe second. Duke Togo is more on top of things than most of us...).

That's another thing, I've stopped reading the manga because it's kind of like a cheap spoiler. I've read up to episode 3 I think, but I'll only pick it up again when I'm a little bit further into the TV show itself.

Now we've had the scene where they were all trapped together. Normally in Macross this is used so tht the characters can relate to one another and open up a bit more, but they hardly had the time to do that here. I'm not sure what good it served the story to have them trapped together since it was only a few minutes, other than showing Sheryl's "I didn't get to where I am by just standing around!" attitude.

Could've been an excuse to introduce a bit of realism regarding space to a viewing audience that's never gotten to see it before, and typically believes you pop like a balloon.

We've had TWO decompression incidents now, which is a rather stark comparison to the zero of everything else.

Okay, so there was one in the original TV series, and if I recall it was included for similar reasons.

But I'm not sure the Britai spacewalk counts, what with all the subsequent dialog talking about how badass Britai was for not dying immediatly when he hit space(certainly he WAS badass, but it undermined the original point of "hard vacuum isn't immediatly fatal").

And like that first time so very long ago, I'm sure there's people misunderstanding the point of the latest one and going "Gee, it sure is lucky they were near the emergency shelter" instead of getting that there's LOTs of these shelters peppering the ships so you're ALWAYS near one, and the ordinary civilians(okay, so our heroes aren't ordinary, but...) are trained to find the nearest shelter if they see a dome failing.

(It's probably less important in the main dome due to the massive volume of air and self-sealing dome, but on the smaller ones it would be a serious concern).

What we've learned from MacF so far:

1. You too can survive hard vacuum.

2. That doesn't mean you play around with it.

I just want to know why the VF-25 carries a lightsaber-knife.

Oh, and is it me, or do the lobsters have some sort of obsession with Ranka?

I just want to know why the VF-25 carries a lightsaber-knife.

I've always thought that Valks have needed some sort of melee weapon, better than a pin point barier punch for hand to hand (hand to claw?) combat.

Oh, and is it me, or do the lobsters have some sort of obsession with Ranka?

Sure seems that way.

Graham

Yeah I was surprised to find Frontier with these scenes, but then again it is a modernized Macross story that is taking ques from what content is in most new animes. But I still prefer this screen shot http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/calypso_tell.../4/c4c0e250.jpg