Tropic Thunder

EXO

I believe this was the film Owen Wilson was supposed to be in but was pulled from after the suicide attempt. It's a shame, I could see him being good in this film (although I realize a lot of people don't like his schtick).

Edited by jenius

I'm more about watching Robert Downey Jr in this one. If he pulls off Iron Man, which is the other movie I can't wait for, and after Kiss Kiss bang bang... I think he's gonna move up to my favorite actor's list.

I'll probably go see it. This movie might be pretty funny.

I clicked on this thread secretly hoping it was a sequel to Thunder in Paradise.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. :)

I used to watch Thunder in Paradise all the time when I was younger. I didn't realize how cheesy it was, until after seeing the "movies" recently. I can't find any of the episodes (in english, that is) anywhere online. I wish I could see the "Predator" episode again.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm more about watching Robert Downey Jr in this one. If he pulls off Iron Man, which is the other movie I can't wait for, and after Kiss Kiss bang bang... I think he's gonna move up to my favorite actor's list.

Its why I am going to see it.

The premiere was picketed by people protesting the portrayal of "retards" (not my word) in the movie. These people should have picketed every Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider ever made. What a bunch of Johnny-come-lateleys.

Taksraven

The premiere was picketed by people protesting the portrayal of "retards" (not my word) in the movie. These people should have picketed every Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider ever made. What a bunch of Johnny-come-lateleys.

Taksraven

It's even more hilarious because in Adam Sandler and lot movies, they're actually making fun of "retards" yet Tropic of Thunder is making fun of the people who make fun of "retards". So to choose this movie to picket, that's kinda retarded. <_<

Downey in blackface will probably have the political correctness squadron mobilised in full force. I would have to see it before I passed judgement, unlike others.

Taksraven

Actually oddly enough it hasn't. I think people realize that in the context of the movie it is funny and ok, especially when you have another black character pointing out how wrong and stupid it is that he is doing that in the movie. It was the main reason i wanted to see it. Downey playing an austrailian playing a black guy. They just don't make movies like this very often.

Funny as hell, first Ben Stiller movie I have actually liked. First Ben Stiller movie I've actually laughed at.

I've laughed at lots of ben stiller movies... laughed at... not so much with, or because of... but at. But I agree, this looks good.

I really like Zoolander. Actually I like movies where he plays characters, not when he is himself like the Meet the Parents series or Along Came Polly. Zoolander, Dodgeball, Heavyweights and the cartoon Two Stupid Dogs are my favorites of his. If you are wondering he played the motivational speaker like character on 2 Stupid Dogs.

Tropic Thunder is unlike any of the other movies I have seen Stiller do.

well, it's good to see him doing different things, unlike some other comedians who seem to keep playing the same character with the same shtick... over and over and over again.

well, it's good to see him doing different things, unlike some other comedians who seem to keep playing the same character with the same shtick... over and over and over again.

Well, he might be, to a certain degree, but the movie isn't about him. I don't even know if he gets one third the screen time. Hell, he may be the weakest thing in the film, and its still damn funny. There are really some great performances in this movie by people not named Stiller.

Edited by Duke Togo

Well, he might be, to a certain degree, but the movie isn't about him. I don't even know if he gets one third the screen time. Hell, he may be the weakest thing in the film, and its still damn funny. There are really some great performances in this movie by people not named Stiller.

honestly, can't say I care much either way, I'm watching this movie for Robert Downey Jr. The bits I've seen in trailers looks funny as hell.

The part of my brain that would let me find Zoolander funny must have died somewhere along the way because I honestly rank it as one of the most unwatchable and unfunny flicks I've ever seen...or almost saw, because I couldn't finish it. I think the only Ben Stiller character I appreciate so far is in the Royal Tannenbaums, but that's because he's supposed to be an unlikable assbag in it.

I'm open to this film changing my opinion though. If Enternal Sunshine could change my opinion of Jim 'King of All Assbags' Carrey*, then anything is possible. :)

*Actually Adam Sandler is more suited to wear the King of all Assbags crown because he still hasn't done anything I can tolerate.

Edited by eriku

Tropic Thunder is unlike any of the other movies I have seen Stiller do.

It just didn't have much stiller in it. I agree for the most part, Stiller doesn't add much. I HATED meet the parents.