Gary Gygax passes away

Its amazing to think how many modern - and very big - video game franchises use similar principles to those in Dungeons and Dragons; although that itself grew out of tabletop war games its quite possible Gary Gygaxs contribution to modern popular culture has always been somewhat underestimated...

Its amazing to think how many modern - and very big - video game franchises use similar principles to those in Dungeons and Dragons; although that itself grew out of tabletop war games its quite possible Gary Gygaxs contribution to modern popular culture has always been somewhat underestimated...

Agreed. Even big JRPGs like Final Fantasy began as little more than videogame versions of D&D. And even though it's been a long time since he's worked on it, he's still more or less the father of D&D. Considering that I play D&D, I've been playing videogames influenced by D&D, and hell I even watched the D&D cartoon as a kid, Gygax's passing is about as sad as when I found out there's no Santa.

Agreed. Even big JRPGs like Final Fantasy began as little more than videogame versions of D&D. And even though it's been a long time since he's worked on it, he's still more or less the father of D&D. Considering that I play D&D, I've been playing videogames influenced by D&D, and hell I even watched the D&D cartoon as a kid, Gygax's passing is about as sad as when I found out there's no Santa.

Having had a little more time to think, more so than even that, what Gary Gygax gave us was perhaps the greatest gift of all - imagination.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Having had a little more time to think, more so than even that, what Gary Gygax gave us was perhaps the greatest gift of all - imagination.

Absolutely. Oh, absolutely. (Which is why, to David, I say you don't know what you're missing.) I mean, even in a game like Neverwinter Nights that's got the D&D label on the box, there's only so much you can do. Trolls, for example. In D&D, Trolls regenerate unless they're hit with they're weakness. For 25 years, players have been burning run of the mill trolls with fire. In a videogame, either you kill it with fire or it kills you, or maybe they ignore that whole bit about having to use fire as long as you can bring its hit points to zero.

Our DM thought he'd throw us a curve, and pulled some kind of crystalline trolls from outside the standard Monster Manual. We took them down, but we didn't know how to kill them, and we'd only have a round or two before they started regenerating. Our solution? We had our rogue poke at them to keep their HP down, while the rest of us dug holes, then we buried the trolls. DM allowed it, rationalizing that yeah, the trolls would regenerate, but by the time they regenerated enough and dug themselves out, we'd be long gone.

Oh, and it was sonic, by the way. Sonic energy breaks crystalline trolls.

GG only put century old RPG's games on to paper in the form of a dice mechanic (which is something every current RPG is running away from). Healthily stealing left and right from dozens of sources along the way doing so. Also it's quite the reverse because RPG's own a huge amount of their popularity to the broad audience that VG's and computer games brought them.

Sure he opened the door by putting gambling and childs games together, but hundreds of others did the job of making RPG's what they are today. He's equal to Supermans creator or Bill Gates founding partner at MS.

Besides the guy invented trolling with his BS at CON's. <_<

Big roleplayer in my teens back in the 80s'.

Always more into Runequest, Traveller and Call of Cthulu than D&D though. Always found D&D rules too unrealistic.

Still Gary Gygax made a huge contribution to the industry, even if I don't personally like his system.

Graham

Also it's quite the reverse because RPG's own a huge amount of their popularity to the broad audience that VG's and computer games brought them.

But those videogames and computer games are directly descended from geek programmers trying to emulate D&D on the computer. I mean, World of Warcraft wouldn't be what it was today had Ultima Online not come before it. And Ultima creator Richard Garriot was a D&D player. The original Final Fantasy had a class system, extra attacks, an 8 level spell system, and spell slots, all ripped from D&D. There's nothing "quite the reverse" here; without D&D modern RPGs, be they computer or console, western or JPRGs, wouldn't exist.

You might not like him, and you can marginalize his creation of D&D or the actual game of D&D itself, but you're really kidding yourself if you think you can marginalize D&D's impact. That's like saying, "Henry Ford wasn't so great, all he did was rip off the carriage, which had been around for a long time before, and combined it with a combustion engine that the automotive industry is moving away from."

(Yeah, I know that despite research into alternative fuels, no one's really moving away from combustion engine. But I figure the analogy is apt, because no one's really moving away from dice... D&D is still king, and 4th edition is still d20. Even storytelling games like World of Darkness use d6's to resolve actions.)