Macross Frontier toys and/or models

Dante74

I think i'm turning senile. How come I didn't see that toy segment of the 25th anniversary special?

Is there a "Extended Edition" of the TV Special where these were shown? Since the program aired in Dec, I've been wanting to watch it precisely to know if some prototypes were shown...

Anyway...

I hope the size of the toys (if they're not models) stays in the final product... in the TV Special for Macross 7 a prototype VF-19 was presented and it was bigger (and better) than what was actually produced :(

Several Years??? Cry bloody murder!!!!

Ohh well, in that period i guess i'll have to spend it all on my kids (starting production of high end ruskiis' this year) education.. :p

Ohh and that custom billards table that i want...

From what I understand, Bandai is the main sponsor of the show and as such gets the exclusive toy and model rights for at least a couple of years.

Basically, these means that Yamato and Hasegawa are locked out, unless they negotiate a sub-licence directly with Bandai, which I can't see happening.

Graham

Though judging by SK's face in the pictures I get the impression his smile was being polite. I have no doubt he'd rather Yamato do the transforming toys and Hasegawa do the model kits. Bandai is too big and too commited to it's cash cow, Gundam, to really make quality toys of any other franchise...

Yeah, I love the look on Kawamori's face in that last photo. It's like he's thinking; "What they f#ck is this crap?" "Where's my Yamato, dude?"

Kawamori and Yamato actually work quite closely together on the 1/60 toy line.

Graham

Oh and Bandai better bloody well do the VF-171!

Graham

Are we absolutely sure Yamato won't be making Macross Frontier toys? In the Macross Frontier pilot episode, we get a pretty good view of a VF-171 launching from what appears to be a Yamato display stand, t-bar adapter attachment and all. I can't get a good screen grab; perhaps some member can help me out by posting one.

From what I understand, Bandai is the main sponsor of the show and as such gets the exclusive toy and model rights for at least a couple of years.

Basically, these means that Yamato and Hasegawa are locked out, unless they negotiate a sub-licence directly with Bandai, which I can't see happening.

Graham

damn u bandaiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!

Are we absolutely sure Yamato won't be making Macross Frontier toys? In the Macross Frontier pilot episode, we get a pretty good view of a VF-171 launching from what appears to be a Yamato display stand, t-bar adapter attachment and all. I can't get a good screen grab; perhaps some member can help me out by posting one.

No, thats the standard launcher we see the ARDM series use in DYRL... which the Guantanamo class is the follow on to (and in service for over fifty years.)

I was half-way joking with my launch arm post. I was amused by what looks like the t-bar adapter (look at the prongs on it, when the underside of the -171 is shown). The DYRL launch arm grabbed from the top, not the bottom, like what we see in the MF pilot episode.

Edited by Wicked Ace

Several Years??? Cry bloody murder!!!!

Ohh well, in that period i guess i'll have to spend it all on my kids (starting production of high end ruskiis' this year) education.. :p

Ohh and that custom billards table that i want...

From the Compendium...

PC 2865

Development on powerful biological weapons based on the RuskiiVFaussie, "Vile Series," begins. [Note: "Vile" pronounced as "Vi-Leh"] Vile is the abbreviation of the Protoculture term for "advanced (Ruskii) all-environ biological weapon." Trial production takes place on a scientifically advanced planet (the first planet of the star system later known as Australia), but because of unresolvable problems with the weapons' power exceeding the parenting capability requirements, trial production is halted.

PC 2871

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, trial production of the "Custom Billiard Table" for final tests is begun. The Custom Billiard Table tests are begun, but at the same time biological super dimension organs overload and extradimensional energy is released. Approximately one year after the emergence of the Billiard Table, the Proto-Ruskii's power begins to rapidly decline.

:lol:

Great. :angry: My worse fears concerning the Frontier License have been confirmed. :( Looking at those prototypes, I seriously doubt that Bandai will anything worthwhile with the license. Valks shouldn't be done in a scale smaller than 1/72.

I think i'm turning senile. How come I didn't see that toy segment of the 25th anniversary special?

Was this in the 25th Anniversary special?

I don't remember seeing anything like this.

Heh, weird, I don't remember seeing these in the 25th anniversery special.

Graham

It seems there are two versions of the tv special, this one has IAD's RC SV-51 in it and they also show these prototypes. Fast forward to 25.00.

Link to stage 6

Edited by Dante74

Come on guys it might not be all that bad. Heck they might also release these in the SOC line and they will rock

Welcome to Macrossworld.com, where we as an online community don't wait until the last minute to despair-- we're the first gather picks and torches, and gripe on these forums. :lol:

Too be honest, those early prototype pics, look fairly ok, considering they are unpainted in the rough rapid prototype samples.

Graham

I would have to agree. However, I am just wondering if these prototypes were deliberately made smaller for a larger product.

Graham, would this be a possibility?

If not, then I would bet that these are in 1/100 scale and not my favored 1/72. Hmmm... I wonder if Bandai would be releasing these as part of their "Master Grade" Macross Series. ^_^

I wish there was a videogame made with the VF-25 in it so yamato can make a game edition of the vf-25 in 1/60 scale.

If the series turns out to be succesfull, I'm sure a game will be produced, but that doesn't mean Yamato will be ably to get the license. I think Bandai will still have first dibbs on it.

I didn't say this would turn out to be horrible toys and models. I just don't have a good vibe from seeing those pics. The Hory Froating Head's expression adds to that feeling and makes me laugh out loud.

I hope that Bandai steps up and puts some time, effort, and care into doing some Macross Frontier toys, and doesn't go half-assed.

Oh yeah: VF-171 needs to be made damnit!

Edited by Sumdumgai

I would have to agree. However, I am just wondering if these prototypes were deliberately made smaller for a larger product.

Graham, would this be a possibility?

Nope, never done that way.

It's done either:

1) Larger initial sculpt -> smaller final product.

or

2) Same size initial sculpt -> same size final product.

Never done smaller inital sculpt -> larger final product.

Honestly we have no idea what these things being shown are yet. They maybe toys or models kit. They may be transforming or non-transforming. Heck, they may even be large inital sculpts for what are going to be scaled down to gashapon figures in final production. Without having a translation of what is being said in the TV program, it's useless to speculate too much at this point.

Graham

If the series turns out to be succesfull, I'm sure a game will be produced, but that doesn't mean Yamato will be ably to get the license. I think Bandai will still have first dibbs on it.

Bandai will make the game just like they make the Gundam games.

It will be awesome but only in Japanese with no English, the excuse will be Toynami believing they own all things Macross, and just like Battle Chronics we will get to learn enough Japanese to operate the game or just bumble through the menus.

Really happy that PSP and PS3 are region free but the way my luck is the Macross 25th game will be a "timed exclusive" for some other system.

Either way looks like Bandai will be running the show.

It will just depends on how succssful Macross F will be.

Take Code Geass as an example: Bandai was probably not expecting much out of it, but the show turns out to be extremely popular and the DVDs sold very well. When season one was airing, on the mecha side Bandai only released one basic high-grade model and one rather sucky toy (example). Well looks like they learned their leason and with coming season 2 a stream of toys are coming out of them, start with low end In-action figs and just today announced a high-end Super-HCM-Pro class toy.

For Macross F, Bandai may again wait-and-see and only release a few cheap stuff first. But if Bandai is already investing big bucks in Macross F anime then they will go all out the toys will be quite good.

It will just depends on how succssful Macross F will be.

Take Code Geass as an example: Bandai was probably not expecting much out of it, but the show turns out to be extremely popular and the DVDs sold very well. When season one was airing, on the mecha side Bandai only released one basic high-grade model and one rather sucky toy (example). Well looks like they learned their leason and with coming season 2 a stream of toys are coming out of them, start with low end In-action figs and just today announced a high-end Super-HCM-Pro class toy.

For Macross F, Bandai may again wait-and-see and only release a few cheap stuff first. But if Bandai is already investing big bucks in Macross F anime then they will go all out the toys will be quite good.

or bandai will take this oppertunity to destroy the macross franchise for another 20 years just so they can churn out more gundam shows. :p