1/60 perfect transforming vf-1 from yamato?

Shaggydog

I got back from anime expo last night and I got to handle the new 1/60 VF-1S at Overdrive's booth and here's some of my thoughts on this item. In addition I also took a few pictures of the box as well as the figure. The joints seem nice and tight with ratchets at the knees, elbows, ankles while everything else was a friction ball joint like the 1/48. I have to say the double jointed elbows makes quite a nice difference in posing the figure. When I lifted the toy up it was pretty light weight, but the plastic felt nice and sturdy. One thing I didn't really like was how the neck piece wasn't quite tight, but possibly it wasn't locked down all the way and I didn't want to force anything down on this sample. The hands are nice and meaty very MG style. Proportions and details also looked great. I would of transformed it, but that would mean I would have to snag a chair and fiddle with the thing for like an hour, however it seemed like it transformed like the 1/48 with a few differences. Overall I like the look of this new figure and I hope with the fast packs this one won't be as top heavy. Kudos to Overdrive and there friendly service I had a great time talking to one of the representatives there and I hope they succeed further in the business.

Is the new box just as deep as the 1:48 box?

no the box is deeper, but it's not as big and every inch is used inside, not wasted like the 1/48. I guess they got rid of the retard that designed that monstrosity.

Sweet! Now how 'bout some box pics, guys?! ^_^

I got back from anime expo last night and I got to handle the new 1/60 VF-1S at Overdrive's booth and here's some of my thoughts on this item. In addition I also took a few pictures of the box as well as the figure. The joints seem nice and tight with ratchets at the knees, elbows, ankles while everything else was a friction ball joint like the 1/48. I have to say the double jointed elbows makes quite a nice difference in posing the figure. When I lifted the toy up it was pretty light weight, but the plastic felt nice and sturdy. One thing I didn't really like was how the neck piece wasn't quite tight, but possibly it wasn't locked down all the way and I didn't want to force anything down on this sample. The hands are nice and meaty very MG style. Proportions and details also looked great. I would of transformed it, but that would mean I would have to snag a chair and fiddle with the thing for like an hour, however it seemed like it transformed like the 1/48 with a few differences. Overall I like the look of this new figure and I hope with the fast packs this one won't be as top heavy. Kudos to Overdrive and there friendly service I had a great time talking to one of the representatives there and I hope they succeed further in the business.

Hey SuperHobo, you didn't get to see what the top and back of the box was like? No pics? :) Cheers for the pics you posted i think the box looks good, not overly spread out, more compact.

GERWalk shots.....!!!

Didn't have time to fiddle, had an hour til dealer tables closed and we wanted to watch Appleseed in 35mm..subbed.

(I luved it!!)SAY NO TO BLUETOOTH!! :lol: !

Saw the MW posse said Peace, grabbed some shots, and bounced.. :D :D Good to see some of you guys there.

I did get to pick it up far a couple seconds, felt nice, i did get to change the pose a little for my pics but would have liked to articulate it more, i was scared of breaking it , didn't wanna be "that guy".

That was production piece???

I think it weighed little less than Toynami's??like a big Yamato 1/100...

I didn't notice if it had screws in legs to separate legs. i would wanna fill in those legs to make them a bit heavier, for stability.

Maybe i'm just used to ol' skoo die cast ( yamto/bandai) then heavy plastic in the toynami's

Actualy it felt like heavy model,die cast verniers woulda been nice...the articulation was smooth and buttery...( again with the butter)...

I aint selling my old 1/60's totally dif creature IMHO...

post-698-1215475351_thumb.jpg

post-698-1215475376_thumb.jpg

post-698-1215475399_thumb.jpg

Edited by orguss01

Wow I have to say after getting my hands on an old 1/60 yammie valk. I have to say yamato has come a long way so far... Im surprised at how bad the original 1/60 vf-1 was compared to this version and what we have now lol. The plastic on the old yammie vf-1 was yellowed and it wasnt even exposed to UV light from the sun or anything...

Also the sculpt by comparison was really terrible and low in detail compared to whats out now and although there was more metal on the toy, it just felt very cheaply made and not thought out overall. Im surprised this company made it this far after looking at the old VF-1 valk... This shows that yamato does listen to its customers and has improved greatly ever since. Good job yamato!

So how do you all feel about the removeable fuselage gimmick? Personally, if they don't include an extra, I don't plan on buying an extra VF-1 just to attach it's fuselage to another one. Would rather have side covers over this unnecessary gimmick.

Wow I have to say after getting my hands on an old 1/60 yammie valk. I have to say yamato has come a long way so far... Im surprised at how bad the original 1/60 vf-1 was compared to this version and what we have now lol. The plastic on the old yammie vf-1 was yellowed and it wasnt even exposed to UV light from the sun or anything...

Also the sculpt by comparison was really terrible and low in detail compared to whats out now and although there was more metal on the toy, it just felt very cheaply made and not thought out overall. Im surprised this company made it this far after looking at the old VF-1 valk... This shows that yamato does listen to its customers and has improved greatly ever since. Good job yamato!

You have to understand that the old 1/60 came out years ago and was a very good (the best?) representation of the VF-1 in toy form in its day.

You have to understand that the old 1/60 came out years ago and was a very good (the best?) representation of the VF-1 in toy form in its day.

I know what your saying but the design really hasn't stood the test of time... I have an old VF-1 chunky monkey and that IMO still looks way better than the old 1/60 yamato valk.

Another thing that bugs me about the fuselage gimmick is that you need that large clip to attach it to the arm. I know in the episode where Roy attaches the VF-1D fuselage, there was some kind of hidden attachment that allowed him to stow it under the arm and not some oversized clip that Yamato came up with. I don't see how Yamato couldn't have made some hidden peg in the fuselage that clips to the back side of the arm through a hole or vice versa.

Another thing that bugs me about the fuselage gimmick is that you need that large clip to attach it to the arm. I know in the episode where Roy attaches the VF-1D fuselage, there was some kind of hidden attachment that allowed him to stow it under the arm and not some oversized clip that Yamato came up with. I don't see how Yamato couldn't have made some hidden peg in the fuselage that clips to the back side of the arm through a hole or vice versa.

I totally agree with you.

I think Graham could have at least recommended they do this. It's not like it's impossible, it just takes a little more effort on Yamato's part.

post-2246-1215523548_thumb.jpg

The plastic on the old yammie vf-1 was yellowed and it wasn't even exposed to UV light from the sun or anything...

The only 1/60 I have that's noticeably yellowed is Hikaru's 1A. Which is why it is in battroid hiding under the armor. As you said though relatively no light exposure and it's seriously yellowed in spots as if I chain smoked in my home...