1/60 perfect transforming vf-1 from yamato?

Shaggydog

I got back from anime expo last night and I got to handle the new 1/60 VF-1S at Overdrive's booth and here's some of my thoughts on this item. In addition I also took a few pictures of the box as well as the figure. The joints seem nice and tight with ratchets at the knees, elbows, ankles while everything else was a friction ball joint like the 1/48. I have to say the double jointed elbows makes quite a nice difference in posing the figure. When I lifted the toy up it was pretty light weight, but the plastic felt nice and sturdy. One thing I didn't really like was how the neck piece wasn't quite tight, but possibly it wasn't locked down all the way and I didn't want to force anything down on this sample. The hands are nice and meaty very MG style. Proportions and details also looked great. I would of transformed it, but that would mean I would have to snag a chair and fiddle with the thing for like an hour, however it seemed like it transformed like the 1/48 with a few differences. Overall I like the look of this new figure and I hope with the fast packs this one won't be as top heavy. Kudos to Overdrive and there friendly service I had a great time talking to one of the representatives there and I hope they succeed further in the business.

post-5389-1215370676_thumb.jpg

post-5389-1215370693_thumb.jpg

post-5389-1215370713_thumb.jpg

post-5389-1215370731_thumb.jpg

Looking good, but still no side covers and judging from the box layout it isn't going to happen either.

Quite disappointed about this.

The floppy head comes from the mis-transformation I think.

If you look at the third pic closely you can clearly see that the fuselage isn't sticking out between chest-plate and head.

Edited by lechuck

anybody pre-ordered this valk? where is cheapest place can you get this?

I pre-ordered mine through LOS at laftoys.com a while ago...but I believe he is sold out. It would seem that the cost with shipping from him pretty much matches up to the price from most over seas shops.

:ph34r:

I specifically looked for side covers when I was in Japan and didn't see any. Sorry guys. The one I looked at didn't have any inserts or instructions yet so I guess there's an outside chance but I'd say it's pretty doubtful.

Hopefully, either Yamato will figure out that we want side covers and include them in future releases or someone here will make some available. Hopefully someone will be able to sculpt one from scratch instead of waiting for the V.2 1/60 GBP to come out and recast the side covers from that.

Hopefully, either Yamato will figure out that we want side covers and include them in future releases or someone here will make some available. Hopefully someone will be able to sculpt one from scratch instead of waiting for the V.2 1/60 GBP to come out and recast the side covers from that.

Hi, all. I'm a total noob when it comes to Macross toys, I've never handled one, and my first ever valk would be this 1/60 V2. With that, I really don't know what a side cover is. Why's it such a big deal? could someone post a pic of a side cover and how it looks when attached to a valk? Thanks :)

It really isn't a big deal at all (Personally, if they're not built into the toy then I don't like them). When a Valk toy is in battroid mode there are gaps under the armpits that let you see inside the toy. In the anime those big gaps aren't there. When Yamato made their 1/48 version GBP they created the gray part in the armpit pictured below:

Hikaru%20GBP%20Covers.jpg

It's just the same as the intake covers, they're removable too, so it's not like it's out of the question for Yamato to make the effort to include them.

No, I agree with that. It's not unreasonable to ask yamato for them. But i don't need to take the intake covers off to transform it and I usually don't... so again, I don't care either way.

It's just not as big of a deal to me as the latch on the back of the back pack or the fact that now the chest piece is shaped wrong (the indent where the head sits should be much deeper).

For the cost Yamato should include all the bells and whistles... side covers, fixed pose hands, lots of tampo markings, and lots of THIN decals for those that like to customize.

Sadly, I look that these new photos and can not get excited.

I have a 1/60 VF-1S Strike and all the old two seaters.

Are these news one really that much greater and worth the money?

I could get excited about the Minmay Guards, Alaska Base, or the LV-1.

Or perhaps a Max VF-1S so I don't have to make one.

It's just the same as the intake covers, they're removable too, so it's not like it's out of the question for Yamato to make the effort to include them.

My thoughts exactly! Leaving out the side covers is like leaving out the intake covers. My favorite mode is Battroid, so not including them really sucks. I think Battroid looks incomplete without them. I was fortunate to pick up extra recast sets for my 1/48's. I wouldn't display them in Battroid mode without them. I think it's a big insult to collectors that Yamato can include them with the 1/48 GBP armor (if it wasn't such a big deal to them, why even bother including them with the GBP armor when they really aren't needed for the armor), but not with the Super/Strike armor parts. I'm really holding off on getting the new 1/60 because of the lack of side covers. It bothers me that much. That's great that alot of you don't mind, but for me, it's a major issue. If I do cave in and buy one, it'll most likely stay in fighter/gerwalk mode. The side covers are seen everytime you get a side view of a Battroid in the tv series or DYRL, so why doesn't Yamato make them standard parts?!