Speed Racer the Live Action Movie

Ladic

Speed Racer" Moves To May 9thBy Garth FranklinMonday March 12th 2007 8:00amWarner Bros. Pictures has moved the release date for its big screen adaptation of "Speed Racer" up two weeks from May 23rd 2008 to May 9th 2008. They've also set the film for a day-and-date release in most international markets.

The aim is to give the film "maximum playability" in most international markets before the start of the European Soccer Championships. The Wachowski brothers are directing the high-octane actioneer based on the classic anime series about a young car racer.

The film is now slotted comfortably between "Iron Man" on the 2nd, "Narnia: Prince Caspian" on the 16th, "Indiana Jones IV" on May 23rd, and the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" on the same day.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070312a.php

i liked the cartoons as a kid, but how will this translate to the big screen?

A Speed Racer movie...i wonder if this will happen:

"Go Speed Racer...Go Speed Racer....Go Speed Racer GOOOOOOOOO!!!"

"Intodaysepisode,ourheroSpeedRaceronceagainmeetsthemysteriousRacerX.WhatisRacerX'sagenda?Findoutnext,afterthiscommercialbreak!"

I never liked Speed Racer even as a kid. I find it too corny and was too engaged with MASK, Transformers and Robotech to care about Speed Racer. And ZOMG the chimpanzee....is annoying.

Who is supposed to star in "Speed Racer"?

and Whats up with the remake of "the day the earth stood still"?

edit : for got to ask about Nanria: Prince Caspian the live BBC

version wasnt that great Though I never read the book this has

to be loads better that what i've saw.

Edited by Macross73

Eh. The idea of the live action remake of the localized version, specifically, of a foreign show never sits well with me. I'm reminded of the Disney plan to make a 'Starblazers' movie that recast the USS Arizona in place of the Yamato.

I heard somewhere that Vince Vaughn wants to be RacerX in the film. Interesting.

good for him, does he realize he's never done anything in his life to make him the racerX type?

Maybe he and will ferrel can be in it together and do lots of gay jokes and run around in their underpants!

It'd be rad too if the chimp is done in really obvious 3d so that audiences can say "man those CG's were really cool looking, didja see those CGs?"

hollywood. SOMETHING FKIN NEW PLEASE.

Who is supposed to star in "Speed Racer"?

and Whats up with the remake of "the day the earth stood still"?

edit : for got to ask about Nanria: Prince Caspian the live BBC

version wasnt that great Though I never read the book this has

to be loads better that what i've saw.

I actually like the BBC Narnia series but they really cut down both Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader to be about half the length of the other installments of the series calling it (on video at least) Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Where as it's being treated as a seperate movie in the new series. I'm not a huge Narnia fan... I've read the book, but I dunno... I'm not one of those people who think Lewis is all that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i thought speed and his sister were like 15 and 12.

Is the movie going to be as randomly violent as the tv show? I remember one episode where speed was racing go-karts with other kids. He nudged one of the other kids off the track, the kid went over a hill and out of view and then KABOOM, big explosion.

cut to speed whos thinking "imustwinformyfamily" or some crap

Hmm, not too bad. Definitely not so obviously "corvette-based" as the few other replicas of the Mach 5 out there. The wheel arches are too big for the body lines, though. And don't get me started on those fuggin "dub" wheels--what the hell are those, like 22"s or something? That "donk" crap is the ultimate expression of having more money than common sense. One fad that I can't wait for to die out; go the way of the dodo, like fuzzy mirror dice and custom vans with spaceships painted on the sides... <_<

According to IMDB the Wachowski brothers are doing this movie. No actors are listed yet however.

Dont'cha mean the Wachowski twins?

One of em' was undergoing a sex change last I'd heard.

I watched Speed Racer back in the 70's when I was all of 7. It was very, very cool for me at the time. I watched SR back in the late 80's and it only then that I realized how campy and cheesy it truly is.

Just FYI, it's now Andy and Lana Wachowski, not Andy and Larry. :) (You'll find lots of references to "Linda" but it seems s/he prefers Lana now)

And those wheels suck, they're about +4 from what they should be. I also think the car should be "smoother" overall---IMHO the Mach 5 shouldn't have a single ridge, edge, or angle. Pure curves.

And those wheels suck, they're about +4 from what they should be. I also think the car should be "smoother" overall---IMHO the Mach 5 shouldn't have a single ridge, edge, or angle. Pure curves.

I agree... too many of the curves have really been flattened out. My favorite rendition of the Mach 5 in 3D is the Club-M model.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then again I'm also a fan of the 1997 remake of Speed Racer so I would have been happy to see this one used as the movie car too...

IPB Image

Carl

Just FYI, it's now Andy and Lana Wachowski, not Andy and Larry. :) (You'll find lots of references to "Linda" but it seems s/he prefers Lana now)

Ha! That's funny. :)

So in the live action Speed Racer movie we will probably see most of the characters in leather and S&M bondage, there will probably be a rave/mosh scene, and Speed himself will gradually change into a woman throughout the movie. ;)

I've heard the same version about the Wachowski sex change. It was said that Matrix two and three were made just to raise the money

And I think that is why the second two Matrix movies were so bad.

I agree with WWWMWWW, they should've left the Mach 5 the way it was in the series. I like the wider rounder shape. The one pic that was posted looks more like an 80's Vette that was converted.

Ha! That's funny. :)

So in the live action Speed Racer movie we will probably see most of the characters in leather and S&M bondage, there will probably be a rave/mosh scene, and Speed himself will gradually change into a woman throughout the movie. ;)

Please. :rolleyes:

I agree with WWWMWWW, they should've left the Mach 5 the way it was in the series. I like the wider rounder shape. The one pic that was posted looks more like an 80's Vette that was converted.

whew, yeah seeing this thing next to such a great rendition of the original really sends it home. The original is pure sex while the remake is a little too "sunday sunday sunday, s-s-speed racer-acer-acer and truck-a-saurus ROCK Qualcomm stadium-adium-adium!!!"

Does anyone have any photos of this thing with people around it? maybe another angle and or some kind of proof that it's a real car. IMHO it still looks fake.

Hmm, come to think of it, when you study that pic for a bit, it does look more like a Photoshop than a real car.

Overall, it's safe to say the the Mach 5 has arguably got to be one of the most difficult cars to translate from TV image into real-life 3D version ever, in any scale...

I found some more info here:

http://community-2.webtv.net/bobrady2/speedracermach5/

That I wanted to share. Here is a nice picture of the underside of the Club-M model:

IPB Image

And here is another picture and some more info on the real Y2K car:

IPB Image

In the simultaneous commemoration of the 30th anniversary of MACH GO GO GO and the debut of the 1997 remake, Tatsunoko commissioned a 1:1-scale model of the redesigned Mach Five. After the end of the new series, the replica was made fully functional, cleared for use on public roadways, and ultimately sold in an auction that ended on November 30 of the same year. The lowest successful bid for the set (described as "1 Mach-Gô . . . The only one of its kind in the world; and 1 Helmet . . . Medium-sized") hit ¥1,000,000. The price of the winning bid remains uncertain.

Enjoy,

Carl

• 5 months later...