what's ur Fav aircraft in the world?

Lightning

I've got some unusual likings in aircraft... So here's mine.

IL-2 Sturmovik

FW-190

Spitfire

Me-262

I'm a bit of a WW2 fighter nut...

BTW this has nothing to do with my recent purchases of IL-2 and IL-2 Forgotten Battles. Nothing at all. ;)

u know, the F/A-22 was originally supposed to be a F-15 "upgrade"/redesign, but it didnt really fly with congress. My thinking is the F-18E/F is a "upgrade"/redesign that might as well be a totally different aircraft compared to the previous variants, so why did it get the congress OK, when the F-15F/ F/A-22 didnt at first?

Edited by Lightning 06

u know, the F/A-22 was originally supposed to be a F-15 "upgrade"/redesign, but it didnt really fly with congress. My thinking is the F-18E/F is a "upgrade"/redesign that might as well be a totally different aircraft compared to the previous variants, so why did it get the congress OK, when the F-15F/ F/A-22 didnt at first?

Because con-gress is the opposite of pro-gress. :huh::p:D:rolleyes: <_<

I'm on a roll today.

Here's a silly pic I found. I don't know who made it.

post-26-1066871549_thumb.jpg

Maybe Crom could keep it on topic for once. <_<

Another of my favs the P-61 Black Widow.

CROM is my God, and he lives in the Earth... and YOU are the one who brought up the political crack. :rolleyes:

My favorite prop driven aircraft is the F-4U Corsair. Big, ugly, powerful. The Mustang would be my favorite but I lean towards Naval aircraft.

As for jets, I absolutely love the F-14 Tomcat. Big, PRETTY, and powerful! Thinking of a carrier flight deck with only Hornets turns my bowels badly :angry:

the f/a 18... the volvo of the navy :rolleyes:

mine would be the SR-71 blackbird... ecological nightmare that it was :unsure:

kind of funny how many people can't spell the names of the ancient ones properly...

oh well... better "CTHULU" than the goat with a thousand young or some of the nasty ones...

ambrose bierce did it before lovecraft just in case anyone cares :unsure:

I will never fear a god who cares about mortals... it's the gods who simply want to eat the planet that make me nervous :blink:

[gee... what to do taday... I know... why not summon one of the gate keepers and possibly lose my soul to something unmentionable and/or destroy the planet]... thank the heavens they ommited many chapters when they released the necronomicon in paperback else some dumb-ass somewhere would have... :blink:

why anyone would want to risk their life just to have the crap scared out or them and possible be eaten is beyond me :blink:

My favorite has been the F-16

2nd favorite is Mig-29

I love the rivalry these 2 planes had

And that story about the Iraqi planes in the Gulf War is something else! I never knew that those Russian planes still had a can of whoop ass in them. haha.

and remember people, without this basic equation that Col. John Boyd developed, we wouldnt have a GOOD F-15 and F-16

E_M_theory.jpg

(sorry, i happen to be reading his autobiography right now)

Edited by Lightning 06

For me my two favorites that are currently flying combat birds are:

A-10 (best tank killing aircraft ever concieved by man)

Su-47 (slap on TVEs and even better, I love FSU and rugged super manueverable fighters, that plane could spank the F-22 anyday, and this weekend should prove that.)

If I missed this I'm sorry, but I don't think that I did. You mentioned the Corsair, but not the Hellcat? The plane with THE highest kill ratio in the Pacific? So tough it could lose a cylinder in the engine and still purr like a kitten? I think its obvious what my first pick is. F6F Hellcat

Second, Tomcat. Great lines on that one.

Now, if someone builds a VF, I'll have to reconsider.

F-8 crusader. Last of the Gunslingers.

MiG-25 and Su-15TM, ooooo I love cold war fighters!

B-1B

B-52 -- Did you know that it is expected to be in service until 2040? That's almost 100 YEARS of service! I'll try to find the link...

Honorable mention:

MiG-21

Il-2m3

Su-25

F-105 Thud

Bristol Beaufighter TF.X

MH-53J Pave Low III -- Meanest helicopter ever. Period.

As for jets,  I absolutely love the F-14 Tomcat.  Big, PRETTY, and powerful!  Thinking of a carrier flight deck with only Hornets turns my bowels badly :angry:

Amen to that brother! I am gonna miss the Tomcat. I just wish I was able to see the plane in person and sit in the cockpit. :(

I love the Osprey...here's a SCI-FI version of the Osprey. Okay, they really don't look the same, but when I saw Aliens, I just thought of the Osprey.

1743975_full.jpg

Didn't they cancel the VM-22 Osprey? Man, I remember the military making a big deal about this aircraft along with the ATF, B2 Spirit, X-29, and C-17 back in the mid 80's.

The Good ol' Reagan days when it was good to be greedy and a Republican.

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

For those wondering, the forums Cmd McBride mentions in the above post are at http://www.lo-mac.com/

Interesting anecdote--I wonder how much is true! Hm. At least some is corroborated. Lots of reports that Speicher was the pilot of the Hornet downed by a MiG-25.

Any luck finding other sources to verify what McBride said? I know people on other forums who are very skepitcal(sp) of a F-15 being shot down.

For those wondering, the forums Cmd McBride mentions in the above post are at http://www.lo-mac.com/

Interesting anecdote--I wonder how much is true! Hm. At least some is corroborated. Lots of reports that Speicher was the pilot of the Hornet downed by a MiG-25.

Any luck finding other sources to verify what McBride said? I know people on other forums who are very skepitcal(sp) of a F-15 being shot down.

It seemed wierd to me, as well, but for some reason, it didn't occur to me that it might be BS.

and remember people, without this basic equation that Col. John Boyd developed, we wouldnt have a GOOD F-15 and F-16

E_M_theory.jpg

(sorry, i happen to be reading his autobiography right now)

Okay, can somebody translate this???????? :blink:

okey dokey, here ya go.

the P sub s is the energy rate of the aircraft

the T is thrust

the D is drag of the aircraft

the W is weight

and the V is the velocity of the aircraft

so the basic equation reads: (thrust - drag / weight) x Velocity

Many people believe Speicher's F-18 was lost due to mid-air collision with a MiG-25, not shot down by it. (Mostly this is based on info by the other pilots in VFA-81 on that mission---VFA-81 rocks) I have no love for the 18, but it is an amazingly strong aircraft. They almost always survive the first missile hit and come home. It takes either a HUGE missile, or multiple missiles to bring them down. But being hit by the world's fastest fighter will surely take it out.

::gets out Gulf Air War book:: F/A-18C #163484, VFA-81, Modex AA 403. January 17, 1991, first combat loss of Desert Storm. Officially listed as downed by SA-6 SAM. (One of the few big enough to take out a Hornet in one shot). However, due to the fact that the rest of the squadron was practically engaged with a MiG-25, and they saw the MiG-25 in Speicher's area, and there were no other SAM's around, it seems likely that the MiG-25 got him, and not a SAM. As I said, lots and lots of debate.

Speicher's "saga" if you'll call it that is still a big thing in the aviation community. His status has been switched from KIA to MIA. Still don't know where he is. And I'm not sure if they ever had proof the F-18 remains they found in the desert was his. (I think they do). But the big debate is whether he could eject, and if he survived the ejection. Canopy/seat condition are of course the biggest clues, but the canopy wasn't where it should be, for either ejecting or not. Many believe the Iraqi's messed with the wreckage before we found it, as a lot of it simply didn't make sense.