Since I Can't Get Toynami To Return Emails

sqidd

Junk.

I forgot who, but someone here bought a SuperScale VF from Toynami and it arrived with a broken arm. Apparently they're brittle for their size. He also said it arrived with lots of dings and scratches, not to mention the statue's poor detailing. On top of that, I believe they're discontinued, but if you really must have one you can try ebay.

I'm not surprised they are junk. They would need to cost a fortune to be that big and very detailed and durable.

I'm still curious how much they are though. If they are expensive ($500+) the they are junk. If they were cheap ($200 or so) then they may be cool enough to buy because of their size. But if they ding easy or arms fall off they aren't worth anythig.

I'm not surprised they are junk. They would need to cost a fortune to be that big and very detailed and durable.

I'm still curious how much they are though. If they are expensive ($500+) the they are junk. If they were cheap ($200 or so) then they may be cool enough to buy because of their size. But if they ding easy or arms fall off they aren't worth anythig.

If I recall correctly they retailed for 3000-3500 dollars back in 20002-3 when they were released. There was a toywiz article that featured them that had MPCs on the cover. IMO they look like a giant non-posable super posable. Me thinks, definetly not worth the money.

i'm pretty sure these were just an attempt to make money off of what originally was intended to be store displays. Store displays are typically static and more or less crappy but they draw your attention. Imagine one of these superscales at a convention with all the MPCs in front of it. It's the MPCs you're meant to buy. Since Toynami took the effort though to make the super scales they figured they'd actually make more and sell them but c'mon, who besides store owners would buy them at any cost? It was all just a big failure but once in a blue moon one does pop up on eBay so a few people apparently bit on them.

Yep, each one was listed at $3000 plus shipping. Limited edition figures with a metal plate indicating their production number.....

I think they sold like two or three of them....

-Kevin

really? that many? I think I saw these things at an anime expo... they were pretty hideous.

I asked George Suhn about them at AX 2005 and he said they made 5 VF1S's and 2 each of the other ones. He said thats exactly how many they sold. I got the impression that he wasn't going to make any more.

As far as design they are a scaled up version of this model kit only fixed pose and as everyone else pointed out, very poorly made:

b1217_box.jpg

im1217-11b.jpg

I saw one of these "giant" Vf-1js at a toystore in LA on the third street promenade in July. If I remember correctly it was a Miriya color. It was on display and it was pretty ugly. It looked like a poorly made 1/144 scale model blown up and it looked quite heavy although I did not try to pick it up.

You would be better off getting a modeler to do you a large custom or hire a sculptor.

I mean for that money you could 3D scan a 1/48 yamato in your favorite pose, or a nice 1/72 Hasegawa model and have it 3D "printed" in foam core or wood or whatever material you want and then paint it or have an artist paint it and that would look much much much better. Actually that would cost a bit more than 3Gs but it would be cool! With these 3D scan and 3D milling machine "printers" they can do any scale. You could make one 8 feet tall!

Oh, how sweet would it be to have a valk in batt mode done in bronze!? Put it in the middle of a coy pond with bamboo fence? Macross Zen Garden!!!

laugh all you want, but when you see him in person, the effect is truly striking. Like a baseball bat to the back of your head.

I thought the costume thing was a joke. There's a guy in there?

Ok, he gets more credit. I thought it was a big display.

I saw one of these "giant" Vf-1js at a toystore in LA on the third street promenade in July. If I remember correctly it was a Miriya color. It was on display and it was pretty ugly. It looked like a poorly made 1/144 scale model blown up and it looked quite heavy although I did not try to pick it up.

You would be better off getting a modeler to do you a large custom or hire a sculptor.

I mean for that money you could 3D scan a 1/48 yamato in your favorite pose, or a nice 1/72 Hasegawa model and have it 3D "printed" in foam core or wood or whatever material you want and then paint it or have an artist paint it and that would look much much much better. Actually that would cost a bit more than 3Gs but it would be cool! With these 3D scan and 3D milling machine "printers" they can do any scale. You could make one 8 feet tall!

Oh, how sweet would it be to have a valk in batt mode done in bronze!? Put it in the middle of a coy pond with bamboo fence? Macross Zen Garden!!!

The “prototype” would certainly cost a fortune. But, once that was knocked out it more could be made to offset the prototype costs. I designed a set of triple clamps for Ducati racebikes last year and by the time the production shop had the CNC machines programmed the first example cost me about $4000. But I washed it out in the first 40 sets that I ordered and it added it only added $100 per set. My base cost per unit is $420.

Of course a VF-1 would be very, very complex. But the shop that does my work has this 3D scanner deal and I’m sure they could scan one in. The size is effectively irrelevant as long as it can fit in the CNC machine (aside from materials cost of course). I don’t know what my shop is limited to as far as media though. Everything I have had them make for me has been metal or Delrin.

I also work with another shop that does 3D modeling for the big three. I have used them in the past to make a mold for some carbon fiber bodywork. They have a 5 axis milling machine that can do things as big as a car! I have seen this thing knocking out a “model” car for the SEMA show, it was amazing.

I am totally talking out of my “A” here, but I would guess that $5000 would cover the design work. Then you could probably get units for $500. They could probably be made to be a little bit poseable too. They wouldn’t be a 1/48 Yamoto, but you could probably get the head, arms in a couple spots and legs in a couple spots. Then someone with some skills would need to paint them. I am well aware that its irresponsible speculation, but I’ll bet if you ran 50 of them they could be had for $600-700 a unit. I would pay that for a 6 foot tall VF-1 with strike armor.