Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

is the VF-171 then in fact somehow based on the VF-17 (and is that the reason for the similarity in designation)?

While we can't be certain, it does appear to be an updated version of the VF-17, with major changes to the nose and canopy and also the addition of wing-mounted ordnance.

Graham

I think in one way the green beam could be similar to the little waves of energy shown radiating out from the compressor wheels in the first VF-0 sequence.. looks kinda cool, gives the impression of some sort of crazy power level.. but never going to happen. It probably indicates some sort of connection being made between systems.. though how it's arcing in pure vacuum I don't know. :p

In the meantime, I couldn't wait. (note to self: don't mix boredom, insanity, and copious amounts of sugar again)

boredom.jpg

Anyone have ideas of how long it'll take any plan views or line art of these new planes to circulate?

(btw, if this doesn't belong in here, I can take it out. just figured insanity is better when shared. :) I might try transforming it as more pics come out.)

Edit: lol.. just noticed why the hips looked funny still in that gif. Someone goofed in the animation, and two of the lower torso sections actually pass right through each other during the transformation. >_<

Edited by Chronocidal

Haha, I don't hate Macross 7. I'm thinking you didn't pick up on my sarcasm either. :/ I was just simply stating that there are things about each series that people do not like. The transformation of this particular valkyrie is one of them.

I did. Hence the <sarcasm> tags to make sure mine was interpreted as such. :lol:

Chill. ;)

Not sure why so many people are getting worked up over the electrical discharges during the VF-25’s transformation. As has been mentioned, these type of flashes were present IIRC in M7 for both the VF-19Kai and the VF-17D/S transformation, although to a lesser degree. Although, the main purpose is probably just to add a bit more visual appeal for the SEED/SEED Destiny generation. I’m sure Kawamori probably has a technical explanation for it.

Same with the VF-25’s Swing-bars, what’s the fuss? These look pretty damn big and strong to me, especially compared to the ultra thin swing-bars shown during the VF-0S transformation. Designing a transforming toy of the VF-25 should be not too difficult according to my understanding of the transformation. Probably the most tricky area for a toy is going to be the shoulders, as these seem to use a VF-11 type transformation method.

Graham

Looked to me that the swing bars are the LERXes, with that said, those are thick pieces and do not look anywhere near as fragile as the VF-0 swing bars shown in Macross Zero ep1.

So I assume that singing won't really matter in the same way as it did with Minmay and the Zentradi, given that well... space bugs don't have ears or cockpits or radios in said cockpits. So it really won't matter either way if they don't listen to Sheryl's song. At least Basara's target audience had ears. :lol:

You're not the boss of whether space bugs have ears, cockpits, or radio's!

Actually, I'm really suprised that the Super Armor has been revealed so soon. Normally, we wouldn't get to see it until at least a third of the way through the show. I guess Big West really wants to build up the hype. I just hope they leave something to surprise us with.

Graham

Oh I'm sure that there's going to be interesting surprises. If not, that would suck. :p

I'd like to see Suzie Newtlet make an appearance, or Aegis Focker. Maybe one of the Genius daughters or their offspring.

This series has the potential for the MOST fanservice.

They'd be able to draw from nearly 70+ years of history. Now whether or not Kawamori and crew use that to their advantage is up to them.

I think if they're going to have Megaroad 1 pop up again, it won't be just for a cameo. My guess would be more along the lines of what happened to the Macross 5, or the group that found the protodevlin. Hopefully not catastrophic, so there are survivors, but finding Hikaru and Misa as old grandparents on some distant colony would be just too easy.

I've got it.. the Megaroad 1 ran into some sort of crazy plague or something that mutates genetic code, and the bugs they're fighting are the former crew of Megaroad 1! :p Actually that sounds too much like Star Trek.

Really, what I'm half expecting at some point is for someone to discover that there is more to the Protoculture than just super intelligent beings spreading genetic code around.. really, the way humans are traveling all over spreading their race, and spreading culture, they're starting to sound an awful lot like the Protoculture themselves, just without the genetic manipulation.. at least, so far. Go far enough in the future, and similar events might happen again... shoot, you play around with space and time enough, and humans might be the Protoculture to begin with. :?

I think in one way the green beam could be similar to the little waves of energy shown radiating out from the compressor wheels in the first VF-0 sequence.. looks kinda cool, gives the impression of some sort of crazy power level.. but never going to happen. It probably indicates some sort of connection being made between systems.. though how it's arcing in pure vacuum I don't know. :p

In the meantime, I couldn't wait. (note to self: don't mix boredom, insanity, and copious amounts of sugar again)

boredom.jpg

Anyone have ideas of how long it'll take any plan views or line art of these new planes to circulate?

(btw, if this doesn't belong in here, I can take it out. just figured insanity is better when shared. :) I might try transforming it as more pics come out.)

Edit: lol.. just noticed why the hips looked funny still in that gif. Someone goofed in the animation, and two of the lower torso sections actually pass right through each other during the transformation. >_<

Can you make one with SV-51 style thrusters (shins in battroid mode) but with the VF-25 feet? That is probably the only design missing for it to by my dream Valk in fighter mode.

Well here's to hoping that if Bandai has the license for toys they actually use it and do a good job, as opposed to an one-cheeked job or sit on the license so no one else can use it without paying an exorbitant fee.

this is worrying, I hate chunkies, they better do a good job, Yamato are kings as it is with the SV-51... I want 1/60 VF-25!

I have a feeling that the armoured VF-25 looks like it's wearing a different set of armour again, I can't help but notice that the boosters looks even bigger and also there is a hell of a lot more stuff on the legs and hips.

Can you make one with SV-51 style thrusters (shins in battroid mode) but with the VF-25 feet? That is probably the only design missing for it to by my dream Valk in fighter mode.

Maybe, but I'm going to wait for references before I try anything more serious with this design. Really, it's only the upper half of the plane with intakes added, and it's really low detail. Only took about an hour to make, after all. :) Besides, I don't want to derail this any further than I already did, anything else will be in the fan works section.

For landing gear, they could pop out the sides of the legs for a change, where the YF-19 had it's missile bays. They might even fit underneath the wing roots in this design. There should be plenty of room either way. Besides, the shots we've seen have all be so fast, it'd be tough to pick out the edges of gear doors.

That reminds me though, did we ever see the VF-17 use landing gear, or was it always launched from that glowy-pokey-tripod-like thing? It's probably safe to assume they had them, but I don't remember where they were mounted.

That reminds me though, did we ever see the VF-17 use landing gear, or was it always launched from that glowy-pokey-tripod-like thing? It's probably safe to assume they had them, but I don't remember where they were mounted.

Yes, we saw the VF-17's landing gear on a few occasions and there is detailed lineart of it in several art books. I'll post a scan when I get home. Basically, it is located on the inner side of the lower legs.

Graham

It looks that way. From what I understand, as major sponsor of the TV series (i.e. financial backer), Bandai gets first dibs on the licence and then it becomes available to other interested parties after a couple of years.

Well if Bandai does get it for a couple of years then it may not be so bad while Yamato keeps on Churning out the previous series Valks. Although, the VF-25 seems too beautiful to wait for.

Well if Bandai does get it for a couple of years then it may not be so bad while Yamato keeps on Churning out the previous series Valks. Although, the VF-25 seems too beautiful to wait for.

It kinda makes ya wonder what Yamato has in store for 2008 considering they don't have the Frontier license.

Heck, my hopes for a VF-4 just shot up a tad bit. :wacko:

Oh no....a Mac7 h8r. :ph34r:

<sarcasm>You can't see? Neither can I frankly. This is Macross Universe after all with flying rocks, birdmen, space whales, space giants, love and song prevailing over weapons....its quite amazing to see a talented pilot/singer do stuff like that huh?</sarcasm>

I'll have to see it to believe it. Frankly I am very disappointed with Bandai's non-gundam and non-SOC releases. Their recent handling of the Evangelion 1.0 toy line was subpar at best even.

To be fair, their non-Gundam kits aren't too bad. MG Patlabor and especially the recent MG-styled Scopedogs. PG-sized jets... the Skygrasper comes to mind, pretty decent offering from Bandai too.

No doubt that their Eva figures are sub-par compard to the Revoltechs though.

If Bandai uses their modeling technology that they have accumulated over the years, a PG VF-25 would be the ultimate air craft model and the greatest thing ever conceived. But IMO plane designs in general are too simple to fully utilize PG tech and the recent MG tech will be sufficient enough.

If Bandai uses their modeling technology that they have accumulated over the years, a PG VF-25 would be the ultimate air craft model and the greatest thing ever conceived. But IMO plane designs in general are too simple to fully utilize PG tech and the recent MG tech will be sufficient enough.

Look at their Macross 2 and Macross 7 model kits. Laughable.

That's because they half assed it. If they put the same amount of time and effort into Macross kits as they do with Gundam, it would be a different story.

Well...we all wished the same. If onyl history proved otherwise.

meh. there's a lot of hollow, unused space on a gundam to fill with inards on a PG kit to make it cool. Not so much space on a valk as most of the internal space is going to be used for stuff like stowing the hands and landing gear, leaving space for the feet/thrusters to tuck into, that sort of stuff.

While it would probably be cool for a valk to get the PG treatment, we'd have to see a damn BIG valk to do the movable frame type stuff.

Anyways, I'd rather continue to have toys with more tampo printing than models.

meh. there's a lot of hollow, unused space on a gundam to fill with inards on a PG kit to make it cool. Not so much space on a valk as most of the internal space is going to be used for stuff like stowing the hands and landing gear, leaving space for the feet/thrusters to tuck into, that sort of stuff.

While it would probably be cool for a valk to get the PG treatment, we'd have to see a damn BIG valk to do the movable frame type stuff.

Anyways, I'd rather continue to have toys with more tampo printing than models.

Yamato is the only one that has made any headway in the toy department. While they too have made mistakes along the way, I'd rather pay for expensive toys than expensive Plamodels. I'll be happy if they don't repeat the folly that was the 1st edition of the VF-0S.

Edited by kensei

I disagree 100% with the last statement, as I have yet to see Bandai do this so called "simple plane design" well. Those ugly forms that some of the "variable" Gundams transform into do not count one bit, not even the PG Zeta Gundam.

Even if the PGs and MGs have superb articulation, I hate the joints that are offered in the Plamodels, as over time they seem to wear out. I want joints that hold their position.

I disagree 100% with the last statement, as I have yet to see Bandai do this so called "simple plane design" well. Those ugly forms that some of the "variable" Gundams transform into do not count one bit, not even the PG Zeta Gundam.

Even if the PGs and MGs have superb articulation, I hate the joints that are offered in the Plamodels, as over time they seem to wear out. I want joints that hold their position.

agreed; curling up into fetal position and using your obscenely large shield to make up the rest of the body does not qualify as "transformation".

agreed; curling up into fetal position and using your obscenely large shield to make up the rest of the body does not qualify as "transformation".

Easy bro, you gotta be mindful of a Gundam's feelings! :unsure: At least they try to be sophisticated! :lol:

The little comic strip of the Destroid Spartan comes to mind. :lol:

Edited by kensei