Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

I'm uploading it to YouTube right now.

To say your efforts are appreciated is an understatement :) Damn Macross Official :angry:

Kelsain

Very nice work. With your color coded guide and the screen shots from the trailer, I think I've got a really good handle of the transformation now. I like it! THanks again.

Ok, excuse me while I wipe myself..... :p

WOW!!

Marchy it looks like the cockpit fits "inside" the nose with the upper fuselage acting as the shield.

I suspect the Megaroad clip is probably a retrospective montage of all the emigration fleets over the years.

There is definitely some bio-engineered type enemy crafts being fought, along the lines of the AFOS, which could mean it's the SA or a remnant of the PC... Either way, a fitting antagonist for the 25th Anni... :D

I'm not so sure that the VF-17 is what it shows, but certainly a fighter that looks based on the 17's design.

Saw some FAST Pack loving and I like the launch tube catapults.

There will definitely be more than one type of fighter, but it is looking like the VF-25 is going to be the hero mecha of this series.

Looks like Sketchley may be right about the pimples being energy weapons...

I'm glad they steered away from the VF-X2 helmets, they just didn't follow the aesthetic of the franchise...

BTW, how the hell did you get screenshots of the video?? What software did you use?

Edited by Zinjo

Those definitely are not VF-17 fighters as they appear in the original design. Too many differences. However, it may be the intention to present them as VF-17 fighters, but the conversion from line art to the practical limitations of a full 3D model are what may account for the differences. Or, they could be modernized variants of the old Nightmare. Either way, damn sick! :)

Zinlovely

The whole nose folds over/inward like a big letter "C." I can see the way it works now. I like it a lot. It certainly appears the protrusions on the forward leading wing edge are guns. But it's kinda hard to tell.

Ooooooh, like what I'm seeing!

Nice touch to have the feet on the VF-25 look like the DYRL? flight uniform feet.

The wings might look like they do on this earlier Kawamori squetch for MF.

vf25blueprintrx2.jpg

Wait a sec.

THIS was the trailer they showed a few months ago at the Minmay Meets Fire Bomber concert?

I'm guessing it'll look even better now that they've had time to polish even more.

Ooooooh, like what I'm seeing!

Nice touch to have the feet on the VF-25 look like the DYRL? flight uniform feet.

The wings might look like they do on this earlier Kawamori squetch for MF.

vf25blueprintrx2.jpg

Who's to day that the the design isn't in the show?

This could be what many are describing as the VF-17.

There is definitely going to be more than one fighter, so anything is possible, at this point...

Right now, and having only seen the static images, I gotta say I'm not liking where the 3D is going in this. The colony ships, not calling them Megaroads as they don't even look like them, are good... VERY good! So good that they look like matte paintings in the style of M7's intro!

And I'm definitely not happy with what appears to be a super robot/magical girl transform that the V-25? has.

Hopefully both will be sorted out...

*waits for the video to finish downloading.....*

They look like 3d rendered VF-17s to me. The nose is slightly longer than on the standard VF-17D/S/T models, and the wings are subtly different. But the rest of the layout looks very much like a VF-17 to me. It could very likely be a later model of VF-17 with some changes, much like how the 19 changed from M+ to M7. If you manage to pause at the right moments to take a good look, everything is in the right place for a VF-17. Those aquamarine valkyries have the right leg/feet configuration, the stabilizers are in the right places at the right angles on what look to be the same type of arms. The head is located in the same area with slightly different details. It has those silver tube-ish things next to the cockpit as well.

In particular if you can pause it at 1:21 in the right frame, you can see the detail of the surface of the fighter very well. It is most definitely a VF-17 variant with a two-head-laser configuration. I'd show screenshots but I don't know how to with windows media player. :p

Larger scan of the Hikaru color VF-25 number 'SMS 007'.

Note the head lasers lying flat and pointing rearward on the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit.

Also the VF-25 appears to have hip/wing-root guns similar to the SV-51 (refer to the grey VF-25 pics I posted earlier).

Note what appear to be small windows on the nose ahead of the cockpit. I'm wondering if this elongated nose houses an internal fold booster?

On the video, I saw missiles pods on the wings of the VF-25.

Graham

post-11-1194653487_thumb.jpg

I am hoping for internal fold capabilites too. :D

I like how it has the YF-19 sheild idea too.

SMS 007... wonder what that stands for. I like my Valkyrie shaken not stirred, or something lol

Thanks G-Man for the awesome scan.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Cross between the Nightmare and a Legioss... i like it!

Yeah it does!! :blink: The center and upper chest shoulder area is very thin(willowy) and it looks weak because of it.

-----

Ok! After watching the trailer I gotta say the the 3D and techno (Star Ocean anyone!?) elements are pretty glaring to the point of annoying and simply over come the simple character designs and animation in general. Now because it's a series and not an OVA I do not expect a Macross Zero level of quality however the 3D is far below the level set by the Strain anime and the Karas OVA. So at best we can hope that they've been polishing the 8th-10th episode right now because if not I'm seeing Vandread level 3D for most of the series. Akin to the junk we've seen with this years Satellite anime. <_<

The music is quite good and does a great job of keeping the old school pop theme in mind and has a nice modern style.

-----

Good stuff Graham!!

Personally, I'm hoping the mysterious organic looking enemy are not related to the AFOS/Protodeviln/Protoculture etc.

Conventional Valks just cannot fight such enemies on equal terms, making the fights too one sided, unless reaction weapons are involved and even then the chance of winning is minimal.

I'm hoping that the enemy is a new race which is about equal in capability to the VF-25. Fights will be more interesting that way.

Graham

I'm sticking with my advanced-variant/changes-due-to-3D-model VF-17 theory. It simply looks too close to what a CG VF-17 would look like to be anything else :)

While it's difficult to be 100% sure, it looks like the VF-17 canopy might have been changed to more of a conventional bubble canopy to improve visibility. Also, the top lasers look too far apart to be the standard VF-17 head lasers, unless that is an animation error.

Graham

Ok guys... I took the DVIX version, ported it into VirtualDub, and did a frame-by-frame...

Caught some screenshots that might be of interest:

A "space scorpion" killing one of those "sorta-VF-17"s...

What appears to be an powered armor of some kind. (Human-sized, apparently.)

A couple shots of the "sorta-VF-17"...

A giant bug destroying a city...

And a cel-shaded VF-25. (Or not cel-shaded, but... Still, there it is.)

~Luke

post-3133-1194665888_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1194665902_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1194665910_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1194665915_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1194665922_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1194665946_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Thanks Luke.

That's confirmation then that the sorta-VF-17 has a different canopy, more widely spaced head lasers, longer nose and different wings (probably other changes as well, but I need to study the pics more).

I'm stoked about the giant bugs. I love the concept of giant bugs as enemies. I'm a huge fan of Heinlein's Starship troopers novel and the Blue Gender TV series. I also thought the giant bugs shown in the Dreamcast Macross M3 opening movie should have been developed more.

Graham