Macross 25th Anniversary and upcoming new TV series thread

azrael

He's only credited as animator for Gunbuster.

I wish they kept ol' Mikimoto around for this one. I can't really take anything seriously as Macross without his beautiful designs.

*cough* Plus *cough*

Hmm, I've never felt that way. Sure I like Mikimoto's work, but I've definitely enjoyed Macross just as much without him and disliked some Macross to which he's contributed. I just want a good story with some good mecha. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

Life isn't always about moral ambiguity, nor is fiction. Sometimes one person is right, and everyone has to come around. That's what was interesting, & somewhat unique about 7. Instead of the hero having to go on a learning journey to find the answer to save everyone, it was everyone else who had to do it. The hero wasn't flawed, brooding, or troubled, he had his sh!t together from the get go.

That's a good point... though, I think the drama of isamu isn't necessarily how he changes, or even that he does, but how he allows the events in his life to change him. As for basra, it's the very fact that he doesn't change, and the reasons behind his views not explored that he's isn't an interesting character to me.

In the end, all I'm saying is that both plus and zero offer up good characterizations. Whether or not you or I happen to like the characters is something else entirely.

It is also quite similar to his work in the crazier battles in the original Mobile Suit Gundam he worked on, never mind that he is specifically credited with action choreography in anime like, oh, Macross Plus. Itano was the animation director on DYRL, and the key animator on the opening for the original SDF Macross as well as mecha animation director for many episodes of the original SDF Macross. The Itano circus is not just missiles, it's all the robots flying around insane as well. He even has people and gunshots flying around all crazy in other shows, like Angel Cop, with its super detailed flying exploding body parts. That is Itano's trademark, NOT Kawamori's.

Edited by Ginrai

Basara doesn't develop as a character because he's not the protagonist, Mylene is, and she develops a lot.

that's pretty debatable. basra is featured on a lot of the promo material, the offical macross website puts him first in the character line ups. Macross 7: Galaxy Calling Me even revolves around him and emilia. Mylene may serve as the audience's POV for the series, but it's pretty clear that Basara is the central protagonist who drives the story forward, imo.

Actually some fleets did have more than 1 City Section, and it's VT-1C.

Thanks for the correction on the VT-1C wasn't sure about that at the time of posting.

I have yet to see any definitive proof that more than one City ship was assigned to a fleet.

With the exception of the brief animation clip of a score of them in orbit, all indications are that each fleet gets 1 City & 1 Battle class ship.

The Mac 5 & 7 fleets which were prominently featured in the Mac 7 show supports this. In no other production is another fleet featured with 2 City class ships.

Keep in mind that the City ship carried a million colonists each (now whether that is actual residents of the City ship or a total fleet population, I am not sure)...

You can understand my confusion on the Itano/ Kawamori issue considering that Itano was the head mechanical animator and his work on Megazone 23 echoes his work on Macross.

Well Itano probably is responsible for the battroid and destroid sequences, but the variable dog fights were Kawamori.

by the way... Project Phoenix, love your avatar of DYRL diorama...got any more pics of it?

Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I just wanted to say that I like your avatar Valkyrie Addict. It is simple, but it's a good shot and Flashback pictures are very rare. Of course, Zinjo has ya beat, but I just wanted to praise your avatar choice too :)

Damn, I stopped looking at this place for like 1 day and I missed all the great news.

Anyway, my thoughts on what we've seen so far:

- Character designs look different from previous magazine scans. Personally I rather prefer the style seen on the scans than the loli-looking characters ( although the girl on the image could look that way because of her age).

- The valk on the photos looks very uninspired and not really advanced-looking by 2070 standards, particularly the head unit, and this comes from the biggest VF-5000 fanboy EVER. I wouldn't mind seeing more Armored core-ish head units from now on.

- The eye-candy seems to be very good quality.

- I really like the title, Macross Frontier sounds really epic.

- I´m really hoping the best for this series but, as others have said before, the team working on this is a bit worrying, except for Yoko Kanno ( YAYYYY ). Just by the fact that this is a 25th anniversary series makes me a bit nervous as there´s more chances of it being more merchandise-driven than M7 was.

- I´m really happy that this series is set on 2070 as I was waiting for something in the lines of VF-X2.

- TENTACLES ! WTF :blink:

- As many of you know, I REALLY liked Macross Zero and its approach towards Macross´s usual topics (war, love, music, valks) so I´m really hoping to see something along those lines or actually better, If the could achieve something like the original series + Zero + VF-X2 + MPlus I´d be the happiest bastard ever.

I don´t know if any of you noticed but the overall plot outline (except for the colony part) sounds a A LOT similar to what we saw in Macross 3D.

It´s sad to see that even in the 25th anniversary, Macross doesn't get as much exposition as Gundam (with their new 00 series) though .

Edited by Aegis!

Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I just wanted to say that I like your avatar Valkyrie Addict. It is simple, but it's a good shot and Flashback pictures are very rare. Of course, Zinjo has ya beat, but I just wanted to praise your avatar choice too :)

Yeah I like both Pheonix's and VA's! Love to see higher res images of both... B))

I was thinking about Macross and tentacles, and the conclusion that I came to is - EVERY Macross anime since SDF:M (excluding Flashback 2012), has had tentacles!

Exedol in DYRL.

Sharon Apple in M+.

Protodevlyn in M7.

Space Whales in M7D.

Octopus in M0.*

*Ok, the last one's a bit of a stretch, but then I have to ask: are the red energy beams fired by the Birdman a kind of tentacle? Since the Birdman is rightfully a monster, and all the previous Macross productions have "monsters from space" (Sharon Apple falls into this broad definition.) Therefore, monsters aren't anything new to Macross...

Edited by sketchley

Thanks for the correction on the VT-1C wasn't sure about that at the time of posting.

I have yet to see any definitive proof that more than one City ship was assigned to a fleet.

With the exception of the brief animation clip of a score of them in orbit, all indications are that each fleet gets 1 City & 1 Battle class ship.

The Mac 5 & 7 fleets which were prominently featured in the Mac 7 show supports this. In no other production is another fleet featured with 2 City class ships.

Keep in mind that the City ship carried a million colonists each (now whether that is actual residents of the City ship or a total fleet population, I am not sure)...

Well Itano probably is responsible for the battroid and destroid sequences, but the variable dog fights were Kawamori.

NM5 Fleet Landing On Rax [sp].

post-401-1187662909_thumb.jpg

Yeah I like both Pheonix's and VA's! Love to see higher res images of both... B))

Thanks. That pic is from last year's Winterfest. I forgot where I go it but I think the hi-res pic is here somewhere.

In any case, I will reserve judgment until I see the full trailer and the first episode.

Video? Yes? No?

No :(

I'm surprised that the trailer hasn't popped up on YouTube yet. I would've expected some clever fan to have captured the trailer on a small camcorder during the presentation.

But it seems we'll have to wait.

I was serching minutes ago, nothing yet :(

Since there's a lot of talk about avatars going on in this thread, I'd like to go on record as saying that I really like my own avatar. Megaman Zero kicks ass. (Sorry, I was feeling left out.)

But to stay on topic, there's some mention of design sketches of the new VF going around a few pages back. Were they posted in the old thread? If someone has them, could they please repost them?

The design sketches that I previously posted were from New Type magazine a couple of months ago. I can't remember where I posted them tho.

However, they were just extremely rough preliminery sketches and from what I understand a great deal has changed since then.

I've been told by 'sources' who have seen it, that the fighter mode of the new VF looks great, but the battroid mode is kinda meh. Still this is highly subjective as everybody has different tastes.

Graham