The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

too bad it'll probably be like $30k just like all new cars these days :(

Probably more. Can't see an SS not being in the high 30's since a G8 GXP will probably be. BUt even the base V6's are supposed to have close to 300hp so that is a nice option for a lot of people (just not me.).

Edited by Gaijin

Okay, I knew it'd be just a matter of time before "tributes" based on the Challenger started cropping up. Looks like an AZ based custom designer will be teaming with Sam Posey to build/sell "Posey Challengers," among other hopped up Challenger specials. So one can't help but wonder with Detroit giving its blessing to all these blatant nostalgia-milking marketing exercises: does it mean that come late 2010, dark blue "Team Penske Special," or "Donohue Tribute" Camaros will start making the rounds on the car show circuits?

Which kinda begs the question: with Ford already selling Mustangs with hyper-inflated window stickers for "Parnelli Jones" and "Dan Gurney" specials, what are they going to do when the 'Stang gets its imminent model facelift, when rumor has it the next iteration is going to more strongly resemble--surprise, surprise--the '70 Mustang?

Posey_PRESS.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Which kinda begs the question: with Ford already selling Mustangs with hyper-inflated window stickers for "Parnelli Jones" and "Dan Gurney" specials, what are they going to do when the 'Stang gets its imminent model facelift, when rumor has it the next iteration is going to more strongly resemble--surprise, surprise--the '70 Mustang?

Mach I would be a nice start.

I'd love to see the boss 302.

Chevy really screwed themselves, Gas will probably be nearly $6 dollars when that thing comes out.

If the SS retails for high $30's whats to keep people from bypassing it and going for the vette instead?

If the SS retails for high $30's whats to keep people from bypassing it and going for the vette instead?

Well I, like some others, would rather have a Camaro/F-bird or even a GTO than a 'Vette. The 'Vette isn't the "ultimate" car for all American car fans...

Edited by myk

They already played that card, didn't they? With the prev gen [s195?] Mustangs? or were those usually by aftermarket customizers?

I won't go so far as to call these new iterations "pony cars"; in fact, I don't know if you'll ever hear anyone accuse the new Challenger of being a pony car. "Clydesdale" is more like it. Oh sure, it's got lots of brawn and tries to look the part; but it's got "too many too's"; too tall, too long, too narrow, too heavy. Make it a bit smaller, shave about 600lbs off the curb weight, and they'll have a potential winner. They say history has a tendancy to repeat itself--it'll be interesting to see if rising oil prices kill off the market segment again [this time, before it can really even make a comeback, establish a foothold].

I dunno though, buyers don't seem willing to give up their SUV's and other luxury items, so people yearning for sportier models may display the same sort of "I want what I want when I want it--so what if I have to raid the 401K" attitude.

the new Challengers are sexy.. I saw my first one up in Phoenix on saturday. it was jet black.

whats funny is from the back they kind of look like an old Nissan 240SX cuz they got that single big wide taillight :p

They already played that card, didn't they? With the prev gen [s195?] Mustangs? or were those usually by aftermarket customizers?

For '03 and '04 Ford released a Mach I that wasn't just a GT with a sticker package; meaningful differences from the GT are a DOHC (32 Valve) engine and functional shaker/hood assembly. As far as playing the card already, Ford had Mach I models in different body styles -- nothing wrong with a new one.

GM put the Camaro SS around the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and scored a lap time of 8 minutes 20 seconds.

So what does that mean? Here are a few cars that scored lap times on that same track:

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - 7:26.4 (manufacturer's claim; corrected time: 7:27.3)

2009 Nissan GT-R - 7:29.03

2005 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - 7:40.0

2007 BMW M3 E93 - 8:05.0

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 8:20.0

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - 8:22.0

This means it's only two seconds faster than a turbocharged FWD 4-banger Chevy.

This means it's only two seconds faster than a turbocharged FWD 4-banger Chevy.

That time for the Camaro isn't reassuring but...I'd say it's the driver's fault. :unsure:

I suppose the big question regarding the Lotus would be: how much will it weigh? Anything over 1950lbs, and the purists may accuse Lotus of heresy...

This resto-mod is in the showroom alongside a new SRT8 at my local Dodge dealer; apparently it's for sale too. Belongs to one of the guys working for NASCAR engine supplier Joey Arrington. Scuttlebut has it that the 6.1 HEMI crate engine is PRE-PRODUCTION; they got their hands on it before they were even officially released by Dodge, and one of Joey's hotshot engineers actually figured out how to map the engine management software for the motor, before Dodge's own engineers had. Of course, this is as told by one of the salesmen at the dealer--so, take it with a grain of salt [or a shovel <_< ]. While I like the new Challenger, I like the original MORE.

DSC00344.JPG

Edited by reddsun1

Yup, when I saw the pics of the production Camaro, I was thinking: okay, not bad, not bad--UNTIL I saw the interior pic. I can't believe they kept the instrument/dash layout from the concept. Just what in the sh*t is with the instrument placement? :huh: What PENIS thought it would be a good idea to put vital gauges--for a car that's supposed to be "performance oriented"--like temp, oil, pressure, etc DOWN ON THE CENTER CONSOLE, IN FRONT OF THE FUGGIN SHIFTER KNOB?! Definitely a WTF-were-you-thinking-moment of grandiose proportions...

Edited by reddsun1

Probably more "retro-themed" nonsense. Didn't some muscle cars from the 60's place 'tachs and other gauges on the center console? When I bought a 'tach for my Charger people told me to mount it on the console. I mounted it on my steering column where I can actually see and use the damn thing...

Original ....

I suppose the big question regarding the Lotus would be: how much will it weigh? Anything over 1950lbs, and the purists may accuse Lotus of heresy...

This resto-mod is in the showroom alongside a new SRT8 at my local Dodge dealer; apparently it's for sale too. Belongs to one of the guys working for NASCAR engine supplier Joey Arrington. Scuttlebut has it that the 6.1 HEMI crate engine is PRE-PRODUCTION; they got their hands on it before they were even officially released by Dodge, and one of Joey's hotshot engineers actually figured out how to map the engine management software for the motor, before Dodge's own engineers had. Of course, this is as told by one of the salesmen at the dealer--so, take it with a grain of salt [or a shovel <_< ]. While I like the new Challenger, I like the original MORE.

DSC00344.JPG

I don' know much about american cars but it reminds me of Starky and Hutch ^_^ , no offense, it's pretty original thought but the body work is uncertain.

Looks like it gobbles up a lot of core, and the exhaust must spit a lot of it too. But it's must be really cool to drive in this kind of car .

And now, for your viewing pleasure, here's Bumblebee: :ph34r:

2010-Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-Yellow-Front-And-Side-Top-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-Yellow-Rear-Angle-Tilt-1920x1440.jpg

2010-Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-Dashboard-1600x1200.jpg

2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS

The yellow color is not a fashionable here , the only cars who you see more with that color are the renault twingo or mail car but the mustand touch is not that bad .

This new version of Wiesmann's GT is powered by a BMW 5 liter V10 that produces 507 bhp and 384 lb-ft torque. Acceleration from 0-62 is 3.9 seconds and top speed is 193 mph. The wheels are a tad too flashy, but otherwise, I'd hit it.

2008-Wiesmann-GT-MF5-Production-Front-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2008-Wiesmann-GT-MF5-Production-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

2008-Wiesmann-GT-MF5-Production-Dashboard-1920x1440.jpg

2008 Wiesmann GT MF5 Production

The wheels are a tad too flashy, but otherwise, I'd hit it. you can't ^_^

God, that thing is hideous both inside and out!

:lol: Each his own !

For the french one , well I kind of prefer the chevrolet camaro than some of this :

I don't like the color either

Blue with red hum hum hum

French car + supra motor? nippon

^-^

the new 308 CC

Mode decapotable

Sober but functional ?

Not for tomorrow....

For me I will say the best is the more ecolo B)) << I'm joking but it will be :

Audi R8 V10 535C une bete de scene !

soft ?!

My future car :lol:

Too bad...

WTF? Next person to multi-quote images gets temp-banned. This page is like 40 screens long...

I just read the rules :rolleyes: I didn't know it was forbidden. It must be a part of spamming? Sorry ^_^

Yeah, rubi. WTF is with you and your multi-quoting fetish?

Yeah I didn't know it , but hey! Did you heard/read him? Looks like you might be the next too :lol:

Ouais, rubi. Qu'est avec votre fétiche de multi-citation?

C'est à moi de vous poser la question ! :D

Edited by rubi

And to take a break from indulging A7's OCD...

Found this gorgeous car on a side street here in Tokyo while walking around this weekend. One nice thing about Japan's ridiculous annual inspection laws is that usually when you see an old car it's absolutely pristine. The owner didn't seem to be around so I couldn't ask him for any details.post-22-1217912639_thumb.jpg

Wow, I guess laws like that would be helpful in that respect. Of course, if a law like that was implemented here I'd be taking the bus for sure.

Question: have any of you guys ever purchased tires online? I was thinking about buying from Discount Tire's direct site which seems cheaper than going local. Obviously I have reservations about buying something as important as tires that I can't see in person. For example, what happens if there's a defect? Also, how will I get these things mounted, etc? Can I expect a store to mount, balance and service tires that aren't theirs? Finally, I guess I can kiss any hope of a warranty goodbye...

Any experiences or advice on the matter is appreciated...