The MW Automotive Thread 3.0

The pic above is 1000x better IMHO. Honestly, the NSX is the ONLY Japanese car I've ever really thought looked cool. But the new one--not at all.

I just sold mine two weeks ago....for all you fellas out there, don't get married. Women are from hell. They're evil creatures disguised as pleasant little beings who keep you happy at night, but once they transform, they make you sell your NSX and feed on whatever manhood you may still have left.

I'll get another one someday, probably an older '92 NSX-R............but that's about as likely as me flying a real VF-1S.

Edited by peter

I just sold mine two weeks ago....for all you fellas out there, don't get married. Women are from hell. They're evil creatures disguised as pleasant little beings who keep you happy at night, but once they transform, they make you sell your NSX and feed on whatever manhood you may still have left.

I'll get another one someday, probably an older '92 NSX-R............but that's about as likely as me flying a real VF-1S.

i like the older ones better, the newer ones got soft IMO, offering a Targa option? that's ridiculous. I originally had High hopes for the NSX, but after they revealed it to be FMR just like the new LF-A (they both have a lot of the same styling cues too) there's nothing about the NSX that holds interest, might as well get a GT-R or wait it out and get the newer V-Spec Nissan has in the works.

It sucks that your wife made you get rid of your NSX, we've all been there, for me it wasn't marriage it was children, after building that MR2 GT i haven't owned a sports car since. I'm hoping to break that streak in about two or three years, have a serious eye aimed at the GT-R or possibly a new RX-7 if Mazda actually decides to build it.

Edited by emajnthis

I'm hoping to break that streak in about two or three years, have a serious eye aimed at the GT-R or possibly a new RX-7 if Mazda actually decides to build it.

Maybe by this time one can get a GT-R at near sticker price. I've been hearing insane (hearsay) stories of obscene bids on these. Rumor has it that a local (to me) speed shop already has a customer delivering one to be modified.

I still see way more Ferrari's than new GT-R's, oddly enough.

It's nice to see Japanese companies getting back in the habit of making kickass cars again. The 350z and STi always felt kind of halfassed compared to the stuff Japan was making in the mid to late 90's, so it's nice to see them getting back into it.

Wow, that Lotus on the previous page looks a bit.... mmm.... I don't like it.

It is already a good car the way it is. 21city/27highway is amazing for a car that takes 4 seconds from 0 to 60. I wonder how much MPG the "green" lotus can achieve.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I have the Lotus bug. I think is Top Gear has ruined my brain.

Are these cars reliable?

1.8 liter engine

1984 lb of curb weight

Oh man...

BTW, I love the old school NSX! Remember Pulp fiction?

once they transform, they make you sell your NSX and feed on whatever manhood you may still have left.

I respect your decision, but why would you let someone talk you into doing such a thing?

That's not uncommon. I may be wrong, but I think that the GT-R has always been speed limited.

I've also heard that the new GT-R has a GPS-enabled speed limiter and that the limiter gets turned off if the car is taken to a race track. I don't know if this is actually true or not, though.

that's only for the JDM GT-R, USDM is not governed, a good number of US models have already been delivered and the people at NAGTROC.org that own them have had nothing but praise for it so far. I notice the members that own JDM models in Singapore and Japan have had a few problems but they're due to them being first releases that had an out of date firmware for the ECU. The good news is all of these bugs have been worked out in preparation for the US release, so for once, the States DOESN'T get screwed when it comes to a Japanese sports car.

Edit:

Also the other advantage the USDM GT-R has is being left hand drive. That would normally be a stupid thing to say, however, the GT-R uses two drive shafts one that runs down the center of the vehicle to the transaxle and another from the transaxle to the motor that just so happens to run down the right side of the vehicle. Obviously there's inherently more weight on the right side of the vehicle from the extra drive shaft and trans weight but this weight is balanced out on the USDM model by having all of the steering hardware on the left side of the vehicle (along with the driver if you generally drive solo).

Edited by emajnthis

whats the GT-R selling for?

pretty expensive I think, right?

I know you guys are fans of Japanese cars but I'm sorry I'd much rather have a new M3 that atleast won't get confused with being a 350-Z or G37 by passerby's.

whats the GT-R selling for?

pretty expensive I think, right?

I know you guys are fans of Japanese cars but I'm sorry I'd much rather have a new M3 that at least won't get confused with being a 350-Z or G37 by passerby's.

The GT-R is supposed to cost $70,000, but given the amount of hype, expect a dealer markup by up to $10 grand.

Speaking of the M3, Car and Driver actually rated it higher than the GT-R on their latest issue (on a 3-way comparison with the Porsche 911 Turbo, which finished third).

I'm considering a new G8 to replace my GTO...decisions, decisions.

Why? Anything wrong with the GTO? I agree that it would be a tough decision.

On one hand, the GTO is a rarity on the road. Of course, its design doesn't scream Muscle Car, but the performance is exceptional. On the other hand, the G8 GXP is faster and has four doors. So if it's a family thing, parting with the GTO may be painful, but the G8 would be the better choice.

The GT-R is supposed to cost $70,000, but given the amount of hype, expect a dealer markup by up to $10 grand.

Speaking of the M3, Car and Driver actually rated it higher than the GT-R on their latest issue (on a 3-way comparison with the Porsche 911 Turbo, which finished third).

a friend of mine got the first new M3 here in Tucson (lucky SOB) and it is one sweet car.

I just think a BMW carries with it a little more prestige and class than a... Nissan.

I'd much rather drop all my money into a car like that than a cult car like a GT-R.

I guarantee the interior is nicer in the BMW too with richer materials.

one thing tho that I bet the Nissan will have on the BMW is reliability.

the Japanese tend to make boring, uninspiring cars (and copy cats, Honda Accord/BMW 5-Series anyone?) but they do make reliable cars.

in 10 years from now the GT-R will probably have held up and required less maintenance than the M3 but still... I rather have the more "exotic" German car.

Why? Anything wrong with the GTO? I agree that it would be a tough decision.

On one hand, the GTO is a rarity on the road. Of course, its design doesn't scream Muscle Car, but the performance is exceptional. On the other hand, the G8 GXP is faster and has four doors. So if it's a family thing, parting with the GTO may be painful, but the G8 would be the better choice.

No, nothing wrong with it, and the family thing isn't a problem.

I just think I want a lil' more room this time around, having lived with F Bodies and the GTO all my life. The GXP would be what I would normally buy but I might just go for a regular GT and mod it a bit.

And oddly though, I even considered the new Maxima for awhile there. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:

I disagree with the M3 over the GT-R, if i were to buy a 3 series i'd skip on the M3 and pick up a 335 or even go down a notch to the 135, i just feel like the M3 lacks the raw performance that made it famous. As far as which is more "exotic" i find the GT-R much more menacing than the M3, it's a car that has to be seen in person to be appreciated where the M3 looks like a riced up 3 series the GT-R has a very refined look from back to front and in person there is no chance you'd mistake it for any other car on the road.

And as far as C&D rating the M3 above the GT-R, C&D has the most bias rating system ever, they said the GT-R bested the ACR Viper, 911 GT2 and ZO6, granted i feel it's a cut above the ZO6, but as far as performance it has nothing on the ACR or the GT2 and yet C&D said it was better than both. Quite frankly the ACR and GT2 are race cars, the GT2 doesn't even have A/C or carpet floors, but somehow they threw them into the mix with the GT-R and they both lost in the "comfort" and "ride quality" categories.... they both don't even qualify for those categories so they basically gave free points to the GT-R. Anyone who is a subscriber to C&D knows that they have to be getting paid under the table since apparently BMW's beat everything that ever existed, i usually ignore their "reviews" and go straight to the spec sheets.

No, nothing wrong with it, and the family thing isn't a problem.

I just think I want a lil' more room this time around, having lived with F Bodies and the GTO all my life. The GXP would be what I would normally buy but I might just go for a regular GT and mod it a bit.

And oddly though, I even considered the new Maxima for awhile there. Maybe I'm just getting old... :lol:

If Ford ever gets off their arse and releases the Falcon 6ge turbo domestically then i'd recommend you buy that. I love the GTO, but it's always nice having four doors and five seats so i'd go with the G8 GXP especially since it's supposed to get that kickin' 402hp LS3.

If Ford ever gets off their arse and releases the Falcon 6ge turbo domestically then i'd recommend you buy that. I love the GTO, but it's always nice having four doors and five seats so i'd go with the G8 GXP especially since it's supposed to get that kickin' 402hp LS3.

Not really a fan of the Falcon even if it did come. GXP would probably depend on final MSRP. Under $35K would be tempting. Over that and I'd just go with the GT. The 402 hp I no longer need (never thought I'd say that).

I've only owned 2 cars in my lifetime out of 8 that didn't have a V8 ('83 Supra and an 89 Tercel), and only one was front drive(the old tercel) so the Maxima would be a radical change of pace compared to my last 4 cars.

If I do cave, it's probably going to be a GT, unless I can find a really nice deal on the GXP next year. Only thing that bothered me was the virtual boy gauges on the center stack that will be gone in '09 and the GXP anyways.

Edited by Gaijin

the Maxima seems a couple years overdue for a facelift so I'd hold out on getting one for now if I was you unless you were looking to get one used.

The Maxima was just redesigned for '09. Looks nice outside...not G8 nice but the interior is definitely nicer than the G8.

The Maxima was just redesigned for '09. Looks nice outside...not G8 nice but the interior is definitely nicer than the G8.

I don't know - it's just that it's trying too hard to look like the Jaguar XF. But then again, the XF ended up looking like a mash-up between a Maxima and a Lexus sedan. Nice use of Infiniti parts for the interior, though.

nismax_09_3_gallery_image_large.jpg

nismax_09_10_gallery_image_large.jpg

nismax_09_14_gallery_image_large.jpg

HA I knew it.

and what do you mean "not G8 nice"....

Pontiac G8's are nice? lol an American car?

pretty much every car made in america except the Corvette just looks like a clunky, heavy-handed FWD blah-mobile to me.

I had a Pontiac G6 GTP rental for about a month and that was one of the worst cars I ever drove. interior was terrible, oversteer to the point that it was scary to stomp on the gas pedal too hard and the whole thing just screamed "when you can't think for yourself and you'll just buy whatever car you see for sale on the teevee own me" ;)

I actually like the way the new Maxima looks. I wasn't happy with the way the past two generations looked, so I'm glad that Nissan finally came through with a nice design.

Speaking of Nissans, I just bought a slightly used 05 SE-R Spec V last weekend.

post-1431-1216434243_thumb.jpg

HA I knew it.

and what do you mean "not G8 nice"....

Pontiac G8's are nice? lol an American car?

pretty much every car made in america except the Corvette just looks like a clunky, heavy-handed FWD blah-mobile to me.

I had a Pontiac G6 GTP rental for about a month and that was one of the worst cars I ever drove. interior was terrible, oversteer to the point that it was scary to stomp on the gas pedal too hard and the whole thing just screamed "when you can't think for yourself and you'll just buy whatever car you see for sale on the teevee own me" ;)

I will agree with you on the G6.

The G8 is no G6.

The G8 isn't even truly American. It's a Holden Commodore. ANd yes, it looks nice to me. Much better in person than on TEEVEE or pics. I didn't like it when I first saw pics...in person it's cool.

If I followed the masses on TEEVEE, I'd own some tree hugging hybrid or some Honda.

Only owned one FWD in my life. Prefer RWD.

Plus the new Maxima is finally going to have some real power squeezing 290hp out of the VQ this year. I think they're trying to get it back to it's roots since the last two generations have strayed tremendously. Also like most modern era Nissan's, the Maxima is something to behold in person as the stance is more aggressive and the fender lines are more prominent, and of course the interior a la Infiniti is very nice. I think Nissan has some good years ahead of them, they really walked into a wall in the mid-late 90's but they've since dug themselves out of the hole to rebuild a respectable lineup.

I will agree with you on the G6.

The G8 is no G6.

The G8 isn't even truly American. It's a Holden Commodore. ANd yes, it looks nice to me. Much better in person than on TEEVEE or pics. I didn't like it when I first saw pics...in person it's cool.

If I followed the masses on TEEVEE, I'd own some tree hugging hybrid or some Honda.

Only owned one FWD in my life. Prefer RWD.

I didn't realize that.

I always thought the GTO was pretty cool so its good that Pontiac is doing something smart with the G series and using another Aussie car.

I'll have to take a second look at those.

Too heavy, too late. Gimme a Challenger. (yes, the Challenger's heavy too-but that's because it's essentially a Chrysler 300---the Camaro is all-new and has no excuse for being that fat and gas-sucking) I'm a huge Camaro fan, but the more I learn/see, the less enthused I am. Whereas the Challenger had me from the first pic.

The specs are indeed impressive. Figured she'd be heavy looking at the early pics,and Zeta is just a porker. Look at the G8/Commodore. But then again, my GTO is already over 3700 lbs but feels lighter than my 'Hawk ever did. Challenger is based on a 300 but Camaro is based on Zeta which is already a heavy platform so I kinda expected it.

I especially liked how it looks almost identical to the concept. That's what disappointed me about the current Mustang.

Hmmm....was afraid the new Camaro might rear it's head in my next car choice. Old school goodness vs utility...the battle in my head continues. If the HUD makes production, it will sway me quite a bit. The interior lighting on ignition is actually kinda cool too.

Ignition Video

Edited by Gaijin